Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht

Amber, cream accord, white honey, apple blossom, skin musk, caramel, and teak.

Agrat-bat-Mahlat is, right out of the bottle, honeyed apple blossom. Which pretty much just smells like floral apples to me (this is a good thing, I love apple). It is, unfortunately, the honey that sometimes goes horribly horribly wrong on me. However, let’s try it anyway!

On my skin, the apple blossom blooms beautifully (yay alliteration!) and then almost immediately backs off, letting the skin musk, honey and caramel show up. Ooooh, this is pretty.

So what I am getting from this scent is a little bit of apple blossom, with lots of the ambery, honeyed, caramal-creamy goodness. My fiancé? Says “pipe tobacco.” PIPE TOBACCO? :\

I am starting to realize that we have very different ideas of what smells good on me, haha. I really like this one, and I guess if I concentrate hard enough I can see what he means, but I’ll probably end up wearing this when he’s not around. :P This one reminds me a lot of a more warm, golden-musky Eve. Edited by Christine Daae

Wet, this smells very very sweet. It has a very caramel smell, and I don't really smell the apple in this. It pretty much stays the same on me throughout the wet stage to the dry down. It's sweet, comforting and very playful. I could picture myself wearing this on fun together -- something not to be taken too seriously. I would probably love to own a full bottle of this since this fits my usual perfume profile. It's very heavy on the cream and caramel smell. It's thick and warm and gooey. One my favorite CDs!

In the bottle: Warm, smooth, and golden brown. The only note that I can pick out is the caramel.

On me: Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht is an perfect olfactory capture of its illustration—something that I didn't expect from the notes. It's creamy smooth, rich brown gilded with gold, sexual and sweetened, and distinctly feminine. (The only aspect of the illustration that I don't perceive in the scent are the ruby jewels.) Caramel, deep and sweet, is the heart of the scent, but the amber, cream, and teak make it richer, firmer, and somewhat less foody. The apple blossom a strong floral (and not foody)—don't necessarily let that scare you away if you avoid florals, because it's not predominant; however, it does make the scent distinctly feminine. The skin musk isn't discernible, but it may be what gives the blend its a sensual, bodily aspects. This is rich and deep, seductive, a little dark, a bit sweet and a bit floral, and it forms an aura of scent around the wearer which is dense but not cloying.

Verdict: I expected something lighter and creamier from the notes, but Agrat has all the richness and darkness of the illustration and a strong floral aspect that I didn't expect. It took a while to see beyond those expectations, but Agrat is beautiful, evocative, and sensual, the scent of feminine power, dark beauty, and comfort in ones own glorious skin. It's also aging beautifully—when I first got it the blend felt raw and a bit floral-heavy; five months later it's smoother and the apple blossom is playing better with the notes. This isn't my favorite scent and the caramel is too much rich brown for my daily use, but it is a keeper and I look forward to seeing how it continues to age.

Edited by Juushika

Wet, it's mostly caramel, though as it dries the teak comes peeking out to give it a nice spicy, woody edge. I like it, but it's too much like Creepy for me to justify buying a bottle.

Bottle: Whoa. Amber and honey, I think? Aggressively warm and sweet.

Wet: Spicy, weirdly.

Dry: OM NOM NOM it's like Sugar-Slathered Candy Apple's big sister, who is all tarted up and ready to kick ass and take names. I think I need a backup, if only because this is one of the few scents where honey does not go Evil on me.

Ugh. I wanted to get some caramel out of those, but it's honey, amber with a dominant waft of apple blossoms. This comes out smelling more floral on me than foody. :P

Based on this and Boomslang, i am guessing i really like the teak note. This is a little different than the other scents i have. It is not as foodie, which is good for variety.

The Amber and the apple blossom really shine about equal in this. The caramel is played down a bit. My skin doesn't morph it at all. Very nice scent, nothing sharp or odd.

In the bottle: Any BPAL with sugar/honey/anything foody smells like plastic to me at first sniff, and this is no exception...plastic butterscotch. But I have learned quickly to press on.

Wet on skin: No more plastic butterscotch, just rich, warm caramel and tart apple (more fruity than blossom-y at this point). No sign of teak yet, which surprises me since I usually amp any wood notes. The musk must be in the background, blending and deepening the caramel and apple notes.

Dry on skin: I could say quite a bit here about what this blend does to my skin, but the Reader's Digest version is: :D :D :D

The teak never does appear, but this dries down beautifully. The caramel backs down a tad, the apple fruit morphs into apple blossom, the honey shows up shimmering and singing...on my skin it's sensual without being inyerface sexaaay, sweet but not cloying, rich without being heavy...

Okay, that's enough newbie hyperbole. :P I love this Grindhouse Lady.

In the bottle: Honey, apple blossom and caramel jump out...It kind of reminds me of a caramel apple, but...more...incense like. If that makes sense. If you keep smelling this, it's a big creamy incensey caramel apple.

Wet on the skin: Very creamy caramel....the warm glow of amber underneath..the apple blossom lingering in the background. This is SO pretty, and different for me..but I like it so far!

Dry down: An indescribable mixture of all the notes, and when the teak stars to come out, it makes this sweet scent take a darker turn that's amazingly complex and pretty..and I actually had people commenting that they could smell incense when I walked by them. I didn't know if I would like where this scent was headed, because it IS so different from what I normally wear. But I will admit that I'm a fan, and I will be keeping this bottle.

Edited by BrightRedScream

On me, Agrat is mostly caramel with a touch of teak. Apple blossom also makes an appearance but she's a little shy and sneaks away after a short while. Very nice!

*falls over*

This is one hell of a heady, sexy, sassy perfume!

Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht is so my kind of smell: a creamy drunken apple-honey-caramel scent. The musk, amber and teak give it a bite and something else... how to describe it... it's just. Evil-sexy. Evil-foodie. This perfume thrills me.

On far drydown, the teak takes centre stage and also the overall scent gets kind of bitter and sharp smelling, but before that, it's just fabulous.

Edit: Unfortunately, my boyfriend had a strong and immediate hate/nausea reaction to this scent, so I think I'll stick with my imp, but not order a bottle. (I know how it feels to hate a cologne or perfume but be forced to smell it all the time... like in high school, when guys would wear CK Escape, which meant I was often in a sea of nausea and revulsion).

Edited by obsidienne

In Imp/bottle: It smells like spikecake batter, which was one of my favorites when I was a kid.

Wet on Skin: The spice in here taking the lead and I am not quite sure I like that. Maybe thats the caramel, but not the chewy candy kind. As time goes on this seems to get sharper and the muskiness appears. Even later, it smells like burnt caramel on me.

Dry: Burnt caramel and teak.

Overall: Had such wonderful potential and I wanted to like it, but this is not for me. Darn you skin chemistry! :P

2.5/5

In the Imp

This smells like a creamy version of a caramel apple.

On My Skin

Wow, the caramel is pretty strong in this blend, it’s drowning out all of the other notes.

After a Bit

I must be amping caramel because that’s all I’m getting from this.

Rating 1-5

Scent - 2 Throw - 3 Longevity – 3

Overall (not an average) – 2.3

Final thoughts

I wish the other notes would have come out a bit more on this, all I got was caramel which isn’t exactly something I want to smell like all day. I’ll keep the imp but won’t be getting a bottle.

Sigh.. I really really liked this blend, but something about caramel on my skin causes my boyfriend to feel very ill whenever he smells it. I can't agree enough with the previous reviewer who said it smells like a creamy caramel apple, that was exactly the scent I got while wearing this. It was fresh and light, with just a bit of foody tint to it thanks to the caramel.

bottle: sweet, caramely teak.

wet: this is creepy (with less rum), glowing vulva at rygoku bridge and sugar-slathered candied apple all rolled into one. very sexy.

dry: the caramel fades as this dries making it more sweet appley teak than anything else. this is so sweet and sexy. very glad to have a bottle.

Goes on as boozy caramel apple and a hint of clean, but sweaty skin. There’s definitely musk in this. I’m catching some of the honey, too, and it is sweeter and lighter than the usual honey note I've tested, less warm and golden, more cool and sweet. There’s a sexuality to this, one that’s less sensual and more vicious, like the bottle illustration. It’s like innocence (the fresh apple) corrupted (the musk and teak). I’m not certain I really like it at first, as I don't think the notes are really blending, and there might actually be a bit of a clash going on here and there, but it’s fascinating and unusual. Early on (within an hour and a half) this faded so much that I thought it had disappeared entirely, but it soon came back to life. Then it lasted and lasted! By the end of the day it’s fairly close to the skin, but there’s a dark sexed-up, naughty, dirty, and utterly sensual honey scent that’s just lingering and oh, so lovely! I definitely am in love with the drydown. :P

Coming back to my notes to post the review, I want to add that I think she's smoothing out nicely with age and the different notes aren't clashing anymore. If she keeps mellowing like she is, she's going to be just stunningly gorgeous in another couple of months. (Edited to add- And now she is! Stunning! Beautiful! Sexy! Sensual, creamy caramel-coated honey-apple drenched in lust with a tinge of clean sweat. Beautifully blended, now that she's aged. Wow!)

Edited by mparker

This is a forum purchase that I bought unsniffed, the notes just sounded heavenly and I was pretty sure I was going to like it.

I have to say, when I first took the lid off the bottle for a sniff.. I was a bit taken aback - it smelt quite strong, with a bit of a boozy or dark sugar note, which I wasn't expecting at all - I guess I thought it was going to be a lot more sweet.

But I needn't have worried.. on my skin, it's completely different - that booze/sugar note (which I presume is the caramel playing with the teak and amber) only sticks around for about fifteen minutes, but then it totally disappears and the cream and honey and apple come out - I've never had a blend so far change so completely on me. The other thing I've found is that this one is a stayer - another first.. I could still smell it on me in the morning when I woke up, so that was about 14 hours after initial application.

I'm really loving this - I must have just gotten lucky, because this one really works on me. It's one of the few BPALs where I don't have to sniff my arm like a maniac to actually smell it - just every now and then I think "ooh what's that yummy smell" and then I realise it's me. This one's definitely a keeper, I'm really glad I took the chance on it.

(edited to fix pesky tags)

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

I had suspected it for a while, but have now confirmed that caramel is the "note of death" on me. I was so excited about this one, but am now glad I got a decant first. I can faintly get a little apple blossom and teak underneath, but it's mostly caramel. Overwhelming caramel :(

The apple blossom, honey, cream and caramel come out at first. It's sweet, but not cloying, and I really like it at this stage. It eventually dries down to a soft musk, with a slight dusty edge, still very sweet. I don't like the dusty edge, and as my husband doesn't like this one, I doubt I'll be getting a bottle, though I might keep my decant.

Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht

Yes, honey is a NOTE OF DEATH on me and I was blinded by the amber and completely missed the honey in the list of notes. The oil is pretty in the bottle, but whoa and sadness on my skin. I wonder, though, based on Agrat and The Hesperides, if apple is also a death note. Swap pile.

In the vial: Ohhhhhh yesssss. Deep, creamy and smooth honey caramel with a hint of apple.

Wet on skin: The caramel plays nice for a few seconds then runs away when the apple blossom chases it with a baseball bat.

Dry: The apple blossom gets somewhat soapy and clean smelling and the honey and amber turn powdery.

Conclusion: I loved this in the decant beyond comprehension- it was perfect dessert and deliciousness. On my skin it's a bit light and powdery apple but in a good way. I found that adding some to my hair balances it out to where I can smell each note individually instead of it all turning into powder (amber?). It's really quite beautiful on the skin too if you like light clean scents.

In the bottle – First a hit of the caramel and then the sharp combination of the honey and the apple blossom

Wet on me – An oddly cold blend. Surprisingly the apple blossom seems to dominate, with a plasticky sweetness sitting behind it

Dry on me – There is a horrible stage where it smells like burning sugar combined with animalistic musks, it finally settles into an almost chocolaty sugar scent

Overall – I like the dry down, but the initial stages kill it for me

Mmm. Honeyed Caramel Apple Blossom. Kinda Halloweenish - but springtime-ish. Does that make sense? I seem to be amping the caramel too, which I have no problem with. A sweet, floral fruit blend. Very pretty.

In the Imp: Delicious caramel-honey popcorn with apples. The teak is also present but not as strong.

On the skin: Amazingly yummy, melty caramel apple and teak wood. I am totally loving this.

Dry down: The wood shines a little more but melds quite well with the caramel apple notes. Long staying powder and nice throw! yum!

BEAUTIFUL! 5/5!

Edited by meatcake

Yay! I finally got my hands on a decant. I've been dying to try this one ^_^

In the imp: First sniff this reminded me of Mead Moon (must be the honey) but after a few more sniffs this is clearly different...honey with a pretty apple note to it.

On my skin: Mmmm caramel and honey drenched apples! Why oh why have I waited so long to try you, oh beautiful Agrat-Bat-Mahlaht? :heart: I can't stop comparing scents to other scents lately so why stop now?? :lol: This smells like Creepy and Mead Moon had a love child. I'm not detecting any amber at this point, I'm assuming it will probably come out to play as this dries down.

Dry: Yup, there's the amber, just a teeny bit though, enough to hold everything together and make it stay on my skin. This dries into an amazingly gorgeous, sweet caramel apple on me. This isn't as sweet and foody as Creepy but sure can pass as something similar. I think I actually like this better, it's softer and gentler.

Overall: My favorite Grindhouse lady so far. This decant isn't going to last more than a few days with me. :wub2: