Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Red musk, bergamot, black currant, mimosa, orchid, patchouli, and lotus root.

Wow, wow wow wow! wub.gif It's so awesome and such an honor to get to be a part of this project, and how Jenn managed to create a portrait that is so incredibly flattering and yet looks so very much like me, I will never know! I'm going to be a toothless old woman petting that portrait. :lol:

On to the scent: At first it's all red musk; very reminiscent of Scherezade which is one of my very favorites, but more of a warm red than a savory yellow as Scherezade is made by all the saffron. I've noticed, if I dab this one on it stays predominately red musk all day, but if I apply generously and particularly in places that generate a lot of body heat, it goes through all sorts of gorgeous stages. Within an hour, the flowers bloom out in a big cloud that is so achingly beautiful, the first time I experienced it I actually burst into happy tears (which also, of course, had to do with how flabbergasted I was that this was going to be the stuff with my picture on it!). Later in the day, the sweetness of the currant and the lotus root come to the fore and the bergamot keeps an edge on them. (Although it's a very different scent, the way the bergamot asserts itself in the later drydown reminds me very much of Ides of March, also one of my favorites.) The patchouli is just barely evident to my nose, anchoring the whole thing with a faint warm earthiness. It's like when there are two low instruments playing the same line of music in unison and one is slightly brassier than the other, you almost can't hear the deeper one but you know it's there because it makes the sound richer--that's how the patchouli interacts with the red musk. I am very excited to see how the patchouli in this will age, though! The next morning, the sweet, soft skin musk still lingering in the crook of my arm is a thing of such barely-there beauty, in some ways it's the best stage of all. :thud:

I am beyond honored to be associated with this scent. :bow:

Initial Impression:

Red musk with a hint of patchouli and lotus root.

After Wearing It:

Warning: Marianne is STRONG and slatherers like me should try on a dab first before deciding whether or not it's safe to apply as usual. I applied Marianne in my usual excessive fashion as I was rushing out the door in the morning and regretted it as soon as I got into the car. Not because it didn't smell lovely, mind you, but just because it was so potent. Applying Marianne the way I did was like taking a huge gulp of tequila when you assumed it was beer. Nothing wrong with tequila or drinking in excess, but when you're expecting something much weaker, it's more than you signed on for. The cloud of fragrance filled my entire car so much I wondered if people could smell it in the next car over even with my windows up. I felt highly embarrassed when I got to class, as while I'm obviously a fan of smelling good and scents with throw, I don't really want to share my perfume with the entire room. And that strength stayed strong for all three hours of my class. :P

But on to the smell! Wet and for the first hour or so, Marianne was very "perfumey" and I mean that in the best possible way. It reminded me of all the good parts of the expensive and classic oriental perfumes that have maintained their prestige over the past century, only better. It was a very musky floral with a bit of patchouli to ground it, though not the springy sort of floral that often goes soapy and stringent of me. It was rich and heady, and the red musk that accompanied it just sang on me. I love red musk, can't get enough of it, and it really worked well in Marianne. The scent felt very refined and sophisticated, yet aggressive and a little intimidating. The scent of a real lady who knows what she wants, and isn't too shy to seize it.

The final dry down for this blend is slightly sweet. The lotus root peeked out and softened the floral notes and the red musk got a bit chocolatey on me, as it tends to do with my skin chemistry. Not in a foody way, but it gives the fragrance warmth and depth. I'm not sure I ever really smelled the black currant or bergamot in the scent. They might have added nuance to the fragrance but I wasn't able to pick them out on my own. This scent lasted for a good 10-12 hours too, though, thankfully, it wasn't QUITE as strong after the first 3-4 hours. Still kept a decent amount of throw though all day long.

Final Thoughts:

A winner, and a blend I'm sure will earn many fans. Unlike some of the early commenters on Marianne, I didn't think it smelled much like Snake Charmer though. Where Snake Charmer is thick and resinous, Marianne is much more floral. The only thing I thought they had in common was its musky quality. If I had to pick any bpal fragrance to compare Marianne to, I'd say Hell's Belle though Marianne isn't as creamy or have the subtle citrus kick.

Bottle: Woah, patchouli!

Wet: Patchouli with a bit of currant hiding behind it.

Drydown: I like it, but I'm not sure it's a 'me' scent. I'm going to let it age. I usually don't like patchouli when it's the first ingredient, though it is very feminine and sexy in this oil.

3.0 outta 5

In bottle/imp: Red musk and patchouli.

Immediately on skin: The patchouli and red musk make up a lot of this scent. It feels musky and gritty to me. I also get a bit of the currant, giving this a deep fruitiness. But the currant is seamlessly blended into that red musk and patchouli mixture. There’s a lighter overtone wafting through this too… definitely some airy floral notes.

After a little while: This is starting to smell a lot like Mme Moriarty to me. This is like a slightly fruity and floral red musk and patchouli blend. It has the medicinal note I get from Mme Moriarty and fresh Snake Oil, so that bothers me a little though it isn't as metallic as in those other blends. This is musky, gritty, and slightly fruity with a bit of wafting, light florals.

Overall Impressions: This scent didn’t really impress me, though I had high hopes for it. It’s a bit similar to Mme Moriarty to me, with the medicinal twinge I get from that and fresh Snake Oil. This is very gritty to my nose, though it might smooth out with age. The red musk and patchouli are definitely the stars of this scent with the currant, mimosa and orchid adding a bit of fruitiness and lightness to the scent. This is very grounded but has some nice top notes to it just floating above the musk and patchouli base.

Marianne is drop dead sexy. It has a dark red vibe to it and is mostly red musk and patchouli, but there is also a slight touch of juicy black currant that peeks through. The orchid is a bit dusky and is in line with the rest of the notes, but the mimosa, bergamot, and lotus sort of counter balance it. I can definitely smell the mimosa in there, though the bergamot and lotus are more elusive to my nose.

Overall this is a very demanding and confident blend. It's sexy, sultry, a bit dark, and very hypnotic.

This is without question my favorite red musk blend. I really don't get any floral scent here at all (thankfully) and I'm not noticing any similarity to Snake Charmer. To me, this is in league with Scherezade and Satyr, but less masculine and more gender neutral, and far more refined/classy. This is really unlike any bpal blend that I've tried and I will probably get another bottle before the Carnival leaves.

Unabashedly strong and dark from start to finish, if a feminine scent can ever be considered swarthy, Marianne is the one. I had to dilute just a dab in unscented lotion and it was wafting around me like a giant Play-Doh cloud. The Play-Doh scent subsided rather quickly and turned into a very dry, musky floral perfume that is so very sexy, I actually feel conspicuous wearing it. I was expecting and dreading Snake Charmer from the will-call reviews, but Marianne is more Snake Oil-esque with that bold, unapologetic style. Marianne is one for the perfume cellar, with age she will be exquisite and highly coveted. This is not a perfume for day or a scent to be taken lightly.

Snake Oil has has a dirty bitch of an Auntie and she is one haughty, overbearing whore.

I was afraid of the comparisons to Snake Charmer, too, because it didn't work on me. But Marianne DOES work on me and smells nothing like Snake Charmer, at least to my nose! Also, red musk usually doesn't work on me (but Mlle. Moriarty is one notable exception).

Red musk is the star of the show in this blend, and I definitely smell similarities to Scherezade (which doesn't work on me). The red musk and patchouli combination make Marianne a STRONG blend with lots of throw, so it should definitely be applied sparingly! It also lasts a long time--when I wear Marianne I can smell it on my cell phone and glasses for DAYS.

It is definitely a seductive "Do me. NOW!" kind of blend, and I'm sure it will be wildly popular for that reason alone! :P I also agree that Marianne will age beautifully.

In the bottle: Red musk! And patchouli.

Wet on skin: Still red musk, patchouli and the bergamot (but it's faint).

Dry on skin: The lotus root, patchouli, flowers.

Final thoughts: I had originally bought this bottle because I'm crazy about red musk and bergamot, but the bergamot is very volatile in the mix and doesn't stick on me at all :P Marianne ends up smelling like flowers on me, which I don't dig that much. I'll let my bottle age and see..

It smelled like Snake Charmer in the bottle, but on...ugh. I don't know what it is but it smells sickeningly sweet, but heavy, like some kind of extremely dense jam. I'm going to have to try this again later because I cannot believe this doesn't work on me, but for now I have to say it isn't me at all. Sigh.

In the bottle, this smells somewhat like Mme Moriarty. OK, good start. It soon morphs to something too florally and sweet for me, however. Maybe it will age well, but right now, it smells too much like a generic cologne.

MARIANNE

In Bottle: Musk and dark red murk

On Skin: This scent reminds me of murky water… you know something is there, you just are clouded and can’t see details. It’s very dark and musky, and red in tone for sure. It reminds me of Smut and Mme Moriarty, but not as sweet, which shocke sme since lotus is usually like bubblegum candy on me. The patchouli is very very earthy, a bit too much for me. I like it, but it doesn’t have the definition and instant YUM factor the other two scents I mentioned do. So for a vibe like this one creates, I’d reach for them instead. Still pretty, just not a jaw dropper like Smut and Mme Moriarty. Average throw and long wearlength.

OMG it's the dreaded peanut note from Smut!! *hides under her bed*

Thank goodness that eventually fades, but what is left behind isn't very Snake Charmer like on me. In fact, despite the peanut note being gone, it's still quite a bit like Smut to me. Deep red musk and a sharp woody and slightly floral undertone.

I don't know if I like this or not yet. Right now I only feel so so about it, but part of me thinks this will mature into something a lot nicer and richer ultimately. Might have to get a bottle just to store away!

I was worried about the lotus root when I read her description, but I couldn't pass her up on my quest through the land of the red musks so I braved it and ordered her. And i'm very glad I did.

I didn't give her time to settle, I had to swipe some on my wrist as soon as I opened the box and she came on in a gorgeous swirl of red musk. She gave me a couple of minutes to enjoy and then she morphed into something that reminded me a little of bubble gum. I realized that was the lotus area so I was a little weary and waited for the nausea lotus usually brings me, but it didn't come.

This lady is utterly lovely. A little bad and a little innocent, but with the intent of giving you pleasure.

And man, does she ever.

Sexy scent alert!

This is predominantly red musk and patchouli on me but there's a hint of something more "feminine" in the back. Now I'm not a big incense girl but of all the strong "incense" blends I've tried, this is the one I would get. It's like a girl dressed up in all the latest fashions in the upper circle but one glance at her and you know she'd love to rip off that constricting clothing and dance in the rain naked.

I concur that this scent certainly has the feel of Smut without the booze (though I have only tried the '08 version) and Mme. Moriarty without the vanilla and plum. I like Marianne a whole lot. Kind of surprising, as I was certain Agrat-Bat would be the hands-down winner for me.

At application, patchouli and red musk come right to the top, overwhelming everything. But within moments, patchouli is beaten back by the red musk and everything sweetens up. It's got the same vibe as the musks in Smut at this point. Then the orchid and lotus root rear their heads, adding a blushing girliness to the outright smuttiness, and black currant is tart and fruity, lurking in the background and smiling.

I have found that most BPAL oils I love last ages on my skin, but this is an exception. It lasts a long time (several hours), just not as long as some. It dries into something that I can tell is floral, but doesn't make me go "BLEH" as a non-floral fan. They are like purple sex flowers, and the black currant keeps the fruity enough not to be "flowery." This is sweet and sexy and just a tiny bit swarthy. Like the lady in the picture in her red corset dress, fanning herself gently and giving you a knowing-but-not-blatantly-obvious smirk.

A keeper for me.

I totally agree with slave1's assessment - Marianne is a muddy, murky scent, totally different from what I was expecting. The musk is definitely Smut-esque, one of the few musks I can't wear well - there's that whiff of latex & peanuts :P I'd hoped that the patchouli & black currant would dominate, a British Mme Moriarty, but no - I amp the florals just enough that they cancel out any patchouli goodness, and the currant gets drowned out by the musk, & the lotus root, a dry funky, rooty smell, sucks the life out of the rest of the notes. :D Sadly, Marianne, we must part ways.

ETA: Musing on Mme Moriarty just now, it occurs to me that Marianne may well benefit from some aging - fresh from the Lab, Mme Moriarty is unremarkable on me, but left to her own devices for a few months she's OMFG good. So. Perhaps I will hang onto my Marianne partial until the fall & see how she behaves...

Edited by tartchef

You ever just *look* at an oil, the way it looks in the vial/imp/bottle or on your finger, and know you're going to love it before you even smell it? Marianne just did that to me. She's so dark and thick and full of red musky promise and the scent doesn't disappoint! Mme. Moriarty is one of my favorites, and this is similar. I can never have enough red musk + patchouli + fruit though. Marianne smells a little more liked aged Mme. M to my nose, too, so if you don't like fresh Madame but don't want to age it, give this one a try. HUGE love!

I recognize the lotus root from Silence - neat! This dries down to a very nice red musk and lotus root blend on me. I will test it some more to see if I can coax out some of the other notes.

Let me just say that Marianne was the PERFECT date to take to my favorite goth club last night. Dark, strong, lots of eyeliner.

This is definitely a bold and sexy scent that lasts, and lasts, and lasts. I get mainly red musk and patchouli (it reminded me a tiny bit of Lust at first) and as time goes on, it is sweetened by the mimosa and lotus root. This is definitely in the same family of bold scents as Mme Moriarty, Lust, Smut and Snake Charmer, but is it's own blend and very unique imho- it's got a very nice soft femininity hiding beneath the brash musk and patchouli that really sets it apart. I think this will age superbly, and plan on hoarding a few bottles to enjoy in the future. Wonderful, wonderful scent!

Bizarrely, even though patchouli and red musk are ordinarily not shy at all on my skin, I don't get them at all. This smells like a sweet, innocent floral on me, which fades quite quickly. I don't dislike it at all, but I'm just surprised since I've never had patchouli go MIA before, and ordinarily anything with musk of any colour will last foreeeeeeeever. The florals are well-blended and not at all piercing or hard to wear, and very feminine. I can even smell the patchouli in the bottle just fine! What the hell? Sorry, still hung up on that.

Black currant and orchid had me worried initially, since they can get too sweet and heady for me sometimes, but they're just hanging out in the background. Lotus root is subtle but I always enjoy it, as in Silence and Diwali.

This can easily become a favourite just as it is now, and probably will remain that way when my chemistry goes back to normal in a few days and remembers that it loves patchouli and red musk.

First sniff: Earthy, musky, fruity and quite dark.

Wearing: Everything else disappears into voluptuous red velvet. I’m drowning in Marianne’s skirts. To be sure, there are worse fates. :P

A darkly colored oil. In fact I arranged my Grindhouse decants by color and Marianne was one of the darkest. I couldn't tell much from the imp, but once spread on the skin this scent reminded me strongly of Smut, and lesser Mme Moriarty (my bottle must not be properly aged yet). There was a brief dryout of some almost chemical note, but it was very short and very quickly forgotten, I predict it will disappear with age leaving a very smooth musk.

This is one sexy blend. I'll be grabbing a bottle of Marianne (or two!) before the end of the Carnival. If you have any attraction at all to those dark musky scents I strongly recommend this one, you will not regret it.

I'm not sure what went wrong on me, maybe it was a couple of things. I think red musk + patchouli is just the combination of doom. Individually they can work, but together... no. And the lotus isn't helping much. However, I think I prefer the root to the blossom, which is good to know!

Marianne is kind of a muddy smelling floral for me. I can kind of pick out the mimosa but not much else.

Disappointing. I thought this sounded promising. Sigh.