Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Depraved

A salacious, lecherous, leering scent - dirty and dark, slapped with a wet sweetness. Earthy black patchouli swelling with apricot.

Hrm. I'll be honest, I'm not a huge patchouli fan, but I do love apricot!

Hmm..in the imp I pretty much only smell patchouli =/ If you didn't tell me there was apricot in this, I wouldn't have even known. Hopeully it comes out more on my skin.

Harumph, on my skin it's still pretty much just patchouli. There was a tiny moment where I got the apricot, but this is like 99% patchouli...actually goes a bit pencil-shavingsy on me =/

Yeah, I never really got apricot in this and on full drydown it pretty much went straight pencil shavings :( Patchouli just never works as a main note on me.

I just sniffed the imp, and came away with the impression of fruit covered in dirt. As I am not a fruit fan and not a dirty smell fan, I'm not going to bother to test this one.

I didn't think I'd like this one so much! When I opened the imp I tried to decipher the scents without reading its description. My thought was: dirt and something sweet. I wasn't far off. Once I applied it to my skin the patchouli and peach were fighting each other. I think they called it a truce because it's the perfect balance of sweetness and darkness. After a while it smelled even sweeter but there was always something...dirty...lurking. I really need more imps or a bottle of this!

Frimp! I love the apricot note, and this is making me want to try more BPALs with this note. It's lovely and sweet. But I do not like patchouli. At all. It's just not something I want to smell like. It gives this that pure wet dirt smell, like you had dropped a juicy apricot straight into the dirt.

I'm VERY torn on this one. I love the juicy delicious apricot note... But the patchouli is gross. :( But the sweet delicious apricot makes it bearable! But I could probably find another BPAL that smells as sweet, delicious, and juicy minus the patchouli.

Depraved is disturbing: something about the bitterness of the black patchouli fighting with the sickly sweet, overripe fruit smell just puts me right off. It's just not me.

After scrubbing with soap, I could still smell it on my wrists for quite some time...that faint, it was a bit more bearable but really this one just makes me think "ugh."

I was expecting this to be like Ravenous (only with apricot instead of orange blossom), but this scent defintiely uses a different type of patchouli. This one is pure dirt. Not earthy. It is like being in a garden store where you put your hand in a bag of dirt and take out a huge handful to smell! There is definitely apricot here as well. A dirt with a bit of swet fruit.

I definitely prefer Ravenous!! The patchouli here is just too much like dirt for me.

This was a frimp from the Lab, and I was nervous about trying it because patchouli is generally impossible for me to wear.

In the imp -- I gingerly took a sniff and was delighted to smell enough juicy sweet apricot and little enough icky patchouli to want to skin test.

Wet -- more sweet luscious apricot nectar with just a dusting of earthy patchouli.

Drydown -- the patchouli is coming forward but so far just makes the apricot smell natural and earthy. The patchouli smells like freshly-turned earth.

Dry -- I do get the piney pencil shaving note that others have mentioned (no surprise, since I seem to amp this note wherever it presents) but still pleasantly earthy and fruity. It smells like I've been rolling around in the dirt (and maybe some wood chips) while getting drenched in apricot juice, a very sexy smell. If it's "depraved," it's depraved in the sense that sex is only dirty if you're doing it right; it doesn't smell corrupted to me in any way.

I don't see wearing this every day or slathering it on -- this is something to dot on intimate pulse points when I'm feeling sexy in a roll-in-the-dirt sort of way. Can't see needing more than the imp. And do need to find more with this particular patchouli note.

in the bottle: dirt, dry leather, slight patchouli. It morphs, even in the bottle (imp) and on the wand are two different scents. Very difficult to nail down.

On the skin: dirt, dry leaves, loam and leather gently touched with patchouli. Quickly morphing into green wood and deep forest oak, fresh-cut timber.

Dry: Oh, something very dark and eathry has just moved in. I can still smell the patchouli-oak smell, but now it’s gone very, well, Dark. And very earthy. Not just dirt anymore, but deep underground soil and loam and rich earth earthy. And a bit creepy. In a shadowy, Something’s-Watching/Stalking-Me creepy way. Still no hint of the apricot, I think the patchouli killed it it. And buried the body out back in the woods somewhere.

Later: Back to dirt and leather. And Darkness. Patchouli must still be hiding the body of the apricot. This is very, very masculine. Wonder how this would smell on a man? It would be my luck he’d pick up all the fruity notes. :P

But I do like this dark, woody leathery smell. Not enough to buy a whole bottle, but I could make do with another imp of this!

Oh now THIS one I like! As in, I will be slathering this all over tomorrow! It really does remind me of depravity- the darkness of the patchouli with the sweet innocence of the apricot is just an utterly perfect combination! One of the few winners of the scents I've tried lately. How could I have missed this one before?

imp: very right apricot rubbed in dirt. Yep that's a dirty fruit smell.

wet on skin: a sexy spicy patchouli, not too strong. the balance of sweet and spicy is quite lovely.

dry down: these scents intermingle in the most delicious of ways. it becomes spicier and musky as it dries, but there is still a hint of sweet apricot. the juxtoposition of these two scents is wonderful, i couldn't ask anything more from this scent. I just wish it lasted a littler longer.

All in all it's an every day scent for me, and works really wonderfully on my skin. It's sexy and dark and there's something subtly dangerous about it...

Entertaining of asking for a bottle of this for Yule...

I really thought I'd love this one. I adore fruit, and have never had a problem with patchouli. However, this was mostly a really dirty/damp patchouli, with a kind of rotten-decay-sweet from the apricot. I rarely have bad reactions with scents, so I had brought it to school to test. Luckily I was I tried it during my long break. I put it on, and within ten minutes had to run back to the bathroom to smother it with another perfume. I smelled like...something really rotten. Like the person sitting next to you on the bus that hasn't bathed in a few monthes. I usually amp the lighter/spicy aspect of patchouli, so I just think it's the combo what did me in.

Either way, as another reviewer put it: ugh.

This was a lab frimp, and it's...kinda strange. In the imp, a little smoky, dirty apricot sweetness, more like dried than fresh apricot.

Wet: VERY smoky. I know it says patch, but it smelled more like vetiver to me, and there was some sort of cedar thing going on. The fruit amped really sweet, and I liked that part of it, but the clash with the smoky cedar scent was really jarring.

Dry down is when this started to shine. The smoky cedar thing going on went more spicy and resinous. The fruit stayed strong. After about five hours, it was like those jars of spiced apricots. Very nice, but not worth the steps it took to get there for me.

Depraved is disturbing: something about the bitterness of the black patchouli fighting with the sickly sweet, overripe fruit smell just puts me right off. It's just not me.

After scrubbing with soap, I could still smell it on my wrists for quite some time...that faint, it was a bit more bearable but really this one just makes me think "ugh."

I can't get it off either, after scrubbing with dish soap! :eek:

I was told, "Don't fear the patchouli", when I received this as a frimp. And it was a good guess on the frimper's part, as I love apricot/peach/fruity. But I never got any fruit, it's alllll patchouli, all the time. And apparently patchouli doesn't like me. Or I don't like it. Or the feeling is mutual. Because NO. Just...no. Wow.

And as an item of note, this is only one of a handful of BPAL's I've had to go wash off. Or try to wash off. It's STILL HERE!!!! Ack.

On me, patchouli+apricot=yummy evilness. It also has great lasting power. A bottle may be in order.

I always hoped an imp of Depraved would come my way because I'm not a big fan of apricot in perfume but I do like patchouli.

At first, this smelled like overripe peach or apricot. I was pretty sure I'd have to wash it off of my skin because the patchouli and apricot we're not playing nice together. After a few minutes the apricot calmed down and I was able to smell more of the dirty patchouli coming through. Later, it becomes patch with an occasional apricot bursting through.

This scent really captures the idea of something sweet encountering something dirty and lecherous. I'm not sure I'd wear it often--I prefer patchouli with other dark notes a lot more.

Two of my favorite notes together... too good to be true, right? I get earthy, herbal patchouli over apricot. Maybe not too good to be true! The only issue I have with it is that it's quite faint on me. Otherwise, it's perfect.

DEPRAVED

In Vitro Tested blind. Sweet, sharp... was that coffee? I had Miskatonic University in this order, so maybe.

Wet Still sharp, less sweet, almost a leather smell. A few centimeters away from my wrist I detected something more like cedar.

Drying Wood. Not cedar anymore but decidedly wood. I was half convinced that this was the "polished oakwood halls" of Misk U. The scent lasted perhaps two hours, about average for me, and became sweeter as it faded.

I was all bummed out that I didn't get coffee or paper from my supposed Miskatonic University, so when I finally unrolled the label I was both relieved and surprised. Depraved? Dirty, dark patchouli and salacious apricot plus my skin equals wood? I don't even know.

Despite everything I will definitely give Depraved another chance, because it was actually a nice skin scent on me. Besides, patchouli is supposed to age well so maybe it will turn into something less staid.

First Sniff: Something earthy.

Wet: Now there’s that leather note I’ve gotten used to sniffing out.

Dry: As it dried, all I got was the leather. It’s lighter than in other leather scents I have like in Jolly Roger or Tombstone. Once it dried completely I was still only getting a light leather smell.

My Reaction: While the leather is pleasant enough, I already have that in other oils from the lab. After reading the description I had hoped it would evolve into apricot, but I guess patchouli is the leather smell for me. At one point, I thought I caught throw of popcorn-ishness which would be altogether too strange for this one! To the trade pile it goes!

Rating 1-5: 1

Absolutely gorgeous. I was put off ordering this before because I hated the description and usually I find that BPAL does catch the atmosphere very well, but as I got to know scents better, and knew I loved patchouli, I just had to try this - and it is utterly gorgeous on me.

I find it pretty consistent throughout, though this is a new imp and I guess it might change on aging. I get the two main notes, both true to themselves but blended nicely. It's interesting to have patchouli with fruit rather than grass and mossy things which is what I often go for. I love apricot too but not with things like melon or honey, so this is - basically ideal for me :wub2:

I'm just slightly concerned that I love it so much - should I go out and buy a dirty mac now and hang around school corner? :blush:

Absolutely gorgeous. I was put off ordering this before because I hated the description and usually I find that BPAL does catch the atmosphere very well, but as I got to know scents better, and knew I loved patchouli, I just had to try this - and it is utterly gorgeous on me.

I find it pretty consistent throughout, though this is a new imp and I guess it might change on aging. I get the two main notes, both true to themselves but blended nicely. It's interesting to have patchouli with fruit rather than grass and mossy things which is what I often go for. I love apricot too but not with things like melon or honey, so this is - basically ideal for me :wub2:

I'm just slightly concerned that I love it so much - should I go out and buy a dirty mac now and hang around school corner? :blush:

I find it pretty consistent throughout, though this is a new imp and I guess it might change on aging. I get the two main notes, both true to themselves but blended nicely. It's interesting to have patchouli with fruit rather than grass and mossy things which is what I often go for. I love apricot too but not with things like melon or honey, so this is - basically ideal for me :)

I'm just slightly concerned that I love it so much - should I go out and buy a dirty mac now and hang around school corner?

Millions of peaches, peaches for me....

Alotta peach. Its kind of peach potpurri in the vial, but when I put it on, it exploded with a fresh peachyness and then mellowed out to a rounded, almost kinda sweet/swarthy scent.

In all fairness, I am not in any way a patchouli fan...but damn this is pungent and NOT in a good way! I can't even smell the apricot. I know that a lot of people reviewing this scent really liked it, and all I can say is that for me, this has the strength and pleasantness of an industrial cleaner.

Even when I washed it off, the smell remains--so the good news is that if you do like this scent, it should have some wild long lasting power.