Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
somnambular

Choosing a scent for an antique trunk

Hey everybody,

I just bought an giant old black steamer trunk, which will probably be used to store books, old clothes and anything I want away from prying eyes like journals, cigarettes, small valuables, etc. When I got it, it was really musty and filled with dust, but I vaccumed it out and want to scent it with something. I'm thinking something kinda literary, maybe paper or tea. I have an imp of Aziraphale and an imp of Clio that I've been thinking of using... but... meep, they're both kinda rare and Clio more so as it's now discontinued. I'm also a bit worried that they aren't strong enough to last.

If you had a trunk, what would you scent it with? Also, any advice about how long to leave in a cottonball with oil on it to achieve lasting scent wold be greatly appreciated. I've never scented anything but my own body so I'm afraid I'm a bit of a n00blet when it comes to that. How much oil should I use? A full imp? Who would've thought that scenting something would be so confusing! :P

If you had a trunk, what would you scent it with? Also, any advice about how long to leave in a cottonball with oil on it to achieve lasting scent wold be greatly appreciated. I've never scented anything but my own body so I'm afraid I'm a bit of a n00blet when it comes to that. How much oil should I use? A full imp? Who would've thought that scenting something would be so confusing! :P

Hmmm. There isn't a specific thread for this, but I'm betting the Laundry and the Fresheners for your car threads have some interesting thoughts as far as the technical aspects of smellyfying a small space like that. I'd be tempted to throw together a little cheesecloth bag of baking soda and salt and scent that, like you were making bath salts, then the baking soda will also help draw the fusty smell out.

On the choice of scent, I'm a woods girl so I'd lean that way: Cathedral, Aureus, Tombstone, Sri Lanka something cedar or sandalwood-y (and I think Aziraphale sounds delish, although I feel your "but--I don't want to use it up!" pain). Another traditional kind of keeping-things-fresh sort of scent is lavender, I myself do not like it so I'll have to leave those recs to other forumites :D

Papyrus: Spirits of the Dead if you can get it, or Mr. Ibis, although that doesn't address the fact that you'd rather have a GC scent that's not quite so expensive.

Good luck, sounds like a yummy idea!

Hey everybody,

I just bought an giant old black steamer trunk, which will probably be used to store books, old clothes and anything I want away from prying eyes like journals, cigarettes, small valuables, etc. When I got it, it was really musty and filled with dust, but I vaccumed it out and want to scent it with something. I'm thinking something kinda literary, maybe paper or tea. I have an imp of Aziraphale and an imp of Clio that I've been thinking of using... but... meep, they're both kinda rare and Clio more so as it's now discontinued. I'm also a bit worried that they aren't strong enough to last.

If you had a trunk, what would you scent it with? Also, any advice about how long to leave in a cottonball with oil on it to achieve lasting scent wold be greatly appreciated. I've never scented anything but my own body so I'm afraid I'm a bit of a n00blet when it comes to that. How much oil should I use? A full imp? Who would've thought that scenting something would be so confusing! :D

(n00blet!, love that!) One that comes to mind right away is Magus, personally. (I like the thought of Aziraphale too, but you're right, it's a lighter fragrance and, well, yes, it is more expensive.) Something about Magus -- and it truly is unique -- is very evocative of ancient learning and mystery. Lurrrrrve! :P I have this scent in my car and always take a big, eye-closing breath upon getting in. As far as amount, experiment. I made a little container with a design cut out of the metal on the sides that I can stuff a piece of scrap fabric (panne velvet as it happens) in and just dabbed the imp stick all over it, tried that for concentration and added a bit more later on to get it to the level wanted. Since a trunk is a rather small enclosed space, it may not take terribly much to get it right where you want it. (This was the first BPAL I ever smelled... and the notes immediately gave me a mental image... "I am in a room with old unfinished wooden floor, old furniture and books. Ancient and calmly studious feeling."

Another is coming to mind too.... checking notes here... Ah yes, Sri Lanka.... "Exotic yet comforting, dry and mysterious. Exotic cargo in aromatic wooden boxes."

Let us know how it goes! A cargo trunk filled with small treasures and redolent of BPAL goodness.... mmm mmm! :D

Edited by triptychenchanted

What an interesting idea! I'd probably either make a spray and spray it in the inside, or use a cotton ball to apply maybe an imps worth straight to the sides and bottom (let dry before using, of course).

I'd imagine Seance would be gorgeous inside a trunk, or I'd use a linen type of scent like White Rabbit or Antique Lace. Dirty might be nice, too. That's more "clean" than bookish, though.

I second the use of Magus, or for a bit more rounded out scent you could try Dee. It's a gorgeous dry incense/parchment/rosewood scent and it smells very scholarly and secretive. The gentleman himself seems like the perfect namesake for a trunk of those sorts. For the same reason, I would also recommend St. Germain, although that would definitely give you a different sort of vibe.

I keep my tarot cards and tarot accoutremonts in a small chest and when I scented it, I just unscrewed a bottle of BPAL Cancer oil for a few days, decided I didn't care for it as a "magical" scent, and so unscrewed a bottle of frankincense instead and left it for about a week. Now whenever I'm doing a reading, I open the box and someone will usually exclaim, "Wow! Your cards smell like... magic!" If you can find a way to keep an imp upright inside for a few days, you should be good for scenting. Otherwise, unscrew a bottle of any varying fullness and if you can let it be for a few days, the interior should acquire the scent.

Oh I love woods too! I've been dying to try Aureus. I'm kinda thinking about Seance, because I adore Rosewood. Dee is also a good one. It went wonky with my skin chemistry, but I bet it would be amazing in a trunk. And I haven't tried Magus... I'm gonna have to get my hands on an imp.

Edited by Somnambular

Cathedral would be divine in a trunk. In fact, there is something so nostalgic about that scent for me anyway. Every time I smell it I am taken back in time. I don't usually wear it on skin but every so often I have to open up the imp just for the scent memory.

I have one of these trunks too - and it stinks horribly inside. I haven't put anything in there because of the smell, but its a shame to waste the storage space. I like the idea of Seance, although I haven't smelled it yet. I may do a search on the woodsy types and see what comes up.

If I had such a trunk, and it didn't smell lovely now, I would first put a whole lot of baking soda in it (even scrub it down with a paste of baking soda) to refresh it.

And then...on to whatever seemed nice. (I'd probably go for something heavy and wonderful like Lust, which I am wearing at the moment. But any of the sandalwoodish/resin scents would be good.)

Although this doesn't help because they're not common in imp form, as was said before, I second Mr. Ibis and I also think The Lurid Lbrary would be perfect. Two of my favorites!

I love using slices of the BPTP soaps as sachets in my clothes drawers & in the totes I store my linens. Even a small slice really infuses things nicely & you don't have to worry about oil stains. My favorites are Shub-Niggurath, Dorian & Snake Oil. Perhaps Miskatonic University would fit the bookish vibe you're after?

I have to agree with the suggestions of Aureus, which is such a simple, clean, yet woody smell. Sri Lanka is similar, is the same sort of scent, and would also be great for scenting wood.

I have to admit my first thought was Aziraphale, too, though, and if you like that one, you might like to try Grandmother of Ghosts, which has a citrus quality that Az. is missing that you may find to be fresher in your trunk.

Also nice might be The Caterpillar or Pulchinella and Teresina (LE) or even Sheol.

Good luck and happy scenting!

I like this idea! I would suggest Greed, which is appropriate if you're going to be storing valuables in there, but also has a lovely warm woodsy scent with oakmoss and copal. Pulcinella and Teresina would be good for a darker wood scent, it's one of my favorites. Intrigue has an antique-wooden-box smell, to my nose (in a good way).

I agree w/ the baking soda suggestion, but I'd probably just take a full box, open it up in a tupperware, and leave it sit in there open for a week. Or several. Lid closed on the trunk.

As for scenting, I'd try something that smells awful on my skin but that I dearly love in the imp. It's a nice way to still get to "wear" the stuff that doesn't work on you. I do that with my bottle and imp boxes. They're lined with puffy satin.

Another vote for Aureus. I'm biased, as I have a strong emotional connection to it, but it really is a glorious woody scent. Or I'd go for something with a strong frankincense component.

Just to update everyone, I used my imp of Seance, because I had it on hand and I love the scent. It's perfect!

I'd like to thank everyone for their suggestions though. You all gave me incentive to try a bunch of new oils!