Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht

Amber, cream accord, white honey, apple blossom, skin musk, caramel, and teak.

As I initially apply this oil, the apple blossom fights with the warmer, sweeter notes for prominence (apple blossom has been a problem for me before). There's a rich, foody character to this scent that has me looking around for something to eat…

Over time, it smells caramelly, and rather too richly foody for my taste. I'm not getting the amber in here at all… And then it goes really weird--it turns into a funky scent layered over the caramel...

I suspect this is just a matter of notes not working together correctly on my skin; since I've had issues with apple blossom and caramel before, and I'm starting to have some suspicions about teak and my skin chemistry… I think this was just not meant to be.

Recaplet: Funky, sweaty caramel. Nah, not so much.
My rating: 2 of 5 (Meh.)
Color impression: Caramel brown.

Imp: Caramel, apple blossom, and amber

Wet: Apple blossom, teak, honey

Drydown: Sweet..kinda warm from the caramel. I can tell the apple blossom is in there somewhere.

Overall: I'm pretty ambivalent on this one. Yeah it's got some notes that I normally love, but something about them all working together is just...I dunno. Underwhelming, I guess. No throw, no hook...just something caramel-ish and amber-y. Meh.

As per usual, I really wish I got more cream from this blend. The apple blossom is STRONG and a bit bitter, but...I'm nitpicking here because this is good, and it's hard to come up with solid critique. Overall, this is a scrumptious blend of seriously sexy caramel and apple blossoms with the heated skin musk of a glowing goddess. Hot!

In the bottle and wet on my skin: Apple and caramel! ohmygod! nggghhh....... *drool* (I shouldn't have tried this while I was hungry)

drying: The throw is creamy teak, but if I get up close to my wrist and sniff it's juicy caramel apple... (weirdly enough I smell apples, not apple blossom.)

dry: pretty much the same but with honey now... :yum: Apples, caramel, creamy teak and honey.

this is amazing! why have I not tried this before now!?! *runs off to order 2897646284 bottles*

It's becoming apparent that I cannot wear it, and should avoid anything with the word caramel in it.

It's not so much caramel, as curry, fainter than others, like you ate a ton of maple syrup and a large curry, and then the smell of your sweat the day after.

I'm not having much luck with these Carnaval women...

I got this as part of my christmas BPAL loot this past year and I was immediately in love upon first sniffage.

I love anything with skin musk and that is what amps on me when I wear this. My Husband says it smells like lust to him, HA!

In th bottle it's creamy amber honey with an edge of apple blossom and then on my skin its the skin musk, also what I am guessing might be the teak, and the cream. I dont really get caramel out of this at all.

I wore this to Vermonts very first goth-festish ball in March and got many compliments all night.

The Argrat is a winner for me and I will have to get another backup bottle soon.

In the bottle: Caramel apple! It's a perfect, crisp and juicy apple note, just slightly floral, paired with the combination of caramel and cream accord, which smells like luscious caramel. Otherwise, this one is a bit difficult to pick apart at first—very smooth and well blended. It smells somehow both delicate and sexy, not to mention delicious.

On, wet: Apple musk. Sweet, sexy apple musk and honey—but a light honey, not the heavy, thick honey of Jezebel. The caramel is less overt now, just adding some richness, and the amber is beginning to warm up. The teak is barely detectable right now, but it's a nice, stable base for the fragrance. This is just sweet, golden, apple-y goodness!

On, dry: Creamy, honeyed apples. The honey is just right; it really enhances the floral character of the apple note, and it's surprisingly light and beautiful. The amber adds a touch of warmth, the caramel is very subtle but rich, and the teak just adds some darkness and weight—really nice balance with some of the lighter notes, and amazingly smooth. The skin musk just adds some glow and sexiness. This is relatively close to the skin (because of skin musk), but I'm still getting surprisingly good throw on it. Very, very nice, and not really all that foody now.

Later: Skin musk, teak and amber, with a whisper of honey and apple. Warm and very sensual, more woody-sweet. It's a skin scent now, and… uh. Yeah, did I mention the sexy? Because it's sexy.

Overall: This is so warm and pretty and sweet and yet naughty! :wub2: Honey plus skin musk is always instant win for me, but everything else blends together so seamlessly here; even with all the strong elements, none of them dominates the others. There's creaminess, woodiness, muskiness, fruitiness, sweetness that somehow manages not to be total foodyness, and great balance between light elements (apple blossom, white honey, cream) and dark elements (caramel, teak) that makes the whole thing sing. The teak is especially fantastic, because it's just mellow and deep and smooth, not at all dry or sharp. This one may require multiple backup bottles before the Carnaval packs up.

This has been on my wishlist forever, and I finally took the plunge and got a bottle before the CD went away. I'm so glad I did. This is sooo gorgeous-to me, this is grown up sexy caramel. The caramel note reminds me a bit of MVJBA: Spring Training, but not all sugary and butter and in your face. This is all growed up. Sexy rich caramel, whiffs of apple blossom, all sensual and creamy and so well blended! Do not regret this purchase one bit! :wub2:

I had been really looking forward to trying this Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht, and received a decant from a kind forum-ite - I had almost ordered it unsniffed just based on the notes. I thought it would be wonderful and perfect.....

FAIL

It smells like sweat. Old, unwashed, unhygenic human. That is the only way I can describe it with my chemistry. I guess if you take into consideration that Agrat lives at the Carnivale, travels around a lot, lives in a caravan and doesn't have much access to clean water or indoor plumbing, then it is absolutely the way she would smell.

Excuse me, I have to go wash my hand now. With Dawn. :rasp:

Sooooo glad I tried a decant of this before I ordered a whole bottle!

I first bought this because, when I sniffed the bottle at willcall, I smelled head-clubbing sweetness & no nausea. This has aged some months since then & I'm trying it as if for the first time.

In the bottle: mmm, apple blossom & a bit of caramel. Aging definitely get rid of the "head clubbing" potency

Wet: see above, then add amber to the lot. and a whiff of honey? and skin?! and what is that??

Dry: The skin & cream are coming out now. The apple blossom is still there, and the amber fades in & out, just playing at my nose. The caramel seems to have died out. The mystery note has swollen to be the atmosphere here (is this what teak should smell like?)

Aftermath: About 1/2 hour in, I was alternating between wanting to chew my tasty smelling wrist and sniffing delicately while giggling like a little girl (feeling very "eyelet white dress"). There's a giddiness that comes with this fragrance that makes me smile.

On my skin, this smells like a lighter version of Samhain 2007. It's light and sweet, all fresh apples and sweet, delicate honey with a musky undertone. It has a grown-up, sexy lady feel to it. It's not at all cloying, and wears quite close to the skin. Very much a more youthful, feminine version of Samhain.

I'm a fan :)

In the imp: Caramel

Wet: Caramel

Dry: Caramel

I'm not sure if it's my skin amping caramel or my nose being inept at picking up the other notes, but I am definitely not a fan. Not what I was looking for in a blend at all and I am so glad that I didn't order this unsniffed, as I was tempted to.

This is a really nutty, sugary caramel with a woodsy, slightly apple-tinged background. I was hoping for some more prominence from the lighter notes (skin musk, cream), but I think Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht is too busy being all darkly foody to acknowledge them.

Very little apple, but it's a sheer, sharp green apple to me. Still mostly caramel and wood on the drydown (hints of maple? and tobacco?)... it's a bold, autumnal scent, but overall not so different from some other caramel blends I have.

I like her, but a bottle is optional, I think.

THis has all the notes in it to be my PERFECT scent..except the caramel. I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I'm glad I did but it just didn't work on me. When first applied the caramel overwhelms me and it's not a scent I adore in the first place. After awhile the caramel calms down a bit and I get incense-y caramel with a bit of teak. Still :rantrave: .

After about 7 hours though it's this perfect skin scent that is warm, sensual and very much NOM worthy. I just can't wait 7 hours for that to happen. :cry2:

In the bottle I get a very carmel-y cream scent.

On the skin... more of the same.

I was a little disappointed that this didn't turn out so complex on me. I was hoping for less foody and for more of the florals to come out.

It is however, a very nice scent and something I'd definitely recommend for foody loving people.

it's ironic how i love caramel and yet the caramel in this blend was strangely not that prominent on me. :eek:

in the imp:

the caramel is definitely more prominent in the imp than it is on me. aside from the caramel, i'm getting whiffs of apple. smells unexpectedly foody, but i like!

on my skin:

i was goon enough to be distracted so i missed the wet stage. however, the apple is much stronger now that it is on my skin, and when i exhale, i'm getting a tinge of an amber that is very very pretty. i don't know what it is about my nose, but this blend isn't that prominent on me. i can't really get a good sniff of it unless i press my nose reaally close to my wrist. hmm.

still, there is something... oddly comforting about this scent. i know it's agrat-bat-mahlaht and it's supposed to be Da Sex and all that. i'm starting to get skin musk now, which is new to me, but not unpleasant. yet there are also moments where it borders on smelling like this really good toilet freshener that i got acquainted with the other day. i mean, it smelt good, but still. at other times though, it smells really lovely and there was a point where i actually toyed with the idea of it being one of the first non-rose scents that i have on my potential big bottle list.

verdict:

it's so strange, but i can't decide if i like this blend or not. i think i either hate it or love it... i just can't decide which. i'll probably have to give this another run another day just to make sure, but i'm definitely keeping my imp.

This is very very very very very very VERY sweet on me. I mostly get creamy apple blossoms and caramel, with maybe the tiniest hint of musk. For a while, it smelled almost boozy, which was a little odd. I think I just associate some of the super-sweet caramel scents with boozy notes? Anyway, Agrat-bat-mahlaht is quite pretty and I love the apple blossom note in it, but right now I think it's a little too sweet for me to wear. I'm going to see if aging cuts the sweetness some. She seems like she would work beautifully when layered, so I'll try that too.

I think the caramel is where this one goes wrong. It smells like cheap candles, very very very sweet. There are no words for how sad I am about this. Did the same thing both tries, so this imp is off to sell or swap!

In decant: very sweet honey

Wet: rich honey with some amber and a touch of musk

Drydown: Gorgeous honey scent, some spiciness and musk

Later: Has stayed true on my skin. Honey scent, slightly nutty feeling to it? Must be the caramel. Really nice, might get bottle.

I'd been scared off by the caramel in this, but I got a lovely little tester-imp in a swap!

On fresh, it's a sharp herbal scent that's almost like caraway or fennel bulb. There's definitely honey and apple blossom (which is lovely on me! I'll have to remember that...). As it dries down, the sharp scent reveals itself to be caramel, of all things. It's not going all overpowering and sweet (Red Lantern was *scary*), but instead seems to be that sour, sharp, almost burnt part of caramel without the sugar. But not in a bad way; just unusual. This still is a little odd and herbal for my taste, but I'm very glad I got the chance to try it.

Creamy with apples. A lot of folks are saying caramel but it's not going that way for me...it's more creamy like a dulce de leche or something closer to that. That is the main scent with a little of the fruitiness underneath to give it a fresher breath. Seemed to have a good throw and last for a while, but the creaminess was a little to heavy for me and I'm into foodie scents.

I would wear the imp again but wouldn't get a bottle.

(husband just smelled it and said it smells like pancakes and maple syrup. I can see the syrup bit.)

Mmm... caramel and amber and cream. I don't get any of the apple blossom out of this for some reason, and only a hint of teak, but it's really yummy. It is, admittedly, kind of foodie, but it's also kind of sexy, which is a really interesting combination of scents. It might be the perfect thing to wear when you're feeling a little naughty or looking for trouble. :)

In the Bottle: Reminds me of Drink me. Foody.

Wet: Unlike Drink me, doesn't turn into musky vanilla. A warmer smell, like the honey vanilla in O. But sweeter, probably from the caramel.

Dry: Something perfumey comes through. A floral, possibly.

Overall: You know, I was not expecting to like this as much as I do! I love O and I love the first stages of Drink me! And this is the 2 combined! Doesn't last as long as O, but I would still wear it and reapply.

Mmm. Creamy honey and skin musk. An LE version on Sed Non Satiata, or Bengal without the spice.