Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Water of Notre Dame

Brings peace to the spirit, a sense of calm and fulfillment, and attracts the aid of beneficial spirits.

Very similar to Dirty, in my mind. There's a slightly greener edge to it. Light flowing green as others were talking about. It weakens quickly but makes me feel fresh & new while it's there.

In Imp: strong scent of orange peel/rind, light florals perhaps orange blossoms

On Wet: strong scent of citrus, florals (really smells like oranges and orange blossoms to me, like my tree)

On Dry: still citrus and florals with a slight powdery note, musk, and woods

This scent's dry down reminds me of Sung in some ways. It's a very nice scent.

I agree with the "stout" assessment. It's not very heavy, per se, but it'll linger. To me this smells like a hippy-dippy, rose-based perfume I once bought at a mall in Oregon. I'm not feeling the aquatic undertones, but it does alright with just the green topnotes. Not something I would buy in a bottle (since I still have that hippy-dippy rose stuff), but worth a shot if you're looking for something relatively long-lasting, light and non-musky.

In The Imp: I barely smelled anything. Had me worried at first - I read lots of reviews talking about how strong this oil is and I was wondering if I'd get the exception to the rule.

Immediate Application: Like a softer version of Ophelia. I get lots of watery rose, maybe some lily? Hard to tell, my nose isn't very well trained yet. Either way, I agree on the green comments - it's a water garden of blues, greens, whites, stone-grays and maybe a touch of pink. It's slightly soapy on me, but I'm not one that minds soapy scents - just makes me feel like I smell even more clean.

30 Minutes Later: This isn't as overwhelmingly strong on me - I definitely have to use more than a dab. It's lovely, though.

Effectiveness: I got this oil because I suffer from very serious anxiety issues. On good days, it's a constant low-level hum of worries that I can at least push to the side to focus or distract myself from. On bad days? Well - let's just say my nerves are shot enough that I can't do much more than just stew in it until I get sick.

It may be a placebo effect, but I definitely calm down quite a bit with this oil. I've had a weekend from Hell this week that culminated in a pretty epic meltdown last night, and while this is no magical cure-all (and I wasn't expecting it to be), it helps me step back a bit and breathe through the anxiety. It also helps loosen (though not completely undo) the knots in my stomach. I'm still anxious, but it's at a more tolerable level now.

Verdict: Want a bottle of this, maybe 2 or 3. I'll definitely use up the imp.

Edited by lavenderfrost

I found this one to be a little disconcerting, because I'm used to finding a gentle, watery scent of this sort in the form of a diluted eau de toilette that's sprayed on liberally like, well, water. And this is so concentrated! It doesn't necessarily smell that strong in the vial, but once it's on skin, you sure know it. On me it eventually dries to a soft, powdery, grassy rose. Not what I was expecting, though it's a good surprise, because I can't usually do anything described as aquatic/ozone-y. Whatever "aquatic" this includes seems to be different from "marine notes", though.

In the bottle: lemons (or maybe limes) and a clear water, like some lovely summer cocktail. it smells very refreshing, like it's meant for summer. very citrus, which could turn sour on some people, but I'm hoping this one will just stay cool and collected on my skin. *fingers crossed* here's hoping!

On my skin: light green, more lemons and limes, and a waterfall of clear-as-a-bell spring water. it's just so refreshing. the citrus-like atmosphere of it sort of reminds me of the clear green notes in The Dormouse (from Mad Tea Party), but less herbal. this is very watery and only a little bit sweet. unfortunately has a tendency to turn a bit soapy as it dries.

Last thoughts: slightly frustrated by the vague description in the catalog (I wanna know what notes work on me!), but I'm SO glad I tried this one! seems perfect for summer and long hot days with no breeze.

Edited by frecklestars

I had a lot of fun trying to identify the unnamed ingredients in this one. Violet and lily are definitely present, with a green reedy vegetal undertone and an incredible freshwater aquatic note - very different from the citrus-like tang of ozone or the saltiness of ambergris and sea moss, but evoking water all the same. It makes me think of sitting by a pond in the summer, watching the wind blow through the rushes, the water-lilies glow in the sunlight, and catfish darting in and out of secret nooks beneath the water. Beautiful.

I'm not sure if I believe in the voodoo capacities of the oils, but I do find Water of Notre Dame to be cheerful and soothing. I got a lot of wear out of it during the winter when I needed a reminder that summer is just around the corner.

Four out of five stars.

This was a frimp from the Lab. Thanks, Lab!

In the imp -- very green and soapy

Wet -- a green fresh scent, with Ivory soap

Dry -- starts to pick up a bitter edge, almost burnt smelling. Still soapy.

Not for me.

What an amazing scent...delicate, spiritual, comforting. I can't describe the notes though. Aquatic is a good word for it...

ANYWAY, it's great. I only wear it on super-special spiritual occasions (My cousin's wedding for example, which was tear-inducingly romantic and wonderful)

or when I am feeling really creeped out, disturbed, upset and surrounded by negative energy--it lifts me up and cleanses me, and I feel safe and OK. For this reason I am SOOOOOO glad to have this scent!! :D :D

This one was a frimp :smile:

I tried this on before going to work one day and my overall impressions were that it was very watery and green. It comes across as quite an oceany fragrance. If you like aquatic, clean smelling scents then you will probably like Water of Notre Dame.

I didnt get much of the aquatic note on this one, mostly rose, lily and other florals. Its bright and green as well and VERY strong. It was not a very peaceful scent for me, due to the overwhelming florals, but will keep this as a amazing generic floral oil.

I usually hate the very light/white/green/soapy/floral aquatics and they hate me right back, but wow, this is so different, and it's a little frustrating I don't know why because I can't suss out the notes. I get a lovely pale glassy green from this, maybe a green-blue, lilies, watery tones, but nothing soapy or sharp about it. Usually I can't wear these scents at all, and my skin amps green notes like it's my job, but this is gorgeous, pale, pretty, and very soothing. It reminds me of Lyonesse, Glasgow, Venice, Sea of Glass, and a few other light florals I really like (maybe Muse and Danube?), but there's something special about this one. I can't order a bottle now but it is definitely going high on my "must buy a bottle when not completely broke" list. Maybe there's a faint cucumber note in it? but it's not bitter.....It really is amazing.

Beautiful fresh green pool of water with a touch of citrus. Fades very quickly on me. It almost smells like your own natural scent, like it blends in with your own chemistry. I really like this, we'll see how the working qualities are. I may spring for a bottle if it's good in that respect.

Wet: Watery rose with a hint of a bright fruit.

Drydown: Light rose and some sort of citrus - bergamot maybe. A hint of violet is coming through too. For a moment it verges on soapy and then it sweetens and brightens enough to come back from that.

Dry: Violets over citrus-splashed roses and perhaps some light herbs. Clean and misty.

6 out of 10 bones

Edited by BoneBone24

In the bottle - Sweet lightly sugared roses

Wet on me - Soft roses and orange peel

Dry on me - A soft slightly green, slightly sweet floral

Overall - Delicate and pretty and not really me

Wet: Citrus-y auqatic

Dry: Very powdery! (hint of aquatics.)

It's also very potent. Quite unwearable for me due to the sharp powdery turn. Quite a shame because I really liked what it smelled like when wet. :(

I got this as a frimp in my first BPAL order (over a year ago). I have worn it a handful of times, not giving it much thought other than viewing it as a pleasant aquatic scent.

Today, however, I read the Lab's description and the reviews here, which prompted me to give the scent more thought.

It is an extremely strong scent, which my slightly weak nose is not complaining about. On the bottle (not in, the scent really is that strong), it has a strange aroma, with a note that I can't place continuing to remind me of Irish Breakfast tea.

In the imp, it is herbal and aquatic, with a sweetish citrus edge to it. However, it immediately morphs when it is on the skin, becoming far more aquatic and powdery. The citrus dies down, and the herbs morph to florals. I agree with an earlier reviewer, darkling, and their comparison to rosewater, but the florals are more complex to me. There is rose, yes (a similar rose to Alice, actually), but there are violet notes and perhaps even a little of lavender's astringency. But this is floral water, not flowers, and the blend is strongly aquatic. It is also a very cool scent, which further reinforces the aquatic notes.

As the perfume dries down, it becomes sweeter, but doesn't morph much other than the huge change when it is first applied to skin.

My skin has been downright eating scents lately (I have no idea why), and I sadly did not experience the huge staying power other reviews have mention. I also don't view the oil as particularly calming, and I wonder how much of this is because of a lack of preconceived notions from the Lab's description. Instead, I would describe Water of Notre Dame as 'refreshing'. I prefer my 'calming' scents to be more along the lines of comforting, with warmer notes. However, I do see how others could easily view this as such a relaxing scent.

Overall, this was a very lovely floral/aquatic scent. At least for the half hour it lasted.

I received this as a frimp with a recent BPTP order, and advice given other places on this forum bears repeating: THIS IS WHY YOU SKIN TEST EVERYTHING.

I don't do aquatics, they don't like my skin chemistry. I want to like them, they turn harsh and weird on my skin after smelling fab in the bottle. But this....

Water of Notre Dame is aquatic in a sort of dew-drenched grass and flowers and growing things kind of way. I'm terrible at identifying florals, and it's all so blended.....lilies? Roses? Lovely. Others have said citrus and violets, and I could see that too. But this is one of those BPAL oils that takes your mind to a very specific location and mental state, this is not just perfume.

Water of Notre Dame is walking up to a beautiful house, on a quiet street, with a large well tended lawn and flowers growing out front. Everything is perfectly trimmed and weeded, but not overly landscaped. Inside, the house is airy and full of natural light, with cool flagstone leading to lush carpets. Most rooms are in a serene shade of pale green and the decor perfectly straddles the line between modern and classic by just looking clean and simple. Inside the house is immaculately clean, but still extremely welcoming. There is no clutter to jangle the nerves, but you still know that you are perfectly welcome to stretch out on any couch and relax. You can smell laundry drying somewhere in another part of the house, a few potted plants growing, but no artificial air fresheners. And woven through everything, the faint scent of a classic lady's perfume. She wears just a subtle application, but she's worn it every day for years and years and the ghost of that perfume has suffused the house as well.

It's quiet and serene, and you really just want to stay here permanently.

So now that I've written all that, when I say that Water of Notre Dame smells like my grandmother's house did, I hope you can take my full meaning. Thank you Beth and the lab, for making me relaxed and happy and on the verge of tears.

This was a frimp from my lovely Dragon Con fairy.

In the imp: Fresh, watery florals. Perhaps lilies?—that would suit the name.

Wet: Floral. There may be rose here in addition to the lily, but if so, it’s not strong. I also get a very faint hint of a bubble-gum note, which reminds me of Aunt Caroline’s Joy Mojo: is it possible that a little of what’s in that is also in Water of Notre Dame?

Dry: This is stronger than I expected considering the wateriness of the smell in the imp. Considering that I rarely seek out florals, this is very pleasant. I agree with earlier reviews that the water note here is aquatic without being marine.

Water of Notre Dame really did make me feel calmer. It’s been a very busy week at work, so this frimp came at an opportune time. While today wasn’t quite as busy, and thus stressful, as earlier in the week, I still think I needed all the calming qualities I can get. Wearing Water of Notre Dame, I felt warm and relaxed, rather than tense, as I went about my work. I’ll definitely keep it around for future use on stressful days.

I had been curious to try this, and had hoped a frimp would come my way, so thank you, Con Fairy!

Imp: Pretty aquatic. Little bit of citrus, little bit floral.

Wet: Powdery. There's a bit of an aquatic floral thing still going on, but it's mostly baby powder. I'm hoping this figures itself out, because this smelled so promising in the imp! It's also quite faint, it's got barely any throw to it, I've really got to push my nose up against my wrists to find it.

Dry: Very, very faint vaguely baby powder citrus aquatic if I really look for it. But it's basically gone.

A bit disappointed. I've seen lots of comparisons between this and my beloved DC'd Ophelia. In the imp I can spot the similarities - they're both pretty, aquatic florals! This one never gets there for me, though. My skin turns it to baby powder, and then eats it. Swap pile to see if someone else's skin can do it justice.

I have no idea why... This blend is better than any sleep blend by bpal, heck better than Nocturne (TAL) at getting me to sleep.. And sleep, and sleep. I have a hard time getting myself out of bed even. I seriously just pass out.

All that said, this is lovely and yes, floral aquatic.

Water of Notre Dame starts out with a watery floral I don't recognize, along with possibly some lily, and morphs into a rose. It's kind of soapy, and I think it should be! I feel really cleansed wearing this. I don't think it'll be an everyday scent for me, but it's pleasant and I'll definitely keep it for its magical properties. And I definitely appreciate an aquatic that's not an ozone.

ETA: In subsequent wears, I've noticed an effervescent citrus note in the first few minutes.

ETA 2: Apparently, something in this irritates both my skin and my BF's allergies. Ritual use only, I guess. :(

Edited by lady_pandora

Picked this one up based on recommendations that this was a good summer perfume in terms of longevity and throw (and because I was raised as an old school Catholic in Louisiana). Initially, I had a hard time distinguishing any notes other than watery cucumber. After about an hour it smelled predominantly of an old fashioned rose based floral perfume. Not my style.