Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

High John the Conqueror

A fast-acting, powerful scent used to overcome adversity through positive means. Attracts wealth, prestige, good health, and enhances others' opinions of you. Grants courage and steadfastness.

Grapes. Immediately, I think grapes, herbs, and bundles of wildflowers laid on the ground. Not Jolly Rancher grape, but ripe, sweet red grape. Green herbs, not bitter in any sense of the word. There are no sharp edges to this scent, but it has such presence and distinction!

There's an underlying similarity to Water of Notre Dame, perhaps in the aquatic nature of it. Unisex without being unfeminine - this would be very wearable for most anyone who didn't exclusively prefer "dry" scents.

There are no sharp edges to this scent, but it has such presence and distinction!

I have to agree! This is such a wonderful blend that I cannot put a finger on one particular scent. It does have an effect on the days that I wear it. How's that for self-fullfilling prophecy? I smell good so therefore I am.

If it works or not, this is really a feel good perfume! Makes me feel comfortable when wearing it. Like a soft blanket. It´s hard to describe the single notes, but soft, herby, soapy are words that come to my mind.

It´s very friendly,all days wearable, unique scent.

The staying power is a 10/10!

On the skin it last all day and on clothes untill you put in the washing machine.

ETA: this oil looks so different from all the other imps, its very milky. dirty´oil (not that I mind, it smells fab!)

ETA 2: on the purpose of a Voodoo blend, THIS IS MAGIC!

The current job i do, i wore High John to the interviews. Not only did I get the job but I earn the highest salary in this position.

As it is a project, time has come to move on... Last week I had the first interview for an amazing job and now i am already in the last round! And believe me , the other candidates were all experienced sales man with a proven sales record! High John played a huge role in here.

ETA 3 I got the job, and as it is a sales position, visiting prostect is the main business. A few weeks ago there was a major prospect of a famous company. I decided to wear High John and... it was like he came under a spell. Nobody was ever so enthousiast about our product and he sight the contract within a week (my first real client Yaj!!!)

ETA 4. It has been 3 years and this is still my magic success oil. Every jobinterview I wear it, I am sure to get the job. Any moment I need strenght, its this oil that helps me through. I just feel good and confident whenever I wear it.

Edited by quinkel

When I smelled this in the bottle, I got the grape scent...kind of like ripe grapes on the vine. After I put it on, the grapes were gone and I got this soapy scent coming through and I wasn't sure I was going to like it.

I've had it on about an hour now and it is a very nice...I'm wanting to say golden kind of scent. I agree with no sharp edges. I really can't pick out a single scent but is very comforting and strengthening.

Initial Impression:

Green, herby and a touch both soapy and spicy.

After Wearing It:

When I first put this on, I was struck by how herby and soapy it smelled. Very green and almost sharp. Not my kind of scent, but I was in need of a lot of courage today so I persisted! After an hour, the scent smoothed out, still fresh and green but spicy too. Not cinnamon spicy, but in a way I can't quite define. Less ofeensive to my nose, though not something I'd normally wear.

As for its voodoo properties, I can't vouch for its wealth and influence drawing claims, but it did strengthen my spine today as I was walking into the doctor's office. It made me feel less vulnerable and remind me that even if I do experience discomfort, nothing bad will happen to me.

Final Thoughts:

This isn't something I'd buy for the scent alone, so I'll have to wear it a few more times to test out its magical properties.

Yup, definitely fruity at first, then very clean and "soapy" the rest of the day. Very nice and definitely wearable-- well-rounded and lovely. I ordered an imp of this because of some stuff going on at work-- I felt like I needed a boost of confidence and hoped this would help. I first wore this on a day when I had to approach my boss about something difficult and I had been dreading the task. Maybe it was the oil, maybe not, but I felt strong and steadfast going in and I got exactly what I wanted with no argument or difficulty from her... incredible, because I had gotten flack from her previously about this same request. I intend to test this again, with the plus of enjoying how lovely it smells regardless of any effect it has :P .

*edit 01/05/06* I finally got myself a big bottle of this and wore some of that for the first time today... I was meeting some very important clients for lunch and wanted to make a good impression. Today I noticed an "almondy" note when wet, and on drydown a more "waxy", creamy sort of note. I hadn't noticed either of these notes before from the imp I had (and emptied!). The waxy note reminded me somewhat of lipstick-- not unpleasant, just the association I made! I still love this, and the clients definitely liked me (I don't think I've ever laughed so much at a client lunch!). I really think this oil works and I don't ever want to be without it!

Edited by Imptress

This perfume has such a lovely, comforting, soft scent. Almost like baby powder, but a grown up version. Maybe more of a soft fruity talcum powder sort of smell. Something that makes you feel safe. It lasts a long time too, I can still smell it about eight hours later.

And, it works. I wore this to work/school today because yesterday I had a run in with another student who was threatening me and yelling at me because I wouldn't let him borrow a video (I'm administering a bar-review course this summer, while also studying for the bar - hence the work/school designation.) I was afraid he would be back at class today, and felt I needed any help I could get. And even though he didn't show up, I still got great results! The girl who sits in front of me and has spent all summer complaning about everything about the course and blaming me for anything that goes wrong spent the whole day laughing and joking with me. I just wish I'd known about this scent earlier on in the summer, it would have saved me lots of bad days. Thanks, Beth. I am completely in awe of (and greatful for) your talent. :P

First Impression: High John the Conqueror at first sniff is more like High John cleaning fluid.

Second Impression: It's not unpleasant, but I can't seem to get past the cleaning fluid stage.

Final Analysis: I'm going to test this out in an appropriate situation to get the voodoo benefits from it. I will post my impressions when I do.

I put High John the Conqueror on both wrists this morning as I was leaving for work. Immediately, I felt awake and alert. Normally, it takes me about an hour of actually being at work to wake up and get going.

So far, I feel very centered and capable, and am really listening to my own instinct regarding choices that I have to make today. Just generally walking tall.

I have worn perfume to work before with no comment from my coworkers, but this one is drawing people to me. It's really strange, because my coworkers are relatively serious scientists, few of whom wear any makeup or perfume.

I think it smells like fresh herbs...not like food, but like pretty green grassy stuff, it's a little musky or spicy or ambery, too...if there are grapes, they are white...High John is very pleasant and bright. Golden-greenish...Gold with slight green and white undertones.

(...later...)

I just have to add something about High John.

I asked last week at work if I could order a new keyboard. I got a *very* grudging 'yes'. Today, I got the ok to order a whole new computer. I didn't even have to ask.

Edited by glampyre

Today was my my first day of work. I woke up this morning to a dead alarm clock -- power was out all over the city due to storms. Not today, I thought, panicked.

I got out of bed. I put on High John the Conqueror. I breathed in deeply, and then thought, Okay, I'm going to just DO this. A true sense of "pick up, dust off, and get things done" came over me. I managed to get ready in the near-complete darkness, got to work on time feeling good about my outfit/hair/etc., and felt energized as I met my new colleagues and started to learn the ropes. I felt confident about reaching out to people, and I felt really welcomed and accepted -- like I belonged there. Unbelievable. Do I attribute it all to this oil? No. But this oil, it's calming, empowering scent, and what it represented to me inspired me to take on its attributes as my own. I was going to power though adversity and inconvenience and make things work out, no matter what!

As for the scent -- it's maddeningly hard to describe. At first it smells a bit fruity and sunny, but there's an almost spicy -- but not quite, because it's so dusky -- warmth behind it. The scent is muted and round, but very long-lasting on me. Throughout the day, I kept getting whiffs of something warm and ever-so-slightly sweet, and it would take me a moment to realize it was High John.

I love this. I am so greatful I had it on hand. I can see wearing this to work every day. Must get a big bottle.

Edited to add: It now has been nearly a year and a half since my first day of work, when High John came to the rescue, and I STILL reach for this oil whenever I have to confront something difficult or intimidating on the job. I have started affectionately calling it "asshole repellant," because it makes dealing with certain difficult and demanding personalities in my professional life so much easier, and I swear, when I wear this, I ALWAYS come away from those scary situations feeling like I've done a good job and impressed the people I need to impress. This is a very strong personal-power oil for me, and I'm very greatful to Beth for creating it.

Edited by summer

I had a situation at work that seemed insurmountable. People were making judgements of me without knowing any facts and I thought some major bad stuff would go down. I annointed my pentacle pendant with High John, asking for protection and to look better in the eyes of my superiors, then went in to work. Amazingly, my boss apologised to me and the situation ended in a most positive way I never expected.

I LOVE High John. It does exactly what it's meant to do. I seriously cannot live without Beth's voodoo oils. I am totally bummed that some are being discontinued.

In the vial, all I can smell is bubblegum. I think there's lotus in here...

On me, High John smacks of lemon and lotus, then settles down into a very astringent lemony soap kind of a scent, and it's very clean and lovely, with just a hint of something wood-spicy behind it.

I like it, and I'll have to wear it to work tomorrow and try out its properties as a voodoo oil.

The first time I tried this one, it seemed to start out unpleasantly fruity and then got unpleasantly soapy; I put it aside. Now I'm trying it again and my reaction is different -- it's still quite soapy, but not harsh or unpleasant. The longer it's on my skin, the more it softens, and it seems to be turning slightly powdery. While I probably still wouldn't pick it for its scent alone, I kind of like it now. As for its other properties, I'll try it out tomorrow -- I could *really* use some luck then.

ETA, next day - Hm. My dreaded, much-postponed, across-town-in-the-rain, inconveniently-timed afternoon appointment... just called and cancelled.

Edited by Lido

Bubbly and fruity. Doesn't last very long, though. I had to give a class presentation today, and was scared shitless beforehand, but I think I did pretty well when I got up there. Effect of the "voodoo" scent? I do not know.

2nd day: very grape Kool-aid. Mmmm.

[This actually isn't as grape Kool-Aid as, say, Lilith.]

Edited by evil_laugher

I must agree with anybody who wrote "grapes". That's exactly what I got upon first dab on the wrist.

It does soften out to a clean scent, but that fruity sweetness does linger.

There's grape there and some frankincense maybe(?). Some sopyiness as well.

I am used to different formulations of High John in terms of smell (one with frank, myhrr and dragonsblood with a hint of cinnamon and another that's just plain sweet), but in term sof magickal efficacy--i put some on my husband's cash before he went to a poker game and he came back with 4.2x the amount he put in the pot,plus his original money. :D

I also touched the cash with some Wolf's Heart, so it wasn't a 100% controlled experiement, but I'm not complaining. :P

I too got grapes when I first applied High John the Conqueror, with an underlying bubble gum sweetness that makes me wonder if there could be lotus in this. The overall impression is that of a sweet, soapy blend underscored by something thick and resiney.

It gets soapier and soapier as time goes by, almost a bit sharp but not unpleasant at all. Since this is the first time I try it, I have not experienced its Voodoo properties yet, but it definitely feels like an energizing blend that helps you get things done :P

Edited by Ishtar

green, soapy, clean and a little herbal. This is another of the voodoo blends that went a little wierd on me and I smelled like upper class baby powder after a bit. It reminded me of the little bars of soap in hotel rooms sadly. I wonder if I used these properly if they'd work better, but chemistry wise most of the voo doo blends just dislike me.

This was a freebie from the Lab.

In the imp: Herbal, green & soapy.

Wet: Very soapy. It reminds me of cleaning fluid.

Drydown: *sniffs* This becomes very powdery. I'm not sure this is something I'd wear as a perfume, per se, but that's not really what it's meant for.

Final thoughts: I do feel very energized wearing this, however. I'll have to see how it affects my productivity.

I got High John the Conquerer as a freebie from the Lab (thanks!).

Funny, I don't get any grape from this, and typically on my skin, grape likes to boldly declare its presence. It is strongly soapy and sort of herbally green during the wet stage, but these elements back down a bit as the scent dries down. It becomes a little sweet and vaguely spicy as well. As other reviewers have stated, it's a well-rounded scent with no sharp edges. It does make me feel more confident, more capable, and the first time I wore it, my boss was very complimentary to me about my work (and he had been an asshole just a week prior). I don't think that I would wear it on a regular basis, but I'll keep an imp around when I need to deal with difficult people.

Sweet and smoky, this is very familiar, but I don't know why. Fruity, like grape wine? Herbal? I thought I caught a whiff of leather and coldness. Now it's gone soapy and clean. Very calming and comforting. This seems like the perfect scent to wear when I need to feel confident and clear-headed.

high john the conqueror....of soap bubbles perhaps?

like t3andcrumpets, i get lemons and soapy smells. sadly, that's it. the the lemon smell disappears almost immediately and the soapy smell gets stronger and stronger as the time wears on then starts to fade away after about 4 hours. as for it's voodoo properties.....i'll have to get back to you on that.

Edited by angelblue

This smells like sweet grapes to me. Grapes, grapes, & more grapes. Very strong when wet on my skin. Unlike many other scents, this one doesn't change or have any variation on me. It smells like grapes, then it fades. I wore this layered over Dragon's Milk, which smell delicious together (think: grapes with spicy cream).

At first, this is extremely strong, fruity, and herbal. Then it goes soft and nice, and then it just goes.

I have had this on for 3 hours, and there's just a hint of light fragrance left. I'm wondering in my TOM is sucking the life out of the blend, or if my sniffer is off. My hands are very icy cold right now, so perhaps that's why?

I liked this when I could smell it, and the aura that's currently left is very pleasant. I will try this as a slather later and see what it does for me Voodoo-wise.

Origin:

I got an imp of this from allamanda a long, long time ago (at least it seems that way). :P

First sniff:

Almost sweet, soapy florals are all I'm getting and it's making my nose burn, but I don't really care as long as it works. :D

Wet on skin:

This smells so familiar to me. I swear I know this scent. It's almost like...that's it: laundry detergent! The powdered kind, like Tide, not the liquid kind. :D

Luckily I actually really like the smell of powdered laundry deteregent, so that's not a bad thing at all. Seriously, though, it's like Tide or something similar. That's actually a rather pleasant surprise. As for whether it works, I do feel more confident wearing this. I have a job interview (kind of - it's more like they'll hire me or they won't without a formal interview) and I need all the confidence I can get. I'm also wearing Has No Hanna, though, so if I get the job I won't be able to say for sure that High John was responsible for it.

Dry down:

Still smells like laundry detergent, but much fainter. It may be making my head hurt, but I can't tell because I already had a headache when I put this on - it's either aggravating my headache and making it worse or my headache is just getting worse on its own. I can't tell.

The bottom line:

So, does it work? The answer is yes, apparently. I got the job in spite of their not really needing anyone new and I don't think I've ever felt so confident about something so nerve-wracking before. :D