Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
Sarah

Daiyu

Moroccan jasmine, chrysanthemum, tea leaf, white musk, and acai berry.

In the Imp
A delightful floral berry blend!

On My Skin
The way these notes blend together is incredible. I can pick out the chrysanthemum, tea, and berry smell. It’s very light and crisp smelling. So far I really like it.

After a Bit
This is a great bright smelling blend. The berry is dominant but doesn’t overwhelm the other notes. This would be a great spring time blend.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)
Scent - 4 Throw - 3 Longevity – 4
Overall (not an average) – 3.7

Final thoughts
I may have to see if I can pick up a bottle of this! Pretty good.

Edited to insert scent description. Edited by Saya

In the bottle: Sweet and tart berries! A thread of calm tea leaf underneath.

Wet: Same as in the bottle, but with an absolutely delicious floral note- chrysanthemum. White musk adds to the deliciousness. I get pretty much every note but the jasmine. After a bit, the acai berry loses it's wonderful tartness and goes very candy-sweet.

Dry: Tea and berry candy. :cry2: Too sugary-sweet for me.

When I wear this, all I can see is two little acai berries, sharing a cigarette in a rumpled bed. It's a perfect balance of berry and musk, and not only do I feel confident and sexy when I wear it, I get a ton of compliments!

Imp: Acai berry and chysanthemum.

Wet: Very bright and tart acai berry. Touch of jasmine and musk.

Dry: The acai berry is still the dominant scent lingering over a musk jasmine and chrysanthemum. I get a bit of the tea astringency keeping this bright and tart and preventing it from becoming a little too languid or floral. The tea is a great conduit between the sharp acai and the softer, more voluptuous florals. The musk is just... sexy.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: I like Daiyu. However, I like a lot of other scents that fall into this sort of floral/fruity spectrum and I don't really find her unique enough to worry about a bottle. It's a very lovely, sensual sort of scent and although it seems very classically feminine I'd be interested to smell this on a man's chemistry. Don't know why, just want to. The chrystanthemum in this is wonderful.

Well hi there acai berry! Similar to Australian copperhead or maybe Coral snake on me, whichever had the acai berry note in it. Very pretty - fresh and light, floral and fruit. Not a keeper on me, sadly.

On me this is straight tea leaf, acai berry, and white musk. Its absolutely gorgeous for a light floral type!

Imp: Heavy on the acai berry.

Wet: Acai dominates, but there's hint of very light florals behind it.

Drydown: Clings very close to the skin. The flowers are very soft and I'm not really getting any musk or tea from it. Acai's show, start to finish.

Overall: It's a really nice scent, but sadly it doesn't do anything for me that Australian Copperhead doesn't already cover. That said, if you found AC to be a bit to spicy to make the berry worth it, definitely give Daiyu a try. It's basically a soft and fluffy version of the spicy sexy Copperhead

For some odd reason this smells like apple in both the bottle and on me O_o

It's quite lovely though. When it dries it's sweet, mild, and has a nice dry down of flowers and musk.

In the bottle: Berry-infused tea!

Wet: A beeeaauuuttifullll tea note mixed with red berries. Yup! Still berry-infused tea on my skin.

Dry: As this dries I pick up a bit more of the musk note, it's faint...the berry and tea are still dominant on my skin. I'm not detecting ANY jasmine at all. Jasmine usually smells like stinky old diapers on me but this is absolutely gorgeous. As Daiyu settles into my skin even more my skin starts to amp the sweet acai berry and I'm detecting the faintest whiff of crysanthemum.

Overall: I'm SO glad I was able to try this blend, this is probably the first perfume with jasmine in it I can actually wear (and very well I might add). Overall this perfume smells mostly of tea to me, it's something I can see myself wearing every day. Daiyu is light and stays close to the body (it would probably make a great office scent). I love the way this makes me smell. If you're afriad of jasmine, I urge you to give this one a chance! :)

Sweet sweet berries …I’m in berry heaven.

Berry and tea leaf are the 2 main notes in this scent on me :wub3:

Youthful, clean, fun and flirty.

This makes me want to get up and dance. Preferably to something fun like RHPS, Jump or anything 80’s related.

Edited by Lilly

I really like this scent! To me, for some reason, acai smells like plum, or maybe like raspberry. It didn't smell nearly so nice in Australian Copperhead as it does in this one, though. Basically all the notes in Daiyu are win on me: I get primarily fruit out of it, with some tea (green or white tea?), and a little floral and musk, too.

It DOES kinda smell like Kitsune-Tsuki meets Dorian, actually! But really it's like drinking fruity iced tea in a beautiful shaded garden, with lots of flowers. It's a very fresh, very feminine scent, sort of cool and refreshing, and it's gonna be getting a LOT of play from me this spring and summer.

Daiyu is a light, sweet, vanilla-like scent that is just so-so on me. I think I go for something that makes a prominent statement. This is a more gentle, background scent.

This is in-your-face floral while in the imp, but on skin it very quickly dries to a sweet berry. Like, a really, really sweet berry, and a bit too rich for me. I want to like it – love the name, but this is closer to the wilting-flower Daiyu of Red Chambers than the badass Grindhouse lady I was hoping for.

Edited by heywilma

While doing my recent CD circle I clumsily splashed perfume onto my desk and I mopped it up with a cotton square and plopped it by my computer monitor. It was late at night so I didn't lock in what scent it was and promptly forgot about the cotton.

A few days later I picked it up and sniffed and OH MY!! What is this heavenly clean/soft/snuggly/creamy/vanilla-ish/almost foody-but-not scent??? >.<

I still had the bottles so I opened and sniffed and not a single one smelled like my cotton square!!! Was I delirious? Where was this OMG scent?? Grrrr... obviously this was one of those morphers. I would have to test all 8 bottles. So off I went.

Well it's Daiyu. I was amazed to realize this. In the bottle and for the first 30 or so minutes on my skin I definitely smell the acai berry, that fruity almost apple-y scent. At this stage the scent is alright... but not bottle worthy. Then the acai berry leaves and I'm left with this gorgeous soft SNUGGLY warm musk, I get a faint impression of the jasmine, it adds a slight floral sweetness to the blend but to my nose doesn't overpower it. When I put this on I can't help but think that I'm wrapping myself in a fuzzy cuddly blanket of scent. I definitely get the comparison to Dorian as it has that smooth creamy soft feel, but I think this is better than Dorian. It has just a bit more oomph.

This is one of the scents I didn't really care to try but decided to decant and obviously I'm glad I did! It dries down to something I would never have expected to love. BPAL constantly amazes me and reminds me to keep an open mind to all of their blends, cause one can never know without trying them! This definitely takes a spot as one of my top 5 BPAL blends! :D

Oh, lovely! This starts out as a berry that's almost grape, mixed with a sweetness that's almost like honey but not quite. On the drydown, it's sweet and slightly powdery and a bit fruity. Really, really nice. Might need a bottle before these ladies go away.

There was just a whiff of vinegar in the bottle....weird. Wet on my skin it was very fruity and once it started to dry down in smelled like berry tea. Once it dried down it kind of just disappeared.

Hello acai berry, you can go away now. Seriously, you're smelling like stale sweettarts now. Oh, you're insisting on staying, despite knowing how much I love jasmine and chrysanthemum? Well then you're getting scrubbed and swapped. >_>

In bottle: yep, very berry alright. I was kind of hoping for a lightly berry scent, but oh well! There's also a touch of tea and flowers.

Wet on skin: berry, musk, and tea. The berry-ness is almost like juice, high and sweet. As it dries, the flowers come out more, the jasmine a bit more prominent. Soft, almost creamy. Very pretty!

Dry: amazingly, this isn't as predominantly berry on me now as it was in the bottle and wet. *fishes it out of the for-sale box where she had prematurely put it in after testing* I suppose my skin ate up all the acai berry and left most of the rest behind? Now, it's a very soft floral and tea, with a bit of musk--and this is pretty, and right up my alley. If i sniff really hard, I can still get a touch of the berry, but otherwise it's quite disappeared.

Verdict: I really do like the dry stage on this one, it's my kind of scent. However, considering there is a huge difference between the wet smell and the dry smell, I'd probably be better off not gambling on my skin chemistry forever and ever not changing. Pass.

Imp: A sharp, fruity musk and something that smells almost like... dishwater? Sour milk? Just the slightest twinge of something unpleasant in there. I wonder what in the world that could be, as these notes are usually okay on me.

Wet: Oh! Okay. The dishwater immediately smooths out to a nice soap instead. It's a floral, musky, fruity soap with a beautiful white tea component, but it's soap nonetheless.

Dry: The same, a lovely floral soap. Pretty, but not for me.

I've been looking for something piratical for ages, but aquatic blends very rarely work on me. Come take me prisoner, Daiyu!

In the bottle: Sweet, almost like sugar cane and jasmine. There's a juicy brightness from the Acai berry. Overall it feels very Asian.

First impressions: Mm. Very sweet and floral with the berry note fading fairly quickly. There's something a little soapily astringent here too; probably the tea.

Later: A couple of minutes in, wow this is a morpher! This quickly becomes an elegant, sexy floral with a creamy, luxurious undertone.

Final thoughts: This is surprisingly conservative - not the bold, attention grabbing scent one might expect from the artwork and concept. It's gorgeous though! A definite keeper, and when the Carnaval opens its doors once more I will be sat in the front row for Miss Daiyu's turn on the stage.

If you like this, try: Brides of Dracula

My first impression of this in the bottle was that it was sharp and spiced? Maybe that was the chrysanthemum. On my skin, it turned floral, but not particularly jasmine-y, and a powdery note crept in. This didn't morph very much on me, and I ended with a sharp, powdery floral musk. This was not at all sweet, and I did not get any sort of berry note from it.

Question please: Tangental to the actual scent, is this perfume inspired at all by the Chinese classic novel "Dream of the Red Chamber" and it's heroine (one of them) Lin Daiyu?  I am not familiar with the scent but a longtime fan of the novel, in it's translation by David Hawkes. It is a novel of the downfall of a noble family during the Qing Dynasty, the romance of Lin Daiyu, Bao Yu and Bao Chai. The Qing Dynasty tale is framed by a supernatural story of one of the stones of Heaven, and his tender care of the fairy Crimson Pearl Flower.