Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Babylonian musk, vanilla tea, tonka, tobacco, coconut, hyssop, and lilac.

this is very floral and perfumey on my skin. there is a sweet floral and vanillas, except the floral doesn't smell like lilac to me, in the traditional bpal sense. usually bpal's lilac is very strong on me and smells similar to the jasmine and honeysuckle notes, which all turn on my skin. not so with this! this has a beautiful almost tropical feel to it and it is very pretty-more reminiscent of orchids or gardenias, i think. i will keep my imp but i am unsure about buying a whole bottle yet. Edited by Shollin
fixed BPAL tags

Extremely herbal/floral and soft on me, with a twinge of coconut...it's like the world's girliest suntan lotion. Very nice, but not necessarily me.

Ashlultum is a gorgeous, young smelling perfume. Mostly pale musk and tonka on my skin, with delicate floral aspects. Slightly warm, a little spicey, the lilac is subdued but adds just a slight pale purpleness to the overall feel (which for me is a very good thing, as lilac can amp screachingly on me sometimes). A touch powdery, but still fresh. If I had to describe this one in one word, that word would be pretty. Seemlessly blended this one is.

ETA: its dry down is like girly Dorian, it is actually making me feel quite tickled.

Edited by lilacea

Rating (on skin): 2/5

Summarised in a few words/smilie: Coconut and lilac.

Preconceived notions/pre-review thoughts: Musk, vanilla, tea, tobacco, and coconut? I'm there! Hopefully the lilac plays nice.

In the imp: Musky vanilla lilac. Interesting, but very floral.

On skin, wet: Soft, coconutty lilac, but very strong lilac.

On skin, dry: Coconut and lilac: nothing more, nothing less. Lilac does have the tendency to eclipse all other notes, so I'm not terribly surprised, but without the lilac, I imagine this would be fantastic.

Conclusion: Ashlultum is a very fuzzy scent. If it had a color, I imagine it would be a very soft purple. It's a lovely floral scent, but just not for me.

Vanilla and Liliac with a coconut vibe. The tobacco is nowhere to be found. A girly girl blend that can`t be possibly called a sexy one. I`ll keep my imp maybe..

a soft, creamy coconut, backed with delicate florals and light, warm musk. i’ve never had an opinion about lilac one way or the other, but i have to say it’s really pretty here, in combination with the coconut. minutes later, i’m still not picking up the tea or tobacco. the scent seems to have become sweeter, thanks to the vanilla and tonka. this could become a favorite for when i’m feeling especially “girly”.

When I opened the bottle and took a deep whiff, the smell of sweet coconut and pretty lilac actually made me exclaim "FUCK YEA!"

On my skin it transforms and wafts about with musky lilac, boozy subtle coconut, and sweet astrigent hyssop melded with a soft hint of tobacco.

This ends up being a predominantly lilac scent, but the other notes are present and accounted for. Like all BPAL, I'm excited for what a bit of aging will do. Though none of the notes are any kind of the same, this reminds me of Mme. Moriarty. I know it's weird, but there is something quality that evokes the same emotion. A sort of voluptuosness the two share.

Full, sexy, very feminine and so lovely. Ashlultum is full of win.

Edited by Ohmaude

yay coconut!!!!!!!!!!!

mmmmmm! i nearly didn't buy this one because of the lilac but luckily i have no problems with it overtaking the scent. I love the coconut note that bpal does so much, this one is different to the black coconut note that i love even more but still just lovely. Like everyone else I don't get much tobacco but the scent is nice enough that i can deal with that :P

All I've got is a sniffie...

In The Snimp: Musk and floral... there is a deep sweetness there that must be the tonka/coconut. The lilac isn't overpowering - this is often (to my wee nosie) as overpowering as jasmine, but here it is nice. Mmm.

Verdict: Lovely! I may try and squeak one day's wear out of the snimp as I'm intrigued to see what my chemistry does with this. It seems like a lovely floral!

In the imp, it smells basically herbal, with a little vanilla hint poking out.

Wet, all I can smell is tobacco.

Dry, still heavy on the tobacco, but if I sniff REALLY deeply, I *think* I smell the hyssop again.

Sadly, I think this will have to go to the not working on me pile...

ADDED Aug. 10:

Disregard this...just when I thought it was really not going to work for me, it morphed again, and turned into something stunningly beautiful!

Utter gorgeousness!

In the Bottle

Good stuff – all of the notes blend together so well that no one scent is overpowering the others. I’m not sure why hyssop is so that may make this review a bit difficult.

On My Skin

This is beautiful, no one note is standing out (which is good because I was worried about the vanilla and tonka taking everything else over). This is blending pretty well with my skin chemistry, it doesn’t smell like I put on perfume, it just smells good. If I try I can pick out the musk, the vanilla, the tea, lilac and a hint of coconut but tobacco is nowhere to be found.

After a Bit

About an hour later and the scent is very faint. I didn’t put a whole lot on, so I’m not sure if it’s due to that or just that Ashlultum fades pretty quickly. What is left on my skin is still wonderful.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent – 4.5 Throw – 2.5 Longevity – 1.5

Over all (not an average) – 4

Final Thoughts

I’ll have to give this a full test drive to see if I can get it to stick around for a little bit longer. While it lasts it is wonderful! If I could keep it just the way it smells during the wet stage on my skin I’d be in love. I’ll test again soon to see if I need to pick up a bottle of this before CD leaves.

Ashlultum - When first applied, this scent is full of musk and coconut, but is particularly heavy on the lilac. It dries to a soft, musky scent without the other notes evident, and it fades very quickly on my skin. It's completely gone 30 minutes after drydown.

Ashlultum:

Hmm. This is an interesting one. On me this is slightly minty creamy tea. The coconut actually behaves and doesn't go cloying buttery and gross. However, at the same time that the notes behave on me and that it's somewhat pleasant, it isn't amazing, and I've been trying to limit my collection to amazing only (which is easy enough to do with such a huge catalog.) The throw on this is very light.

One good note is that now I know I shouldn't entirely give up on coconut. It's actually very very nice in this blend. In fact, the more I sniff it the more I'm tempted to keep this for when I'm in a coconut mood. It reminds me of the coconut sticky rice that they serve with fresh mango at some Thai restaurants.

IN THE IMP: Oh, this is... interesting. The first thing I noticed was definitely the lilac, though each time I sniff it, I come away with a different impression. There's also creamy coconut, and the vanilla tea is noticeable. I was afraid the tobacco would be overpowering, but on some sniffs I don't even notice it at all.

WET: Soft, musky, and sweet. The coconut is the strongest on me, but it blends really well with the lilac, vanilla, and musk. I can only smell the tobacco if I really try, and I don't know what hyssop is, but I don't think I smell that either. And I agree with Saya, it blends really well into my skin; it doesn't smell like I put on perfume at all.

DRY: The same as the Wet stage. This scent smells very cushion-y to me, for some reason. Like I'm curled up in a huge armchair hugging a fluffy pillow, the lights are dim, and I could drift off any second.

In the vial: sweet, white, pale, light, musky, smoky, flowery (in that order).

Wet on skin: faint! Where did it go? I should perhaps point out at this point that I hate lilac - even fresh lilac blossoms on the bush in my garden! This has lilac, which is the first note I pick up, but it is soon joined by coconut, vanilla, and a very soft, gentle musk.

Dry on skin: I can barely smell this. It's mostly coconut, soft musk, tobacco and lilac, and quite pretty but nothing special.

Initial impression:

Lilacs! :P One of the few florals I actually sort of like!

First on:

Musk and lilacs, but it's pretty faint. There might be a tiny hint of the tobacco in there, too.

Dry:

After about 20 mins, it's warm tonka mixed with beautiful musk, soft vanilla and a touch of tobacco and lilacs.

A few hours later, it's just a faint hint of tonka – which I love, but I wanted more of, well, everything. :D

Finally:

I loved it, but the throw wasn't very good on me, so I think I'll pass this one on... I think!

I have a moisturizer that smells like cool coconut cream (the cream with a hint of that good, decandant cream tang), mixed with a delicate swirl of slightly honeyed coconut milk, and I've been wishing for a fragrance like it (the scent fades pretty rapidly).

After the initial assault of dryer sheet musk (this is how red and white musks smell on me), Ashlultum turns into a long-lingering version of my moisturizer, only with the added twist of tobacco, giving it little darker sweetness, and some extra depth. :P

First Sniff: Wow. Musky vanilla coconut with a slight floral bite.

On skin: This is one of those blends that actually smells like the first sniff. It is inviting, and while the coconut is prominent it is softened by tonka, lilac and musk. I can barely detect tobacco or hyssop, and I am left feeling that I am drinking a warm, creamy coconut tea, with a vase of lilacs at the table.

Drydown: Pretty much the same. I don't find that Ashultum changes with time. Usually a note like vanilla will either turn rancid and lilacs will start to scream, but both behave and I am left with a creamy coconut and musky vanilla tea with a trace of tonka.

Final Thoughts: I was worried about vanilla tea and lilac. Together along with coconut, musk and tonka make for a beautiful combination. Very delicate and pretty.

In the imp and on my fingers it's a very pretty, musky vanilla.

Wet on my wrists: Holy cow, LILAC! Wow, where did my wonderful vanilla and musk go? Where's my COCONUT???

Drying: Ah, thank you lilac for quieting down. You know, you really don't have to scream to be heard. And there is my coconut barely whispering to me and my vanilla and musk are coming out of hiding.

Dry: It's beautiful. Really. Everything has blended nicely and keeps slightly shifting. Very sexy and feminine, without being girly, trashy, or too sophisticated. I'm getting a bottle. :P

Edited by Femme_Fatale

In the bottle: Sweet, slightly foody floral. Rather light and fresh with the lilac and tea, but with heavier and darker nuances of tobacco and coconut.

Wet: Much brighter, almost sharper. The lilac is powerful, heady. The tobacco has a bitter edge; the hyssop adds a fresh greenness. Still some foody sweetness from the tonka and coconut.

Dry: Still very much strong LILAC, with a slightly soapy edge, but the creamy tonka, coconut, and vanilla keep it in check. It's a bit less bitter and sharp, more like sniffed in the bottle now.

Later: Some of that truly divine, rich and sexy musk has emerged and provides great depth to the blend. Lilac still going strong topside, while the foody notes have lightened a bit, making the tobacco stand out a bit more.

Summary: Much more coherent than I had expected. It settles down into a unique blend of fresh but heady true lilac and intense, velvety musk with smooth, slick tea, a light hint of creamy sweetness from coconut, tonka, and vanilla, and a hint of bitter, dark tobacco. Unisex. Great throw and lasting power.

Not my style but more pleasant than I anticipated.

This reminds quite a bit of Monyette Paris, because of the coconut/floral blend.

It's totally yummy, but since it smells so much like Monyette (which I own), I'm not interested in buying more.

My personal hoarding assessment aside, the combination of lilac, coconut, tonka bean, musk, and tobacco is blended seamlessly and it's a surprisingly smooth and lovely scent.

A winner!

4.3 out of 5

Grrrr. In the imp, all I smell is tobacco and musk!!! Where is the vanilla tea, coconut and lilac??? Hopefully those other notes will come out on my skin...

Yeah, srsly, I don't know how some of the other reviews say that they don't get tobacco...it's by far the strongest note on my skin and overwhelms the light whiffs I get of coconut and lilac.

Yeah, this is definitely a fail on me-it just ends up being kind of a light tobacco/musky skin scent with a touch of lilac/coconut. Not what I was looking for in this blend.

To me, Ashlultum is a very pale blend. It opens with the Babylonian musk and tonka and maybe vanilla tea, then as it's drying, shifts to a blast of single note coconut, and then back to the vanillic Babylonian musk. (I don't know what Babylonian musk IS, but to my nose is very gentle. It's more similar to white musk than red or black, but it's certainly not the same.) Although I like lilac and tobacco, I wasn't too put out that they didn't show up, since I liked the blend as it is. I think it would be a good work perfume. Very nice.

This is like Black Pearl with lilac!! Like a snowy blue springtime version of Black Pearl. I can sense that same lovely coconut note.

Ashlultum, to me is predominately a sweet and flowery coconut tea. There is a slight smoky bitterness in the mix which adds complexity.

I love it so it's :P for me!

Applies in a whoosh! of florals but that goes away shortly to leave all of the notes to mingle together. I am in love with this vanilla tea note and want to see it in more blends -- there is something about it that evokes a scent memory from my childhood; nothing specific but I remember this scent fondly. This smells like a commercial perfume scent to me, but it does stay very close to the skin, I have to stick my nose to my wrist to smell it unless I slather it. [i've just got and reapplied it as I was not intending to review it when I put it on earlier, just test to see if I liked it enough for a bottle - unfortunately I don't but it's still a lovely smell, just not something I need]. The vanilla tea sticks out for me as well as a hint of cool coconut and the lilac, which is a pleasant floral scent and not overwhelming. After it dries this scent smells exactly like a Lush bath bomb to me. I just dug through my stash and cannot pinpoint exactly but something small and sparkly definitely.