Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
jj_j

Yuki-Onna

The Lady of the Snow, Winter Ghost, Snow Queen. A chilling, haunted blend of bergamot, lemon verbena, sandalwood and jasmine.

Smells like a cross between two Lush bombs: Avobath and Youki-Hi. I love it! I guess I can see the Lemon Pledge comparisons, but on my skin it's just fresh and bright and citrusy. I'm happy I finally tracked down a bottle.

I had to have this entirely because of the name. Not only do I have nickname associations with it, but it was also one of my favorite ghost stories as a child. The scent sounded good enough anyway, but it was pretty much the name that did me in.

In the bottle it smells like citrus and jasmine, and that's pretty much what it smells like on.

When you first put it on, the lemon is extremely strong for a few minutes, so it gives you that 'lemon candy/lemon pledge' kind of scent right off. If it stayed like that, I would have been disappointed, but on me the lemon tapers off a lot after about ten minutes. After that, it's nice and lightly floral, but to me smells mostly like Earl Grey tea with a bit of lemon and jasmine. Since half of what I drink is Earl Grey tea, I'm pretty pleased with this outcome.

Oh, how I love this one.

In Bottle: I smell lots of lemon with a bit of bergamot. Nice and citrusy.

Wet: I get more bergamot now with just a hint of the lemon. And now I smell the sandlewood and jasmine.

Dry: The lemon comes back strong, but I also smell some sandlewood and jasmine in the background.

It's a very nice blend. It's very comforting.

Mmmm, lemon drop candies! It really is a 'cold' citrus smell, just delicious and cooling! Someone compared it to Lush's Avobath and I couldn't agree more -- it is SUCH a marvelous smell! I don't get any jasmine which is too bad, because I love jasmine.

Bottle: Lemon pledge/soap.

Wet: Jasmine battling it out with the lemon verbena. Who will win this winner takes all smackdown?

Drydown: It appears that lemon verbena is winning! But jasmine isn't giving up without a fight!

Dry: Aaaand we have a winner! Lemon verbena!

My rating: 2/5. Sadly, I'm not that fond of smelling like lemons.

Bottle: :D Something sharp and kind of icky! I don't know what it is, though.

Wet: ...lemon candy? I smell like lemon candy! :P

Dry: Lemon candy and... I think I smell flowers. But mostly lemon candy.

I really like this. :D Not for the intended purpose, unfortunately, but it is a really.. cute scent. I like it. :)

It is a blast of lemon cleanser at first, but that quickly calms down and becomes a jasmine/sandalwood trip. The lemon clings lightly in the background and I'm sure bergamot is augmenting things somehow, but it's hard to tell. Something about this has a rosy sweetness on me. I really like it!

In the bottle: Really strong lemon, with some floral in the distance. The lemon smells like lemon candies. Like almost exactly - so I guess a bit of sweetness must be there.

Wet: Still really lemony but floral - ah yes jasmine - coming out more as usual. Maybe I can smell a hint of the bergamot? The lemon verbena is still dominating.

Dry: Sandalwood with bit of jasmine. Sigh.

Dry and powdery and not my style.

wet/in the imp: HOLY LEMONS BATMAN!

dry: wow, the lemon is dying down

later: now i'm getting a lemon band-aid smell and cat food???

not very good lasting power. my skin just ate this right up

Sniffing the bottle, lemon, floral, and herbs.

Starts out kind of minty on my skin, then as it dries more it becomes mostly lemon mingled with jasmine.

I'm not sure if this scent is really me. It may go to the swap/sale pile after all.

Edited by angelicruin

I've been going through some of my older scents lately; haven't tried Yuki-Onna (res) for at least two years. I'm not a super citrus fan, but I have a soft spot for bergamot. Originally this was way too citrus for me, but with aging, wow. Mostly lemony bergamot in the bottle, bergamot with lemony touches when first applied and then the citrus is mostly gone and the jasmine takes center stage, with a hint of smokiness that must be the sandalwood. Really glad I held onto this.

Yuki-Onna 2004, a few drops sealed away in an imp and left sitting for roughly 319 years in a dark perfume box.

I decided to pop this open and take a whiff before finding it a new home. Now, I'm not good with words or descriptions, but I'll give it my best shot:

In an alternate reality where scents are living breathing entities with thoughts and feelings, in human form...Jasmine is a super-villain bent on complete annihilation of the universe and everything in it. Starting with your sinuses. Jasmine wears leather and woad, rides on a demon motorcycle, and doesn't recycle. Jasmine will steal your boyfriend and kick your puppy. Jasmine hates you, and doesn't care if you know it.

I urge you all to avoid this scent at all costs. It may seem like a good idea, but one sniff will send you on a screaming hallucinogenic trip for hours, and while that may be a good way to pass the time in line at the DMV, it's certainly not something you'd want to do every day.

This blend smells like pure evil, and death. You've been warned.

This is a review for the resurrection of the blend.

When I first put it on, I could have sworn the citrus was lime. Now I'm seeing that it was a combination of lemon and bergamot. I freakin' love bergamot. This is my love letter to bergamot, right here. I was looking for a light citrus because the weather today is supposed to hit 80+, and this was it. Slathered it everywhere -- my wrists, my neck, my chest.

I did not realize that jasmine would be in here. Now that it's been on, I get a musky sort of floral, but it's still very light and doesn't have the power to completely shove over the blend. (I thought it was white musk at first!) As of right now, I would place this in the same scent category as Embalming Fluid, so if you don't have access to Yuki-Onna or her resurrected sister, I would recommend that instead. (Or -- what's the other one? Kumiho? Yeah, Kumiho.) This doesn't have any of the tea, but it does have a musky sort of floral, so close relatives.

I received a decant of the resurrected Yuki-Onna as a freebie in a swap. I amp lemon verbena, and jasmine frequently goes cat-pee or worse on me, but you never really know with BPAL, so I decided to give it a try anyway.

In the imp it's very tea-like, with the bergamot, lemon verbena and jasmine. It smells refreshing. The jasmine is mercifully light in the imp.

On my skin, predictably, lemon verbena is dominating. I do get a teeny bit of jasmine, but it's more soapy than bathroom-like... which is an improvement, I guess. But it's still not great, and I'm still mostly getting lemon verbena. Was hoping this one would surprise me, but... not really.

Got this as a frottle from the lab that says "Yuki-Onna Vintage" on the label, and it's a standard amber vial - not sure what that means with regard to the original formula vs the "resurrected" one. It's an absolutely lovely fresh jasmine blend, bright with bergamot and lemon verbena. Not a trace of anything indolic, it's like having tea in a sunny garden full of jasmine. In fact it reminds me a bit of the Jasmine Tea/Lemon Peel/Honeycomb trio from this year, although this one is sharper with fresh florals and the trio is a quieter tea blend.  

We were lucky enough to snag the blue bottle of Yuki-Onna that went up on ebay recently, and WOW I am in love. The jasmine is sweet and doesn't go at all cat pee on me (unlike some). The lemon verbena, though, is the real star for me. Citrusy and herbal in all the right ways. The sandlewood is just the slightest whiff giving it complexity and interest. I am absolutely thrilled and look forward to wearing this.

I was lucky enough to get a bottle of Yuki-Onna Vintage (Amber Bottle) as a gift on my order from a kind forumite. I'm going to be really interested to compare this to my sister's blue bottle.

On my skin, the lemon verbena absolutely runs away with the scent. Now, I like lemon verbena, this is not a bad thing, but most of the rest of the notes never even stood a chance. The sandalwood and bergamot have in no way shown up to the party, and the jasmine is the faintest of background breaths. It's a really pretty jasmine, and I really like jasmine, so I would have appreciated a tad more of it deciding to be present on my skin. I think that it's not balancing quite right on me, but I like it all the same.

This is a beautiful nearly single note lemon verbena on me with just the slightest hint of jasmine. I'm going to want to try wearing it a few more times before I reach a final verdict, but I think that my skin may not be doing this bottle favors even if it's still nice.