Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

FAEU BOULANGER

I thought this was an effect of bioluminescence, but it seems there is no source. Could it truly be a soul trapped within this glass dome? Impossible.

Mushroom gases, swamp mist, green mint, and bog violet.

I'm so glad I went with my instinct on this one! I just knew mushroom gases would not be like the mushroom country smell back at home, but most likely a soft earth scent. In it's first stage I get an earthy violet note pierced by mint notes. The dry down is simply gorgeous. The mint fades into the background, supporting the earthy aquatic notes that mix beautifully with light violet notes.

I'm not a floral person, as they tend to be amplified to ridiculous degrees when on my skin. The violet in this not overpowering and just melds so beautifully with all of the other notes.

Faeu Boulanger is a perfect summer blend. It is a juicy, sweet wet green plup mashed together with mint. Totally refreshing and gorgeous. Quite simply it is my favorite new BPAL blend

Mushroom gases and swamp mist made me long for this scent -- the scent of a will o' the wisp on a marsh, with ghostly white mushrooms sprouting among dead tree trunks, pale as puffy corpse fingers. The notes and imagery were spot on for this, as it is a completely otherworldly, haunting scent. It is barely there, but at the same time entrancing and all-consuming. It is not strong violet or mint, but both combine to form something new and just in between. A boggy aquatic herbal-floral? eta: and also, I would swear, a hint of melon or cucumber.

But that's not really doing it justice. It's a wet, misty flickering green-violet, swollen with moisture. The pallor of something that grows in the dark, but throbs with inner light. For something supernatural, it smells SO natural and fresh. As Tramp said, a perfect summer blend. I would not be frightened by either violet or mint, if those normally don't agree with you. If this sounds interesting, I say try it -- splash some on after a shower or a day in the hot sun and you will glow and possibly levitate.

Edited by sarada

This one completely floored me. It is so freaking amazing and it's like nothing I've ever smelled before. It is positively luminous—a glowing, brilliant green pulpy swampy violet with a hint of mint. Ethereal. Fleeting. It is a work of art, pure and simple.

Today we've got somethin' special for ya, folks, here at the BPAL Auditorium - mud wrestling! That's right - good clean, sloppy fun brought to you by our sponsors, Kebechet and Puddin. Let's give 'em a big round of applause! (holds up applause sign) First up is Faeu Boulanger! Getting in the ring are MG, Play Misty for Me, Deadly Violet, and Minty Fresh. It looks like we've got an unscheduled visitor right out of the bottle early in the round. Fruit? That's a real headscratcher. She's not even on the scorecard.

Anyhoo, in no time at all, MG and Misty are sidelined. Looks like it's gonna be a matchup between Violet and Minty and what a match it is. Violet's got Minty in a nasty headlock, and it doesn't look good. Minty is turning a lovely shade of purple - now there's a role reversal (heh heh). And Minty is down for the count! She isn't moving. The ref is nudging her with his foot. Looks like she didn't make it. Oh, too bad. It's a clear victory for Deadly Violet. Keep your betting tickets, folks. Odds were 9-to-1.

I don't get dirt and I barely get mint here (so if you're afraid of the mint, you need not worry!). What I DO get is grapefruit though. A pale grapefruit, like the one in Boabhan Sith. In fact, this reminds me a great deal of Boabhan Sith - it's light, has a flitting, pale fruit note, and is very crisp as well.

This is the CD scent I was looking most forwards to trying, and I got a bottle unsniffed. It's mostly because the idea of swampy bog violetz really clinched it for me. Also, I've always wanted to wear captured souls. Neat.

From the vial, it's not that violetty nor is it green or herby, it's definitely fresh, watery. It's got a very similar feel to the Tiki Blend Moana, but where Moana evolves towards a mildly salty, white subtle floral, Faeu stays misty and wet. It kind of smells like guava juice. citrus pulp, it's not cooling like peppermint, and I think if there is mint in this it is spearmint or watermint, some kind of less 'fresh and bracing' mint and more 'herbal grassy mint.' In terms of 'swampiness,' it really is what you'd think swamp mist would be - that filmy, breathy, steaming mist that hovers over the ground. There's not any of the dirt note I feel is present in blends like Penny Dreadful, Deep in Earth, all that. It's a scent that is glowy, transparent, that hovers in the swamp, but not in the ground of a swamp.

The strangest thing though is I get absolutely no sensation of violet at all off my skin. That's odd, because I love violets and make an effort to snorfle them in blends whenever possible, and Faue stays this citrussy, misty thing, and I can't for the life of me locate the florals. Whrrf?

GC similarz to Faeu, try: Nyarlathotep, R'Lyeh, Olokun, The Deep Ones.

In vial: Soft green, herbal, luminescent.

On me: Mint comes out! So pretty and refreshing. It has the same feel as a cucumber melon type scent - that cooling, pale green feel - but, unlike those, I quite like this.

Some time later: Oh my goat, this is gorgeous! The violets have come out to play now, but they're actually behaving themselves and just lending a poignant sweetness to the mint. So creamy and sweet! Between this and Torture Queen, I smell wonderful!

This is fantastic. If I can get over my 'if I wear mint, people will think I've spilled toothpaste on myself!' mental block, I'll like it even more.

If this had not been part of The Cabinet, I would not have tried it. Swamp gas? Violet kiss of (probable) death? No thanks!

But I'm so glad I did, because this is the most gorgeous aquatic blend! It's very wet and clean smelling in one layer. And then there's this...pulpy, stemmy green scent layer, a bit sweet, but full and robust. And then there's just a hint of floral sweetness in yet another layer...must be the violet? But it's a sparkling, star-kissed violet, and not the usual grudging, somber note. It's so sweet, complex, and lovely. Mmmm.

FAEU BOULANGER

In Bottle: Bright and aquatic

On Skin: I get a very bright green feel from this. It’s wet (swamp mist), clean (green mint) and even a bit sweet (from the violet). The mushroom note gives it a earthy touch and is not funky so don’t be scared. It’s a light scent and very alive and gender neutral. I would say this is a scent that would suit many people. It’s not dark as I had pictured, the contrast to me is a like a bog in the summer sun. It has a light throw and short to average wearlength.

I was really looking forward to this blend because of the mint and violet...of course, I get hardly any mint or violet and all mushroom gasses and swamp mist...and I love it!! It's mysterious but also joyous. It's a mist that nurtures planting and growth. This is a very bright herbal, and yes I do think I smell a little grapefruit. After drydown I can smell the mint and get just a hint of violet. I could definitely see this blend being a winner for a lot of people.

Wet this is sweet dewy florals mixed with something fresh and green. Almost like cucumber but not quite. When first on this is powdery violets and something green. After a minute or two, a melony note comes out. Something about this blend reminds me of Mi-Go Brain Canister (one of my all time favorites!). It's not as bright or fruity as Mi-Go but it has a similar feel to it. This blend definitely has a mossy/misty quality to it. I can't ever really detect the mushroom note. The mint is somewhat faint and in the background. The drydown on this is a nice almost creamy violet. This is a really unique and intriguing blend. I will be wearing this one a lot! I recommend this to anyone who wants something new and different for summer. Lovely and ethereal! :P

The description floored me, the reviews thus far really intrigued me, and I was dying to try Faeu Boulanger! Alas, for some reason my skin picked out something aquatic and amped it to the complete exclusion of everything else in the blend. :D I'm going to hang on to it and see what time will do to the perfume and hormonal ups-n-downs will do to my chemistry, though. I just refuse to believe that this is it! Can you hear Julie Andrews singing "Climb Every Mountain"? :P

Oh, Wunderkammer... such surprises you hold! I was quite looking forward to Faeu Boulnger, and while it was nothing like I expected (I totally did not let myself read any reviews) it still it's own brand of lovely. I was hoping for a murky, nearly rotting etheral mist with wet violets, but this is crisp and uplifting. The word "vegetative" keeps springing to mind. In fact, this smells like it could be a green Rappaccini's Garden blend. A touch of odd sweetness, thanks to the green mint. It goes through a phase on my skin, 10 minutes or so into wearing, that it's almost too much for me; too biting, or too fresh, or too sweet... something. I preserved on and it turns out this is better after quite some time (it's mildly strong, so it sticks). I don't particularly smell violets until the final fade-out. This reminds me of so many things, yet it's still unique... the mint and violets provide a similar bite-and-sweet like Moon of Ice, it's seasonal like Beltane, and nearly cucumber-y or melon-y like... well, I can't think of anything specifically. Finally, as some have said before me, this is really an ideal refreshing summer scent, and quite different from all the other dark Wunderkammer blends.

The violet and mint combination is very pretty and clean-smelling. This is indeed a refreshing scent. It smells a little bit aquatic, but not too much at all -- that just adds to the clean-smelling part of the scent. There's the hint of something slightly boggy underneath it, but instead of dragging down the bright part of the scent, it seems to just make it more interesting. This scent has a lot of sparkle.

I like this one.

In the bottle, it smells exactly like the description. Unfortunately, on my skin, this is a pleasant violet scent but there is absolutely nothing else going on. No mint, none of that mushroomy Death Cap note I was hoping for. Pity, really. I agree with the poster that says it's cucumbery -- almost like bath products really. Also agree about Baobhan Sith, where unfortunately all the things that I wasn't hoping for also came out. I think I'll stick with Zombi for my swampy florals, although I can certainly see the appeal of this one -- I'm just not sufficiently keen on violets, I think.

Oh man, I get a really strong melon note from the beginning. It's a melony kind of violet, wispy and cool. On the drydown, there is a bit of an Irish Spring, but it bounces back to the melony violet mist.

Lovely.

In the imp...green...young green growing things. Very, very springlike, to me.

On me, wet, the same. Green, green growing things before anything has managed to bloom. Probably still wet from the mist or rain, but, I don't smell any dirt or mud. Clean.

I don't know any of the notes and can't pick anything out, but, springlike, clean and green is how I'd describe the scent. Dry, it smells slightly drier to me, like the mist is gone and the sun is warming things up, but, everything is still green.

Softly violet aquatic with a hint of mint. The mint fades, the violet strengthens. Dries down to a soft, sweet aquatic scent with the suggestion of violets. A very good warm weather scent.

Nice, but probably not a keeper for me. I was hoping for more mint on this one.

Watery cucumber and soft, candied violet with a bit of sweet mint thrown in for good measure. It's like Faith and Tulzscha had wonderful babies together.

It can get a bit sweet and aquatic at times, but it's really nice refreshing.

If this sounds interesting, I say try it -- splash some on after a shower or a day in the hot sun and you will glow and possibly levitate.

I think she's right. Can I get geeky on you all for a second? I promise it won't hurt.

I declare this to be the official scent of Zangarmarsh, in the Outlands (in the World of Warcraft, naturally). You know those big insects that sting you there, that make you sparkle for awhile? The first stage of FB is like that-- sure, you can't stealth :D but why would you want to when you smell this great?

That first stage smells cool and bright and a little fizzy-- other people are saying cucumber and mint, and I see what they mean, but I swear I smell grapefruit. This phase goes away after awhile, but lasts just long enough. After that, this oil lingers nicely on my skin for the rest of the day. Perfect.

The name of the scent is weird and makes me think of a fairy working in a French pastry shop, but it sure doesn't smell that way. I LOVE this scent. LOVE. Perfection. I will be wearing this a LOT.

Faeu Boulanger FTW! :P

I wasn't too excited about trying Faeu Boulanger, because I haven't been impressed with mint+violet scents that I've tried in the past. This is a pretty nice scent, though, and I'm glad that it isn't overwhelmingly minty on me. It's the only Wunderkammer scent that I've actually liked (though I still haven't tried Bezoar).

I like the watery, effervescent smell to this. I keep switching between thinking it smells of aquatic cucumber, watery honeydew melon, or cucumber & grapefruit. It's a watery, clear, clean smell with a bit of zip to it. There's also a sweetness to this that is pleasant and not overwhelming. It's almost like a mix of candied violet and soapy-clean violet on me, with the background of green, watery, pulpy aquatic smells. The mint is cool, clear, and almost sugary on me.

In the drydown, the mint slowly fades away and this is mostly sweet violet and clean aquatic on me. It's a pretty scent, and rather unique... I think I'll keep my decant of this one.

Faeu Boulanger - This is a clean, slightly murky, powerdy water scent with a hint of mint and sweet violet, and perhaps a faint trace of dirt. It's a beautiful, ethereal scent and very clean smelling, despite the use of the words "swamp" and "bog" in the scent description, which normally make me think of something heavy and stagnant. I ordered a full bottle and am considering getting another. It has a lovely level of throw and the staying power is well above average.

I like violets. A lot. I like mint a lot.

Something in Faeu Boulanger goes very wrong on me.

Once on my skin this becomes a heachache-inducing sweet floral with no relief in sight. Even now, about two hours after I put it on, sniffing my arm too closely makes my eyes water. It might be the aquatic smell which other reviewers have mentioned that's going wrong - generally aquatics turn into OMG DRYER SHEETS on me.

I'm glad I got a decant of this one first! I was convinced it was going to LOOOVE it.

at first all i smelled was watermelon and aquatics. then it mellows out and i get a soft aquatic, but i can't really make out any other notes. i can't seem to sense the violet or mint at all. it's very ethereal and it is pretty, it's just not for me.

Edited by theseagrows