Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

High John the Conqueror

A fast-acting, powerful scent used to overcome adversity through positive means. Attracts wealth, prestige, good health, and enhances others’ opinions of you. Grants courage and steadfastness.

Soft and sweet and just a LITTLE bit floral. I really love this. Although, I have to point out- I received a bottle of this from a friend that was rather aged and IMMEDIATELY loved it. But then I got a frimp from the lab and EEEWWWWW not so good. So I packed the frimp away in a dark place to let it age for awhile. Strange, very strange. But really I love this scent from my nicely aged bottle.

I need all the confidence and "go-get-'em" attitude that I can get right now, as the work and money situation has reached a critical point... if something doesn't change soon, there will be serious ramifications, and my confidence is shot. I ordered an imp of High John hoping and praying for it's miraculous voodoo properties.

So far, no luck on that front. Sigh. I'll give it one more try, though. I'm guessing that it has not had its desired effect because wearing it does not help my confidence in the slightest. It smelled of lemony cleaning products on me-- a weird burnt lemon scent, and then faded away entirely.

I keep reading that it is better aged. On one hand I'm curious to try that, but on the other, I'm not convinced that it would work on me aged, either. I get a lemony/popcorn/powder effect from several BPALs, but I haven't pinpointed the culprit ingredient yet. While I don't get the popcorn/powder aspect from High John, I suspect that I would if aged, since I think that mystery ingredient is lurking in here.

I'll update if I get any different effect when I try it a second time.

I could certainly use some help through adversity right now, so I added this to my last order.

Wet: Ew. EW! Oh, my god, ew. What is that?! Maybe it'll be better on.

Wet, on skin: *gack* On me, it smells like cat pee and basement. I'm not kidding. Maybe it'll be better dry.

Dry, on skin: Okay, now it smells like milder cat pee, but the basement and...pencil shavings?? are coming through.

I've never had something react like this on my skin. I know it's just my chemistry. A friend tried it and it was much calmer on her. Me, I had to scrub my skin twice to get it off. WHAT is in this--someone tell me so I can avoid it in the future. Bummer, I really could use some good mojo!

ETA: After re-reading everyone else's reviews, I wonder if there's something wrong with my imp. I get absolutely none of the notes other people are mentioning. I've given it to several people to smell and to try and it's unanimous. No grape, no floral, nothing sweet or green about it in any way whatsoever.

Edited by galleywest

I could certainly use some help through adversity right now, so I added this to my last order.

Wet, on skin: *gack* On me, it smells like cat pee and basement. I'm not kidding. Maybe it'll be better dry.

Dry, on skin: Okay, now it smells like milder cat pee, but the basement and...pencil shavings?? are coming through.

I've never had something react like this on my skin. I know it's just my chemistry. A friend tried it and it was much calmer on her. Me, I had to scrub my skin twice to get it off. WHAT is in this--someone tell me so I can avoid it in the future. Bummer, I really could use some good mojo!

ETA: After re-reading everyone else's reviews, I wonder if there's something wrong with my imp. I get absolutely none of the notes other people are mentioning. I've given it to several people to smell and to try and it's unanimous. No grape, no floral, nothing sweet or green about it in any way whatsoever.

Galleywest, it's not just you. I really wanted this to work for me, but on me it is unimaginably awful. On me there is something like dusty, rotting wood. The only connection with grapes I can make is possibly being trapped in a winery basement. :P

I have friends who love this, so I dunno what's going on. I am so sad! :D

Maybe if I age it?

Edited to add: I thought maybe it was just that imp, so I acquired another one, and it's just the same on me. :D

Edited by pamplemousse

Wet: Wow..grapes! *tries not to chew on hand*

Dry down: o...something else in coming through with the grapes. Not sure what, but so far this is yummy.

Dry: OK, the grapes are still there, and it makes this smell just like grape hard candies. I'll give this one a go on days I need a pick-me-up and see if it works.

5 out of 10

In the imp: Very dry and herbal, with a destinct vetiver note.

Wet: The vetiver is there, held in check by a sweeter note. It's a plump, juicy fruit note. Currant? Cherry? Not sure, but it's an interesting and unique combination. A few minutes later, the juiciness fades and this is a dry, herbal, slightly spicy blend. Is that lemon I smell? Very dry, tart lemon.

Dry: Dry lemon and vetiver. Strange.

In the Bottle: Green and dirty, I like it.

On Me: So hard to pin down! It warms up a bit, but I can't pick out any notes. It goes well with everything and gets a little more resin-y as the day wears on (I had had Irish Breakfast tea and some oatmeal for breakfast, and somehow, this imp complimented them and gave me a sense of comfort).

"Results": Certainly not what I was expecting. I definitely overcame some adversity, however it was a whole lot of adversity in very little time. It was overwhelming. I fought with some medical officials over my health and ended up getting through and being very upset. I also had an incident occur with a guy at work (we've had prior issues) that ended up with a report being filed and him getting a smack down. Again, an emotional day. So, things getting sorted out, however my emotional self is feeling run down.

In the imp: Grassy

Wet: Herbs and grass. Fresh hay.

Dry: Spicy herbs. I could have sworn I got a whiff of cinnamon. Definitely not something I would wear for scent's sake but if this works its magic, then I will be getting a bottle.

I agree - I'm getting nasty vetiver and something else rotten smelling - no grape, no floral, maybe some bitter herbs, but an unpleasant smell all around. It smelled off in the vial, and didn't improve much on the skin. I'll hang on to it for a while and let it age, but in just anything I've tried vetiver really amps and overwhelms everything else, so I don't know if aging will help any.

in vial. nice and mellow

wet. this smells like something old. I know I mention my Grandfather alot in my reviews, but when blends smell of something very old it reminds me of him and the different scents in his bathroom cabinet. From tonics to cologne, from toothpaste and mouth wash. It was a completely different era and I love remembering it.

later. aged perfume, not necessarily feminine.

Wet, this blend smacks of bright golden woods, herbs, and clean air. I get none of the grape references, but perhaps i can't identify a grape note if i smell it. :D

On the drydown, the freshness remains, and the goldenness mellows into a smooth, sweet shimmer. :P This scent is long lasting, and has good throw.

Honestly, I haven't noticed any behavioral effects on others, but I get a nice little boost of energy when I wear it. The bf and I share this one, which is fun!

Sorry, John, but this just isn't working out. It's not you, it's my chemistry.

This smells like flower medicine on me, and it's unpleasant. :P

I am surprised to read that this blend disagrees with so many. To me it smells clean and fresh, like soap. It's a very thick soap though, and is a little bit sticky feeling on the skin. It does have a bit of a grape smell to me, but it is very faint. Overall I like this one very much!

In The Bottle

Ylang ylang

On Application

Ylang ylang

Dry Down

Ylang ylang plus ylang ylang and then some more ylang ylang on top. Ugh!

Rating (0-5)

This smells mega sweet on me, like a bouquet of spring flowers dipped in sugar. I can't pin it down to any particular flower. I don't smell grapes exactly but the green sweetness does approximate it. It's soapy at first but that dissipates quickly. I don't get anything earthy even though High John (the root) is supposed to smell like that. It doesn't have much throw but it lasts forever on me (10+ hours). It's not my favorite, and I think I would like to layer the sweetness with another spicy BPAL. The results however ...

I didn't try this out on anyone I was trying to impress, but it worked on me like herbal Klonopin. I have a deadline Friday, and things are going slower than I'd like but I was pretty relaxed about it. I didn't get too frustrated or anxious about anything. I just steadily found my way around the problem to a solution. I will definitely try this out for my next meeting and probably my next dr appt as well.

ADDED Aug. 17:

I liked the fruity scent of this and loved the effect on my concentration and peace of mind so I ordered a bottle. :P Unfortunately the bottle smells like woody bathroom cleaner. :D Now that I read that HJtC ages into that sweet blend, I will check it again in a couple of months.

I have no idea what is in this blend! When I sniff it I think there might be vetiver, patchouli and a touch of sandalwood. I have been wearing it all morning and feel very good even though I've only been at home.

I don't mind the scent at all. It might be nice layered with Aunt Caroline's Joy Mojo, too. I'll definately use it when I need help, health and wealth.

imp: a grapey scent with a strong/sharp herby floral note.

wet: the grape scent stays put but the insane, strong herby/floral scent amps like crazy.

dry: no grape anymore just an old perfumy scent.

in the imp: strong, sweet, powerful. reminds me of hemp hair oil, good for dreading.

wet on skin: same, but with a slight touch of citrus around the edges.

dry down: same.

in all: a powerful oil for use in magicks of all kinds, this High John has the double bonus of being powerful *and* smelling divine. must have!

:P

It didn't really smell like much on me. Faint green if I sniffed really hard. Maybe my nose was tired and overwhelmed but all in all, I'm putting this one in the swap pile without the slightest hesitation.

I was so curious about High John when I received him in a group of imps. What I've been getting from wet all through dry is light, sweet, powerful lily-of-the-valley. Very pretty! Makes me feel like a southern belle ready to face the world. Makes me smile to smell it. Very nice floral! Just the right throw as opposed to New Orleans - it doesn't bash you over the head with scent, just rides lightly over your skin in a soft cloud. This is a keeper!

In the Bottle

Floral. It’s not a sweet floral, it’s a dry almost bitter floral.

On My Skin

It’s still a floral but now I’m getting a little bit of a citrus hint. This is a very clean, fresh smelling oil. In the background if I sniff my wrist I’m also getting a woodsy type smell. It sounds strange, but so far it smells pretty good.

After a Bit

After about an hour an and half the intensity of the smell has died down. It’s still a very clean, refreshing floral smell with a tiny bit of wood to keep it from being a sweet smell. It’s pretty faint at this point but is still lovely.

Rating 1-5 (5 being the best)

Scent – 4 Throw – 2 Longevity – 3.5 (lasted about 5 hours)

Over all – 3.5

Final Thoughts

I really like the smell of this when first applied, it’s really lovely. As for it’s magical abilities I can’t really vouch for those, I’ve been home alone working on my homework and checking out some of my favorite internet sites. I’d love to try this on a day where I’ve got a lot going on at work and school. But even if it doesn’t help out with wealth and prestige, I still adore the scent.

I got the grapey version of High John--very sweet grapes, ripe and close to fermentation. Really a bit too cloying; it would be interesting to smell the more herbal/vetiver version!

i get no grapes or anything other than strong powdery soap. this smells exactly like a perfume i've smelled before but can't name it now. Oscar de la Renta?. . . i'll update this if i find that scent.

In bottle: Chalky and pungent, dark green and herbal. Wet: Sharp and vaguely smokey, it’s not entirely pleasant to the nose, but not unbearable. Mintlike without being minty. There is a hint of decay. It wouldn’t surprise me if this had vetiver in it. Dry: Or not. It’s surprisingly pleasant on the dry down, with a pleasantly dusty almost insensey smell. Weirdly comforting where once it was sharp and disturbing.

I wore this today... not really loving it. The smell for the first hour was really strong and pungent... no grapes for me. Just something that almost made my eyes water. After an hour or so, it got fainter and I was able to tolerate it. Now, 6 hours later, I can barely smell it at all.

As far as any properties, I've been teary all day. Might be hormones, but I was hoping for the 'courage to overcome adversity' part to come through...