Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Patchouli, Kashmiri tea, cardamom, black pepper, carnation, and clove.

This is such a lovely morpher! It's quite dark and scary in the bottle: all patchouli, pepper, and clove. But don't let that frighten you away! When it dries on my skin, the patchouli fades into the background, providing a sort of warm depth, and the carnation is the leading note. I can catch whiffs of everything else, but strangely enough as it sounds, this dries down to a much spicier, less creamy version of Alice on me! I think it's definitely going to be a great fall and winter scent.

First Sniff: Cloves and spicy carnation

On Skin: This is all cloves and carnation with just a hint of patchouli. I can handle patchouli in small doses, so I was a little apprehensive trying it. I am so glad that I gave it a chance. It is so warm and inviting and extremely familiar. This is going to layer so well with Potion.

Drydown: The carnation fades to the background and I am left with the scent of a cloves that quickly turns into a earthy, spicy cup of chai tea. Beautiful. As time goes by, this spicy little number get's earthier (due to patchouli) and while it doesn't get overwhelming, it certainly adds depth and darkness that wasn't present on initial application.

Final Thoughts: I am thrilled that I decided to take a chance. If you love spicy/earthy/tea scents with strong staying power and a hint of carnation, this is for you. Definitely bottle worthy.

I almost passed on this, based on how it smelled in the imp. Strong, aggresive, and not at all what I like. Plus, there's patchouli in there, which I can't stand...

...but I put it on anyway. And oh.

In the beginning, I can smell cardamom, cloves, and pepper; it's a strong mix of baking spices, it reminds me of making christmas biscuits with my mom. The acrid and pungent component I smelled in the vial fades very quickly, and leaves only the glorious spices.

As it dries, it mellows further; I think the cloves come out more and more, and perhaps a hint of carnations. It's soft, spicy, and gorgeous.

Keeper? Yes, and hoarder. It should age well, too. And I think soemone mentioned it would be a great layering scent, which I second; I can't wait to try it out with something vanilla-ish like Love's Philosophy.

Edit : I layered it with Love's Philosophy later on, and, again, oh. It smells gorgeous, sweet and spicy. those two scents complement each other perfectly, the spices take away what might be too simply sweet in Love's Philosophy, and the vanilla and cream soften Clemence further. And - somewhere during the drydown, this started smelling almost exactly like Storyville. I will test it again to be sure, but I think I might have found a valid substitute here. Wonderful. Wonderful!

Second edit : this has a lot of throw. Woah. My brother, sitting on the other end of the couch with a cold, complained of me having put on too much perfume! And it was only one swipe of the wand.

Edited by Deidre

This was the one of the Ladies of the Grindhouse that appealed to me most on first glance, though Dionysia was a close second and several of the others looked pretty exciting too. But I have a serious love of spicy scents, so this one really stood out.

And spicy it certainly is -- a bit like Three Witches plus patchouli. The patchouli gives it a bit of an earthy undertone that TW lacked, though I think for it to be perfect, I'd have liked a bit of some kind of resin or musk to round it out a little.

As it is, it's a pretty sharp, aggressive scent -- the tea adds a note of acidic tartness to the spices, and the carnation is very cinnamon-like, so it really just adds to the spice blast instead of contributing any sweetness like you might expect from a floral.

It's not an especially feminine scent -- I'd call it more gender-neutral, not that that's a bad thing by any means. And it has a very definitely Indian feel to it, like a scent you might encounter in some kind of sachet in an Indian clothing store.

Unfortunately, it doesn't have too much in the way of staying power -- I've had to reapply it several times over the course of the day. But even with that, and with the lack of resinous depth that might have made it really perfect, it's still pretty appealling to me, and a definite keeper. Maybe bottle-worthy, maybe not, we'll see.

Grade: B+/A-

in the imp i smell patchouli and pepper, pretty simple, however this scent blossoms on my skin quite beautifully. i love carnation scents, and it adds a nice extra spice to the black pepper and clove, which is all i can really smell, the clove being most prominent. that's fine with me, because sometimes patchouli can be too earthy for my tastes. i only wish the tea came out more on my skin. this actually smells a lot like clove cigarettes, but without the hint of sugary sweetness. very nice!

Spicy! I can pick out the clove, carnation, and patchouli.

Honestly, I totally hate carnation, but the patchouli and clove complement it rather nicely.

I wouldn't wear it because of the carnation, but I will say it's the closest I've come to understanding why people like it as a scent. The patchouli really brings out its best qualities, in my opinion.

3.6 out of 5

In the decant, this is a very light spicy scent--not too much on the tea front, but wonderful nonetheless.

Wet on: clove, lots and lots of clove, with just a little bit of pepper/spicy carnation and cardamom. Luckily, I :P clove.

Dry: Clove, clove, clove, clove, tea, patchouli, clove, clove, cardamom, clove, pepper, carnation, clove! If I sniff closely, I can tell what's in it (mostly because I know what I'm sniffing for), but a casual sniff yields almost all clovey-goodness: as though I shoved a few in my arm to preserve it, the way they do with oranges. The tea is probably the next most prominent note--but only insomuch as it is a supporting factor for the clove. Like lovely clove tea. It's much lighter on my roommate--with more tea and carnation in the mix, but really, I'm okay with the clove.

Also...fantastic throw. I only used a small drop on my arm and it has been wafting about me ever since.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description --Shollin

This is the only grindhouse lady that I like so far. I'm not much into clove, but I'm into everything else here, and it all balances so nicely that I can't really detect the individual notes. I definitely get the carnation and clove. Someone else said that this smells like Tramp, and tis true, but not for long, (thank goodness), maybe a cross between Chai and Tramp when dry. Love it, and will be getting a back-up.

Ah, Clemence. I had high hopes, for you...I love all your notes and you smell so lovely in the imp and on my skin.

Dark, musky, woodsy patchouli...and the spiciness of cardamon spiked by the pitch of pepper. divine!

Alas...you sank into my skin and disappeared in all of 10 minutes.

All that's left of you now three hours later is the slightest hint of a woodsy smell I can only detect when I press my nose directly to my skin and inhale deeply and search for your presence.

Heartbroken!!! :P

I've been putting off trying Clemence. Her first note, after all, is patchouli, and that has not worked out well for me among the Grindhouse ladies. And now that I've gone to write the review, the imp has gone missing! Not five minutes after retrieving it from the box for a refresher! I'll have to rely on memory and the scent remaining on my wrist, which is still strong.

In the imp: A bright, not unpleasant patchouli, reminiscent of my days in Eugene long ago when patchouli was fresh and new.

Wet: Peppery carnation! Clove and cardamom and patchouli, but peppery carnation foremost.

Dry: The peppery edge has subsided, but is still present. I smell more of the cardamom, clove and tea over the top of the patchouli, softening it and making it more sophisticated. I like it, a lot.

Someone remind me that I want to buy this when the time comes. Dang, I hope I find that imp before the dog eats it...

When I first sniffed Clemence in the bottle I was drawn into the dark, spicy depths. I was ready and willing to dive in headfirst. The only small cause for trepidation was a worry that the clove might pull that sharp, burnt note that it occasionally does on my skin.

On my skin, Clemence is primarily spiced tea. Strong and delicious, and the truest hot tea note I've encountered. After about an hour it does the something extra special. It takes a step back. Calms. Steadies. And blooms.

Soft and warm and gorgeous. Gentle, rich spices and carnation tea rounded out by the background patchouli. Clemence goes straight to my heart and my Top Ten LEs.

I've been looking forwards to trying what from the artwork seems to be the kinkiest of the Grindhouse ladies. :P

In the vial - Dark, heavily spiced chai tea. I almost want to drink it! Tea and cardamom are two of my favourite notes and here they blend together into a wonderfully exotic scent.

Wet on the skin - Carnation adds a peppery sweetness to the tea note. As someone said above, there's a distinct resemblance to Potion by Lush in the carnation note. This is a brazen and decisive blend; not for those who are feeling shy! While there are lots of edible seeming notes in here, when applied to the skin Clemence becomes far more earthy.

Next stages - Carnation and patchouli remain the strongest notes, set against a background of dusky spices. It has a strong, powerful throw.

Dry down - The final stages are a little more patchouli-heavy than I'm used to but I'm sure it will mellow with time. Overall, a wonderful scent for winter.

Similar blends - Mama ji, Hetairae

In the bottle and wet on skin, I can smell the cardamom and the clove almost exclusively and quite strongly, which is lovely.

For the first hour that it's drying, if I smell my wrist directly, I still get cardamom and clove. In the air, I catch strong whiffs of the patchouli and I can 'taste' the pepper in my throat. Not a great sensation, but not awful either.

After the first hour, only the smell of patchouli is left, very faintly, and it faded to nothing after a couple hours. Patchouli is not a favorite note, so I wasn't sorry to see it go.

I did, however, put this in my need-to-smell-when-hormone-levels-change pile to try again in a week or so.

Bottle: Spicy deliciousness!

On: Very spicy, predominantly clove. A lovely spiced tea scent--I can definitely see the comparisons to a nice chai. This is much lighter than I expected (i was expecting a darker scent from the patchouli), and I do get some nice carnation from it. Unfortuantely, this has only an hour or two lifespan on my skin before it goes poof.

Overall: Very much enjoyed the scent, but it fades quickly and I'm too lazy to reapply that often.

Updated to add an aged review: Spicy cloves and carnation now, I can't really get the tea note anymore, and there's just a bit of "dirtiness" from the patchouli. Its a very nice clove scent, but now I'm in love with Velvet Bandito for my clove-of-choice. I'm passing this along.

Edited by jewelbug

In the vial, all I can smell is bpal's wonderful carnation note (smells like true carnation to me, with its hints of spicy sweetness) and a lovely, sweet clove. It reminds me of LUSH's "Potion" fragrance, but better. On my skin, the patchouli makes a light and brief appearance, adding a touch of earthiness to the clove and carnation. It fades quickly, though.

I love the mid-stage of this where it's mostly carnation, a sensual heat from the pepper, and a hint of clove. The carnation and pepper combo is gorgeous. Black pepper in perfume always intrigues me, and I find it wonderful and wearable here.

After a half hour, this is still good, but not quite as good as it was. The pepper disappears and a slightly astringent tea note pops in. It morphs into mostly tea with a background of carnation and a hint of clove on me.

Clémence is a heavy scent on me with a lot of throw. It clings to my skin and amps up like crazy. It's a scent that would give me a headache on my sensitive days, but I'll like it on days when I'm craving a warmer, spicy, heavy sort of floral. I really do like the carnation in all of its stages. I wish the pepper would stick around, though.

Oh where oh where has my patchouli gone... :P I'm a patch-lover and I was hoping for something spicy and patchouli, but on me, Clemence is spicy-sweet chai tea all the way... she's subtle, but she lasts several hours (the spice in particular) ... Sniffing between the spices, this has an amazingly true black tea note. She very pretty, but almost too subtle for cold wintery weather. Clemence would be a good companion on a warm fall day... or for casual daytime wearing...

love this! i stayed away since this was supposed to be Lush's Potion but it's so much better and not at all carnation on my skin. I get a lot of spices. Spices and pepper and not patchouli.

I did not like this one when I first put it on. At all.

That said, after the notes settled in on my skin, and the overbearing carnation softened up, it's a very lovely scent.

I'm getting Cinnamon hearts mostly, which I'm assuming is the carnation, cardamom and pepper working together, but for some reason i'm also getting a hint of a citrus in here. (?)

Over all I do like it, but not enough to get a bottle.

Clemence

Wet, in imp: cloves.

Wet, on skin: cloves.

Dry, on skin: cloves.

Sorry Clemence, your cloves came and trampled over all the other lovely notes; I can't smell anything else!

Why on earth did I buy this one? Maybe for the name, because Clémence is on my list for baby girls, I don't know...

Anyway, it's spiced patchouli and it's giving me headaches so off to the swap-pile.

(It makes me think of chai tea as well, and that's not exactly my fave kind of tea).

Mmmmm. Lovely, spicy carnation, a touch of tea, a lot of clove with a touch of sweetness, and some gorgeous patchouli to round it out a touch.

A new favorite! I will treasure my bottle & possibly acquire a second.

I tested this on purpose without refreshing my memory as to the note descriptions.

In the vial: peppery, spicy, warm. Clove and cinnamon? Something else spicy, is there allspice in this?

Wet: The briefest moment of HELLO THAR BLACK PEPPER. Then, clove going softer and warmer. Continues to soften. A little sweet -- something floral? Doesn't seem to change much, just kind of puts roots down. I think there's supposed to be some other note in here that was important to me, what was it?

Dry: oh yeah, there's carnation in this, that's what was missing! Woot! Lovely spicy warm rich carnation. Just the tiniest edge from the black pepper. Sultry. It continues to mellow as time goes by.

OK, now I've read the notes again: The spiciness in the beginning must have been cardamom. And now that I know there's patchouli, I think I can pick it out in there, emerging as the drydown mellows, being a supporting character and making the carnation sort of a "dirty carnation" as opposed to a sweet or creamy carnation. I'm not the biggest fan of patchouli qua patchouli, but it actually does a pretty damn good job of anchoring the whole thing. Before the patchouli emerged, it was kind of ... unfinished? Like, "nice smell, but not quite perfume". The patchouli connects it to my skin somehow.

I like this. It's really nice. I haven't fallen in love with it, but I might given a little time. I really like carnation, but I'm not sure it's me.

ETA: apparently I have a problem with reviewing scents too soon because I'm all excited. :rolleyes: As Clemence continues to dry down the patchouli does get stronger, becoming maybe as prominent as the carnation. The tea starts to peek its head out as well. However, it's still really balanced and pretty, and maybe even more wearable than when it was all carnation coming on strong.

Edited by odalisque

This is probably the spiciest thing I've tried from BPAL - the overall impression is of black tea and a whole lot of black pepper and clove. I can't even pick out the *patchouli* (let alone the carnation), which is unusual. It also doesn't have a whole lot of throw - it loses most of its kick within about ten or fifteen minutes and subsides to spicy tea. I'm glad I went with a decant instead of a bottle, because while I do like it, it's a little too dry for my tastes. I like warm and spicy, but on my skin I think it really needs a dab of fruit to balance it out.

In the bottle: Cardamom and something herbal and sharp

On the skin: Mmmmmm, turns in to tea and clove on me! I think it smells really good. Different, but good. It makes me think of having hot english breakfast tea in the mornings before leaving for work/classes. Boyfriend doesn't like it, but I think I might keep this one anyways. So tasty!

From the outset, carnation seems to be the dominant note on me. The cardamom and patchouli come in almost immediately after, lending an earthy spiciness here. As the blend settles I can detect a faint trace of the black pepper, but it's still predominantly carnation. After about an hour the clove comes out more. Someone used the term "dirty carnation" and I am totally getting that same vibe! It's a fairly calming and comforting scent for me. I quite like it.