Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Scanmike

Oils making my skin dry, help!

I have noticed that where I apply the oils (neck, by ears, cleavage, wrist) the skin is very dry. Some of the oils make me itch, mainly the aquatic ones, so I avoid them. Does anyone else get dry skin from the oils?

Would you suggest mixing the oils with odorless moisturizer?

Thanks,

Denise

I have noticed that where I apply the oils (neck, by ears, cleavage, wrist) the skin is very dry. Some of the oils make me itch, mainly the aquatic ones, so I avoid them. Does anyone else get dry skin from the oils?

Thanks,

Denise

There is a thread here about mixing BPAL in lotions and other things. I hope that helps!

My skin gets dry when I wash it too much between testing scents :P I want to find a way to make a nice semi-solid oil mix to put BPAL in (like Palmers Coco Butter) so maybe I will hit that thread too :D

Thanks,

Denise

Are you sure you're not having an allergic reaction to something in the scents? That said, some oils do have the ability to dry out skin.

Check in a well lit mirror:

Is the change in your skin purely dry skin (xerosis)? Is it just peeling, a little rough looking, but without redness?

Or... is there a well-marked, associated area of redness, or 'stinging/smarting' at the site, followed by the flaking of skin?

In the second case, that could be early irritant contact dermatitis / allergic contact dermatitis starting. Do a small patch test of the oil on different areas of your skin, in an inconspicuous place. If it starts looking like the other spots, you may be sensitive to an ingredient in the oils and I'd use caution when applying.

Now you got me worried!

It doesn't look red, just rough areas. I know that when I tried Sea Glass, my skin itched like crazy and I scratched it so much that it was raw. Then when I applied an oil after that it stung. I know, it's stupid, but when you are addicted you do stupid things.

So now I avoid those aquatics or any oil that itches. So far I am safe with the ones I own like Snake Oil, Snake Charmer, Dan O Shee, Antique Lace, Morocco, Chry. Moon (seems okay so far), Gingerbread Poppet, Smut, Boomslang and Scherezade (have to retry to make sure) . I think it's the flower blends, except Chrys. Moon for some reason. Moon Rose also made me itch. I am applying alot of oil and maybe stay away from the oils until it clears, then try again with more caution.

Well, if it becomes bad...there will be alot of good BPAL up for sale!!!!!!!!!!!

Are you putting oils on directly after a bath or shower? Sometimes your pores will be more open then and will absorb more of the oil (and unfortunately, anything in them that might be irritating you). I would suggest slathering a nice unscented lotion on after bath, especially to those areas. A lotion like Cetaphil or DML (stands for dermatological lotion I think) would be a good choice.

I have psoriasis and have suffered from contact dermatitis more times than I can to count.

With the exception of some blends containing cinnamon or cassia, I haven't had any problems with BPAL blends.

I hope that you are able to figure out the culprits. Sometimes something as simple as changing laundry detergent or wearing a new garment without washing it first can throw sensitive skin into a tailspin.

Now you got me worried!

It doesn't look red, just rough areas. I know that when I tried Sea Glass, my skin itched like crazy and I scratched it so much that it was raw. Then when I applied an oil after that it stung. I know, it's stupid, but when you are addicted you do stupid things.

So now I avoid those aquatics or any oil that itches. So far I am safe with the ones I own like Snake Oil, Snake Charmer, Dan O Shee, Antique Lace, Morocco, Chry. Moon (seems okay so far), Gingerbread Poppet, Smut, Boomslang and Scherezade (have to retry to make sure) . I think it's the flower blends, except Chrys. Moon for some reason. Moon Rose also made me itch. I am applying alot of oil and maybe stay away from the oils until it clears, then try again with more caution.

Well, if it becomes bad...there will be alot of good BPAL up for sale!!!!!!!!!!!

If there are scents you really love but find you can't wear on your skin, you can always try them in your hair or in a scent locket, as well. :P

I have Cetaphil. I will use it and hopefully there won't be a problem

Now you got me worried!

If there are scents you really love but find you can't wear on your skin, you can always try them in your hair or in a scent locket, as well. :P

Now you got me worried!

There was another thread about skin irritation, and one person said not to apply right out of the shower, especially with the cinnamon ones (and others that are known for irritation.) Could help?

I bought some grapeseed oil (I think...) to dilute Inferno in, because it raised a blister behind my ear. Which made me super sad, because it smelled so good. I haven't tried it yet, but I've been meaning to.

I tested Pepper yesterday, right out of the shower (about 15 minutes, I'd say), and I got a red itchy line where I'd applied it. But when I reapplied it later, at lunch, it was fine. So I decided it was the open pores from showering thing.

oh yeah :P for me it is aswell most def. problematic when I apply oils right after a shower..

it will burn, get my skin red and offcorse there is less scent cause my skin will eat it all

so.. I never do that anymore after doing it more then twice :D

and also cinnamon scents can be to much for me

a neutral lotion (Ennui from Villainess will do just fine) and half an hour later I'll apply my oil of choice

Sign in to follow this