Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Ozone, eucalyptus and mint with purple orchid, passionflower, white ginger, and purple lotus.

In the imp: Medicinal purple metal, sweet with Passionflower. Eucalyptus is a trouble note for me, so of course that note really dominates on me at first. I think of Pain - both Pain and the Coil share a sugary doctor's office quality, and I get this visual of a lovely nurse with a syringe full of something sinister. After the Eucalyptus settles down (5 minutes or so on me), The Coil becomes much softer - eventually losing most of that linament quality. Definitely a surprising blend - I could see the cleanness of it working well for muggy, hot days. The tropical notes round it out; after the brief Menthol stage it's a bright, somewhat beachy scent I could see wearing again.

In the imp, I smell a lot of eucalyptus and mint -- the floral is there, but only just.

Immediately putting it on, it's very minty, with the eucalyptus lending a slightly biting, nose-clearing edge.

It's settled down to a nice, minty, ozone scent. The orchid is almost nonexistent, but the passionflower and white ginger make up the floral side of this scent. It's very clean, very light -- a fantastic summer scent. We'll see how long it wears, though, before deciding whether to buy a big one or not.

Imp: Clean and Mint…almost Mouthwash

Wet on Me: Crisp. The mint recedes a tad but still crisp

Drying Down: Still a wee bit of mint and the ozone shines more now.

Not getting a strong eucalyptus yet but that is okay.

Dry: Cool, clean crisp ozone and mint but not peppermint…

but the coolness that mint brings. It has that smell of snow is coming

that the air gets around here in the winter.

Sadly, all I get is soap. Pretty soap, but still....soap. I think I catch a *little* mint but mostly....soap.

sigh

Maybe it's just my decant? Maybe I'll try to pick up another to compare.

Edited by Femme_Fatale

Wet: Uh oh. There's the eucalyptus, all cough drop-y.

A minute later: Hello, my dear friend Ozone! A pleasure, as usual, to see you!

Verdict:: Sharp minty ozone with some perfumey background florals. Nice, but I don't like smelling like mint.

ETA: I love the color of the oil, though! It's just the prettiest pale green!

Edited by jessu

In the imp I get eucalyptus and mint with a very faint hint of florals.

Wet it starts going rather chemically scent on me. Only a very very faint and tiny hint of possibly flowers, but only if I huff at it for a while.

After a while that clinical scent starts to fade and the tease of flowers starts blooming. It's now a eucalyptus and slightly floral soap scent on me.

The Coil opens up with a bracing minty blast, with a bit of eucalyptus. The mint doesn't stick around long, though, and the ozone takes over in a major way. The end result is total men's deodorant. Very strong, lots of throw, but I don't wanna smell like Right Guard.

Imp: It smells minty and clean. Awesome.

Wet: It smells like a powerful green mint. Not peppermint. And there's something tart in there. Maybe the ginger? This is awesome.

As it dries: The mint takes on a "warm" feel. I don't know how that could happen, but it does. It's like a hot cup of mint tea. The tartness stays up front.

Further drydown: The mint is gone. Boo. The tartness is in the front and combined with the florals, it's turning into a cheap perfume scent. :P

Why doesn't it work on me?

Edited by catattack

(My first review, hurrah!)

In the imp, I got a crisp, cool scent - probably the mint and eucalyptus. Nice, but it didn't strike me as anything special.

The moment I put it on, it piqued my interest by sharpening dramatically, which in retrospect was the eucalyptus really coming forward. (It's been a while since I had eucalyptus-scented anything.) The mint was still very present, clear and cool, and I thought it a great choice for the warmth of the day.

After a few minutes, I could start smelling what I assume to be the ozone (a new scent for me!) and the overall effect of it became very sharp and electrical. At this point I believe I thought something along the lines of "THIS IS SO COOL!" and had decided to buy a whole bottle.

Then the florals started coming in. Now, I have nothing against florals, and at first they worked very nicely in the background. But then, at least one of the flowers in this (I'm suspecting the orchid: it made me think of lavender) completely dominated the scent within a half hour of appearing. All the wonderful electrical feel of it either drifted away or was drowned in the floral. It's a very nice floral scent, but it was neither very impressive nor what I was hoping for.

I have mixed feelings about this one. I want to love it. I DO love it, but not on me.

This is a gorgeous, light minty scent in the imp and wet on skin. I'm not usually a fan of light scents because they tend to have notes that are really sharp and irritatingly present to my nose, but The Coil doesn't have any of that. It's a really nice, complex mint.

Unfortunately, on my skin it morphs to a generic, soapy scent. In my scent locket, though, it stays beautifully true!

Edited by March

In the imp: A very interesting minty smell, almost like toothpaste or mouthwash -- not sweet, more medicinal.

On, wet: Sweeter on the skin than in the imp, like lightly sugared mint. After a few seconds, something floral peeps its head out at me.

On, dry: This settles down into something purely eucalyptus on me, like the backseat of my grandmother's car after she'd been driving around with eucalyptus wreathes in the trunk. I kind of like it, just not as a perfume.

Imp: Maybe a bit on the side of mouthwash as mint goes

Wet: Still kind of a toothpaste mint, but it's developing already

Drydown: Ginger-y mint. I like it a lot so far. It stays true to the mint but adds a few tropical florals to the mix.

Overall: My favorite of the Steamworks so far. The mint is a team player and just adds a cool touch to the fancy florals. A great hot day scent

In the vial: Electric mint!

Wet: Cool mint and eucalyptus over sweet floral notes and a quick breeze of "ozone" (which is showing up as laundry detergent smell on my arm). This definitely has a sinus clearing effect!

I'm not detecting any ginger at this stage...and it's really hard to pick out the individual floral notes.

Dry: After this settles and drys down for a while, the initial electric mint notes subdues and allows for the smallest hint of ginger to peek through. I'm left with a gentle, floral perfume with a metallic tang in the background.

Verdict: This scent was just a lot of fun to smell. All of the Steamworks blends are like that...fun, interesting little works of art. They're truly bottled images that create a synesthesia effect...purple flowers paired with mint...I actually visualize the purple and white lighting coming out of The Coil. I know that's the idea of all BPAL oils but, it's just a lot more prominent with The Steamworks scents. This isn't a perfume I would wear, but I really enjoyed experiencing it. A real treat!

Inside the imp, mint.

Wet on my skin, eucalyptus & mint. As it dries, still mainly eucalyptus and mint with ozone..and rancid orchid. :ack:

Off to the swap pile with this one.

Woah Nelly, this is strong! :eek: Bright, and I mean REALLY bright eucalyptus and mint. If you're ever feeling down on a morning just open up a vial of this to get you jumpstarted.

Wow.

This was very strong on minty upon application, but after dry-down it turned into a beautiful floral. The lily really shines through. LOVE it! :wub2:

Edited to add: This smells like Lush's Sex Bomb!

Edited by saracakes

I wanted to try this because I want to try ALL the steamworks blends.. I love the idea! However, I didn't think I'd like eucalyptus.. I"m not a huge mint family person. In the imp this is very sweet and sharp, bright. It feels in the same vein as Violet Ray (a fave) to me. On the throw is very much toothpaste to me :lol: It IS evocative, as I've found all the steamworks to be, but not really me. I'll keep my imp tho :)

In the bottle: Fizzy ginger and eucalyptus. The mint and ozone are present, but most obvious as the fizzy quality.

Wet: Minty fresh ozone with eucalyptus and the slightest hint of blooming purples

As it dries: the ginger and passionflower take a stand. I can definitely picture colorful, crackling electricity.

Dry: this is beautifully fizzy mintalyptus with a fun and not too obvious or too feminine base of purple.

The Coil is, in one word, effervescent. Oof is something I wear on a daily basis, and to take a turn towards the ridiculous and project onto the oil, this is like Oof frollicking in a funky, colorful way on the days it feels awesome and wants to be a little less Utilitarian.

Edited by Cereus

This is one of my favorite scents ever, how it goes from cold and clean to yummy flowers. I'm going to get as many bottles as I can I find it very relaxing. This is NOT floral though it smells more like fruit I can't even describe it because it's an amazing morphing experience.

(this is my first review and I will add more later)

Got this as a frimp in our most recent order.

In the imp it is a very strong peppermint, not much ozone or eucalyptus.

On the skin, the mint isn't as strong and I get a little ozone. The passionflower (?) comes out later as it dries further.

Its a really great scent. I think I need a bottle of this eventually.

This is a bright, cool ozone scent-- the mint is understated, not sharp toothpaste or sugary candy mint, just adding a subtle chilling touch to the blend. Something in this read as citrusy to my nose, possibly the eucalyptus. It's very light and fades fairly quickly, and isn't really my style, but it would be excellent to wear in summer as a cool, clean, refreshing scent.

i can see why this is an electrical/ozone scent but unfortunately i got gentle rain after the first storm of spring instead of the tesla coil that i was hoping for.

in the imp it reminds me of something but i can't place what- it's very medicinal.

wet- it doesn't smell like anything on me. at all. nothing. not a thing. it's very odd.

dry down/dried- ozone and a white floral. i'm not sure why i'm getting white floral out of this unless there's jasmine lurking in this that i didn't know about. this may be the only blend that i've had go to 'hairspray' on me- most of the reactions that people describe as being hairspray don't remind me of hairspray but this one definitely does. after awhile there's a touch of ginger but it's so barely there i have to be sniffing my wrist to get it.

and i just remembered what this reminds me of. there used to be a brand of spray gel that smelled like this years ago.

i'm going to have to think about this one. it's not a bad scent but not what i was hoping for, but i may try layering it with something.

imp: mint, ginger and lotus. sort of reminds me a bit of shattered except there's no grapefruit.

wet: mint, eucalyptus and ginger. this is spicy and vibrant. i'm getting a bit of ozone as well but it's not as sharp as usual.

dry: the eucalyptus is the most prominent note on my skin, with mint and lotus coming in just behind. interesting, not something i'd wear often, but quite evocative in it's way.

Wet: fresh mint, eucalyptus in the background

Dry: floral, with a faint background of mint

I liked this when it is was wet, but it dries to be much more floral than I like. I was hoping for mostly mint with just a hint of flowers, but I got just the opposite. Oh well, it was worth a try.

Imp: Ozone-tastic. Kind of smells like unscented deodorant. I'm a little afraid to put it on my skin.

Wet: Really strong deodorant feeling. The florals assert themselves in a pale sort of bouquet feeling. The lotus is the dominant floral note.

Dry:Thank God the deodorant scent disappears. This is primarily orchid with a faint hint of ginger. It reminds me a little of Opuhi, actually. Very light and pretty. Clean florals. The sort of thing you can wear to work or to casual gatherings.

Throw: Mild.

Overall: It's pretty and the more I wear it the more I like it. A very lovely orchid scent and a little unusual and striking. Very pretty.