Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shriekingviolet

Depraved

Depraved

A salacious, lecherous, leering scent - dirty and dark, slapped with a wet sweetness. Earthy black patchouli swelling with apricot.

This was a freebie from the lab! Thanks!

Preconceived notions: sweet, snarky darkness

In the vial: Yes, very sweet. I don’t like the apricot, but maybe the patchouli will make it behave. Yerevan was okay, but March Hare was ... ugh (for me)

11:30

On me: Ah yes, much better, at least near the wrists. I think (from my other samples) that there’s some red patchouli in here, too. Or at least something really green. I’m not getting “depraved” so much as “bitchy”. This is a scent I’d wear if I needed to knock down doors to get what I wanted. Not in a sexual way, either.

In five minutes: Wafting, the apricot is still very present, but it’s not the overriding scent. Near my wrists, there’s no apricot at all. It’s all wonderful, spicy, yet green patchouli.

In fifteen minutes: The apricot has taken over the wafting scent, and it’s irritating me. My wrists still smell of spicy, green patchouli. I really wish I just had that part, without the apricot.

In half an hour: About the same, but it’s starting to fade.

In forty five minutes: Still no change.

Overall: I think I’m going to stick with straight patchouli. And I think I’ll avoid apricot in the future.

I'm the exact opposite of Dagger, it appears! I love the apricot in this blend. It's sweet, tart, juicy and gorgeous - but the patchouli - is patchouli. If you love patchouli, you'll love this. It's earthy.

This smells very incensy. I don't mean "spicy" or "smoky" or anything else. It smells exactly like a stick of inscense. If that's something that you are looking for, again - you'll adore this one.

I'll be searching out more apricot blends (march hare?) after trying this one!

wow this is very patchouli not getting the apricot much at all, everyonce in a while i get a whiff of it but it is fleeting i wish the apricot was stronger

In the bottle: Sweet dirt. Wierd.

Wet: Dirt. I like the smell of dirt, but not sure if I want to be smelling like an earthworm.

Drydown: The dirt faded to jsut a very subtle note, and the patchouli and apricot balanced out in an unusual way. I'm not a fan of apricots, and patchouli is ok on occasion, but it dried lovely.

Something I'll have to be in the mood for, but I'm definitely keeping this imp & using it up. :P

I like Depraved a lot. It's another of the handful of patchouli blends that I love (I love patchouli but the blends don't always work on me). It's predominantly patchouli, but the apricot gives it a hint of sweetness and tempers the patchouli just enough. A good feminine yet-empowering smell.

Fruit and I, we hate each other. You want to know how much? The apricot - it smelled nothing like apricot. Nope. It morphed into banana - my sworn fruit enemy. There was a juicyness, which I assume was the apricot mocking me. Juicy banana. Bleh.

Oh - and throw? TONS. Scents usually stay very close to me - again - the fruit just taunts me. Begging for a fight. I swear - if any apricot or banana even crosses my path - they better watch out. :P

The description of this scent is dead-on: it's earthy and swollen, all right! :P I don't like patchouli, so I didn't expect much from this giftimp. And, indeed, it smells like patchouli and apricot (in other words, a dirty apricot). It's not to my taste, but if you like patchouli you'll probably love this: it's definitely unique. It has great lasting power, too.

ETA: oh, and the drydown was very sophisticated.

Off to swaps!

Edited by Shollin

This is one of my favorites, definitely in my top 5. The review is well overdue. I have already purchased a 10 ml and received it last night. I am well slathered this morning.

I definitely feel empowered or maybe a better word is bitchy, like mentioned early.

When I opened the bottle all I can say is, "this stinks so good".

This is so well blended and balanced. I really cant separate the apricots and the patchouli. I love the earthy rawness of this scent. I love this scent from the imp to drydown and fours hours later the scent is going strong, I love catching whiffs of it as I work.

I want to try this as a room scent and a solid lotion.

Depraved:

I had a very similar experience to ViolentKitten. Very strongly apricot on application, and within 10 minutes it became a very earthy patchouli (not the stinky hippie patchouli that I've grown to dislike) tinged with apricot at the edges. It's a goreous scent, but not an everyday scent for me.

At first it was very musky, like going up into an old dusty attic. But as its dried down its become sweeter. I was thinking at first that it seemed to be a very nice combination of vanilla and patchouli. One of the most complex scents Ive tried from BPAL so far IMHO.

In Bottle: Pure apricot.

On skin: I only had a drip left in the vile to test it, but I love it. The apricot is still very dominant, but the patchouli gives it some bite… almost earthy… like an apricot that has fallend to the ground. There are more levels to it then other apricot scents I’ve smelled. Not really a fragrance I’d wear, but one I’d love as a room scent or potporri.

The sweetness of the apricot had me hooked, but I am afraid that the patchouli drove me away. I have never been a fan of patchouli, but didn't think to check to see if this blend had any before trying it on. I think I will check out March Hare[*b] next to look for an apricot blend that is more wearable for me.

Oh man, is the patchouli in this one strong. Knock you out at five paces strong. It was too much for me the first time I tried it, and I love patchouli! I didn't get any apricot at all, just patchouli patchouli, and more patchouli.

I waited a couple weeks and tried it again, and it was much calmer. Still super strong patchouli at first, but this time, the apricot eventually wafted out, sweet and mellow. This isn't something I could wear every day, but I like it enough to keep it.

Edited by Thorne

First sniff from the bottle- Fruity dirt.

After 10 minutes- When I first sniffed this it was after I had sniffed about 30 other BPAL oils that dreadeddragon brought over for me to try out. I think my nose had had it for the day but I do remember thinking I really liked this one. No surprise there, I love apricot blends! I don't think I detected the patchouli in this from that first whiff though. I don't usually care for patchouli but this one is pretty good. This one goes on all apricots and then settles into the patchouli after 5 minutes or so.

After 30 minutes- The thing that I hate about patchouli blends is that as they fade they smell like bug spray on me. This one is no exception. After 30 minutes all I smell is Off Mosquito spray.

Summery- I might like this better if I blended it with something else with more fruit in it like Succubus.

First sniff: Whoa. This really does smell like dirty apricots.

Wearing: Depraved is decidedly freaky. I get juicy apricots and think “whee, happy scent,” and then the patchouli creeps up around it and drags it down into the dirt. Patchouli generally works pretty well on me, but this is such a clash I’m not sure I can wear it.

Mmmm, apricot. I love apricot. I wonder if there’s a bit of cedar in this one? Something smells a bit like pencil shavings, and cedar tends to do that on me. I like Depraved in spite of that, though. The apricot is very sweet, like dried apricots, and the patchouli smells like black earth. Fabulous!

In the bottle : Apricot, apricot, apricot... this did have patchouli right?

Wet : Ahhhhh, there it is :P Sweet patchouli with a hint of apricot.

Drydown : Wow - what an amazing balance... the apricot is perfectly ripe, and the patchouli is rich, dark and sooo earthy.

This is really nice, I can feel a big bottle coming on...

When first applied this smells a bit musty, bitter and sharp all at once. I also get that earthy/dirt smell from the patchouli. There's a faint fruitiness too. I couldn't really identify it as specifically apricot though. I also get the mysterious "pencil shavings" note in this one. After a few minutes the fruitiness really developes. After a couple of hours this smells peppery with that pencil shavings note still lingering. This one is not for me.

In the imp: Fruity, with a hint of earth.

On my skin: REALLY, REALLY earthy, with just a whisper of fruit.

I adore patchouli, and this patchouli is no exception, but I was hoping for more of the apricot. And oddly, although patchouli is usually quite lasting on me, my skin seemed to swallow this up in a relatively short time. Not my favourite.

wet, the patchouli was almost overpowering...i could barely smell the apricot. but on drydown, the apricot became stronger and the blend was really nice.

not bad, but there are other patchouli-based scents i like better.

It seems that I am among the minority on this one I'm afraid. I got this as an extra from sagitare (very very kind of her) and I really wanted to like it! Unfortunately though, it clearly does not like me -

In bottle:

GUH. Nasty. Chemical smelling, like wood polish. Just...made me cringe

On me:

I've had several scents now that smelled positively awful to me in the bottle but went on beautifully. I really wanted this to be one of those scents. It wasn't. On me, the apricot note is almost entirely lost, and what is there doesn't smell fresh, or tangy the way I expected. This honestly smells like a musty old cedar drawer, with mothballs and the remanants of a very very old citrus sachet. There is no change in this at all for me, several hours later, this is still what I smell like.

Final note:

This smells positively dreadful on me. And it seems to have serious lasting power to boot lol.

So, okay, you can all hold onto your hats -- I actually like a blend with black patchouli in it! :P I don't mind the red kind, but the black kind always reminds me of a dirty hippie.

In the vial, Depraved is apricot, tinged very lightly with earthy patchouli.

On my skin, it's mostly patchouli, but with enough sweetness from the apricot to keep me from thinking that I rolled around in some hippie's dirty laundry. One whiff will be all patchouli, and the next will be screaming with apricot's fruitiness and sweet warmth.

I like this till it's about 8 hours old, then it's all patchouli all the time -- kind of hippie sweat scent.

So, I'm not sure if I'll be keeping it or not because the sweaty hippie doesn't wanna get off of my skin. :D

Depraved is the first scent I ever loved from bpal. I carried my first imp around with me in my backpack and applied sparingly as I wandered around my high school. It finally broke in the bottom of my backpack and my books & everything smelled awesome, lol. It's a nostalgic scent for me now. The description says patchouli and apricot, but it always reminds me of leather and blueberries. The patch in this is very dark, cool and sexy. I thankfully have a couple bottles of this hoarded from before about 2008. After that, the patchouli in this started to smell different to me (more ashy, dirty and gritty) and the fruit note used is more sour & bright and less sweet & dark. It must have been reformulated with different notes, which is sad, because I haven't liked any variation of Depraved in the past four years or so. My old original bottles from 2005-2008 are awesome, though.

Edited by Little Bird