Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Rose, rose geranium, myrrh, ylang ylang, French gardenia, tuberose, red sandalwood, and palmarosa.

In the bottle: Rose! Sweet, fruity rose ALA Peacock Queen or Rose Red. There's a depth here, however, through the myrrh and ylang ylang. I can also sense a bit of gardenia underneath all the ROSE.
Wet: Rose, like in the bottle, sweet and fruity, with a bit of smooth, powdery ylang ylang. Gardenia is underneath the rose. This is definitely floral, but it's not "knock you over" floral. After a bit, the ylang ylang becomes dominant over the rose. Don't misunderstand, however - this is still a heavily rose blend.
Dry: This dries down to a gentle rose/ylang ylang blend, very soft and sweet with just a hint of powder. I hate powdery scents, so it should tell you something that I actually like this. The powder is very faint.

Initial Impression:

Rose! Lots of rose! With just a touch of gardenia

After Wearing It:

Elegant, regal floral. The rose is most prominent in this blend, with the sweetness of gardenia behind it. Rose gets really loud with my skin chemistry, so it can be pretty hard to smell any other notes in blend when its there. There are some exceptions of course, but at least on me, Marguerite is not one of them. I think this would be nice for rose fans, it's very elegant and sophisticated. But unfortunately it doesn't do a lot for me.

Final Thoughts:

Not my cup of tea, but I wasn't expecting it to be so I'm not too disappointed. I'm picky when it comes to floral scents, and rose in general rarely works on me. Still, I do think this would be a beautiful blend on the right person so I wouldn't discourage anyone from giving it a try!

I'm not a lover of overly floral blends and my skin amps rose like nobody's business, but I did obtain a decant of Marguerite just to satisfy my curiosity. Also, my husband HATES rose blends and says that I smell like and old lady when I am wearing them. But he actually didn't say that about this one, which is kind of surprising!

Marguerite is indeed a lovely, sophisticated rose-based blend. It strikes me as a very proper ladylike, old-fashioned English scent, if that makes sense!

In the bottle, it's a really lovely rose blend, and I can smell myrrh and gardenia in the background.

On my skin, as expected, it's rose to the infinite power! :P

If you love rose blends and/or sophisticated floral blends, you must try this!

MARGUERITE

In Bottle: Soft rose

On Skin: The rose amps on me right away. Sour and extreme, it’s the floral that really hates me. But, the gardenia is nice and creamy and helps smooth out the harshness of the rose on me. The myrrh is nice and resinous giving the perfect depth and the sandalwood rounds it out with a woody base. A floral scent for those of you who especially like rose. Strong throw, average wearlength.

This smells like an English Rose Garden, with a dazzling array of different roses mingling and moving in and out. Mainly tuberose. I can smell a hint of geranium. But instead of just being a placid floral, the ylang ylang gives it a sharp almost vinegary edge.

I think this scent is too rosy to convert the anti-rose BPAL factions, but if you love rose this is something a little different for your collection. It's very pretty.

This is very strong, heady rose on me. All rose, all the time. :P Rose goes sour and sharp and old lady on me, so this is another blend that I'll have to pass on.

Rose is one of my archnemeses, always guaranteed to amp the heck out of itself and overpower any blend I wear that has it in it. The ironic thing is I love roses in vivo, but as a personal perfume I now know to avoid it. Of course, that didn't stop me from nabbing Marguerite, because, well, hope springs eternal?

Wet, in the vial, Marge is a glowy green translucent color. I smell dewy roses. The rose note is similar to the wet/damp dew note that Rose Red presented to me, and I'd say it most links with the roses experienced in Libertine/Two, Five, and Seven. On my skin, there's a huge mishmash of Rose +. That is, to say, it is definitely rose, and the other florals and floral-like oils in this complement and push the rose forward. There's a distinct herbal bitterness, a tang, that I've come to associate with palmarosa, and over time, Marguerite calms down just a tad so that I can experience the scent as a rose scent with an undercurrent of waxy petals underneath (must be gardenia, tuberose). The overall effect is very complex, yet not. Hard to describe. Me? I currently smell like a rose, all the time, yet this is a very complicated, richly layered blend.

I'm probably going to keep the decant for very specific times.

First sniff: Marguerite is quite the prim and proper lady, all genteel roses and sweet gardenia.

Wearing: Gently, sweetly floral, with a whole lot of rose and an undercurrent of gardenia. Roses rarely work on me, but this is really nice.

This is officially one of my new favorite rose blends, and one of my new favorite floral BPALs. I tried it in knowing that it was floral, but not remembering what the exact notes were. Marguerite has a sweet, almost fruity quality, so I was surprised to find that there is no fruit, no honey, no skin musk, no anything like that in the notes.

First and foremost, this is a rose scent. Rich red rose, lightened by rose geranium and brightened by ylang ylang. The gardenia adds a creamy sweetness, but I don't really single it out. Actually, in general, this scent blends really well. I can guess at what's in it if I really look for the individual notes, but they really cohere into a singular blend.

Red sandalwood and I have a history, so that is the note I was most worried about, but it behaves admirably. It adds a light, warm wood touch to the base. The myrrh adds a hint of resiny richness, but also doesn't call attention to itself. And then there's the palmarosa, helping to round things out.

This is my favorite kind of floral scent -- it smells like a walk through a garden, but really it's richer and more well-rounded than that. Not so dry as a purely floral blend. It's a lighter, girlier rose blend, I think, but still very classic.

Try it if you like: Lady Luck Blues, Abhisarika, The Presence of Love, Peacock Queen, Three Brides...

Edited by naeelah

Marguerite is roses gone wrong on me. Its almost rancid in the bottle and on my skin. I wasnt expecting much since I'm not a rose lover, so I'm not terribly dissapointed, but its defiitely a no go for me.

Damn you, ylang ylang! I and my migraines curse you. :P

Rose, gardenia, tuberose, and sandalwood all at once? Oh how I want you!

But DAMN YOU ylang ylang!

straight sniff from bottle is sweet, fruity rose...

once applied this is absolutely gorgeous~~the floral fruit is wonderful and tempered

with tuberose and red sandalwood it is a complete winner for me...i will be reaching

for this regularly and can see this as being a fav :P

This is rosy in the vial, and holy crap! rose on. It's mostly the sharp red rose from the BPTP Queen's Croquet Ground. On drydown it's getting a bit more powdery and thick. An hour later it's still mostly rose, with a little geranium and myrrh. Unfortunately, the other florals haven't shown up.

In the imp and wet: Rose, rose and more rose...

Dry: The rose is toned down with a bit of gardenia.

I didn't think I would like this very well, enough to buy more since I have a lot of rose fragrances, but the gardenia gives Marguerite an edge over all the other rose blends. I do think I have to be careful though, because I think Marguerite wants to give me a headache. I'll put her on lighter next time. But I WILL put her on again.

Damn you, ylang ylang! I and my migraines curse you. :P

Rose, gardenia, tuberose, and sandalwood all at once? Oh how I want you!

But DAMN YOU ylang ylang!

In the imp, the most luscious rose dominates. Me likey, I thought, and slathered.

Soon there was a war on my wrist.

"I am beautiful," trilled the Rose.

"Get off my block," responded Ylang Ylang, hands on hips. After kicking poor Rose repeatedly with her Doc Martens, all that was left was the stanky stinky residue of dead flowers in water, that really nasty smell when you've allowed your roses to sit in a vase long past their due date.

Off to swaps.

But first, I'll try to remove all traces of YY and her Doc Martens.

Marguerite is rose, but there's an undertone that's sort of green and dewy and somewhat herbaceous. I know that the rose geranium is noticeable especially at first, but then the gardenia and waxy, dusky tuberose shift the blend over to more of a regal, smooth floral. I do get a touch of the myrrh and sandalwood especially after the florals have settled out. Those lend a nice bit of depth to this lovely floral. It's definitely for rose lovers, but it's a very different sort of rose blend, and one worth checking out because of that. I can't think of anything to compare this to!

Wet this is a wonderful mix of roses! It's sweet and dewy like the Venus celestial oil (not the TAL one). When first on this is a mix of florals and a hint of an herbal or wood note. There's also something that smells "yellow" like lemon but not quite. After about an hour this is very powdery and floral but I can't really smell the roses at all at this stage. On the drydown this is soft pink roses. This is a very pretty floral blend. It's nice but is a little too powdery for me.

In the imp: Rose (I wrote in my journal "oooh! Pretty rose!). It is somewhere between the rose in Peacock Queen and Rose Red 07 (as I think someone mentioned before), though it's not as pure a rose as either of them. There is gardenia for sure here which I LOVE.

Wet: Very interesting. The rose geranium adds an interesting depth to the rose (I can never quite figure out how to describe geranium, very sharp though) and there is a sliver of dry sandalwood.

Drydown: Rose, but...a very intriguing rose (yay ylang-ylang! It is frequently the savior of rose for me). This and Gwyeneth are probably two of the most complex rose scents Ive tried from BPAL so far. There is something akin to Erato here, but it is not quite so aggressively rose potpourri like, despite having an amazing throw and wear length (I only tested a drop and hours later, after a nap even, and I'm still catching whiffs). There is something a bit powdery to it, but it's such a nice, well blended powder, that you don't even notice--like really expensive french rose toiletries. Or something.

Helloooo Rose!

Definitely a rose floral mix. Rose is the dominant note in the bottle and wet on skin.

On drydown, the ylang ylang comes out, and turns this into a very heady floral. Scent is so strong it's giving me a headache.

In the vial, Marguerite is like a swift floral kick to the face. It screams ROSE first and foremost, but there's also an elegant, perfumey, extra dose of serious floral underneath the rose.

I pretty much cannot ever pull off ylang ylang or tuberose. Gardenia is also troublesome. I do *love* a lot of the lab's rose blends though (The Peacock Queen & Parlement of Foules being my two main favorites).

The rose in Marguerite reminds me of the rich, deep rose that's in Whip. Almost a bit of a spicy rose (spicy floral, not spice like cinnamon or anything of the sort), and almost a bit wet smelling (not wet like green stems or Rose Red, but wet like freshy crushed, deep red rose petals). It's also a rose that has a bit of sweetness to it, and I love that.

It's not quite as sweet as The Peacock Queen; it's darker, deeper, and more serious/elegant. I can't pick out any of the notes that were worrying me. This is like pure rose. It's like Whip minus the leather on me. All rose, and a truly gorgeous rose...

I'll be getting a full bottle of Marguerite before the carnaval leaves town :P

Well, Marguerite has helped clear up something once and for all-- ylang-ylang and me do not get along-along :P

I had to get this blend because I love rose and I ADORE red sandalwood, I've been lusting after tuberose, and I can even manage gardenia. I think I did realize, however, that this is something of an updated version of Silentium Amoris, which didn't work at all on me.

Actually, on my skin, they smell frighteningly the same-- ylang-ylang and a mild hint of my least-favorite kind of rose. I don't smell a single whiff of sandalwood. So, it seems I amp ylang-ylang-- good to know. I will be avoiding it like the plague from now on.

Marguerite - This is a really strong, fresh-cut, real rose scent at first, but then the tuberose scent comes out and smells really sweet and I really love it (I'm a huge fan of tuberose). Something in it is powdery and it starts to smell like a rose-scented LUSH Rock Star soap. It's gorgeous but a bit much, and needs to be worn very lightly due to how strong it is. It's not one I'll wear often, but probably on occasion when I want a really sweet rose scent.

Rose, rose, rose, rose geranium. Not the sweeter rose of Victoria and Moon Rose that I am so fond of either. It almost has a lemony quality to it. I hope that the sandalwood perks up later, or the gardenia (assuming that french gardenia is similar to most gardenia anyway.)

The strong rose doesn't ever back down with this one. It keeps that astringent lemony quality. Eventually I can just barely sense a sweetness, which is likely the gardenia, but it doesn't come out enough to make this wearable for me.

Oh, Marguerite. I had such hopes for you. After all, you are rose! Ylang ylang! Tuberose! Red sandalwood! You've got to be awesome, right?

Sadly, no. First on, all I get is rose geranium and myrrh, which has killed more than one BPAL for me (Bilquis, I'm looking at you). Over time, you fade to rose headshop incense. And while that scent vividly conjures up a certain period in my youth in its entirety, that period sucked and makes me glad I'm an old lady now. :P