Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
sookster

Jasmine Cottage

Camellia, jasmine, heather, orange blossom, osmanthus, wisteria, thyme, angelica, freesia, granny's nightcap, and English wildflowers.

I love floral blends, so this is an instant winner for me.
When wet on my skin I definitely get the green some reviewers were talking about. Also I smell a lot of heather.
For the first ten minutes it's a little bit soapy, but I actually like that.
When it's dry the soapiness is gone and it smells mostly like jasmine and heather to me. Unfortunately it fades really quickly and I have to sniff close to my hand to smell anything after 2 hours of wear.

Even though it fades quickly I really like it and am planning to buy a bottle soon.

Clean and soapy. This is not my type of fragrance at all. I think it's an appropriate scent for Jasmine cottage, though. It's floral and viney and evocative of a cute little cottage in the country, surrounded by wildflowers, long grass, and climbing flowers and vines.

In the vial: OMG, is this drop-dead gorgeous! Light, beautiful flowers, especially freesia, wisteria, camellia, and orange blossom. In spite of the name, the jasmine stays in the background.

On me, wet: First the flowers, just as in the imp. After a few seconds, a green, herbal note develops.

On me, just dried: It lightens up considerably, especially the florals; making the herbal note more prominent.

After 15 minutes: Now the flowers are dominating again, but they are fairly light, not at all overpowering for such a heavily floral blend. This is bringing back vivid memories of a little frosted clear glass pot of a silky white cream (a cream perfume? a lotion?) that I adored many years ago. It might have even been something of my mom's, when I was a child. I thought it was the most beautiful thing I'd ever smelled. And I still think so, with this same scent from BPAL.

After 30 minutes: Pretty much the same, but even lighter.

After 1 hour: Same as above.

After 3 hours: Pretty much gone.

Verdict: A heavenly scent, for flower lovers only! This blend is consistent rather than a morpher. It changes only a little in the first 15 minutes, and after that, not at all. It's on my shortlist of top favorites. I have so many perfumes that I've never bought a backup bottle before, but I just have to get a couple backups of this, to make sure I don't run out if it should be discontinued.

The throw doesn't last long on the skin, so slather it on, reapply often, or wear it in a scent locket if you want a stronger and longer-lasting throw.

My rating: 5+ stars

In the imp: Quite a sharp floral note, similar to 'The Aurora Spaceship...'. I wonder if that's the wildflowers?

Wet: A whole bunch of flowers, with no particular notes jumping out. Very fresh and lively.

Dry: A lovely herbal note dominates, with sweet florals on top. Just what I was hoping for from this scent!

In the imp: A fresh green floral, slightly salty (perhaps the wisteria?)

Fresh on skin: It stays the same, maybe going a bit more herbal

Drydown: Ahh, soap jasmine comes out. I don't actually dislike when scents go slightly soapy on me, unless the soapy note dominates the others, which makes it very bland. There is something very comforting about it, like stepping out of a warm bath full of expensive french soap, and just a hint of sweetness.

Origin: Straight from the Lab

Initial Thoughts: This one has been on my must-try-eventually list ever since it debuted. I love floral scents in general and wisteria is one of my favorites, along with star jasmine. When my lone Weenie bottle needed a companion traveler, it was time.

In the Bottle: That has to be one of the most balanced, smoothly blended unifications between grassy green and sweet floral that I've ever smelled. Neither shouts down the other, they both just happily co-exist. It smells very wisteria and honeysuckle, like the flowers I associate with May and June as the weather heats up into summer.

Wet: Something in her jumps out at first. It's a bit herbal so perhaps it's the thyme. It's not so strong that I can't stand it, all the sweet floral is still there underneath. Just have to wait for it to settle.

Drydown: There we go...the herbal sting mellows out and the green becomes grassy once more. That tricky balance is back: the floral keeps the green from going too herby and the green keeps the floral from being cloying. This is also a very gentle scent, not much throw, so I can wear it to work.

Verdict: Took me long enough, but I'm glad I finally got this one.

In the bottle: Very faint florals.

Wet: SOAP. Overwhelming sharp headache-inducing soap. It's exactly like Farenath said, like someone took all the stems, leaves and thorns from a field of wildflowers and crushed them all up, and then made them into powerful soap. Obviously there's some really intense green note. I wouldn't have gotten this if I'd known that. (My fault for not checking reviews first, I guess.....) Maybe it's the heather, or the thyme.

Drydown: Soap soap soap. It doesn't morph at all, no jasmine, no wisteria, no honeysuckle, no nothing except very sharp green soap. Husband said it was like a mix of Ivory and Irish Spring.

Verdict: Total miss. Kinda heartbroken as I'd waited a long time to get this one....Hope the green or the soap will die down as this ages, maybe.

In the bottle: Like a cottage garden surrounded by a meadow in a fairytale! The only notes I can really pick out are Jasmine & orange blossom, the rest are all mixed together really well. Very evocative!

Wet on skin: The orange blossom stands out most, then the jasmine & thyme. Everything else is still mixed together. It's nice, but not as pretty as it is in the bottle.

Dry on skin: It's evened out now & smells pretty much the same as in the bottle! Just gorgeous! The kind of scent you'd wear on a picnic in the country!

After a few hours: It's now a slightly-soapy (but in a nice way) jasmine-based floral. Not as evocative or fresh as it was at first, but still a very pretty scent.

Verdict: I love this! Very glad I bought it! I'd be interested to try it in a scent locket too, just to see if that helps prevent the "soap" tone it develops after being worn for a while.

My first Good Omens scent (thanks, ltrittipoe!)

In the bottle, wet on me, and initial dry-down: Super green. Almost evenly divided between green herbs and fresh summer flowers. Lots and lots of flowers. I keep catching wisteria out of the corner of my nose, but only fleetingly. I'm imagining a sound board, except for smells, and Beth has them equalized? I get almost no jasmine, so if that's not your jam, don't worry.

Very much later: the green herbs have faded a lot; the soft flowers are left.

I like it, and I'm glad I got the bottle. I see this in heavy rotation for summer.

In the decant: A cascade of florals! But these are soft florals. The jasmine doesn’t appear to be a heady variety.

Wet: I am getting the bright orange blossom and freesia, and what I think might be the wisteria, that are going somewhat sharp on my skin, backed by the soft jasmine and the other flowers. Fortunately, the sharper notes quickly calmed down for the most part, although the orange blossom’s bitter quality remains present, and now the thyme note has added a green aspect to the scent. The jasmine, orange blossom, and thyme are the only notes I am able to pick out for sure, but I think I’m also getting the camellia note from the Trading Post’s Fallen Woman hair gloss.

Dry: Alas, I am getting even more thyme than before. Lots of thyme and soft, somewhat soapy florals.

Verdict: Jasmine Cottage does smell evocative of what it represents, but it is not a scent for me. I am glad I got to try it, though!

I always worry about jasmine, which usually goes bad on me, but this is one of those rare lovely blends where it behaves on my skin. I don't detect it much, honestly. I mostly just get an impression of a field of wildflowers from this - pollen and petals, dustily sweet. It reminds me a bit of the Bluebonnet SN for some reason. Gorgeous. 

I hunted this down as an imp because I wasn't convinced to blind bottle.  It took me on a journey.

In vial:  seems astringent and green, which was pretty surprising.  

Wet on skin: passing hint of orange, wisteria & heather comes out pretty strong

Dry on skin after about an hour: this one ended up going the route of most aquatics for me, which was really unexpected.  After an hour or so it seems like dryer sheets.

Jasmine cottage

In the vial:

“Woods were ringed with a colour so soft, so subtle that it could scarcely be said to be a colour at all. It was more the idea of a colour - as if the trees were dreaming green dreams or thinking green thoughts.”
― Susanna Clarke, Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell

You open the lid, as a shutter from your cottage window onto the overrun garden on a morning in mid spring, after it rained all yesterday – the air is still chill, but so fresh and beginning to warm in the sun that is enough to bring out the scent of buds of the various flowers peeking shyly out, but it is a birdsong choir of green scent in which no voice of them rises above the rest to take a starring role. Instead it is a perfect blend of vernal blooms that can hardly contain their joy that that snows are good and over.

On me, wet: less of the sunshine and damp greenery and the flowers blooming further open, maybe some of those flowers asserting themselves, not boldly no, but just enough that a better nose than mine might identify them.- the freesia I think?

On me, just dried: blossoming, the petals open and exhale, cool freesia, gentle jasmine, heather perhaps? and general wildflowers that band together to remain anonymous

After 15 minutes: sweet sap rising

After 30 minutes: Flowers all bloomed, “as we roamed and loved in the bowers, in the fields and the meadows where we strayed”

After 1 hour: fast withering, like the best of us, it dies young.

After 3 hours: Did I just dream all this? Was it ever there? Was I ever there? “"was it a vision or a waking dream? Fled is that music--do I wake or sleep?”

Verdict: though it doesn’t have much, if any, staying power on my skin, this vial is always always amongst those I buy every time, knowing its pleasures are brief, they are nonetheless so exquisite. I cannot do without them.

Edited by myrrhmyrrh
still getting the hang of this

Clean florals and greens. It has a bit of that cool, sweet, green sap thing going on. I have a really hard time pulling apart the flowers but can identify the orange blossom. As it dries the freshly-scrubbed cleanness fades back a bit and it's more like a field of wildflowers.