Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Depraved

A salacious, lecherous, leering scent - dirty and dark, slapped with a wet sweetness. Earthy black patchouli swelling with apricot.

I've been away from BPAL for almost two years. I think in that time I've worn a BPAL scent a handful of times. Boy did I miss it! This is the first time in a few months wearing a scent, so it was randomly chosen from my GC imp box. This one is at least 6 or 7 years old, and I now realize that I've never tried it before!

I didn't sniff the bottle but put it directly on my wrists, but only a small bit. First impression was WOW! That's powerful! (A little went a LONG way!) The scent of a sweet juicy fruit and dirt came to mind immediately. I have no idea what the dirt smell is since I've forgotten what some of the notes actually smell like. I'm a bit confused about the fruit as well, but its definitely a ripe one. As it dried I smelled the wet dirt smell a bit better while the fruit mellowed and sweetened it. I like this! I looked up the notes and I guess I'm not the least bit surprised. I can smell it now. I'd like to see how this develops on me. So far it's bottle worthy!

In the bottle it smells sweet, fruity apricots.

Wet it has a very strong patchouli smell. Almost dirt like.

Dry- the apricot comes through again softens the scent.

the patchouli may still be a little overpowering.

Would recommend for anyone who loves a dark smelling patchouli.

In imp- sticky sweet syrupy patchouli. My god that's gorgeous.

On skin- STILL GORGEOUS. This is not your old man's patchouli. This is an ultra-femme version of patchouli that I'm really digging on. Utter sensuality and wicked lewdness captured in scent form. The sweetness of apricot mixing with the earthy spice of patchouli is just... absolutely stunning.

Drydown- Patchouli and apricot have blended beautifully into a sweet/earthy/juicy sex romp on my skin. I wish I were a cupcake, I'd eat me.

Verdict- Man, why was I ever worried about apricot ruining patchouli? This scent feels like it was made for me, my chemistry is baking this up fabulously. Of course nobody else is going to get to smell how heavenly I am right now (maybe 'heavenly' is the wrong word? XD) but there's always tomorrow. And the next day...

In the imp: Sticky sweet fruity ... dirt?

Wet on skin: No, that's not dirt, it's wood. Wood and peaches ... (goes to look up description) ... oh it's apricot!

Drydown: Woody, sweet apricot. One sniff and I get wood followed by the most mouth watering scent of apricot. So I sniff again, Ugh it's the damn wood scent ... stupid patchouli ... then the glorious apricot. And this goes on till someone notices that I'm sniffing myself. So I stop.

Well, I will chalk this up to my skin chemistry and patchouli. My skin seems just wants to make patchouli smell like wood. :cry2: Oh well. The apricot in this blend is just phenomenal - it's sweet, sun warmed and juicy. I would give this blend a go if you like patchouli and or deeper, more grounded fruit blends.

Edited by Deliciousness

I'm kind of torn on this one. I oscillate between loving it and being underwhelmed.

I'm not very experienced with patchouli, and I was hoping this would have the same patchouli as Goblin- very earthy and smooth. Unfortunately this patchouli smells very woody to me. I guess black patchouli is more woody than whatever is in Goblin (red patchouli?).

The apricot is lovely, sweet and fresh. And it does pair very nicely with patchouli. The is very feminine, not at all hippy-ish. The apricot disappears entirely in the middle stage, leaving woody patchouli on its own, which I don't like. But when it dries apricot shows up again and it's very lovely. I just don't know if it's worth putting up with the middle stage to get to the dry.

If apricot was paired with another patchouli I think I'd go gaga over this! It's really an inspired pairing. I'm just not a huge fan of the woodiness here.

Wet: Dark, earthy apricot.

Drydown: Strong, dirty patchouli brightened by the distinct scent of apricot flesh. As it settles on the skin the two meld together, the patchouli smoothing out and the tang of the apricot settling down. Softer and fuzzier, but still wild. Bold, but not abrasive; this scent has a confident magnetism.

Dry: Devilishly dark, but golden-orange too. Soft, but absolutely menacing. The patchouli has teeth, smelling like dark wood and upturned soil. This little fruit is a beast. Note: This stuff lasts like whoa.

7 out of 10 bones

I got this as a frimp, and unfortunately (for me) it smells exactly like the description

It smells like the bottom of boots that have walked on the decaying leaves and earth of the forest floor at night, and someone left them next to my face while I was sleeping.

It actually started to make me gag within a few minutes and was VERY stubborn about coming off. I coated my wrists with Morrocco to try to cover up the residue. BLEGH

In the imp: Dirt!

Wet on my skin: Rich, black soil and a bit of sweet apricot.

Dry: Normally, I adore patchouli in a scent blend. However, the apricot alone just doesn't make this shine, at least to my nose. It's not bad by any means, but there are many other patchouli scents I have that are much more interesting, and I usually prefer slightly more complex scents. HOWEVER, I think this one could be an excellent layering scent, so I will keep it around to experiment with for when I need to ground something that is a bit too sharply sweet for my tastes.

I can't believe I never bothered to review this!

Depraved is one of my top 10 GC's. There is something so perfect about the combo of patchouli and apricot. It's a little dirty, a little sexy, and altogether perfect. Granted, my bottle is beautifully aged. But I remember loving it just as much when I first got it.

It's so straightforward, there's not really much to describe. Patchouli (not really gnarly patchouli, but softer, maybe red patchouli?) and sweet apricot. It's not the fresh apricot of Pandy, this is more of a preserved apricot to my nose. I think Depraved is amazing and I intend to never run out of it.

I amp the ever lovin' heck out of patch, so for me this is pretty much SN patchouli. There's the faintest hint of fruit, but it's only detectable with my nose to my hand. I do like patch, but Goblin is much better suited to my tastes.

In the imp: Apricot, followed by the black patchouli.

Wet: Same. It doesn't take long for the black patchouli note declares dominion over the apricot note, though, making it a smoky apricot scent.

Dry: The black patchouli note reigns, and the apricot note has taken up a background role.

Verdict: I'll be sticking with Aristocratic Couple (and what remains of my imp of the beloved March Hare) for my apricot fix, but if you like apricot and enjoy smelling strongly of patchouli, give this a whirl.

Wand: On smelling this, my stomach wants to know if it should turn over. I can at this point identify "earthy black" patchouli as a patchouli that's not my friend. This even smells a bit like tobacco. I love apricot, but it's mostly buried in the murk.

Wet: Hurk. Where's the apricot? Only a faint hint in a mighty black quake of patchouli.

Dry: Gag. I had to wash it off, but I still smelled it. Verdandi was a good cover-up at that point.

I like fruit with black tea, fruit with black vetiver, and so on. I recognize my urge here is to continue the trend with fruit plus anything black, and figure it has a chance. But for me, black patchouli is a destroyer of chance, and makes for a certain fate. But, goal accomplished: I've now tried a fruitchouli, and will steer clear henceforth.

Aged imp Depraved is just wonderful dark, dark patch-apricot and I rarely like scents with fruits in them. Absolutely in my top faves, could wear this all the time and never get bored.

Fresh bottle Depraved is lighter on patch and reminds of tea, which is always a plus. Hoard-worthy!

Overall, really strong projection and lasts for days :wub3:

Ok so I was a little nervous about this one (patchouli seems to be very love it or hate it) so I intended to take is easy on application. I applied about half of my usual amount. Well that was far far FAR too much because this was the strongest bpal I've ever tried. OMFG. Like I actually quite liked the scent, which was a deep apricot. Unlike Grand Guignol, it wasn't candied or syrupy. It was a fresh ripe apricot fruit. The patchouli added an earthy darkness to the scent. My wrist smelled like a dark twist on apricot, which I really enjoyed. And it seemed sorta strong but not too bad. However, every once in a while i'd catch a strong bit of the patchouli with made me nervous that it was too noticeable. Turns out, the peach part of the scent stayed close to me, which was all I could smell. The far throw, what everyone else smelled, was all aggressive patchouli. When I walked past a coworker she was omg are you wearing patchouli perfume? It's sooo strong! And I was like damn it I freaking KNEW IT. So of course I ran to the bathroom and scrubbed it off :blush2: Super embarrassing. For the rest of the night it was a subtle, tame apricot from the little that transferred from my neck to my hair. So while I actually did like this one, I'm gonna apply like maybe one single drop to one wrist and that's about it at this rate I won't use up the imp til 2075. Imagery is an apricot half buried in dark brown dirt. As much as I like unsubtle perfumes with nice sillage, there is apparently one that crosses the line of *too much* and I found it haha

Imp: oooooo mama! dark apricot. faint whisps of the darkest patchouli ever
Wet on Me: by allthe gods still that dark sweep apricot and that deep dark patchouli
Drying Down: gloriously juicy apricot dripping over the dirtiest, darkest, most fabulously filthy patchouli.
Dry: by all the gods this is earthy patchouli with the juiciest apricot dripping over it! SWOON!!!!

In the imp: gritty patchouli

Wet: very juicy, sweet apricot. Mouthwatering.

Dry: Apricot is still juicy and most prominent. Very bright. There is a little patchouli underneath sexing things up.

The apricot is just so true to life it is astounding me. I am generally not in love with fruity scents but this one has me tempted.

Very, very ripe apricot here. It's borderline syrupy, and very strong. I smell the black patchouli, which I'm starting to consistently recognize between scents, but it's surprisingly quiet in the background as an earthy base. This one is nice, but I'm not immediately thinking to myself that I need a bottle. Definitely a must-try for fruit lovers, though.

This was one of my first purchases and was bought solely for the name. In the bottle it smells very peachy and overly-sweet. Once on my skin the peach mellows out considerably. It is still strong but no longer as candylike. It reminds me more of warm peach syrup. I think this is the effect of the patchouli. Normally i consider patchouli to be a turn off but in this blend i can't smell it on its own at all. It becomes a little more present as it dries but the peach stays fairly consistent throughout. I absolutely adore it all the way through. I would say this had a medium throw and was pretty lasting, 2+ hours.

I hate to say this, but sometimes patchouli+fruit blends go kind of... diarrhea on me. This is one of those times. Hard pass.

I was really bummed out when Grand Guignol was discontinued, but now that I've tried Depraved, I think I like it even better. The patchouli cuts the sweetness of the apricot better than the brandy. It's earthier, dirtier, sexier. It's definitely apricot and definitely a pretty dark patchouli, but it's more than the sum of its parts. And it lasts really well. I love it!

Wet: Guhhh. No. Dark patchouli and something astringently-herbal-woody smelling. Not getting any apricot, at all.

Dry: No no no no. Not a scent for me. Waaay too deep and dark smelling for me to enjoy. (As much as I hate to say it, it's borderline nauseating as well.) Where the heck is the apricot?!

Sorry but, ew. This combo makes me think of the sweat note in Sara Pezzini. Plus the patchouli is morphing into the sweaty wood chips again. SO sad. It could have worked if it wasnt so....salty.

Depraved smells like biting into a perfect, golden-pink apricot, so ripe the juice runs down your chin, dropping it in dark, damp soil, and then taking another bite out of it without bothering to clean it off—and something about this scent is so visceral that I almost feel like I can taste it.

It starts off with apricot, bright and sweet and wet, immediately chased by something dark and dirty and wrong—black patchouli, natch. The patchouli wraps itself around the apricot, but doesn’t truly blend with it—they both smell distinct, and I think that contributes to the weirdness of the scent. It’s not a dark apricot or a sweet patchouli scent, but two distinct things that that contrast beautifully together—the brilliant gold of an apricot’s flesh, the rich black of fertile soil.

The drydown is linear and consistent: the patchouli recedes a little, but is still persistently, darkly dirty. It stays a sweet, sunny fruit edged with with dirt all the way to the end.

Fuck, this is the first scent I’ve ever tried with black patchouli, but I already love it. It’s dirty, but in a dark and deeply earthy way rather than the sexual, animalic dirtiness I’m used to from musk and civet. I’ve always been a little bit disappointed by patchouli—it’s lovely in a rough earthy-spicy way when people don’t try to clean it up too much, but it never quite seemed as alarmingly dirty to me as other people described it. This is the patchouli I’ve been hoping for every time someone describes a patchouli you’d hesitate to wear in polite company.

I love it when other people can catch a whiff of my perfume—as long as it’s not aggravating, that’s part of the point, right??—but Depraved is funky enough that I actually keep it hidden away while I’m staying with my partner’s family. Along with Debauchery, it’s one of the few scents I’d actually be nervous wearing around certain people, though that’s not necessarily a bad thing!

In the bottle: hooo boy that’s strong. And sharp. No apricot to be seen. 

Wet: still that. Strong, sharp, spicy patchouli. 

Dry: it’s a little softer, but I still can’t find the apricot. 

Overall not a huge fan (I was really hoping to be!) but I’ll keep it around and give it another shot.