Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Cordelia

The essence of faith, love and devotion: lilac, lemon, green tea, wisteria, osmanthus, white cedar, and Chinese musk.

This is a very strange scent on me... a real changer. It was as if I was changing scents throughout the day.

Wet: Bright, clean, musky floral.

On my arm: Lilac blossoms and lemony florals. This smells fresh and clean, very pretty and wearable.

About 10-20 min. later: This is a purely wood scent. No florals at all anymore, I smell cedar. I love wood scents so I'm happy about this. I just am surprised that this went from sweet florals to acrid cedar so quickly. Now I'm reminded almost of Anne Bonny.

Hours later: Still Cedar, but it's soft now. This is now a woody green scent with... wait... skin musk undertones?

At the end of the day: Now this smells like soft white musk and florals, maybe even a tiny bit of rose. The crazy thing is that this note is strong, as if I just applied a musk perfume.

Cordelia is nothing if not unusual. I'm glad for the chance to try it but I may have to wear it a few more times before I know if I'd like to own it or not.

Oddly enough, it sort of fits the changes in the character's life in the play. Edited by Shollin

Frimp from the lab :P

In the vial: Very mild, unobtrusive scent. Smells clean and floral.

Wet on me: Ooh nice, the musk and the tea comes out to blend with the wisteria and lilac.

Drydown: Citrus now comes to the forefront but is tempered by the musk, tea and flowers. Very beautiful and relaxing, it remains on the skin.

Verdict: Lovely, lovely blend. Like a subtly sweeter version of Dirty. I'm definitely keeping the imp.

Edited by mandragora

In the bottle: an unexpectedly tangy herbal, which seems to be the lemon with cedar & osmanthus. On: Oh my. Lovely, lovely lilac blended with wisteria, subtle notes of green tea and a light, pale musk. This is gorgeous. I don't normally like florals that much, but I adore lilac, as we had 4 huge old bushes of it at my childhood home. It's a very visceral connection to Spring, warmth and beauty for me. And bonus! This scent is not so cloying as to smell like my mother or a funeral home. This may be a big bottle purchase.

In the bottle: Cedar? Something very woodsy and slightly herby, on a backdrop of lilac.

Wet: the lilac comes out stronger, and I can smell the white musk. The tea and wisteria also make an appearance.

Drydown: This is mostly wisteria and lilac, very sweet, on a base of white musk. There's a strange woodsy afterscent that I can't place, could be the cedar and osmanthus. It smells... oriental?

Overall: I had bought it for the lemon/lilac combo, but it's not very obvious. I find it both too sweet and too woodsy for me, and though it's pleasant, I can't picture myself wearing it. Still, a pleasant scent.

This is a delicious, spicy, musky floral on me. The cedar and lilac intertwine beautifully and it's divine. I'm loving the herbal notes that are floating around and the sensual musk. I may need a big bottle of this juice.

Damn my white musk-amping skin! The musk completely overpowered the (very nice) florals and made me smell as though I'd sweated heavily in floral deodorant.

I really, really wanted to like Cordelia, because of the Shakespeare/Buffy double whammy, but noooo, it was not meant to be.

Cordelia is a tolerable musk in the imp, although it has an edge of greenery to it that makes me nervous. But it's okay, just not knock-your-socks-off hot.

Once it hits my chemistry, it's a whole other story. Luckily, this one faded fast, and it's now but a clean laundry ghost of what it was, but back when it was disturbing me, it was nothing but sawdust and overwhelming detergenty florals. I think the lilac and cedar combo is just not for me.

I was looking forward to the lemon and green tea combo, thinking this would an edgier, warmer Holiday Moon, but I can't find them at all. Definitely not a scent I'll be revisiting unless my chemistry changes.

In the Imp: Pretty, bright floral.

Wet on skin: Ummmm. Lemon.

Drydown: Continues to be lemony. I'm kind of overpowered by the lemon-ness of this, actually. I feel like I smell like cleaning products. :D I wanted this to be more lilacy and green tea-y, I guess. Wah!

Final Impression: After trying out Venice, as well, apparently my skin just amps up lemon (but doesn't seem to have that problem with lemon verbena, thankfully). Blah. That's unfortunate, because I really like the other notes in this. It fades to almost nothing on my skin after about 6 hours. I guess I'll have to go looking for a different lilac scent! :P

the main thing i get from cordelia is the cedar - some lemon too, but mostly the cedar. i like the woodsiness of it, but i only wear these woody scents occasionally. there's a trace of lilac - the wisteria must be very subtle too - on me everything is dwarfed by the cedar. i like it though - it has a quiet strength, and smells clean and "natural", but has a bit of mystery, probably due to the white musk. it's a bit plain perhaps, not a real sensual scent - but it has an understated prettiness.

Preconcieved Notions: Whenever I hear the name Cordelia, I think of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I can't help the association, it's a permanent mental link between one thing and another. I'm hoping that BPAL's Cordelia will break the association up a bit and steer me back to Shakespeare.

In the imp: Tea, florals and cedar. Yay cedar! I love woodsy bases!

Wet: I get a blast of flowers initially: wisteria, lilac and the osmanthus ring clear, and below that a very solid white cedar base which I looooooooove. Have I mentioned that yet?

Drydown: Oh this is so nice and fresh. It's like the lighter, happier compliment to Grandmother of Ghosts. Cordelia sits on the opposite end of the spectrum, like the ying and yang of florals and woods.

Verdict: Damn. I might just have to get a bottle. 4/5 on Medici's Scale o' Lurrrve

In the imp, it reminds me of some very strong, very expensive perfume. While it mellows out on my skin, it never really loses that florally feeling, and it's a bit much for me.

Off to swaps on this one.

This is lovely and so complex that I don't even really know where to begin to describe it. I received it as a frimp and am terribly glad that I did, as I never would have ordered it on my own.

The scent doesn't change much from imp to wet on skin to dry for me, which is a welcome change; usually my chemistry plays havoc with initial scents, especially when they're woodsy. The variance comes instead in the scent as it dissipates into the air. The waft is florals and tea, soft and feminine, and makes me crave cucumber sandwiches. Against my skin, though, it's wood, cedar, with the florals playing through it like a sachet tucked into an old chest. I adore the contradiction, especially as it seems to capture so perfectly the differences between private and public personas.

Sadly, much as I love this scent, the cedar eventually gives me a headache. It's still lovely, but that side-effect is a bit too much for me.

oh, cordelia, why oh why?

Lemon/green tea? Should be LOVELY! But the cedar and musk are all I can smell on me... and, well, after some time? Just musk. musk, musk, musk :D Musk does not like me,and i do not like musk. what a shame :P

I really wanted to love this! But sadly it's a no go...

In the bottle: Smells a bit bitter and mossy? (maybe the cedar?) Not at all what I was expecting.

Wet: Come out as strong cedar on me, then a soft floral note developed in the background but the cedar still dominant.

Dry: Mostly the same as when wet. A little bit of musk added to the mix...smooths it out a little. Still woody scents and I do not get along and this has a lot of cedar.

bottle:

fresh green floral

wet:

fresh, herbal and floral, some lemon, a clean scent

dry:

really nice fresh light floral! I was worried about the lilac but I love this combination.

overall:

love it

rating: 8/10

In the imp: ooooh, delicious musky florals.

On me, wet: the tea and the citrus come forward, really brightening the musk and softening the wisteria. Lovely!

On me, dry: sigh, this fades so fast - and all that's left behind is a faint hint of cedar and a waft of musk.

Verdict: argh. Time to get a scent locket for stuff like this, since this is gorgeous while it lasts.

In imp: a light, airy scent. It feels expansive when I smell it, which is odd.

Wet: I can barely smell this. White florals?

Drydown: A musky white floral.

Top notes: lilac and green tea.

Middle notes: a slightly stale lilac.

Base notes: OK, now it's pulling together. I can smell all the various notes.

Throw: light.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5. Not my thing, but not bad.

When I opened the imp, I noted that Cordelia smells just like my BPAL box - a bit sweet, a bit smoky. Very intriguing.

On my skin, the lighter notes were present for about ten seconds. Then the cedar and musk ran ahead shouting "me first!" all the way. Seriously, I'm just getting body odor and pencil shavings from it now. I wish I could say more, but so far as this blend is concerned, I seem to have silly personal chemistry. ;p

Now this one's a surprise--definitely not just another floral. The last few blends I tried with lemon ended up browbeating me with a can of Lemon Pledge, but not Cordelia. The green tea reminds me a little of Bewitched; the florals are there, of course, but there's also an edge of almost-spiciness. And then there's the cedar, a perfect touch, and an aromatic nod to Lear. Nice connection!

Cordelia – The first time I tried Cordelia, it was a very bitter floral and the white cedar encased the bitter floral with a very strong aroma. The next time I tried Cordelia, the bitterness wasn’t there, but the cedar was most definitely the strongest note followed by a soft hint of lemon and a touch of tea. The scent sticks close to my skin and is very light. It would be a really pretty spring or summer scent for anyone who doesn’t mind cedar. On me, it just doesn’t work. The scent fades on me fairly quickly, within the first hour or so.

In the bottle: Mmm! I was concerned with this being too floral, what with the lilac and wisteria, but this is quite pleasant. I never would have picked it out for myself, and I would have been doing myself a disservice. There is a definite floral note, something sharp. But underneath there is a mellowness; I really like that.

Wet: Oh, the floral seems to sink into my skin. It's barely there at all right now, which I like. I'm smelling the tartness of lemon and I can sense the musk way back in the mix. (I hardly ever notice the tea scents, which is disappointing, because I adore tea.)

Drying: Mrm. Here comes what I'm pretty sure is the wisteria. It might be lilac, but I thought wisteria was a more heady smell. Isn't lilac supposed to be a bit more delicate? I'm not overly thrilled with most florals, particularly more than one flowery note, but this isn't terrible. It is bright and feminine. I'm getting an image of a sunlit bouquet spiked with lots of greenery. It's serene and pleasant; almost placid. It's light and easy to breathe in. (One of the reasons I'm not a floral girl is because some of the scents make my nose and palate burn, although I must also admit I prefer not to smell like a delicate damsel. I don't like pink, ruffles or lace, either.)

As it dries further, I continue to get a mostly floral smell, which piques me a bit. I would much rather smell that delicious lemon-green-earthy white, of which, unfortunately, I'm just getting hints.

Hmm ... I think as it's mellowing those bits I prefer are starting to seep out? Yes. A bit more light green and citrusy, with the musk faint on my skin.

Afternotes: This seems the most "perfumey" imp I've tried so far. It could easily be a drugstore counter formulation. It's gentle and crisp, with a light throw that's present but not intrusive. It brings to mind the idea of medieval salons, ladies-in-waiting gathered to chat while sewing. (Which probably isn't too far off for something named for the daughter of King Lear.) Not something I'd normally pick for myself, but it may suit certain special occasions. Cordelia is a romantic, springtime scent. It's soft, feminine and calm. I can envision wearing it for a happy picnic, for high tea or morning wedding.

Scott-sniff: "Mmm-hmm, that smells good."

Verdict: Keep imp.

The osmanthus and lilac with the woods make this very similar to Ouija to my nose. The lemon and tea make it sharper while wet, and the musk is creamy once it is dried down, but it is not the holy grail of lilac and musk that I was dreaming of.

On first application, Cordelia's white cedar note captures my senses immediately. Although I have not worn Lear in perhaps two years, the scent of Cordelia instantly connected with that fragrance. In fact, it was this olfactory memory that prompted me to recall the origins of Cordelia (to my shame, I had been drawing a blank). The fragrance of this blend is very much a sweeter, more feminine Lear, with a slightly spicy undercurrent (not so strong on me) befitting of the young princess's strength of character.

Where the father is old dry and venerable, Cordelia is brimming with youth and life. It's an enchanting fragrance, and I actually prefer it to Lear. Although I can't particularly imagine myself wearing it, I wouldn't hesitate to give it to special lady in my life.

Cordelia Haiku,

Be not so decieved,

Her sharp words bear more love than

Any flattery.

This was OK. I put it in my "still in the fence" pile. It kind of got a bit soapy on me, with a hint of something spicy. It had a zing overtone...I dont know how else to word it.

I got Cordelia as a frimp and it reminds me a lot of the perfume I bought myself for my birthday...and have been trying to sell ever since.

Sure it's soft and floral and pretty, but that makes me think that this is the perfect perfume for a young girl coming of age who is looking for something a little more sophisticated than her Limited Too body sprays.

Yes...definately a scent to corrupt--I mean er...enable the young.