Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Dragon's Eye

A piercing, radiant perfume: dragon's blood resin, lily of the valley, lilac and galbanum.

In the imp: oh, dragon' blood and lilac, and they work together far better than I feared.

On me, wet: lots and lots of lilac. and more lilac. and a tiny hint of warming dragon's blood cherryish resin.

On me, dry: everything's gone just *slightly* powdery, which I think is down to the lily. But mm, that lilac, warmed by the dragon's blood... even when it's slightly dry-feeling, it's nice.

Verdict: I think I'll keep this around as a warm and cheerful counterpart to the sharp and bitter lilac of Whitechapel, but I don't think it'll quite replace it. Still, very nice in its own right.

DH says this smells like "expensive hotel soap". :P I really like it. I wish that I had it in the Spring, and plan on getting more next year. As a resin lovin' gal, I am always looking for "fresh" scents that still have that "me" feel. This fits the bill. The dragon's blood is rich and sweet, but the flowers float around me. It is the most "lilac-y" BPAL to my nose, so far. It is going to be saved for Spring.

Bottle: gorgeous lilac

Wet: I can detect a hint of the lily, but it's still fresh, blooming lilac in the cool of a summer's evening

Dry: the dragon's blood resin is, surprisingly enough, not surpassing the lily. this is sweet and heady, but not throttling my sinues.

Later: this is right at the edge of my toleration for sweet florals, but I'm feeping it for just such an occasion. it's very pretty, I just have to take care to wear it in small doses.

I loooove this scent, then again, I LOVE lilac :P. I agree with Storme on this one of the wet to dry transitions.The scent reminds me of the lilac bushes and wild lily of the valley that grows around my grandmom's house.Tis a keeper. :D

Ars Draconis again, so I predict I'll like it. *sniff* Dragon's blood plus the flowers is definitely an interesting combination! Lilac is definitely predominant, followed by the lily of the valley, and I barely get the dragon's blood at all. The overall effect is "high-end massage oil."

Grargh! Lilac eating my soul!

If you're super sensitive to florals (like me) this is NOT the scent for you. Extremely clear unmistakeable lilac made somehow "fresher" by the lily. The little bit I got on my hands just opening the imp smells pretty much exactly like I crushed a fresh stalk of lilac blossoms in my hand. As it dries down a little bit it's fading back to a semi-tolerable level, but now it smells like I washed my hands with an expensive lilac soap.

I'm tempted to give it to my housemate (who lurves Lily of the Valley) but I hate to say I'm kind of afraid she'll wear it near me. :P

This went on my "don't even bother" list months ago, but when I recieved it as a frimp I figured I'd be a fool to let it go unsniffed. If nothing else it's good to know my instincts are so spot on when it comes to florals. :D Unfortunately being me I now have to wash my hands as I can feel the headache already starting.

From the deep red color I fully expected to be hit with cinnemon (no I didn't read the description beforehand)

So flowers? 0_o

Lilac and old lady soap. Sorry this one just isn't for me. Though I do believe my mother would LOVE it. She's a lilac fiend.

Edited by Tempest Teapot

In imp - ooh, dragon's blood and lilac, perfect!

On skin: ugh, there is something else in there that makes it smell like the lilacs have wilted; will wear on locket.

In locket: alas, the lilacs are still wilted!

:P You know, I really should not pick blends with scents that I know very well - like apples, or the lilacs which flood all of Ottawa in the spring. The moment that something else gets mixed in with a very familiar scent, my brain thinks, "Oh, the flower/fruit has rotted, no!"

And I have a bottle of it coming in a swap, I felt so happy with it. I suppose a room scent is good for Dragon's Eye. Or I will check out layering options.

I thought I'd love this -- lilac is one of my favorite floral notes, and I love dragon's blood. And although I do like this scent, I'm not sure about the dragon's blood and lilac combination. I can pick them out clearly, and they both smell fine, like they should... but I like them both so much individually that I'm not sure about the combination.

It's kind of like vanilla and chocolate ice cream. I like each one on its own, but I don't like those swirled ice cream cones with the two flavors together. Just one or the other, but not both. I kinda feel that way about Dragon's Eye.

However, the scent is kind of growing on me. At first it seemed odd, but the more I sniff it, the more I like it. I don't remember trying any other BPAL oils that are so strongly lilac, and that alone is enough to make me keep the imp. Maybe this is just the wrong season. I think I'll try this again in the spring and see how I feel about it.

Dragon’s blood plus uncomfortably sharp floral. It softens and gets better, but is ultimately just too floral for me and the other components don't come out enough.

This is my first try with a bpal lily of the valley scent. Morphed the same in my scent locket as on my skin - wonderful, strong lily of the valley & lilac! Faded quickly on my skin but heavily scented in my locket all day long.

Edited by gailprentice

All lilac and lily on me. Very springlike and fresh, and not at all like any of the other Ars Draconis oils. It's fading fast but this might make a great room scent or sachet.

Got this one a as a freebie... I'd never have chosen something so floral myself, but I'll give it a try.

In the bottle: Whoa, Lilly of the Valley and Lilac. Very VERY floral. It smells a lot like a perfume my mom used to wear, so I'm already afraid I won't get past that association...

On, wet: Well, that's actually quite pleasant. It's not the headache-inducing floral I was expecting (that's what florals usually do to me, instant headache) much softer and not so peircing as I feared. But it still smells a lot like my mom. The Lilac is definetly there. I'm having a hard time smelling anything else.

Dry: Maybe a little powdery, but the fresh flowers are still there. The lilac has mellowed a bit, but I still don't smell much else besides the flowers. It really makes me think of a really hot afternoon walking with my Aunts in Kamloops. Every time you walk by a lilac bush you really get a nose full of that thick, heady lilac smell. Personally I dislike that smell, possibly because the pollen makes me sneeze. But I know a lot of people who really love the smell of lilacs.

To me this is actually quite tolerable as florals go, and would probably be really lovely to someone who likes florals. Especially if they like the smell of lilacs. Maybe I'll let Mom try it :P

This is so gorgeous - I absolutely love the lilac with the lily...but I'm so sad that the dragon's blood turns camphorous and ruins it on me. :P

So close to being perfect, but the lilac goes way heavy on me, and then the galbanum (I think?) adds this sharp, SHARP green note that disagrees with me. On the madre, the green note never came out, but it was even heavier on the lilac; she turned it down as well.

On imp: Wow, strong floral. I'm a florals fan but I can't quite put a finger on this one; it smells familiar and the feeling I associate with it is not something pleasant.

Wet: Same as in imp. The florals lessen a bit but it's still strong enough to be disconcerting.

There isn't much difference on drydown, still the same smell. I put some of this on the way to work while waiting for the traffic light to change. Around 5-10 minutes later at work, the smell clicked -- it reminds me of piles of sampaguita (Arabian jasmine) that is offered in the altars of sculptured images of saints. I have no idea which note makes it smell like that (lilac? lily of the valley?) and I wish I know so I can stay away from it.

I really thought this scent would work for me, but I guess my nose and skin chemistry just don't agree with it. Or maybe I have just lathered too much of it? I may try it again some other time to see if it would still yield the same effect before deciding on giving it off for swapping or selling.

in the imp: surprisingly, it's the lily that hits you first, followed closely by the dragon's blood resin

wet: the dragon's blood makes itself known, with that expected peppery kick, but the lily lingers, and the lilac blooms to give this scent a somewhat melancholy tone

dry: Wow, this is unexpectedly pretty. I haven't had much luck with the Ars Draconis so far, but this… yeah, I could get used to this. It's definitely not your grandmother's lily perfume. The resin is nicely balanced out by the floral, and it all combines to form this spicy, *interesting* blend. Not a big bottle purchase for me, but I'll definitely be holding onto the imp.

Dragon's Eye is a kaleidoscopic blend of delicate florals and dragon's blood, a shimmering veil of scent that is at once scarlet and purple. Quite rich and lush, and very beautiful.

Because I know that florals don't work on me, I'm apprehensive, but it smells so pleasant in the bottle I have to try.

On, oh my, this is a very true, very true floral. It smells thick and fleshy, almost rotten, like a real iris. It's lovely, if a bit stiflingly sweet. The throw, however, is polite, and after a minute or so it cools off and takes a seat, becomes more manageable.

I do not like florals but I like this; none of the elements that are usually unbearable on me are going sour, even the lily is behaving itself. How wonderful!

This has an intimate element to it, a skin-scent, a closeness, that makes me want to call this a true perfume, something you'd use to augment your natural odor, not cover it. A scent that clings close instead of announcing itself, a scent that waits to be discovered. I like it very much. What little throw it has is polite and pretty, but up close it's a lush, deep, thick scent, enfolding, engulfing.

Recommended.

i think the spiciness of the dragon's blood tricks my nose into enjoying the lily in this one...i wasn't sure i would like it at all.

still, i muchly prefer wrath and dragon's milk for my dragon's blood fix.

I love dragon's blood. I am not a lover of florals. This could be interesting.

In the imp: Floral dragon's blood. Reminds me of Wolf's Heart a bit.

Wet: Floral dragon's blood.

Drydown: Stronger floral dragon's blood. As it dries the florals get stronger and I can definitely pick out the lilac! Like all dragon's blood blends it has fantastic throw on me.

Dry: Yipes, this is getting too floral for me, overwhelming. If it didn't have such great throw it wouldn't be so bad! But I will persist for a bit longer, because it is kind of nice if strong, and well, it's dragon's blood!

Now it's got a green tinge in the background, like freshly cut stems. Is that the galbanum? I don't like green normally, but in this it's almost a relief. You know I'd probably like this more if I had put on less. I didn't slather it and it's only on one wrist, but dragon's blood blends do tend to be quite strong on me (and did I mention they throw like crazy? :P)

Finally after an hour or so it becomes nearly straight out dragon's blood on me (but softer), with just a touch of the floral and galbanum. Much better, but not worth going through the intense floral to get to when I already have a 5ml of Dragon's Blood.

Needless to say I won't be getting a bottle but I will keep the imp, merely because it's an Ars Draconis and I want the complete set of imps (3 more to go!).

The lilac and lily of the valley are rich and heady, making this a very floral scent. It's like having a big floral boquet stuffed in your face. The dragons' blood is more a of a background note, or a grounding note. I can smell the sweet cherry-like resin, but it doesn't stand out against the strong florals. I love the smell of lilacs, so I dig this alot, but others who aren't very keen on the smell should steer clear of this. I'll keep the imp. Light to minimal throw.

I love lilac! I enjoy dragon's blood...and yet no win for me! There's something rather sharp and green in there that's throwing the whole scent off for me. Alas! I'll have to treasure my bottle of White Moon until I find another lilac that works on me...

I got this scent as a gift from the wonderful bethany!

Bottle: something floral balanced by the darkness of dragon's blood, but also...this will sound crazy...I'm smelling the sweet note that I get from Sea of Glass!

Wet: Very mild. Not quite floral, not quite incense, but a beautiful blend of both.

Drydown: It has a deep warmth to it without being overwhelming. This is the dragon of spring with a vine of flowers draped around her horns. There's a subtle sweetness to it from the lily of the valley.

After wearing for a while: Mostly floral, but a floral with an oomph!

If you're afraid of dragon's blood, this is the one to try, because it's quite gentle. As gentle as a dragon can be, anyway. :P

Distinctly red in color! Blends in on the skin after a minute...

Wet: Lily of the valley when close, resin blended with lily of the valley a little further away.

Dry: The resins come up, but it is still strongly lily of the valley.

Finish: The lily of the valley fades, leaving a touch of floral with the resin.

Duration: Faded quickly, faint after 3 hours.

I like it, but not enough for a big bottle, it fades too fast for that.

In the imp: Predominantly lilac--this smells almost exactly like a bottle of lilac single note (not BPAL) that I own. There's the slightest hint of lily.

Wet: Dragon's blood--which can smell an awful lot like lilac--combines with the fresher florals lilac and lily.

Drydown and wear: This has one of the most interesting drydowns of all the Ars Draconis blends. While, as others have said, it is a faint scent, it also turns strangely aquatic. In fact, it reminds me of a more gentle version of Danube--very much the idea of flowers (mostly lilac) growing on a shore in a watery brine. It is really rather beautiful, and I would move it onto my "get this as a bottle" list right away except for the fact that it doesn't have a lot of strength. I'll probably end up getting bottles of both this and Danube eventually--perhaps they would even blend well?