Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Josh

The Two-Headed Goat

Dark musk, pimento berry, oakmoss, birch wood, and petitgrain.

I'm not crazy about this one.. very dark and masculine. I get cigarette smoke too- like someone else said.

In the bottle

Wow, Pimento, Petitgrain, wood, this is really spicy and complex

Wet on skin

The Petitgrain comes to the fore, but the oakmoss and birchwood hold it back and stop it from becoming overwhelmingly sweet. It's definitely a masculine note, but that's fine by me.

Drydown

The musk comes out to play, but petitgrain is still the main note with a hint of spicy pepper, and soft warm musk.

Finish

Soft, dark woody musk with a hint of orange peel from the petitgrainWearlength

Wearlength

Average

Throw

Strong

Mood

Brisk, Woodsy, Outdoorsy, and yes, just a tiny bit goaty, but in a delicious rich fruity goats cheese sort of way, not an ancient minging afghan coat sort of way.

Pan in an Arran sweater, offering wild goats cheese on oatcakes, with very good whiskey. Oops does that tell you more about me than the perfume?

Verdict

I think I like this one. Not sure it's bottle worthy, but I will enjoy the Imp.

Hmmmm... Not goaty at all on me. Then again, dark musk tends to go all light and powdery on my skin, something I occasionally forget. On the whole, this scent is a lot sweeter and more perfumey than I would have anticipated.

In the early stages, it has a bit of that men's-scent feel, but that fades as the dark musk sweetens up, and it becomes almost feminine. Kind of a sweet, dry, slightly powdery herbal perfume, like a Victorian dusting powder or something. Though further along, the sweetness diminishes a bit -- maybe a Victorian gentleman's dusting powder, if such a thing exists?

Anyway, it's not bad, but not really for me, I think.

Grade: C+/B-

this is a very unique and different cologne. at first, i smell dark, mossy woods. i’m guessing it’s heavy on the oakmoss. but there’s also something that makes me think of the smell of hot asphalt – a smell i happen to find appealing. in fact i can’t seem to stop sniffing my skin.

it sweetens up slightly after awhile, as the musk develops. at this point it smells slightly less unusual, but it’s still got that pleasantly chemical asphalt scent lingering in the background. i like it best at this point.

however, after about 10 minutes, the pimento berries make their presence felt, and i don’t care for the odd berry/asphalt contrast. it’s like two very different notes are playing tug-of-war in my nose. this phase lasts until the scent fades entirely. i’m glad i only got a small amount of this one. it started off so interesting, but in the end, it just wasn’t right for me.

In bottle/imp: Strong, complex cologne. Herbal, but clean.

Immediately on skin: This is a very “hight” scent. It’s almost a clean scent, but it’s almost spicy too. I think that’s the pimento berry and oakmoss blending together. It’s very unisex, sharp, and cologne-y.

After a little while: Wow, this turns to baby powder on me pretty quickly and then stays like that. It’s the dark musk, I’m sure. Behind that is the light spiciness of the pimento and the fresh feel of the oakmoss.

Overall Impressions: This is a more unisex, drier scent for sure. It’s very high and powdery with a kick of spice and a very interesting cologne-y type of feel. The dark musk goes totally to powder on my skin, so this doesn’t work for me. It’s interesting to sniff though, and totally not what I was expecting for a goat scent!

The Two Headed Goat

In the imp: spicy masculine dark musk cologne.

Wet on skin: petitgrain really pops out now, that’s where the cologne note comes from.

Dry on skin: spicy orange blossom and musk. This smells just like the smell of crushing a leaf from an orange tree, mixed with a spicy sharpness, and an undertone of dark sweet musk. The overall smell is like cologne, sharp and tangy and quite manly, with a touch of moss. It’s a little too sharp for now but the scent is really interesting. I do get a hint of Schwarzer Mond, but that’s just from the musky pimento…it doesn’t have the resins from that scent.

After a while: the sharp pimento and cologne have calmed dramatically. Now the musk, moss and birch are dominant. The dark musk is the sweet, slick and oily type, the moss adds a hint of powdery-dusty greenness, I think I smell a hint of birch tar as well, smoky and woodsy. It reminds me slightly of Luperci’s musk-moss mix, but without patchouli and beeswax.

There’s a stage when the musk here goes all amber-vanilla and it smells wonderful and wafts like crazy, but it’s fleeting. The drydown after that is dominated by the moss, a soft green powder with the remains of the musk lingering.

Verdict: this was an interesting one. It started out as smelling very masculine on me, like a classy cologne, lots of petitgrain and dark, manly musk. It’s also got an orange blossomy smell to it, tangy and bright, but with that sweet dark musk underneath and a bit of pimento spice. The drydown is a lot nicer-when the cologne calms and smells a bit like a sibling to Luperci, thanks to the moss. It’s a pleasant scent but ultimately too much of a man scent for me to pull off.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Not really.

If you like this, try: Omen, Dance of Death, Luperci, Greed, Titus Andronicus

in the bottle this is prickly and... a little... pickle-y. that's weird.

wet on skin that musk is fierce. but... but... where did the lemon come from? the scent under the lemon is dark and shaggy and resinous and just really amazing, so i have no idea where this lemon top-note is coming from or how it even goes with all the shagginess, but it totally does.

dry on skin the musk goes a tiny bit powdery and the resins really start throwing their weight around. it's oddly not a particularly dry scent, which is what oakmoss usually imparts. it retains that fruity tart lemon note. it's not berry, it's distinctly lemon curd. that sour citrus over the dark, crusty resins make this a deeply fantastic men's scent. i can't even believe i'm saying this, but this is almost too masculine for me.

Very dark and masculine as other reviews have said. It's very alluring to me, though. There's a subtle sweetness I'm really enjoying - great throw. I'm worried it will be too much for my classmates, but I really like it! Something about it reminds me of a Villainess soap - Asphyxiate, I think.

Love's Baby Soft + Wood. Something in here went all baby powder of DOOM on me, and the woods tried to make it a little interesting but I have HORRIBLE associations with baby powder so this will NOT be staying with me.

Imp: Sharp and herbal

Wet: I'm amping the petitgrain. It's a young green leafy herbal scent with a not quite tang edge. It's so hard to describe... :think:

Drydown: I'm starting to smell the wood. The petitgrain has mellowed out. Now there's a slight burnt note. This keeps morphing...It goes slightly waxy for a minute, then that goes away. The musk has finally made an appearance. It is sweetening things up (as musk usually does on me. thankfully, it doesn't usually go powder like it seems to do to many others.).

Overall: What a morpher! It is a very interesting ride of a scent. I see why it's called two-headed. It's as though this scent has multiple personalities. :lol: I have to admit I like it though.

I got this scent for my spouse as a birthday gift, but I went and did the toothpick test because y'know, curiosity and all.

I'm sort of surprised that more people haven't reviewed this, and maybe they think it is going to smell like a stinky old goat. Hardly. This scent is a clean man scent and I find it very pleasant. By "clean man," I mean a guy who is fresh out of shower and just put on a bit of a vaguely peppery and smoky musk cologne. I say that because this scent has a clean deodorant soap quality, and yet I also whiff the black musk, woods and pepper. I'm sure I'm smelling some pimento, but it doesn't jump out at me.

I think this should be a top pick when someone is looking for a starter BPAL scent for a person of the male variety. It's a clean skin scent with a touch of darkness. It gives off a nice clean guy scent that most men get utterly by accident, when their deodorant and cologne merge into something sort of divergent yet interesting. And that isn't goaty, not one little bit!

This blend does not match the name at all. I find THG a delicate, feminine blend, when all is said and done on the drydown. "Fairy Musk" would have matched better I think. This is a soft, delicate musk on me, very reminiscent of "Creature Feature". I never would have picked this bottle up looking at the notes, and very thankful to have obtained a sniffie. Bottle purchase fer sure!!! :wub2:

imp: a sharp, earthy, musk scent. almost bitter.

wet: intense musk and petitgrain. very strong considering the tiny drop i put on my wrist.

dry: this dries to a very deep green scent, probably mostly moss. it's smoother once dry but not really a good scent for me. i may have to try to get my husband to test it.

Musky. mossy, dry, and masculine. I liked the imp-swipe test area so much that I swiped the oil all over my throat, too. At first my nose was sitting in a cloud of spicy petitgrain, but then it turned into a delightful dark mossy scent. The oil that I got on my fingers turned into a powdery scent, the test patch on my arm is a deep dark musk, but the scent that's wafting up from my throat is most definitely oakmoss-centered.

It's a warm, cozy, comforting scent to me. Reminds me of my husband more than a bit. (Shhh! No one tell him that a perfume with the word "Goat" in the name reminds me of him. I'd never hear the end of it.) I like it on me, but I'll certainly be handing it over to him to try, too.

:::TWO-HEADED GOAT:::

Two-Headed Goat is spectacular!

Something entirely different had been expected from the information provided in the Lab's notes...

Something amazing, of course, but different.

When the 5 ml. bottle of Two-Headed Goat was first opened, there was a familiar ring to it... As though this fragrance or maybe, one that was close to it had been smelled before. This something had been worn by someone in a grandfatherly role, yet also someone who had been a pastor or a teacher or an attourney.

This fragrance walks more like a tiger than a goat...

Pettigrain leaps into the air and kung-fu kicks you in the neck, while the Oakmoss and the Pimento collaborate to take away your air in a moment of intoxicating theatrics. The Birch in Two-Headed Goat balances everything else in this out with a nice, fleecy blanket of plush, Woodsy, Wintergreeny, Sassafrassy oomph that etches a silly, soporific grin on your face.

Two-Headed Goat is a spectacularly themed fragrance for Him!

On the skin, Two-Headed Goat really pops! The keyword here would absolutely be, "Dapper". There is still a feel here that this fragrance would be worn by someone of the, "Old-Guard" : Bespectacled, respectable, Woolen-suit replete with pocket-watch, grey goatee, the whole nine-yards.

While Two-Headed Goat is probably one of the better blends that anyone could hope to find in the realm of The Lab to date, this doesn't quite sit as comfortably with the, Cabinet of Curiosities "Freak Show" aspect... If anything, the impression relayed by Two-Headed Goat would be the fragrance worn by a Top Hat wearing gentleman who owns an international fleet of carnivals.

Spectrally, Two-Headed Goat is Dark, Olive-Green with reflective, Pewter pinstripes and reverse-glitter... Or how sparkles would appear on negative film... Sub-black.

Two-Headed Goat is gorgeous.

A classy fragrance for Him that demands utmost respect.

5.5 out of 5 without batting an eye!

Bravo!

Wet- smells just like 4711 Eau de Cologne, the pettigrain gives that familiar sharp lemony note.

Dry- sharp with a musk background. This is not my kind of scent.

Try this if you like lemony cologne.

Wet: Oooh, sharp. I didn't think I had any idea of what pimento berries smell like, but I'm pretty sure this is it. I recognise the lovely dark musk from Robin Goodfellow, and think I can smell the birch wood as well.

Drying: The pimento berries have stopped dominating, and the scent is sort of soft and sharp at the same time, mellowing more and more as time goes on. I like it more now than in the beginning, I must say. Very green.

Dry: This is Robin Goodfellow without the heather and sage on me, fresher and a little bit sharper. I like it. I like it a lot.

Ooh very pretty in the vial! On my skin I get petitgrain (which smells a bit like bergamot to me), moss, a bit of birch and soft black musk. This feels old-timey in a good way. :wub2:

I do think this is a unisex scent. Two-Headed Goat doesn't stick around all day but I like it a lot! Might pick up a bottle if this returns when the Carnaval Diabolique comes back.