Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Dragon's Heart

A scent pulsing with vitality, warmth and insurmountable strength: dragon's blood resin, red and black musks, a throb of fig and a sliver of black currant.

Very spicy and warm, but a little too overwhelming on my skin.

Dragon's Heart was very fruity and sweet on me. I guess the dragon's blood is sweet to begin with and then when the fig and currant are added...whoa! Overload. It was nice for a bit but it's one of those scents that's too cloying by the end of the day.

Reminded me of cherry Coke on first application, though. Mmm.

So far, this has proven to be the strongest, most longest-lasting of the dragon scents for me. It's very much the same for me from bottle to hours and hours of drydown later: dragon's blood and the almost black-cherry-like sweetness of the currant. The currant is almost a touch TOO strong for me, but it's completely wearable.

This is one of the most longest-lasting BPAL scents I've tried, and a definite keeper. Not my favorite of the ars draconis, but one of my top three.

I got this as a frimp with my 'Holy Crap, Fall Scents' order, and was quite happy about it. I've always kind of wanted to try one of the Dragon scents, but had stayed away from buying, since I had no idea what the Dragon's Blood Resin ingredient was supposed to smell like.

This one is kind of like a deeper Eat Me-- the currentey sweet smell is there, but the musks kind of make it a bit more like a Snake Oil type smell on me. I kind of like it, but my fiancee thinks it smells like bathroom air freshener.

This is, first and foremost, the typical red and tingly dragon's blood resin. Just behind that sits a lovely mix of musks, much lighter than Dragon's Musk, and with just the barest hint of the signature red musk scent. The fig really warms this up and rounds it out, giving it a warm and glowing sort of aura. I can't individually detect the currant but I'm sure it's lending itself subtly to the other notes.

This is one of my top three Ars Draconis scents.

in the bottle i'm not getting any dragon's blood from this. it smells like patchouli, liek woah. and i'm really not a fan of patchouli at all. there is a slice of fruit, but overall is very, very heavy.

wet on skin ah. well, there's all the dragon's blood. and... that's all i can smell.

dry on skin nummy! musk and fruit and sweet. still just a smidge too dragon's bloody for me, though.

two hours later not a lot of change. mostly musk and DB. this is just similar enough to my other ars draconis imp (dragon's hide) that i'm not sure i'd need one of each. they're slightly different, but dragon's blood is the thing.

This was my first encounter with dragon's blood.

In the vial: dark and musky.

Wet on skin: rich, dark musk. I was told that dragon's blood is very sweet and fruity, but I'm not getting that at all. It's very dry and masculine.

Dry on skin: ah, is this what dragon's blood smells like? It's a bit sweeter and fruitier now, but with an odd, medicinal twang that reminds me of something in my elderly father-in-law's house. It's probably just my chemistry messing it up, but this is definitely not for me! However, it's sweeter on my daughter, so I think I'll pass it on to her.

Bottle: Patchouli

Wet: Dragon's blood always smells like patchouli to me. I smell the black currant just a bit, but the musk is coming out big time! It is very masculine.

Drydown: This is far too masculine and patchouli like for me. I'd hoped the black currant and fig would balance it out, but it just doesn't.

2.5 outta 5

In the Imp:I smell a good ol' dose of Dragon's Blood. It smells very earthy.

Wet: Sexy, musky, resiny. I used to burn a lot of Dragon's Blood Resin incense in junior high. This takes me back to that.

Dry: It's nice. Every other note definitely takes a back seat to the Dragon's Blood, but it still smells nice and deeply, richly sweet as a whole.

Overall: Nice introduction to the Ars Draconis group. I'll definitely be trying out more scents here.

3.5 out of 5

Oh, how disappointing.....

First, a big thanks to Shollin for enabling me to try Dragon's Heart. But it's a no-go.

I get no Dragon's Blood (a note I love, and the reason I was so excited about this scent) :P

I get no Fig :D

I get no Black Currant :D

I get only musky musky musky musk.

And it's not good.

Bad skin chemistry! Bad!

Tzi

Imp: Fruit, fruit, fruit.

On: I definitely get the dragon's blood--usually fruity-spicy on me, and that's all for the good. Nothing much else yet...

Drydown: five minutes into drydown, and the currant joins the party. There's just a faint waft of fig, too. But it's spicy-currant-fig-fruit, a bit of a mishmash until a couple of minutes later, when the dragon's blood twists into the more resiny incarnation I sometimes get out of it, and then the currant really pops out.

Edited by YoakeNoKami

imp: dark, musky fruits.

wet: i can smell the dragon's blood better once applied. it's a dark, rich scent.

dry: musk and dragon's blood and fruits. this sorts reminds me of a lighter version of kabuki.

Hmm.. there's something odd about this. Sort of a dusky, musky, and strong spiciness that reminds me vaguely of.. burnt eggs.. or something :P plus musk and some odd sweetness. This has been my introduction to dragon's blood, so I guess that's what dragon's blood smells like. It's probably 95% my skin chemistry being sucky. But this sort of gives me a headache, unfortunately. :D Swappin'.

I found this one odd, too. I received a very generous frimp in a forum swap, and since I love musk and blackcurrant both, I thought I had a real winner. Once my body chemistry got hold of it, all I could smell was the dragon's blood, which morphed into a really odd old lady perfume in about an hour and then dried down to the faintest breath of baby powder within a couple of hours. It was just strange on me from beginning to end. I haven't had a great deal of luck with the ars draconis blends...but the straight up dragon's blood is great, so I guess I'll have to stick with it!

[Lab frimp - w00t!]

Sexy, musky, slightly cherryish incense. Rowr.

It lasts a good long time too. And then the man says:

<sniff sniff sniff> "Do you smell something burning?"

:P

I will save this for "Girls' Night Out" events.

I received a tarted imp of this in a swap so it must be well aged.

I get a sweet burst of fruitiness as the top note with a bottom note of musk.

The sweetness and fruitiness of this blend dries down pretty quickly on me, leaving a pleasant but unremarkable resinous Dragon's Blood/musk behind.

It's very nice with my chemistry. It's just that there are other ars draconis blends that freak me out with their awesomeness, and Dragon's Heart is not as impressive next to them. (I love D.Milk and D.Reverie.)

3.5 out of 5

I was worried about this one. I had tried a different scent with dragon's blood in it, and that ended up being a cloyingly sweet cherry floral...

This, though...

The amber(or is it musk? I don't see amber listed, but, I am fairly new to scents) was the most noticable in the imp and wet on me. Then it dried down to a very warm sweet incensy fragrance. The dragon's blood note seems to throw further than the rest of the scents, so the wafting scent is more dragon's blood than what I get if I get close to my skin to sniff.

I don't know if I want a bottle, but, I am not nearly as worried about dragon's blood in scents after this one. I'll keep it and use it, when the mood strikes.

Later,

This is also lasting amazingly well on my skin. I put it on at 5:30 AM this morning, and it is now 3:00 PM and I can still smell it clearly. It has settled down into a warm, slightly sweet, spicy musk. If my husband can bring himself to say something more complimentary than, "Yeah, it's perfume," then we'll see about getting more.

Edited by Aerinha

This imp was given to me as a friend, and I thought I'd add my two cents..

In bottle: Dragon's blood, but it smells dark and juicy!

Wet on skin: It's still dark, but also sticky sweet...very warm.

Dry down: Now there's only a hint of fruit for me; musks are dominant, with the dragon's blood still in the forefront. Softened down, very pleasant, like a dragon giving you a back rub. :P This would be my signature scent if I wore a corset all of the time.

Edited to add: Okay, now that I've worn this a few times, it has become my favorite scent! Unfortunately, there wasn't a lot of oil left in the imp she gave me, so I will HAVE to get a big bottle of this, pronto! I highly encourage anyone who likes warm/dragon's blood scents to try this one. :D

Edited by Marcella

I got this as a frimp in a lab order! Thanks to the labbies, first and foremost.

I. Love. This. Scent.

Imp: Dark, sweet, sticky musk that, as the lab description implies, throbs with life. The sweetness is not overwhelming though. The dragon's blood evens out the sweetness of the fig, leaving this very pleasant. It actually smells almost more floral than fruity to me.

Wet: About the same as the imp. However! As *ahem* my hormones hit a Certain Point in the monthly cycle I can tell how people can get patchouli from dragons blood. But, for the other 3/4s of the month, it's identical to what's in the imp. I will also note that the oil actually is kinda thick and sticky. And red. This certainly aids to the imagry of a dragon's heart, full of rich blood, beating within the breast of the wyrm. Hoo boy! Y'know I gotta like this scent when I dip into overly florid descriptions involving imaginary animals.

Dry: Dragon's blood comes out a bit more, evening this scent out into something that is well... wonderful. This is a dark red and black scent, but, I'd hesitate to call it 'dark' because of the sense of life it imparts. Though, I have to be careful with this scent because a little bit goes a long way, and, I can see this easily being overwhelming if I wear too much...

This demands a bottle!

5 out of 5 bloody, throbbing, dragon hearts.

This smells exactly like I was hoping it would, exactly what I was searching for.

This is my favourite scent at the moment.

In the imp, and when initially applied to my skin,it seems as though it could be masculine. But so quickly it transforms into this wonderfully feminine fragrance.

I wanted this to smell like the glorious dragon's blood incense that I like to burn. And it does.

The scent does like to sit around me, so others can certainly smell it when I'm sitting next to them.

It's so delicious!

I'll be ordering a bottle when my Imp is gone.

I love the way dragon blood smells but I suspect it doesn't like me as much. Initially I get a heavy red musk smell, which I LOVE and a few minutes after dry down, it smells a lot like baby powder on me, red musk baby powder. Perhaps I need to re-try this scent because I think it could be my body chemistry, which has been a bit weird lately.. I can see why it's so popular. It reminds me almost of snake oil but this one has a stronger throw a bit more muskier. Perhaps another day Dragon's Heart...

Dragon's Milk did such bad things to me I was a little leary about Dragon's Heart. I like this one, though I am not entirely sure it's for me. It does smell very red....and black at the same time. It is spicy but sweet, but to me it also has the tiniest hint of a metallic smell. It seems very rich and grown up. Maybe a little too grown up for me just yet. I will save it to try again later just to be sure,

The throw is considerably lighter than Dragon's Milk, but it could well be younger. Very pretty - sweeter than Dragon's Reverie, with the berries, and highly wearable.

I may have to wait and see if it goes thicker and stronger with age...

In The Bottle

Spicey and musky

On Application

Very resinous and potent. Not a lot of sweetness.

Dry Down

The earthy fig pokes through in the early stages and the blend starts to sweeten as it settles and warms. This may a bit too strong for me. Will have to give it another go but at this stage ths isn't for me.

Rating (0-5)