Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Black musk, bay rum, lime fougere, orange blossom water, gin, and tobacco.

I mostly got a nice blend of bay rum, lime, and gin. After a while whiffs of tobacco and musk did make an appearence. Overall, this is a great blend. And I'm considering a backup bottle for when the carnival leaves town.

Phenomenal, and definitely recommended for other men into smelling good.

The scent is deep, dark and masculine, goes well with a bowler hat and a clove cigarette. The black musk stands out, but isn't musky when I think of the word musk.

I find it rather hard to pin down the individual notes, instead there's a single glowing smell that lasts most of the day.

Makes me want to: drink backstage at a cabaret.

In the imp: Oooh, this is nice! I'm getting lime, gin and bay rum. Sort of smells like Kumiho's sexy, dangerous bad-boy ex.

Wet: Oh man, this is GORGEOUS. Lime, bay rum and the slightest dash of sugar. Behind that, there's smoke and something I can only really describe as male body heat. Absolutely delicious.

Dry: The booze note is definitely being amped now, with the lime fading a little. The tobacco is swaggering all over the place, and I'm pretty surprised to find that I actually LIKE it, since tobacco and I don't get along well. This is fantastically well blended, and very, very sexy. I really wasn't expecting to like it quite as much as I do, since I don't typically go for unisex/masculine scents. I'd quite happily wear this, and would ADORE my boy to wear it too.

I thought the black musk, bay rum, , orange blossom water, gin, and tobacco sounded OK; but what is lime fougere?

Impression: Bright; tobacco; manly; musk?

Hmm, I don't get any tobacco or musk. What I get is a soap and vetiver. Probably the orange blossom and musk, which I'm translating to vetiver for some reason. A bit too masculine for me, and I don't like it enough to try it out on my guy, so off to the swaps pile with ya!

Oh, I had hoped for lime. I had read that other people got lime, my favoritest of favorite notes. *sigh*

Imp: Smoke. Lots of smokey tobacco. And the tang of something alcoholic.

Wet: Whoa musk. Loads of musk. And really not good musk. I started coughing after taking a big whiff. Please, lime, start to show through!

Dry: Hello alcohol. Lots of it. The gin and the rum mix together, giving this a very boozy scent. Alas, still no lime. And the musk is still there, strong underneath it all.

Definitely not for me. I'm glad I got to try it though. Let's see if the Boy or a friend wants it.

Huh, this went generic men's cologne on me. I wasn't really expecting that. The gin lent a sharpness I didn't much care for to tell the truth. The bay rum and lime were standout notes on my skin, and the tobacco showed up in the dry down to add a smoky sweetness. Nice, but not really me.

Initially, black musk, lime, and rum on my skin. I pick up the orange blossom note on dry down. Dries down to a less sinister black musk, rum, and orange scent on my skin.

Wow, THAT is what booze smells like in perfume form. Dang. I get a lot of juniper and tobacco. I don't get the sickly-sweetness that bay rum tends to go on me. This is ALL man. Yikes. No lime to speak of.

It doesn't really change much, so there's not much to say. The booziness dries up and leaves bone-dry man-musk. I wish my boyfriend was at ALL willing to wear BPAL, because it would probably be DELICIOUS on him!

The notes all sounded like they should combine to make magic on my skin, but unfortunately this turns out way too masculine on me, as scents intended to be masculine often do. I expected it to be more dominent on the booze and musk, like a smoky-sweet booze, but it turned out extremely smoky on my skin with some very manly musk and booze and a hint of lime in the background and no trace of the orange blossom water. I can tell this would be sexy on a guy, but I couldn't pull it off.

Edited by Invidiana

Men men men men .... yep , this is one manly perfume oil we have here . Seriously , not sure if many ladies could " pull this one off " or not . This is a fairly aged bottle , so your mileage may vary . In the bottle , I'm mainly getting booze . However , upon application , the musk & citrus notes are coming out as well . This one is quite sweet smelling . Probably the combo of musk , rum & tobacco . This has a decent throw to it as well . But you need to hover over it to get the orange & lime . Further out you mainly get booze , maybe some musk . I like this one quite a bit , but will assume it really isn't for everyone .

At least a hour later ... I'm pretty much not getting any orange now , just a tiny hint of the lime . So this is now pretty much booze & musk . I still like it , but it was better with the citrus to cut the heavier notes .

Edited by CoopieCat

I close my eyes and there I am in a smoky, busy pub in the 1930's or 1940's. A place where Al Capone and his Boys would go to kick back.
There is so much going on here that you hardly notice a Man leaning up against a wall towards the back, puffing on a fat Cigar without a care in the world.
His black hair is slicked back and you can't help but be lured in by the devilish look in his eye. His dark pinstripe suit is crisp and without a single wrinkle.
He is dangerous, that is obvious. You don't want trouble with this Guy but he beckons you to him and before you know it your letting him buy you a drink. Then another..

Oh Knucklebones...

In the bottle you open the top and out comes a sharp zest of lime! In the back round slinks the black musk and booze.
On the skin? A masculine black musk. And what's that im getting here as it softens up? Clove?
Im glad the lime decided to go into hiding when rubbed into the skin. If it stayed that sharp like when it was in the bottle I probably wouldn't have been able to wear it.

I really enjoy this one. Though I have to say it would be much more suited to the type of Gentleman mentioned above. ;) Oh my. Sexy, sexy.

Edited by MoonlitWolf

What!

A unisex blend I can wear? A unisex blend I absolutely love on my skin? Yes!!

On me, Knucklebones has a fabulous fizzy gin/lime and sweet orange blossom top over a gorgeous black musk/tobacco base. I freaking love it.

This will get heavy rotation in the Summer months. :wub2:

A clean handsome man, with a bottle of spiced rum in his hand and a sigar in his other? Is that weird? :P

I think the lime fougere makes this feel a bit fuzzy, like you're also drunk with this guy in a well-padded-with-cushions-room.

Neutral, but leaning towards masculine (would work well on anyone though)! Man I love bpal's rum note.

Thick, dark, sexy, fuzzy and clean.

In the Vial:

Black musk and lime

On the Skin:

Black musk held back by tobacco and with the lime adding a nice cut-through. The bay rum adds it's distictive robust note but doesn't take over. The orange blossom eventually adds a little sweetness

On the Drydown:

There is almost a gourmand cakiness to this which is unexpected. I'm not a fan of the lime which remains fairly consistent in the blend. It's quite nice but not really for me.

Ugh, generic clean guy smell. There's a soap that this reminds me of. I don't even pick up the citrus and other notes people mention. Ugh, it just gets worse as it dries, it becomes sweeter and more cloying. This is the kind of smarmy guy you want to punch in the face.

(2017)

Expectation: Sexy Smoky Cocktail

Wet: Sinister with a wink. I literally just said “OHooooooooh” out loud. And that's the throaty, deep-voiced kind of oooh, not that high-pitched shit used for pandering. Hold on, please. I need a minute with this one… okay. Whew. This is all black, ashy shadows splashed with gin. I'm definitely gonna enjoy this dance.

Drydown: The greenness comes out, but it’s shrouded in darkness. Lime sweetened by orange blossom, then tobacco. The lime is sweet, almost candied, and the tobacco curls into the black musk to form a beautiful, shadowy cloud. I’m catching just a hint of gin at the edges, giving it a dry, dangerous bite.

Dry: Each note is present and balanced. Black musk takes the lead, fusing with smoky, sinister tobacco. Sweet lime and orange blossom hover at the sides, adding just enough brightness to drive the blend forward. The gin hangs back, waiting to bite when you’re least expecting it. And the bay rum, all tingly and delicious, stands in the center, hiding beneath the shroud of shadow, holding the blend together.

8.5 out of 10 bones

This is much more sharp and aquatic than I was expecting. I can definitely smell the lime and gin, and it's a strong cologne-type scent, almost bordering on Lysol-y. I don't see myself reaching for this one, but I might see if my boyfriend wants it.