Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
slythwitch

News about forums

Hi all,

When I had the idea for these forums in mid January, I was eager to host them on my site. I had nearly 400 megabytes of space and was only using half of that, and mostly only for personal/testing purposes and as a place to store and showcase photographs. So it seemed like a neat thing to have something where people outside my family actually went on my domain.

Unfortunately, I was quite unprepared for the response I got here. My bandwidth, of which I used to use less than 1%, is now being eaten at a rate that will put me well over my allowance. I am alloted 8GB of bandwidth per month. Thus far for February (in seven days), we have used 2.6 GB. If I go over at all, I have to pay a penalty that is more than the service itself costs.

I have a few options here:

1st, and maybe best: If one of you has a place to put this forum that does not have bandwidth limits, or sufficiently high bandwidth limits, I will happily export the forums to you to host on your site.

2nd: If everyone could give maybe a dollar or so, it would be enough to pay for the additional bandwidth necessary for a whole year. This would be messy to coordinate, but it might work...

3rd: If worst comes to worst, and neither of the above happen, I'll be forced to take the forums down every time we start approaching 8GB. They'll probably be offline (locked up) for the last week of the month, and I'd put them back up for the new month.

I'm sorry this is happening!!! I've admittedly not had a great deal of experience running popular sites, and I didn't forsee it at all. Please respond if you have other ideas of how to make this work as well.

Not my specialty at all, so I have no input other than to tell you that I'll happily kick in my dollar or so to be able to see the reviews and keep up with everyone, if need be.

Thanks for coming up with such a great idea in the first place!

I'd be happy to kick in a dollar (or three :P !). Do you have a paypal account we could send the money to?

PS - thanks for putting in all the work to host this site.

I'd be happy to kick in a dollar (or three  :P !). Do you have a paypal account we could send the money to?

PS - thanks for putting in all the work to host this site.

paypal is a great idea!

thanks everyone so far for being so willing to help out. i'm going to hold off for a few days to see if anyone wants to host the forums instead, and if not, i'll post more detailed information.

<33 you're all wonderful.

I'd be happy to contribute, but i dont have paypal. how would i get the money to you?

It's really easy to join paypal, Fae_Rae. I'm rather computer-challenged myself, and if I could figure out how to do it, I'm sure you'll be able to also :P . Just go to this address

https://www.paypal.com/

and follow the directions. Best of all, it doesn't cost any money to sign up!

how much help would it be for me to host the template images? there's not that many of em, but still, 10x10x3bytes adds up over time.

i can't promise monies at the moment, as fin aid is a month overdue giving me my monies... though that ~should~ be fixed sometime this week

everyone:

shriekingviolet has kindly offered to host the forums on her site, where she has suffient extra bandwidth. thank you so much for all your offers of support =D

the site will go down at a scheduled time that we will work out, and i'll export the current database to the new site, so we won't lose all our messages. i'll leave this address as a redirect as well.

i've really enjoyed having these forums, and i'm sorry i couldn't keep up with the level of activity! thank you all so much.

i've really enjoyed having these forums, and i'm sorry i couldn't keep up with the level of activity!  thank you all so much.

I think we should be thanking you! :P :D Thank you for all the hard work you did in creating and still do in maintaining this forum. And thanks to shriekingviolet for taking over the hosting. :D

everyone:

shriekingviolet has kindly offered to host the forums on her site, where she has suffient extra bandwidth.  thank you so much for all your offers of support =D

i've really enjoyed having these forums, and i'm sorry i couldn't keep up with the level of activity!  thank you all so much.

Thank you for all your work slythwitch, it is a lovely forum and such a shame you are no longer able to host it.

Thank you for stepping in to the breach shriekingviolet, much appreciated.

I'd gladly pay, this has quickly become my favorite forum/site. OOOps well, Thank-You so much for hosting this and starting this place. You are a wonderful person to take this on and very thoughtful to find another place for it to go to.

I, too, would've gladly paid, and will do so in the future if need be. This is a great site, and deserves the support!

Thank you SlythWitch, for the start, and ShriekingViolet for taking over!

Awesome! Glad it worked out.

I would thank shriekingviolet but she feeding my eyeshadow addiction so I don't know if I should :P

Thank you both, SlythWitch and ShriekingViolet for giving me such a wonderful place to feed my growing BPAL addiction. :P If ever you do need funds to keep the forums open, just let me know and I'd be more than happy to help.

Rosie

Oh my God, how did I miss this? =(

Slythwitch and Shriekingviolet, thank you both for the incredible effort you've both made in making this forum possible! I feel terrible about the bandwidth load issue. I will be happy to host this on the BPAL site proper if it helps!

It's really not a problem. I have an obsene amount of bandwidth that I don't use. LOL this will make me feel less wasteful. Besides, it's been a while since I've had the opportunity to play around with a forum script. My inner geek is looking forward to it. 8)

Sorry - competely missed this! Been off line all weekend as I've been celebrating hubby's B-day...

I'll gladly contribute if the need comes up again - happy it worked out though!

Thank you for putting in all this work!

xxx

Sign in to follow this