Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
iiinterstate

Stormclouds Over The Midway

Thunder-charged ozone, plum-colored incense smoke, opium tar, and wormwood.

Yuuuum, just got my decant of this. So glad I went ahead and ordered a bottle!

This is the first I've tried of the Lab's ozone scents, and I really, really like it! This one is a very dark purple scent with scary bits of black sky peeking through. Extremely dark base of smoke and incense with a much lighter, soft ozone note from the rain that will come when the storm breaks.

Opium, smoke and incense all work well on me, apparently ozone does too. Although I can see how people are getting dryer sheets, it's sort of like a scent version of an optical illusion--I can pick out the individual notes, but do understand the dryer sheet impression.

Lovely! Probably don't need a backup bottle. ...probably. But man, it's good.

Mmm...based on the notes in this I would not think I would like it (smoky scents are not my thing!), but I sniffed it at will call and new I needed a decant to give it a full test.

In the imp it is plummy purple incense! Sweet and smokey and beautiful-ozone can be hit or miss with me, but I really like it in this blend, at least on first sniff!

Whoa-VERY ozoney on the skin! Hopefully the plummy incense (I <3 the lab's plum) will come out more on my skin...eh, SHOOT, something is going kind of weird on me...I'm not sure what note it is but it's kind of a sour floral perfumey note???

Well poop, the dry down on this is COMPLETELY different than how it smelled in the imp. :P :D :D

Never thought I'd be wishing for more smokiness!!! The ozone was too much I think...this ends up being a sour/sweet floral ozone with a bit of a burnt undertone. Good thing I tested an imp of this before buying a bottle, is definitely not for me.

In the imp: dark, broody, incensey.

On me: Midnight on the Midway's more sinister cousin. The incense is sweet with the plum, but it gets all dirtied up by the opium tar and wormwood. This is a dark burgundy feeling scent. It has a pretty strong throw and very good staying power.

It's what I wanted Blood Phoenix to be, and has a similar feel to Midnight Kiss. This is definitely a must have!!

In the bottle, this is definitely a stormy, almost smoky smell, beautifully complex.

On my skin, it smelled much the same, then started taking on a soapy edge. Once dry, it smelled like I had rolled in a bottle of fabric softener from a room away. I may try this again in a scent locket, but at the moment, You Are Not A Winner.

Stormclouds Over the Midway

In the imp, it's a nice ozone with just a hint of smokiness. A delightful mixture, really from this one who doesn't really like that kind of thing.

On skin, first stays that wonderful mix as in the imp just amping the ozone upon first application, then drying slowly to a smoky, sexy scent. But I wish it stayed that way. After about half an hour of being on my skin, it turned to cat pee. :P

It was so lovely, but it just doesn't love me back.

Wet: grapey ozone.

Dry: I was kinda hoping for more ozone in this, but as it dries it's a fresh sort of plum smell with sweet opium. A very fresh coal tar like note, something soapy and clean. Slightly wet, yet powdery (if that makes any sense), almost like a touch of powdery violet. Although my skin is practically eating this up, I'm having to stick my nose right up to my hand to smell it. There's something dry and soft like birch here too.

This is actually a pretty light incense blend on me, with a hint of purpley fruit (grape? plum?). It's smoky and pleasant, maybe quietly foreboding....

I like it, but I don't feel the need for 5mL.

3.7 out of 5

In the vial: Hrm. I'm not getting anything while sniffing the vial. Just a tiny bit of bitter herbs.

On the skin: Oh, there's the ozone! Yeah, another aquatic that soaks into my skin and does nothing. Poo. It reminds me of Thunder Moon, what little I can get.

What I was hoping for: Midnight on the Midway with Ozone/Rain

What I got: Soap

I'm not entirely sure what happened here, but all that lovely spiced lemon warmth is gone... no incense spice, not even the sparkle of (identifiable) ozone like in Lightning or the beautiful fresh rain scent in Quincey Morris. What this is like (on me anyway), is OMG FLORAL SOAP. Mind you, it'd be nice soap, in that kind of 'little cakes you pull out for the picky company' way, but it's SO not me. Ah well... the art on the card is cool.

Ozone is mixed-review on me, and until now I was wondering if I could find anything with it that I could really love. Same goes for opium, actually, my skin chemistry destroyed the beauty in Opium Poppy as well.

However, Stormclouds is LOVELY. Unless ozone's a deal-breaker for you, I definitely recommend giving it a shot. This is lovely, smoky and mysterious and wet without being any of the iffy soapy/odd things that ozone can end up being combined with my skin chemistry. I'm seeing a very dark purple, which is fun, because I don't usually find colours in scents.

Also, you can smell the wormwood, and that is SO COOL.

I even got an unsolicited compliment on it from the fiance, who hugged me and commented without my mentioning that I was wearing perfume, let alone testing out something. :P Good sign! I'm going to see how my decant ages over the next month or two, but I'm putting this on the "need a bottle before the Carnaval leaves" list in the meantime.

This was ozones and plum, and it's a very fresh scent. I quite like this more than I thought I would. The ozone does make me think of Torture Queen, but it's softer, less metallic, more airy. Prettier than you can imagine. And if you like plum, this is like plum air.

Straight out of the imp and onto my skin, my first thought was that I should pass this along to my husband. It's a masculine, watery, and a little bit soapy.

As it dries, the incense comes out a bit more. It stays watery, but now there is smoke hovering above the water, and just a *touch* of the plum.

I like it, but it's not something I have to have. I really want to smell it on my man, though!

Ohhhh, I like this one! After a few skin chemistry missteps through the Carnaval this one is perfect on me! I really get a smell like before it starts to rain :P The ozone makes this a clear, almost clean scent but one of the other elements comes through almost as a warm, sweet ...citrus? It's very elusive. I'll have to try this one again to put my finger on it. So glad I got a bottle of this!

in the vial: plums and...rain? :P

wet on skin: yup- plum incense and ozone alright! :D

dry down: plum perfume and ozone.

in all: a bit more "perfume-y" than i like my scents, this one might be good for enabling your conventional perfume-loving friends. for me, though, i think i'll pass...

This is like a puff of dark purple incense . It does kind of remind me of Midnight On The Midway in the way that it's dark, but it's not THAT similar. MOTM is much nicer than this this is darker and less floral.

It's not an ozone scent for me at all, it's more a perfumey plum scent. It's very dark and brooding. and I can't get any wormwood at all.

I think it's mainly plum and opium that this smells of, and I like it. But it's not bottle worthy.

The throw isn't amazingly strong on me, and I feel like I need to re-apply quite often. It does make me feel quite fresh though.

This would be nice as an evening scent I reckon!

:P

Stormclouds over the Midway

In the imp: nag champa and a hint of smoke. No stormy notes.

Wet on skin: the incense warms up and I smell opium now.

Dry on skin: actually, this isn’t too bad. I was expecting OZONE! but I don’t seem to smell much in here. To me it’s more of a humid, muggy scent than an electrical note-more like the air before a storm. I do smell incense, which does indeed have a plum like feel to it, reminiscent of Hellion and the Witch Queen but not identical. Not a sweet plum, but a dry, tart and smoky one. It’s more of a nag champa incense than a resinous one. It’s a darker version of Midnight on the Midway’s incense. I also smell a dark green note, maybe the wormwood? And there’s a little bit of opium too.

After a while: it gets a little bit soapy at drydown, but the stormy ozone doesn’t really show up in this scent, which is a good thing for me since thunderstorm scents turn to detergent on me. this doesn’t. now it has that same ‘night air’ scent that Mid on the Mid has but overall, it’s dominated by what I’m sure is wormwood. I’ve not been sure of this note before but there’s a note to this that is deep and green, a bit herbal and slightly absinthe-y, but not boozy. I really like it. there is a problem with this scent-it goes really faint on me very fast.

Verdict: I’m surprised at this one-I was expecting electric ozone of doom. But I don’t get much of it. The stormy scent I do get is more of that humidity that builds up before the storm actually breaks, wet and oppressive, but not crackling with lightning, just yet. But it is ominous, evoking the heavy air and the purple-grey sky hanging overhead, just before the heavens open. I do smell some pleasant incense and opium wafts too, a fruity plum incense reminiscent of Hellion (but not as sweet) but the note I get a lot of-and now I feel I can recognise it better-is wormwood. A pleasant greenish herbal scent that was apart from the other notes in this scent, I’m sure that’s wormwood. The scent does fade, and overall it’s not really my thing, but it’s good to see (or smell) a storm scent that doesn’t turn to washing powder.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? Not really, but I actually don't mind this scent.

If you like this, try: Midnight on the Midway, Thunder Moon, Visiting the Temple…at the Winter Solstice

I love Midnight on the Midway, so obvs I just had to try Stormclouds. In the imp I detect an unusual though not unpleasant violet smell mixed with ozone and crystallized ginger...Perfumey, but promising. I can't wait and slather the oil on my left wrist, holding it up close to my nose...Ozone, some nag champa like smell that is shared by MoM and...I can clearly smell the Midway, the clouds about to burst, the incense...and a touch of something a bit hazy, otherworldly, and azure. I really like this one and will be hanging onto my decant!

ETA - I keep coming back to this one to smell it again, because it is so complex. This one is growing on me more and more and I see a big bottle purchase in my future!

Edited by TheOneTheyCallLuna

In the imp: I'm not sure if it's just the suggestion of "plum colored" smoke, but it does have a fruity edge to it. The ozone is fairly well blended in there, and the wormwood and opium tar are definitely bitter. This is at once a deep dank scent, and a crisp bright one-- very well layered!

Wet: Ozone explosion! Hmm.. much less incense/opium and wormwood.. heavy on the soap <_< I bought a bottle of Midnight on the Midway unsniffed and loved it.. was going to do the same with this one, but I guess I'm glad I waited and tried out an imp!

Dry: It definitely improves.. it actually is pretty evocative of the concept.. it's hints of that plum colored incense (spot on that is) and a splash of absinthe on the hot ground as the first drops of rain start to fall.

I've actually tried this one a few times, and some days it just goes straight to bitterness. I enjoy both opium and wormwood notes, but it's too bitter some days. Today is a "good" day, and while it's an interesting and unique blend I'm not sure I can justify a bottle when it's not a winner more days that not!

Even though I LOVE the concept.

I finally got hold of a decant of this! I was hoping, like others, that this would turn out to be an ozone scent that I would like because of the other components. And again I am won over by another CD. ^^

It turns out to be just what I'd hoped. I love the blast of ozone at the beginning, and how it recedes to reveal the smoky, incensey goodness, which proves to be gentler and more comforting in the dry stage than I expected. I don't get any sort of floral, and the incense is there but not overbearing. This is really yummy, and fun to reapply to get the ozone stage again.

I definitely like it better than I expected and should get a bottle while the Carnaval is still around.

It smells very light and clean in the bottle, sort of a subdued scent for me.

On wet, I definitely get ozone and a bit of something plummy in the background. Nothing smoky or incensey. Rather clean and unisex. Unlike Midnight on the Midway, which is like a heady sugary floral scent, Stormclouds is somewhat sophisticated and quiet. In terms of colour, it's greyish or blue-green.

A backup bottle of this for me, please. :D

From the vial I get a feeling of summer nights with hints of incense.

Wet on my skin it ends up smelling a bit like bug spray, but as it dries down that fades a bit. This is all ozone and incense on me, and I'm loving it. It really does remind me of a late night summer storm. The blend reminds me a bit of Thunder Moon, but with an incense background.

This is definitely bottle worthy, in my opinion.

In the imp: Plummy wormwood. Slightly medicinal smelling.

Wet: Mmmm dark plum with smoke. This reminds me of Medicine Show...through a thick purple mist.

Dry: Ahhh there's the ozone. This is actually quite nice. After reading the note listing I knew this one would be hit or miss for me (nothing inbetween). So far, so good! I'm really liking the imagery this conjures up. This smells mysterious and slightly dangerous (in a good way!) STotM dries down to a plummy incense scent with a background of ozone (a very faint, delicate background, as if the sky is so filled with smoke you can only get faint glimpses of it).

Overall: Another immediate LOVE for me. Truely a unique scent. Love love love! :wub2: