Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sarada

The Grand Inquisitor's Heretic's Fork

Coppery dried blood, metal, vetiver, and bonfire smoke.

Wet, this struck me as being a lighter Brimstone, all smoke, but the longer it dries, the more the smoke fades and the other notes come out. As a couple others have noted, it also goes through a phase where it smells like dark leather. Then it settles down into a warm, dark, slightly sweet scent which I can't separate out into components. But to me it's cozy and comforting, not a torture scene at all!

:::THE GRAND INQUISITOR'S HERETIC'S FORK:::

The device that inspired this formula is one nasty piece of work!

Abuiro, indeed! Guilty of having religiously ecstatic of the Lab! Sorry this scent hadn't been purchased earlier!

Vetiver is a not-so-guilty pleasure.

The Wife and Sister are fanatically opposed and have muttered many a wild heresy against it.

No matter... Here, Vetiver will find champion.

Vetiver will find love.

Vetiver is welcome home.

*sniff*

From the Bottle: Mmmmm... Now THAT'S a good Vetiver!

This is haunting, murky, and dark.

The Vetiver in Grand Inquisitor's Heretic's Fork is mercilessly, violently stygian.

This the utter, wretched hopelessness of being clapped in irons deep beneath the surface of the earth awaiting unspeakable agonies to be administered by a glittery-eyed sadist who is well-versed in the divine works of soft secrets and nerve-endings.

Grand Inquisitor's Heretic's Fork will send shivers down the spine as to how not too far away we are from such a lightless, barbarically unhinged period of humanity we are despite notions of freedom and technology.

None of the other notes included in the description are yet identifiable as the Vetiver wears the cleanest red-velvet frock and the most ornately bejeweled cruciform.

On the Skin: Whoah. The Blood is crazy... Actually, a double-take was necessary to verify absence of physical wound(s).

Vetiver's darkness combined with the sanguine effect only amplifies the unease.

After some moments, Metal, too, joins the foray. The Lab's Metal is always mystifying because it is hard to imagine how one would squeeze, boil, or steam-distill oil from... Metal, but there it is.

Metal is also suggestive of some intimately cruel device designed for the sole purpose of burrowing worryingly into the bashful deeps of some tender bits.

Bonfire smoke is here too, but only just.

This is more like the smoke you'd expect to smell on the robe of some priest walking a few cells away...

Oh,what you wouldn't give for that diversion of flickering light, or the mercifully quick end amid the flames!

The Grand Inquisitor's Heretic's Fork is a beautiful, fantastically macabre fragrance.

Spetrally, it is very dark; dungeonesque, dreary black and grey, dried-blood red, dark earth smeared into sweating flesh, etc.

After a considerable period of mellowing, The Grand Inquisitor's Heretic's Fork proves to be a likely candidate for Him.

This is a no-nonsense, start crying and hope for the best should you ever encounter this person alone type of His fragrance.

This is the fragrance of power.

This power was won and it was won with unprecedented ruthelessness.

Make way for the fragrance that is The Grand Inquisitor's Heretic's Fork!

4.75 out of 5.

First off, let me say that I won this and a few other BPAL things in Katie Puckrik's giveaway and I'm very thankful that I won. I never win anything and it was an amazing prize. Many thanks to Katie and Beth!

That having been said, I shall proceed with my review.

This smells horrifying. :lol: I have never recoiled from a scent the way I did from this one. It smells nightmarish. I'm proud of myself for even putting a half-drop on my skin.

I'm struggling with how to describe this! To me, it smells like ashes, burning rubber, burning hair, rust, blood, dirty leather, and rancid nuts. I love metallic notes and I love leather, but this is just so horrific. It's like a crime scene or something. I'm guessing that the vetiver is causing most of the nastiness. Ooh, a fishy note is coming out now. Nice!

Smelling this is making me upset. It makes me uneasy just having it in my house :P I cannot wait to get rid o--I mean, I can't wait to re-home it with someone who will give it the love it deserves! Someone who appreciates vetiver, I suppose.

I have met my BPAL match. I thought I was into "dark" scents, but I guess I'm just a wimp!

In the bottle - my first impression was super bitter dark chocolate and a hint of orange. I don't smell blood or smoke at all.

Wet - oh THERE'S the blood & smoke! Hi, vetiver! Whoa.

Dry - Definitely smoky but I can't really identify anything else. There's a sweet note to this that keeps it from being too terrifying. Sometimes I still smell chocolate, sometimes I smell slightly charred meat. :lol:

In bottle: Surprisingly sweet with blood as the strongest note, supported by soft metallic. The smoke and vetiver circle under the surface like sharks. I will not be skin testing due to vetiver.

APPLY SPARINGLY!!

I hadn't noticed a bit had spilled on the bottle and it got all over me. It is SUPER strong and sharp as a result. it does settle down very quickly, but the first minute or so was a bit much.

This is mostly vetiver and smoke on me. Despite leather not being a note, there is something leather about this, which is nice. Not really getting much blood, but there is a little tang of something that is metallic.

This scent is frankly a bit overwhelming, and I think I'm going to take it off. I think if applied more lightly, this won't be terrible, but I think this is going into my 'test on the boy' pile rather than a keep for myself pile.

This starts out with an almost honey-like sweetness, which I'm assuming is the blood note. As it dries, the smokiness of the vetiver comes out. The sweetness from the blood note tempers the vetiver and keeps it from getting too aggressive. When I inhale deeply my nose fills with a mentholated coolness giving the impression of cold metal but not actually smelling metallic. It's so interesting!

The final dry down is a soft, honey-kissed vetiver with what I can only assume is menthol. This is fantastic. If you have a chance to try this, please do! :)

I grabbed this one off etsy because I was fascinated with the theme. I really didn't know what to expect since the reviews have been so mixed!

Wet there's definitely smoke, metal, and a citrusy tang. I assume the latter is the blood note - though to my nose it doesn't evoke blood in the slightest, dried or not. The metal is the same super fresh, gleaming metal note found in Paladin and Fighter. It reminds me of clean surgical utensils in an operating room.

I've had problems with vetiver in other blends, but as this dries down I get a very gentle vetiver that plays nice and stays in the background. The metal is predominant here but it's getting sweeter and.. I'm actually finding this quite cozy! As the metal note fades, I'm left with a comforting skin scent that's almost amber-like. This was totally not what I'd expect from the theme, but it's really nice and has become my favorite scent to wear late at night. I may have to stock up on some extra bottles!