Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Blue lilac, lily of the valley, golden musk, beeswax, white ginger, bergamot, green tea, and nectarine.

Oh bergamot, how I love you.

Marcilla is quite light and significantly less floral than I anticipated. I get bergamot and green tea straightaway, with a hint of ginger. The flowers are there as an interesting base. Usually I amp the heck out of florals, especially lily of the valley. I can't distinguish the lilac from the lily, and I don't get any beeswax, but I like this blend just the same. To me, Marcilla is a muskier, warmer version of Tweedledee, which I adore.

Initial Impression:

Juicy nectarines grounded with beeswax.

After Wearing It:

Wet on my wrist, Marcilla smells of nectarines and slightly buttery (??) beeswax. Not sure where the butteriness is coming from, but that was what hit my nose at first. After a few minutes, that yellow butter smell evaporated (though a touch of saltiness remained) and the floral notes started to come in but gently. Even after a few hours, the springy floral notes never dominate the fragrance. It's mostly nectarines, beeswax, golden musk, white ginger and a touch of something sugary that I can't define. I can only really smell the lily and lilac when I go to sniff my wrist. The throw is all sugary nectarines and golden musk, yet it isn't heavy or cloying at all. It's very fresh and springy without being all the things that typically make me hate "spring" scents. Instead it's gorgeous. I'm loving it.

Final Thoughts:

I will admit to being a little "frightened" of Marcilla before I got the chance to smell her. Cupide430 and I have very different tastes in perfume, so before the Grindhouse was released, I joked to her that our ladies' fragrances would be diametrically opposed and that we'd hate each other. When the notes were released, I was still a little wary of it as while I do like ginger, beeswax, nectarines and golden musk, I hate lilies. They go all soapy, awful and LOUD on me, and lilac and bergamot are only good in small doses. So I was a little worried about how this would turn out on me. But I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm glad I gave it a chance. If I had let the note list scare me off, I might have missed out on something great. Marcilla's a keeper.

Wet on my skin this smelled exactly like someone layered Green Phoenix with Beaver Moon 07. A few minutes in it was all lilac. Then everything started to blend and soften for the next 1/2 hour and now I'm reminded of an Avon scent I loved in high school called Lahana. This is so awesome! Very much a summer scent.

At first: Sweet Spring flowers.

On: More of a tart, sweet floral. Very pretty.

1 hour later: Much sweeter and a bit powdery. I love this.

3 hours later: Sweet and lovely.

Overall: This is just lovely. I'll definitely be wearing it a lot this Spring.

This is the perfect Spring to Summer transitional perfume! Most predominant is the lily, but the cool sweetness of the lily is balanced with the warm golden musk and the hint of white ginger. And tea! It gives this a refreshing after-sniff. Beautiful, lovely. And it has a great throw.

This goes on a lot like Gennivre for me (one of my favorite scents!) as it's all tea and soft florals. I don't get any nectarine at all, but I definitely get that clean, lovely bergamot. Like ShriekingViolet, I get something warm, buttery and slightly nutty here also. I am not sure what that is - the beeswax?? It's gone just as quickly as it appeared though and now I get a little bit of nectarine, but it is pale - not quite ripe yet and seated far in the background on this one.

Unfortunately, this one goes all floral on me after a few minutes and the other notes are drowned out by the sharp floral scent that comes out in this one.

I agree with savage_rose that Marcilla is a great transitional Spring to Summer perfume.

Marcilla is not a morpher at all on me. The scent stays the same from the bottle to drydown. It's a wonderful combination of light fruitiness from the apricot, light florals from the lily of the valley and the summery freshness of the bergamot and green tea, and none of the notes dominate. The beeswax is an interesting addition that sweetens yet grounds the blend. I don't detect any musk or ginger.

I have gotten quite a few "What perfume are you wearing?" compliments while wearing Marcilla. :P

How surprising! I tried this mostly because I couldn't fathom what this was actually going to smell like. And so far, it's my favorite Grindhouse scent! The Lily has the farthest throw and yet it doesn't dominate the scent. There definitely a beeswax base - warm, slightly nutty, and as others have said, maybe slightly buttery. It's floral without being overwhelmingly so. It feels complex, with many levels. It smells slightly different depending on how close my nose is to my wrist, and yet I always like it!

May have to order a bottle of this soon!

Wet, there is a wonderful mixture of foody and floral. Maybe it's the beewax or the nectarine that makes it initially very sweet. Then, it settles into a nice-but-generic-floral. And then it fades, and that's all. It's ok, but I'm glad I got just a decant.

MARCILLA

In Bottle: Murky ginger tea

On Skin: This scent is not liking me from the start. I was very excited for the beeswax, it almost always turns to love on me. It’s nice here, but it is overpowered by a few of the other notes and doesn’t really shine through. The ginger is the deal breaker on me. Mixed with the florals it just seems a little “off”. Spicy and florals? Not for me. Mixed with the green tea, it just is too much going on for my nose. I barely smell fruitiness from the nectarine, just a light bit of the skin. I do like the softness of the golden musk, and the bits of beeswax that do sometimes peak through, but overall it’s not a scent I’d wear. It has a moderate throw and average wearlength.

This would be so good on me if not for that one note. Clearly, it is time for me to accept that I cannot wear lily.

Edited by maribouquet

Marcilla, is quite fantastic. A bit more perfumy, which tends to be a winner for me as I love commercial perfumes. Its also quite complex. Definitely getting a bottle of this girl

i didn't expect to like this scent too much (do NOT care for bergamot), but as of this moment, marcilla is my fave grindhouse lady! just sniffing it from its bottle feels so indulgent...a rich, sweet (very sweet) floral scent wafts up, and the scent image that comes to mind is bees buzzing around a great bundle of sweet-smelling flowers, the sun shining down on them. i also tend to really pick up on the color blue with marcilla...likely because of the "blue lilac" suggestion...but it really does have a bluish feel to me...yummy honey-slathered blue flowers. yummm. after awhile, i start to get the feel of that green tea note, but it takes awhile. but i don't mind. the initial stage is gorgeous and droolworthy enough for me to crave multiple bottles to hoard. excellent lady :P

Edited by eatingthesea

I was hoping this would be a rich and complex scent with beeswax at the center (I luuuuurve beeswax), but on me this is 90% lily of the valley with just a hint of the nectarine and green tea. I don't smell any beeswax at all.

I think that lots of people will love this, but it's not for me.

Marcilla was a very pleasant surprise - followed by heartbreak. BPAL lilac has always turned very sour/nasty on me before Marcilla (and Ashlutum), but in this it's gorgeous. On my skin, this reminds me a little bit of a very soft, floral, blue cousin to Tamamo-No-Mae. My surprise, hands-down favorite of the Grindhouse women.

And then, not even one half-hour later, it's gone. Completely vanished. :P I suppose I could try a scent locket, but it just wouldn't be the same.

This is a very nice floral scent. Reminds me of springtime. Get a slight Lily of the Valley and amber/beeswax. I give it a 4.

ETA: I think that this is my favorite of the Act 4 scents.

Edited by Megank4

Sadly yet another floral on my list.. I'm beginning to wonder if florals and my skin will ever play fair.

For someone without feaky skin, I would imagine this to be lovely..

Okay, so at the beginning, I wasn't too impressed with this scent. On wet, it was a slightly peachy but generic spring flowers.

As it has dried, I get more of the ginger and lily. Unfortunately, the lily is just a teensy bit soapy.

Sad, since I do enjoy the floral ginger thing its got going on.

Marcilla's a hyoooge gamble, given my floral-amping chemistry, but she's working surprisingly well. I'm reminded of Her Voice, another floral blend that broke the rules & works for me - there's that same florist's-shop-bouquet element, and the beeswax underscores things nicely. I get just a trace of the nectarine - it's blended so well with the tea & bergamot that it's barely distinguishable... Overall very pretty - much like Angeronalia (another lovely nectarine/floral blend), Marcilla would make a good transitional scent for someone wanting to move away from commercial perfumes. Ultimately, though, she's not quite my cup of tea...

Marcilla is hard to pin down, but I think I'd say that it has a sort of watery summer vibe to it with a touch of both floral and fruit. It's warm and bright from the bergamot, nectarine, white ginger, and musk. The tea sort of adds a mellow note and it seems to go well with the watery lilac and the lily. So there's an aspect of warmth and sun, and an aspect of cool and diffuse floral-tea.

Overall I find this to be sweet and light, feminine, soft. The nectarine and bergamot keep this bright, yet not too bright. It's almost a calming sort of blend. Moderate throw, average wearlength.

In the Imp

Blue florals, with a hint of beeswax. Pretty.

On Me

It doesn't change that much-- I'm detecting lilac and bluebells and beeswax still-- thankfully the ginger isn't kicking my arse, and it's all very balanced and pretty and sweet. There's lily in there, and I love lily. It smells delightfully innocent (which I love, particularly with Marcilla's artwork!) and very soft and girly.

But it's different-- I don't see many blue-florals around, and I'm loving it based on the novelty of that alone.

I'm buying a bottle, because I'll be kicking myself if I don't after it's gone.

Marcilla is Lilac personified as soon as it hits my skin...Loving it completely and without reserve. I agree with the "blue" comments - Marcilla is fresh, vivid, bright azure. The Lilies are soft - understated. I also get the Honey dripping right off its comb, but in the later stages of the drydown. This has great throw, but doesn't last terribly long on me. My skin just slurrrrps it.

5ml, asap :P

Edited by Indig0

In bottle/imp: Warm, glowing musk and beeswax with sweet florals.

Immediately on skin: This has a very interesting warm/cool thing going on. The nectarine, green tea and florals make up the cooler notes, and they’re fresh without being too sweet. Adding a bit of warmth and sweetness are the golden musk and the beeswax, which gives this an almost honeyed feel.

After a little while: I can barely smell this any more. Putting my nose all the way up to my hand all I get is the barest hint of warm musk mixed with sweet, cool florals and a little beeswax. The green tea is wafting around a little too. This smells warm and sweet with that lingering cool feel over the top, but I can barely smell it.

Overall Impressions: This is one of those blends that sit VERY close to the skin. It has a nice warm/cool feel going on, with the musk and beeswax balanced against the green tea, lilac, and lily of the valley. It’s subtly sweet but slightly tangy and warm. This is pretty and very feminine.

I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I almost didn't try it on because I dreaded the florals.

Its golden, and floral and lovely... the ginger comes out quite a bit in the first few minutes.

And then it dries down to something mentholy that reminds me of my grandma (tiger balm and lily of the valley perfume perhaps?).

And then it changes back and forth between that stage and floral sunshine.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about her... but i'll keep the imp.

In the imp this thing smells like nectarine. Once it is on though this thing well humm. It goes soft and for a while i was getting bergamot then it shifted to this fabulous lily of the valley and blue lilac. this is like the best of a spring flower arrangement. I am going to have to put this one on the to get list. Yummy girly and well not what i was expecting from one of the girls.