Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Babylonian musk, vanilla tea, tonka, tobacco, coconut, hyssop, and lilac.

Okay, if I needed any confirmation that I am weird, I guess I have it in Ashultum!

I was expecting to like it - light musk, vanilla, and tobacco are all usually big winners on me, although coconut is a win-some, lose-some note (eg. it was a lose note in Tiki Queen), and I wasn't so sure about the tonka, hyssop, and lilac.

But then I put it on and the musk bloomed, the vanilla rounded out, and the tobacco note gave it just a hint of gravitas with the tonka, while the hyssop stopped it from going too heavy, and the coconut smoothed everything out. It was absolutely beautiful! And the scent doesn't morph too much in the drydown, which is also excellent!

Either I have an imp where they completely forgot the lilac, or lilac just doesn't last on my skin. (High, sharp florals tend to go thin and soapy on me.)

I love it when a scent I love is still available. Must order at least one bottle!

In the bottle: Coconut! It's a more sugary coconut than I've smelled in other coconut blends, and it makes me think of delicious macaroons. Beyond that, I get distinct fresh lilac, some smooth vanilla tea mixed with the musk and just a nice, herbal twinge from the hyssop. Tonka and tobacco aren't apparent right now. It's a sweet, slightly foody floral, but that foody aspect is paired with some nice, light freshness from the lilacs and hyssop. Very pretty, smooth and very springy. It makes me think of blue skies and lilac bushes and tea with macaroons.

On, wet: Blooming lilacs and fresh, minty hyssop, sweetened with vanilla tea and smoothed with a touch of musk. The coconut has lightened up a lot, so it's just a light tinge now. I think I get a touch of tobacco, but nothing major, and the tonka isn't apparent. (Not worried about that. Tonka is always a latecomer on my skin.) Throw is gorgeous--mainly lilacs, vanilla tea and coconut, while it's more minty and herbal close to the skin.

On, dry: Lilacs, coconut vanilla tea and tonka over the musk, with that perfect minty hyssop note making everything lighter, fresher and cooler. It's like… imagine this gorgeous old Victorian house with a veranda and a big old fashioned garden. Wearing this perfume, I feel like I'm sitting on that veranda, having delicious tea and cookies and smelling the clean, cool breeze scented with all the lilacs and herbs in the garden. It's feminine and graceful, straddling the line between foody and floral.

Later: Gently musky, vanilla-ed florals mixed with warm tonka. It's really well blended now, just a nice balance of the sweet vanilla and creamy tonka with the lilacs. A little bit like Antique Lace. It's just… mmm. Heavenly! Can't stop sniffing myself.

Overall: I've been looking for a lilac scent to love, and I think this is the real thing. :wub2: The best part is that this isn't all lilac, all the time—not even close—and yet the lilacs never completely fade, they just soften and sweeten and add that touch of floral to the other richer elements, like the creamy tonka and vanilla tea and coconut. All the notes that I was hoping for here come through, and they blend beautifully together in a sweet, elegant, smooth way. (The tobacco is a no-show for me, but I wasn't hoping for it here; I have other tobacco scents.) For all that I love the lilacs and coconut and vanilla tea and tonka (and wow, I do), I actually think that it's the hyssop note that was the most amazing surprise, adding just the right amount of herbiness and mint to keep this fresh and light, instead of heavy or overly sweet; it's not usually a note I apprciate, but it's great here. This is one of those perfumes where I just have to sit back and appreciate the perfumer's art, because I never would have thought to combine these things, and yet they're wonderful together.

In the imp: Surprising; very coconut fruit, almost has a juicy smell about it that I'm unsure of

On, wet: The tobacco I was nervous about makes an entrance but it's so nicely blended into the vanilla tea that it isn't unpleasant.

Throw: vaguely fruity, floral vanilla with a bisk of huskiness

Dry: All pale vanilla and tonka with lingering florals.

Conclusion: Not super unique, but very pleasant smelling. Quite enjoying it.

I loved the vanilla/tonka, musk, and tobacco portion of this scent - but the lilac made this go all floral powdery, and ruined this for me. :(

I was hoping the musk, vanilla tea and tonka would be the main notes for me in this, but sadly it's not the case. I'm not sure what it is with florals, but they hate me. This is only slightly soapy instead of straight-up soap on me like many floral blends, but flowers are all I can smell. Vanilla tea, tonka, musk, tobacco, coconut... where are you? Why aren't you coming to save this blend?

Sadly not for me. This could have been so wonderful, too.

I reallllly get coconut most of all on this one, which is lovely since I love coconut! I think this one may be bottle worthy. I'm not picking up much of anything else besides coconut and vanilla.

:wub2:

Lemme say it again.

:wub2:

This is just a gorgeous floral musk blend! On my skin I primarily smell the light musk and lilacs, but there is a hint of coconut in the beginning, and as it dries the vanilla tea dances in to add a gentle sweetness beneath the musk and lilacs. Once dry i truly don't get much of the coconut. I don't know that my amateur sniffer really picks up the tobacco and hyssop, but i'm sure they add to the blend in some subtle way. I absolutely love how feminine and fresh this blend is.

Wow. :joy:

Lilac. A lilac that doesn't go soapy on me. Let me :joy: again.

Ok. This was quite a surprise for me. I put it on and immediately got a sharp. almost lemony scent that was well..sharp. I really didn't think I was going to like it. Then it started to morph. The vanilla came out and the lemony whatever it was went away. I'm now left with this really elegant, smooth, creamy lilac/musk scent that is absolutely beautiful. :wub2: Man, I'm getting a bottle. :yum:

For some odd reason on first sniff out of the bottle this smells like.... mint tea? O_o I think it might be the Hyssop, vanilla tea and maybe the lilac playing tricks on me.

Initally on me, this is a very flora scent that has a sharpness to it. After sitting on my skin for a few hours I am *barely* starting to smell the coconut but it still has a sharp floral quality to it.

Overall I like. One of these days I'll have to give myself the full lather and get more powerful experience.

oh-emm-gee...

OK. So I am completely overwhelmed right now by all of the bpal I have to try (I know, a HORRIBLE DILEMMA, POOR ME!!! :P )

But after trying 3 others so far...I had big hopes for Ashlultum, and I am pleased to report that this one is the best I've tried yet.

I'm not usually into florals (except rose always gets me! I love it!) so I was a bit apprehensive after reading that a lot of people got overpowering lilac from this one. And yes, it does have a lot of flower going on, but, to me at least, I'm not overpowered or bothered by it. I thought I didn't like lilac after trying Veil, but I guess it was something else that didn't agree with me in that one.

At first, Ashlultum was really flowery on me, but didn't turn to baby powder...and now its settling into a nice light floral kinda of musky smell that is quite lovely. As a bpal newbie I had no idea what to expect from this one, but it is extremely beautiful. Even if you, like me, think florals are yucky, I suggest giving Ashlultum a try.

ETA: I think what this reminds me of is my beloved grandmother. I can't pinpoint exactly why, as she was not a heavy perfume wearer that I can recall (although she did have many beautiful bottles on her vanity) but there's something about it that is really hitting me with the olfactory memory stuff...hm. Either way, I like it!

Edited by misscoldheart

Out of the bottle, and straight on the skin it was an explosion of coconut and tobacco. Very subtle and almost reminds me of the thickness that Red Lantern has (without the poppy, thank you!). As it dries down the Tabacco, and the vanilla tea take center stage with the musk holding everything together with a subtle vibrant sparkle. The flowers don't come out very much but as it dries down, the floral hint fills up and continues to glow. It gives me a bit of a headache, but it makes me feel very sexy. The combination of all the notes, is sweet without foody and just as gourmand. I'm glad to have tried it, and will cherish my bottle.

First sniff: Spicy-sweet, dark and warm and very sexy! I think the tobacco must be what’s reading as “spice” to my nose, because there’s really nothing in here that should be spicy.

Wearing: Musky and warm and maybe a little bit fruity. It’s very round and inviting. Voluptuous, even.

Wet: sweet pink white golden musk with vanilla tea. Does Babylonian musk have fig in it? This is sweet, meaty, and heavy. I can smell the coconut but it vacillates between strong and weak..constantly. strange! Faint hint of lilac however the decant I received looks pretty old and I bet the lilac has seen better days...the tonka and tobacco are there. Tonka is usually much stronger on me. It seems to interlock with the musk and vanilla tea, making it almost impossible to pick out.

Drydown: The lilac, what hint there was, is gone. The tobacco comes out a fraction more but the tonka is the one that amps here! Not bad but this is a bit too.. uhm what's the word I'm looking for here.. uh fatty? for me. It's so meaty and musky that there's something in here making me think of animal fat! I can't help it!

Ashlultum is all lilac and vanilla and light musk on me. Very light and pretty.

This scent came in a group of GH Ladies I bought off of eBay, and was the only one I wasn't the least bit excited about. The first five ingredients sounded amazing, but I am unfamiliar with hyssop, and lilac? :ack: I'm not big on florals, especially ones that seem like they would scent the soap a grandma would have in her bathroom.

But I was brave and tested her out. In the bottle, I got a sweet, musky floral and screwed up my nose at it, then applied it to my wrist. For about ten minutes, the smell on my skin was akin to the smell in the bottle. I had given up on this scent working long before putting it on my skin. But then something happened. The lilac faded a bit and was grounded by the tobacco and maybe the tea? I kept smelling my wrist and began to enjoy what I was smelling. Beth, you continue to amaze me. I'm not a floral girl whatsoever. Finding out I like oleander and magnolia was shock enough, but lilac?!

This scent stays very to the skin, but even twelve hours later, I can get the faintest wisp of lilac on my wrist. Not a scent I would buy more of, but perfect for a warm summer day!

In the Vial: This is a lilac tree in the devil's garden. The lilac is prominent, but the musk and tobacco give it a beautifully dark edge. The vanilla is strong, and I think I'm getting the tea, but the coconut is missing in action. This is a very cool scent.

Wet: Mmmmmm! The sweetness and tobacco flare up and mix to make this smell more like a cigar - and I love the smell of cigars. Then the lilac and musk come back, and the tea gets stronger, and some of the sweetness fades.

Dry: It's softened up quite a bit, and is already pretty faint. I get the lilac and tobacco mostly now, and some tea. It's a lot prettier than before, and not nearly as dark.

An Hour Later: It's gotten very faint, and all I can smell now is a very soft, slightly sweet lilac.

Overall: I loved this in its just-applied state, and if it had stayed that way it would've been bottle-worthy. I'll have to re-test this in a few weeks.

In bottle: Slightly herbal florals- shrubby lilacs & a prick of dry hyssop.

Wet: Coconut, not tropical in the least. These are delicately pulpy shreds of coconut in pale macarons, saccharine and lacy. Absolute armfuls of fragrant lilacs abound.

Dry: The lilacs & coconut recede to just an aura, gently present. Shadowy vanilla tea and tonka form a glossy gossamer base. Soft musk keeps this scent lingering with a breath of warmth for hours.

Verdict: I have been looking for a coconut scent that I can wear often without becoming jaded- and this is it. Not reminiscent of sunblock in the least. It is close to the skin, gorgeously sweet, and just slinky enough to put a twinkle in my eye when I wear it. Perfection.

Sniffed: Sweet and fluffy-sugary, slightly fruity. Must be the coconut and vanilla/tonka!

On skin: Coconut combines with tonka, vanilla tea and musk to create a light, fluffy-sweet base. What I can only identify as "pale florals" (lilac, maybe hyssop?) emerge with drydown, adding a gentle, floral clarity over the hazy, sweet/musky backdrop. I can't smell any tobacco, but I think it must be contributing to the whole. Ashlultum is light, rounded and soft without any edges -- cozy and comforting, but still cheerful and sassy! Colour impression is pastel pink darkened to black and brown at the edges... I've a feeling the Carnaval artwork is influencing this, though. ;)

Verdict: Quite a pretty blend, I haven't smelled anything quite like this. Ashlultum is a solid like, but misses out on being love, and I think she will be overlooked in favour of my other loves.

In bottle: Apparently Babylonian musk is particularly sexy. The hyssop is strong. The lilac supports it beautifully. The vanilla tea goes well with the tobacco. Coconut and tonka are understated, but present. Wet: There is more tonka on the skin. The balance shifts dramatically, with a team of tonka, vanilla tea, and hyssop with a hint of tobacco and coconut forming up as dominant (notes listed strongest to weakest), while the musk and lilac hover in the background. It is more delicate and pretty on the skin, though there is an underlying sensuality. Dry: tea, musk, tonka, coconut mostly.

I though this would be a big ol' love fest. Vanilla, tobacco, coconut, well....everything!

When I tried it on, it was sweet with all those lovely things, then the lilac jumped on the stage and stole the show. really. It went from "pretty floral vanilla" to sour lilac that my grandmother would have worn. Phooey.

What a gorgeous delicate floral!

The scent is very faint in the bottle, so it's difficult to ascertain which notes are strongest, but there's definitely lilac and a sweet vanilla backdrop in there somewhere.

Wet, it's mostly lilac with a hint of coconut and tonka. Pretty!

As it dries, the soft, exotic musk comes to the forefront, while the lilac, vanilla, and coconut round out the edges. This is a very wistful, nostalgic scent, and something I could see my grandmother wearing, but it's decidedly not "grandmothery." It's comforting and has a fresh laundry feel without being soapy; it has an understated, freshly scrubbed girl-next-door allure. If you're a fan of vanilla, soft florals, and coconut, this is a must-try. So glad I found a bottle. :wub2:

Edited by KittyHawk

Oh boy - i'm in so much trouble. I am going to be spending the rest of my life hunting down bottles of this stuff. :thud:

This scent is so well-blended to my nose; some of the notes i'd never think would work together are just divine in Ashlultum.

Wet, i can smell the lilac and vanilla and musk straight away. For the first 10 minutes or so, the lilac is the strongest but blends into the creamy musk, with hints of coconut appearing.

Dry, the tobacco, not in your face or strong but unmistakably there, ties it all together and gives it some backbone and gives it a little mystery.

Lilacs always have a rather soporific effect on me, and although the strength of the lilac backs down a bit in drydown, it is still present enough to make me feel as though i've just had a tranquilizer or an amazing orgasm :). Ahem.

Yes, i am in Love. :wub2:

Damn it.

This is an unusual one for me, since I normally like the dark-vanilla-musk-incense ones and can't do florals. But I love Ashlultum. BPAL's lilac scent is gorgeous on me and doesn't go all air-freshener or dusty like many floral notes do.

Ashlultum is a smooth, creamy, bright blue-purple scent. Lilac is the most prominent note on me, followed by coconut, with the musk and vanilla getting stronger in the drydown. It reminds me a little of Lush's American Cream conditioner with a lot of lilac added.

If you're like me and avoid most florals, I'd recommend giving it a try anyway. It really is a lovely, unusual, well-blended scent. I have a full bottle and may consider getting a backup when this series returns.

In honour of the Carnival Etsy rush of 2013, I'm testing out an imp of Ashlultum I've had sitting around (read: it's aged).

Normally, I'm all good with musk, vanilla, tonka, and tobacco ... but all I get out of this imp is coconut, coconut, and more coconut. After a few minutes, it tones down and I get the lilac. A few minutes after that, and it's pretty much gone. It makes me glad I opted not to get a bottle of this last night. :(