Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Ashlultum~
Babylonian musk, vanilla tea, tonka, tobacco, coconut, hyssop, and lilac.

Now I have my own little baby Andra to keep!

This is definitely giving off and suntan oil vibe, but lilac suntan oil. It's like I've been at Water World all day, running around having a grand old time.

It also reminds me of Black Pearl/Moon a bit. That rich orchid/lotus scent coupled with musk.

The tea is faint but gets stronger as it dries and the tobacco is wonderful here! It's keeping it from going too sweet. Hmm, now I'm reminded of an Anthropologie store with the mish-mash of high quality body products in fun and enticing scents.

I like this. It's a bit different than expected. Andra is going to sit right next to my A and B bottles...forever, mwahahahaaaa! Edited by allidavie
Added scent description

This is so strange - for only having two floral notes, this scent is extremely flowery on me.

Me, too! All the notes I didn't want to amp came out on me, and all the ones I wanted to smell vanished. :P

This one is going to have to go to the swap pile, I think. I am so disappointed!

This is so strange - for only having two floral notes, this scent is extremely flowery on me.

Me, too! All the notes I didn't want to amp came out on me, and all the ones I wanted to smell vanished. :D

This one is going to have to go to the swap pile, I think. I am so disappointed!

My high hopes for this have been shattered. I fell for the Babylonian Musk but landed in a pile of sharp lilac and tonka beans :P

Tonka hates me and so do 95% of floral notes. After some time it fades to a really nice floral musk stage but it is not worth waiting for it I am afraid.

Dear Lab, can I have this without the tonka, please?

What a beautiful blend! :D

It starts out fairly herbal, a green lilac.

But very soon it morphs into something so much more. Coconut, hints of vanilla tea, the slightest undertone of musk, and rounded out with the lilac.

Just enough floral, without being too much so. I had no idea how the coconut and vanilla tea notes would work with lilac (my favorite flower), but - well - it works! And beautifully so.

Stays relatively close to my skin. I could see it working both for everyday wear and for its sex appeal.

ETA: 10-15 minutes later . . . :P

I just sniffed my wrist and my first thought was - SOAP. Very pretty, feminine soap that I wouldn't mind sniffing AS SOAP, but . . . but, but, but . . . I don't generally like to smell like soap.

I can still smell most of the notes, but I guess it's morphed a bit more or something.

Beautiful soap. But still, soap . . . I iz a very, very sad girl right now.

Edited by angelfish323

In the vial: um, dryer sheets.

wet on skin: very strong lilac.

Dry: I was really tempted to wash this off, but I'm glad I didn't. The dry-down is really lovely. The tea is subduing the lilac, and the hint of musk in the background makes for a subtly sexay scent.

Ummm... yeah, hi, Hyssop. Yeah, it's great to see you too... :P Hey, do you think you & Lilac could maybe, um, I dunno, keep it down a little?

Please?

No?

OK, OK, no need to drag coconut into this, too. I get the message.

Sheesh.

this scent was a bit off-putting at first. i am not sure what it was that made me recoil a little...but obviously it was not strong enough to keep me from applying it; and i'm glad i did. i'm not too familiar with the notes in ashlultum...i.e., i have no clue what hyssop is supposed to smell like, and i'm still unsure exactly what tonka is :P but this scent has got me interested. i get a smidgen of the lilac but mostly, i think the coconut combined with the musk note creates that sunblock lotion likeness that i eventually get. but, blessed be, this is not offending! and i haven't tried to suntan for over 12 years! amazing!

ashlultum is not a scent typical of what i'd wear and, like i said, something about it makes me nervous about applying it, but i mysteriously keep reaching for it a little more often than my other grindhouse ladies decants. i note that some other reviewers have the same ambiguous but, ultimately, pleased sentiment as i do with regard to ashlultum. i suppose it is classified as an "unusual" scent. may have to get a bottle just because of this.

this scent would have been beautiful, if it didnt have lilac... I have determined its a fail note on me over the course of CD.

I can totally see the sunblock references.

Oh, coconut... how can you betray me like this? This is the first coconut bpal blend that hasn't been absolutely lovely on me.

I'll give it another try in a few days... but likely off to swaps.

I was intrigued by the notes in this blend. Tobacco, coconut, vanilla tea, and tonka paired with musk. Sounded like this would be my perfect cup of tea, as Upa Upa and Elegba are two of my favorite BPAL blends. I didn't give too much thought to the florals in this, as I expected coconut and tobacco to overrun everything else. This was an interesting experiment...

The Babylonian musk appeared fresh, and almost like a white musk (without the high note that white musk sometimes has). But, it was quickly sucked into my skin to become very much a light, barely noticeable skin musk. On the late drydown, the musk blends with the tonka and the vanilla tea to become somewhat sweet and candyish. It's there, but so deeply penetrated into my skin that it's almost flat.

The florals, hyssop and lilac, were very top-note on my skin. The hyssop stayed longer than the lilac, but neither stuck around for long. In the end they lend a soapy, slightly herbal quality to the blend, both in early and later stages.

I wish that Ashlultum had stuck around longer.

At the end of the day I am left with a sweet, candyish drydown mixed with a faint castille soapiness.

It was interesting to see how this one developed while wearing.

Ashlultum starts out with a watery-floral essence to it, and I can definitely pick up the hyssop and lilac. Behind those stage-stealers is the most intriguing mix of musky tea and tonka and BEAUTIFUL coconut. I really love that hint of coconut in there. I wish my skin picked up a little less of the lilac and hyssop but, really, this is a lovely and fitting blend and the Babylonian musk is so beautiful when it mingles with the coconut and tobacco, tonka and tea.

A beautiful soapy lilac that starts off light and ethereal and deepens as tonka bean and the darker notes come out. Exquisite!

My chemistry does bad, bad things to Ashlultum. Stupid chemistry! :P On me, there is no lilac, no hyssop, no vanilla tea, no tonka... It is almost single note, STRONG musk, tobacco and coconut, making it smell very manly! So bad, I had to go wash it off.

My skin ate this completely. I can barely tell that there's a scent there, and it smells like maybe apple? maybe thats the lilac?

The combination of vanilla tea, musk, and tobacco had me giddy- but I smell.... nothing.

Hmm... I wanted this to be musky vanilla tea coconutty tobacco. But alas the lilac seems to be most prominent. Wet I get lilac and coconut in the background. After about an hour the lilac fades and I get the faint smell of coconutty tobacco behind some lilac. This is nice. Maybe with some aging the tobacco will come out more. And maybe the coconut too.

I love lilac. And I had been wishing for a lilac/coconut combo for a while, so when Ashlultum popped up, she was the first thing on my decant circle.

I was expecting it to be a little darker, being unfamiliar with Babylonian musk. The musk is present, and the lilac is also there, but there's something sharper than lilac (which usually reads as quite sweet, to me) and I'm wondering if that's the hyssop. I can smell the coconut now. Huh. This scent is confusing to me. I wish the vanilla tea would be stronger. I think I'm just wishing for something to sweeten this up a little bit. Instead, I smell the tobacco as a grounding note- this is not unexpected. I tend to amp tobacco like crazy, but it's being well behaved in this blend. The scent is fairly light, but it's certainly not invisible. The drydown is nice, it's just not quite what I was hoping for. I like the scent, but I don't love it like I expected to, and that's sad.

This goes on smoothly, with a mellow sweetness that is really pleasant. I get a similar vibe from this that I do from Inez, although this has more of a floral character while Inez is a bit spicier. I can smell coconut instantly, but it's buoyed up on a drift of soft musk and the vanilla tea. The tonka and tobacco add a little bit of a smokier undercurrent, but what I noticed most this morning while it was in the drying-down stage was the lilac, with a slightly soapy tone that might be the hyssop. It's not actually soapy, though -- just has that quality, if that even makes sense.

As this has dried down, I can smell the coconut-tobacco just slightly edging everything else out, but while Perversion and Red Lantern take this combination to very sultry, devious places, Ashlultum keeps it almost demure. You know this is a front, though. :P The lilac, as others have said, does indeed keep blowing kisses from just off-stage. Ashlultum, you're such a tease!

I really like this one, although it seems to disappear on me fairly quickly. However, this light character makes it perfect for hot weather, when I don't want something clinging heavily to me all day. And if I really need it during colder months, there's always the locket.

Aaaaaaaaaah. This is gorgeous. Soft musk, lilac, creamy vanilla and coconut, with a hint of tobacco. Light, but lasting, this is extremely classy and sexy. I have a feeling this is going to jump into my top five, and I'll probably need another bottle.

Oh, sunblock.... sadface.

It smelled so good in the imp, but as soon as it went on, it was a fakey lilac sunscreen. I can barely stand it on myself. I'm going to have to wash it off.

This oil was so well-blended that it was hard for me to pick out any one note in the imp. Dotting it on, I did manage to sniff out the coconut, along with some musky vanilla. As it dries, I can sort of smell the flowers, but really it's mostly a musky vanilla coconut blend. Once it's totally dry, the lilac picks up a lot more and the two scents -- the coconut/vanilla blend and the lilac -- are about equal in strength.

It's nice, but it would be nicer as a room scent, I think.

Miss Ashlultum is almost...aquatic on me! In the imp, I couldn't smell it at all. On me, it's an exceedingly pretty scent, akin to a light peach beverage of some sort. There's little in the description or notes to suggest aquatic peach, but there you go. Oh hey, there's a bit of coconut in the background now! Mmm. It's a VERY faint scent on me though, and I have to smush my nose against my face to get anything from it.

In imp: vanilla lilac

Wet on skin: a whole bunch of things, but nothing really coming out.

Dry on skin: vanilla lilac

Verdict: too much lilac, not enough musk. Oh well.

I've gone through a whole decant of Ashlultum, just reapplying and hoping that this blend starts working with my skin chemistry. The thought of lilac, coconut, and vanilla tea has me swooning, but I can't really pick out any of the listed notes from this blend. It smells 'floral' in that weird way that doesn't really smell like flowers or any particular flower.

Ashlultum starts off as a musky, vague floral smell and then dries down to something like musky floral baby powder and floral shampoo on me. I catch a whiff of suntan lotion coconut every once in a while, but mostly this is clean floral and musk on me. I usually amp and fear tobacco, and I can't find any tobacco in this either. I get light, clean floral and a hint of coconut, and this blend fades pretty fast on me...

Oh my goodness... I bought my decant off a lovely forumnite, and I'm so glad I did. Ashlultum is a wonderful sweet musky scent on my skin. The lilac and coconut blend together into something light and sweet - but not too tropical or too floral. The vanilla is light and creamy, the musk wonderful. My only criticism is that I can't smell the tobacco, which is one of my favorite notes.

Ashlultum is a serious win, I'll almost certainly be getting a bottle.

This is so freaking awesome. It smells purple. Gorgeous rich purple lilac that fades right into tea-tobacco-musk without ever going powdery or stale. Lots of people are calling it light and sweet, so I was expecting something like, I don't know, Fairy Market, but I think it's more similar in tone to The Emathides. Purple. This will sound weird, but something in there also smells gorgeously herbal, almost like peppermint tea - it may be the hyssop.

The overall scent is one of those well-blended ones where, although you can pick out individual notes, it doesn't really smell like any of the notes so much as it smells like its own thing. Those scents are often among my favorites. It also smells weirdly familiar, like I should be able to say "This smells just like X" but I don't know what X is. Still, I definitely want at least one bottle of Ashlultum.

There were many Ladies I was expecting to fall in love with, and Ashlultum was definitely not one of them. I wasn't expecting her to be one of the muskiest, sexiest scents.

Here's what happened: I put her on. She morphed in a spectacular, swirly colours and shiny lights technocolour Sailor Moon kind of way. I came over to the boards to add my review, and in reading the other reviews thought: This can't possibly be what I have on! So I put more on to check, because I thought I had lost track of which Ladies I was trying - I've got on, er, six. But! Repeat crazy morphing.

In the decant, Ashlultum is flowery and light, a cool and sunny summer day kind of scent.

Strangely, on my skin, she is something different altogether. Have you ever walked by a guy on the street and thought "I wish with all my heart I was brave enough to ask him what scent/deoderant/whatever he is wearing so I could buy a bottle for my Boy and six for myself, so I can roll in it, and smell like warm sweet musky delight for all of my days?" Because that happens to me every so often, and I know they're all wearing the same thing, but I've never come across it on anyone I knew well enough to ask.

Well, now I don't need to ask. Clearly all those gentlemen were wearing Ashlultum.

Only she's the same thing, but better and more feminine. I'm seriously so awestruck by her that I can't even pick out notes. I really hope this smells the same on other people, because it's a scent that should be shared with the world, in order to achieve world peace and universal love and some pastries that float down out of the clouds carried by baby angel puppies. I like it that much. And if it doesn't smell that way on other people, clearly it will be my life's work to slather it and travel to BPAL communities around the world and allow people to sniff me.

(and if it morphs again to something else, I will literally cry you a river)