Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
proserpina

Meadow scents!

I've been looking for a scent that says, "I've just rolled down a warm, grassy hill covered with wildflowers," with the emphasis on the flowers. In other words, a mixed-floral bouquet, with grass that is noticeable yet not predominant. I'd prefer that it have no more than a whiff of herbal, fruity, powdery, or aquatic notes. Also, any jasmine notes shouldn't be too strong/heady.

Jasmine Cottage sounds perfect, based on the reviews here. However, it's not available as an imp, and I'm leery of making an un-sniffed purchase. Sundew might be a contender, but it sounds too soft and a bit too clean. I checked out all of the seemingly relevant past threads, but unfortunately they were too focused on pure grass or herbal/fruity/powdery/aquatic notes.

I know that all sounds really picky, but as long as the florals-with-grass specification is met, I'm open to suggestions!

Rosalind has a really grassy-meadowy quality. It's light and green and has a bit of a wildflower throw. I really like it as a summer scent, it's clean and fresh without being linen-y. You might also want to toss Amsterdam into an imp order, although I would rec Rosalind over Amsterdam as Amsterdam has a very true grass note (natch), it also has some aquatic tendencies.

Scarecrow is a perfect grass note to my nose. You could try layering it with a light floral like Utrennyaya.

Eos has a skin musk note with jasmine, honeysuckle and buttercup. It's a bit more sexy than the other suggestions, but the skin musk lends a really warm, sunny quality to the scent. It really does smell like clean, sun-warmed skin.

Two, Five & Seven is more primarily a rose with a touch of green grass, but you might want to try it to see if your skin amps up the green notes.

Have you tried The Passionate Shepherd to His Love? It was a Lupercalia LE from this year. You might also like Garden Path with Chickens from the Salon. Both of these were more floral than grassy on me (but I do tend to amp florals), and neither had a strong jasmine component. I'd also like to second the recommendations for Rosalind and Amsterdam. If you like dandelion, you might want to check out Roadhouse and One to Tie, Two to Win, too.

Edited by Apple

ooh, I second the Fairy Market! And Jasmine Cottage, IMO, fits the bill perfectly - but I do understand the hesitation about ordering unsniffed bottles because I have it myself.

Although the poem and imagery don't seem like they'd fit your request, The Reaper and The Flowers has a nice green quality and the chrysanthemum and carnation give it a spicy, stemmy vibe that I associate with wildflowers.

I think Amsterdam would be worth trying to see what your chemistry does with it - some people get aquatic from it, but since it's a GC you can order or swap for an imp fairly easily. I like the lab's tulip note, it seems to have a bit of green in it regardless of what it is used with.

Now, if you take the plunge into searching for LEs in the swap forum, there was an LE from spring 2005 called Flower Moon that I'd definitely recommend. I haven't tried the 2008 version of Beltane, but the 2005 and 2006 incarnations both were very meadow-y to me.

I've been looking for a scent that says, "I've just rolled down a warm, grassy hill covered with wildflowers," with the emphasis on the flowers. In other words, a mixed-floral bouquet, with grass that is noticeable yet not predominant. I'd prefer that it have no more than a whiff of herbal, fruity, powdery, or aquatic notes. Also, any jasmine notes shouldn't be too strong/heady.

Jasmine Cottage sounds perfect, based on the reviews here. However, it's not available as an imp, and I'm leery of making an un-sniffed purchase. Sundew might be a contender, but it sounds too soft and a bit too clean. I checked out all of the seemingly relevant past threads, but unfortunately they were too focused on pure grass or herbal/fruity/powdery/aquatic notes.

I know that all sounds really picky, but as long as the florals-with-grass specification is met, I'm open to suggestions!

Phantom Queen. You want Phantom Queen. ~nodnod~

I'd second The Passionate Shepherd to His Love.

Maybe also Mag Mell? Though I also get a very golden feel from it. It definitely has the sweet grass bit, though. I'm not sure about the florals.

Since you can try it in imp form, I suggest you throw in a sample of Squirting Cucumber. To me, this is the freshest, coolest, greenest, most delicately floral summertime blend. I would definitely roll in it. :P

Seconded. I love meadows/wildflowers, and if it weren't for the fact that this dries down a little too sweetly on me, it'd be perfect-- the clover in it is amazing.

I have to throw in with the Rosalind, Passionate Shepherd, 2-5-7 (Rose Red, too), and Squirting Cuke crowd.

Rosalind is one of the best dew-covered grass n' delicately sweet floral blends I've ever come across. I didn't think I even *liked* - let alone could *wear* - a scent comprised of such wet/grassy/flowery elements, but Rosalind showed me the way. It's just lovely. :P

Passionate Shepherd to his Love is another wet grass/clover + fleurs concoction. The heather and tea rose sweeten all that cool greenery up, while the carnation lends itself to a warm, lightly spiced drydown. Gorgeous blend.

Two, Five, Seven and Rose Red make me smell like I've rolled down a hill of freshly mown grass and scattered rose petals.

Squirting Cucumber is fresh and cool and sweet and green. It's not floral, per se, but it *does* have an almost nectar-esque quality to it that balances well with all that "green-ness". Worth trying out, at any rate. :D

Yep, Phantom Queen's the first thing that came to mind for me, too. I also recommend Rosalind. She's a beauty, she is. Glasgow reminds me of a meadow, though it might be a bit too heavy on the blackberry. Too bad Vinland was discontinued. Early batches were absolutely gorgeous and smelled very much like a sweet, cool meadow high on a mountaintop. (Later batches of Vinland weren't quite the same -- they had a strong wintergreen bite.)

Now *I* want to smell like a meadow. :P

Edited by riddel

Passionate Shepherd--one of my all-time faves that I wish I had five bottles of--Glasgow, Fairy Wine, Fairy Market (though I lean more toward Wine), Beltane '08, April Fool '08.

I second Scarecrow. It goes a lovely, lovely, long lasting sweet hay on me after putting up with smelling grossly like nailpolish remover for the first few minutes of wet.

Hi all. :P I thought I knew what I liked, but well, apparently I got addicted to a new scent.

I was driving my dog around the more isolated hill areas around here late at night. I think they were pastures and the smell was of watered and fresh-cut grass, but I'm pretty sure I smelled some straw or something mixed in there. There was some kind of earthy smell in addition to flat-out newly-mowed lawn. I'm having a difficult time describing it.

I'm wondering if there's anything at all similar to it? I'm looking at the website but I've only smelled one BPAL oil before (sad, I know) and I'm thinking a little input might help me out here. Any particular notes I should be looking for in your opinion? Would appreciate some help <3 Thanks much in advance!

You should definitely check out A Blade Of Grass, I haven't sniffed it myself, but all the reviews for it have raved about it being quite like fresh, green grass with touches of autumn leaves. The reviews are here: A Blade Of Grass

It's worth checking out that one, as it's a Halloweenie it'll only be around till November 15th.

Hope this helps! :P

I'm always on the lookout for grass and earth smells also :P I've tried the Hay Moon Limited Edition recently that contained a note called Hay Absolute. On me I got lots of the other notes in that particular scent, but as it dried down I got a nice summer pasture smell. I think if you put Hay or Grass or Soil or Dirt into the Search engine at blackphoenixalchemylab.com it will show you the perfumes that have included those particular notes. Hope that helps and good luck!

Definitely check out Blade of Grass, but you could also try the Apothercary, Squirting Cucumber and the Caterpillar in the General Catalog. You could also try Garden Path with Chickens, which is a General Catalog scent, but doesn't come in an imp. For a hay scent, you could look for Hay Moon, whihc is a limited edition, but should be relatively easy to find.

That's a pretty specific scent but we here at the BPAL forums are always looking to please. If you want to pick up a few imps:

Rosalind: Wet green grass with a hint of berries. It might be too dewey for what you're looking for, but it's your best straight up "grass" scent.

Coyote: Musky, soft grass. It's hot, dry and smells like an afternoon driving through the prairies. The caveat is that it might be too dry, but the musk in this is amazing and it blends with the grass notes phenomenally.

Scarecrow: Straight up prairie grass. It can smell like nail polish remover before it hits the skin so keep that in mind if you acquire an imp.

Antony: Strong, masculine and herbal. Depending on your chemistry, this might work.

I'd definitely recommend Coyote. Otherwise, be sure to check swaps and sales for LE decants and let us know when you've found something that works.

I think BPAL grass scents (and the discussion of them) kind of falls in two categories - fresh, green grass and drier grasses or haylike scents. I think what you're describing kind of falls in between the two, and as you are probably already learning, your skin chemistry will ultimately determine whether the scent that one person says is just perfect is also perfect for you!

So I would definitely take a look at the threads that are linked above when you get a chance, you will probably get a few recs there in addition to the ones that you get here. Try everything that you can, and if anything is close but not quite what you're looking for, put it away for future layering possibilities. You may discover another scent down the road that will be the peanut butter to its chocolate :P

Some of the scents that you might want to put on your list - lots of people get sweetgrass and hay from Van Van. Coyote has a nice sweetgrass note that you might like too. My favorite green grass scent is probably Garden Path with Chickens (I am looking forward to trying The Schoolhouse soon, though, I find that the Lab's dandelion note smells very much like fresh grass to me!) Even the green-grass scents that have floral notes end up smelling mostly grassy to me, so be brave and try Pontarlier, Rosalind, and Amsterdam.

I'd second the suggestion about tracking down a decant or bottle of Hay Moon if you can. It was a very recent LE and I see it pop up on the swaps forums a lot - although I wouldn't say it's a love it or hate it scent, it seems like it didn't work out for a lot of people who thought it would be perfect for them, all of which adds up to it not being impossible to find like some LEs.

Beth seems to like the hay absolute note she's discovered, she used it prominently in Hay Moon and Bezoar, so maybe we'll have more scents with that note soon, too.

You could also try The Lion: The dry, glorious warmth of the Savannah. A golden, spiced amber, proud, regal and ferocious. It smells like dry grass to me, but maybe you'd like it too, or could layer it. There's also the Dogs Playing Poker series scent One to Tie, Two to Win, but that's older and there's not that much of it out there.

Beth seems to like the hay absolute note she's discovered, she used it prominently in Hay Moon and Bezoar, so maybe we'll have more scents with that note soon, too.

It's in Needle in a Haystack too. :P Not that I would recommend buying the whole pumpkin patch just to get it!

Whoa, you guys know your stuff! Now I have a whole list of stuff to check out. <3 thanks a ton! Oh, and I already have Coyote on my list because it just seems awesome, so now I have even more of a reason to look into it. Thanks again guys! :P