Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Dragon's Eye

A piercing, radiant perfume: dragon's blood resin, lily of the valley, lilac and galbanum.

Okay, now it's confirmed: lilac and I don't get along fragrance-wise. I love the smell of them (I wore a crown of lilacs to my senior prom, even), but on me, it takes over any scent, turning it into some combination of laundry soap and air freshener.

Just to make this a real review, in the imp, I smelled lilac laundry soap, and on my skin it's lilac air freshener. It's really overpowering and heady as well. Edited by Anneliese

In the bottle: Lily-of-the-valley

Wet: Lily-of-the-valley with just a touch of something that keeps it from being simply the "muguet des bois" of my childhood.

Dry: The resin comes out now and warms it. It's a shade powdery, but the lilies come in strong, giving it a strong cool flavor.

In bottle: Very floral, lilac and a touch of lily.

Wet: Lilac, honest to god, straight from the flower lilac! It’s got some slight hints of the other floral mucking it up but they don’t detract too much from the overall scent. As long as it hold true dry, I may have found a floral I like.

Dry: Good throw for about an hour or two and then dies down to a skin scent. The dragon’s blood never shows and the other florals are consumed by the great lilac scent. It gets a little heady after two hours but overall true lilac.

Notes: Lilac and I have a love hate relationship. I love the fresh flowers but fake lilac makes me nauseous. Dragon’s eye keeps from being plastic but borders on the sharper edge of the scent. Definitely a keeper for me, but I would have loved to smelled more of the dragon’s blood in it.

This came as a freebie gift from the lab with my most recent order. I opened it a little too enthusiastically, so a bit spilled, and I rubbed it on me well away from the other scent I also spilled a bit. I got excited! I can't help it. :lol:

Anyway, straight from the imp, this smelled so much like a perfume and also bath powder my grandmother used to wear it took my breath away, not the strength of the scent, but the strength of the memory. I was right back in her adorable pink and white bathroom with the claw foot tub. I can't recall the name of the perfume. Maybe White Shoulders? I recall it was White something. I could instantly pick out the Lily of the Valley, way more than the lilac. The dragon's blood gave a sort of slightly incense-y undertone. Very nice, I thought, after recovering from the time travel memory incident. It was literally that strong of a visual, like being there.

So I rubbed it on higher on my forearm than the other small spill. Wet, the lily scent amped even higher, drowning the lilac and the dragon's blood entirely. On drydown, the dragon's blood returned and anchored the floral. Now it all smells a little soapy after a little over an hour, but it's not an unpleasant soap scent, more like expensive soap you've washed with a little longer than you normally would just because you love the fragrance.

As much as I love this scent, and I truly, truly do, I'm not sure I can wear it, because every time I catch a whiff, it makes me tear up and want to cry from missing my grandmother who passed away over twenty years ago. I will never wear this around my mother. I think it would have an even worse effect on her. Still, gorgeous scent, not at all "old lady" or old fashioned. If you like lilies, give it a try.

ETA: I got over the wanting to cry bit and wore this before a hard workout. Even after I had sweat pouring off my body, I could still smell the lovely lilies. I think I'm a little bit in love with this!

Edited by DarkSinestra

Dragon's blood and a stronger floral note in the imp, amps to almost all lily/florals. Urgh. Not quite for me.

Dragon's Eye

I mainly smell the lilac and lily of the valley, but there's a resiny background. These are florals I like! This is a floral that works well on me and isn't cloying. Imp is a keeper, not sure if I'd wear it enough to get a bottle.

Piercing is right. Dragon's Eye smells like über amped up lilacs. Maybe a faint whisper of lily in the background, but lilac owns the show here. The Dragon's Blood blends very well into the lilac. In the vial, wet, dry, hours later, it's all the same. The lilac steps on everything else and refuses to take a step down itself. It does remind me of a sharp-smelling bar of lilac soap more so than fresh lilacs in the summer.

I have this in my swap pile but have never rated it. Giving the imp a sniff I can smell floral soaps, eek! Some of this has gotten on my finger and I want to sneeze. I'm not even going to test it on my wrist. Far too sharp and soapy.

In the imp, I don't even notice the dragon's blood that much-this is mostly lily of the valley and lilac. VERY floral, but not too sharp. Pretty and sweet.

Oh wow, on my skin this is STRONG! This is a very strong lilac and lily blend. I don't hate either of those notes, but neither of them are in my favorites either. Florals florals florals. More dragon's blood-y as it dries down.

This blend is pretty much what it sounds like-dragon's blood, lily and lilac. Very true to that description-so if that sounds up your alley, you have to check this out.

I was hesitant to try this seeing as how dragon's blood resin goes all flowery on me, but then seeing as how this is a floral mix, it kind of works to the blend's advantage.

Lilac and lily of the valley are strong in this blend. It actually turns out to be a nice floral with the DBR giving it a nice robust scent. Not my taste however. 3/5

I'm a true lilac fan and how, so I was definitely getting this one. It's one of my first two imps, yikes! :)

In the bottle: The lilacs are certainly there, along with something sharper than I expected. That must be the dragon's blood resin.

Wet on skin: Mmm, lilacs ahoy. Yum. The sharpness is still evident, but the lilac's strong enough that I don't mind at all.

Drydown: Mmm continued. Definitely still strongly lilac, just barely hinted with what must be the resin, and now the lily of the valley is peeking through a little. This is a wonderful scent for me; as I said, true lilac fan. There may very well be a bottle in my future, I think. :biggrin:

Edited to add: Note to self, do not put Dragon's Eye on under one sleeve. You will inevitably keep lifting said sleeve and sniff-sniff-sniffing your forearm. Oops! :biggrin: Definitely a keeper, this. It keeps reminding me of early May, when the lilacs bloom like crazy here. Love.

Edited by Chanter

Finally - lilac!

Imp: A lovely, sweet, light and creamy floral note. Lily of the Valley and lilac with a soft creamy undertone are prominent in this scent.

Wet: Lilac with a sour undertone to it.

Dry: There is something sharp and sour like pee that clouds the lovely lilac! Very soapy.. and, I think dragon's blood just does not work for me. :( Oh, OH... the pee note goes away, and a creamy soapy lilac remains.. it is not so bad, might keep this and see if there are occasions for which this scent is quite right.

Edited by Honey

The first thing that came to mind upon opening the imp was sunscreen. :D

Now dishwashing detergent. :( I want to wash it off already, I don't think my skin does good things with lilac.

In imp: lily and dragon's blood resin, spicily cherry-like.

Wet on skin: sweet lily, and lilac that is quickly getting quite powdery--but not too bad, it's a pleasing sort of powder so far. There is a somewhat disconcerting crispness here, as well. "Piercing" and "radiant" does seem to be spot on for this.

Dry: powdery, powdery lily, and that very powdery lilac. The dragon's blood is in the background, and at this point I'd have to say it's kind of trying to fight against the lilac, in the sense that I'm not always too sure which it is I'm smelling.

Verdict: this was actually a bottle scent for me. It was within the first few hundred or so scents I skin-tested, and after a retest, I decided I'd keep it. Alas, a couple months down the road, I've discovered that no matter how un-baby-powder-ish the powder is, as long as it's this much, I don't like it so much. So, there you are. A really pretty blend but ruined by lilac on my skin.

Imp: REALLY high-pitched, screaming florals and the cherry-floral aspect of dragon's blood. Oh lordy this is not going to be nice on me, I can already tell.

Wet: Well, at first blush, it's actually not as bad as I thought. The florals go soapy on me, the dragon's blood sweet and tame, and it ends up smelling like very expensive little-girl's soap.

Dry: Like most dragon's blood blends, this one ends up a sticky-sweet floral on me. Pretty but not my bag.

the DB is very nice. The rest of the florals turn a bit salty. Not quite like Dragon's Tears though - not that salty. more of a sharpness. not overpowering, but I prefer my DB tempered with something like musk or leather or sandalwood.

Recieved an imp of this scent, it's very pretty!

In the bottle: a very green floral scent

Wet on skin: still just floral, you can really pick out the lily of the valley in this one

Dry: pretty much just the lily of the valley

This one didn't really change much for me, it stayed pretty much lily of the valley throughout. It's hard for me to find a floral I like, but this one was really pretty and fresh. Smelled like spring!

This was a frimp from the lab from my last order :wub2:

Dragons Eye is all Lily of the Valley for me - from the moment that I put it on, till it eventually fades away. This is a really strong scent and lasts for ages. I would recommend this scent if you like Lily of the Valley, I'm not really sure its for me though.

I tried it a couple of months ago, and, unfortunately, it smelled soapy on me. I gave it a second chance a couple of days ago, but my first impression was confirmed: it smells okay in the vial, but the moment it touches my skin, it begins to smell like soap.

In the bottle - The salty floral of the lilac is most apparent

Wet on me - Again a soft lilac seems to be the main note, with a touch of the lily in the background

Dry on me - A green, salty floral

Overall - Neither lilac or lily are great on me, but this was not the screeching horror I thought it might be. It's still not my cup of tea though

Well, this was a failure alright. It is a piercing floral in the imp and on the skin, very strong, but only for a short period of time. And then it turned soapy lilac. :huh?:

Neither one of these flowers are good on me usually (even though I love lilac), this combination is not an exception.