Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Glasgow

The rich scent of wild blackberry breezing over gentle rosy heather.

In the bottle: Heather (very green, lightly floral). Barely a hint of berry.

Wearing: The same. Hmm - where are the blackberries?

I counsel patience with this one if you didn't get the berry aspect right away. It really didn't show up for at least 30 minutes and then became stronger with time until it was about a 50/50 scent ratio of heather to blackberry.

The berry smell is very realistic and not cloying or fake and goes well with the green floral of the heather.

Nice, though not my type of scent. Edited by wolfie13

Mmmm, soft heathery goodness. In the imp and wet, heather was the only note I could detect. During drydown, I caught a little tang of the blackberry, and then the two notes seemed to blend together well until fade out.

On me this is very pleasant, gentle and light, and fades away after about 2 hours. This seems to be a summery scent; I think it would make a very nice body lotion for that season.

I like it, but there are so many others that I love more. I probably won't buy a bottle; at least until I've sampled many more scents, but I'll try to keep an imp around.

In the imp: Generic fruity floral? It's hard to tell, in the imp.

On, wet: Amazingly, it's another berry scent that doesn't smell much of berries. I'm shocked, and pleased.

Later: Mostly, this stays a solid heather scent, with just a vague hint of berries sweetening it up. It really does make me feel like I'm back in the UK, though I've never been to Glasgow specifically. Mmmmm.In the imp: Generic fruity floral? It's hard to tell, in the imp.

On, wet: Amazingly, it's another berry scent that doesn't smell much of berries. I'm shocked, and pleased.

Later: Mostly, this stays a solid heather scent, with just a vague hint of berries sweetening it up. It really does make me feel like I'm back in the UK, though I've never been to Glasgow specifically. Mmmmm.

Wow, the initial throw on this stuff is astonishing! I put one drop on my daughter's hand and thenn we went outside to play -- I could smell the scent all over the back yard!

This really does smell like a blackberry thicket for the first hour or so: not sweet or foody at all, just leaves and fresh air and tart, sunwarmed, slightly dusty berries. Wow! On me, the berry smell fades quickly after that, leaving a floral & herbal scent that I was *sure* must have wild rose in it. Apparently that's just the heather, which I have never smelled in bloom. Very fresh, very distinctive, and it makes me long to be out rambling through the countryside.

Mmmm. This smells like spring. It reminds me of walking home from school in early spring, when there's still snow on the ground in shady places, but the grass is green and soft and there's a gentle breeze and it's nice and sunny. Lovely, I need a big bottle of this.

In The Bottle: Very floral.

Wet: Sweet, and a little overpowering.

Dry: The scent settles down to a warm heathery smell with a tiny bit of rose. Long lasting, I put it on thursday morning, and it didn't disappear until after I showered friday morning. Luckily, it wasn't overpowering.

I didn't get very much of the blackberry scent, which is too bad. I was hoping for it. I like Glasgow a lot though, and I'd definitely wear it again.

Wet - I was expecting this to be a blackberry scent, and I did get blackberries in the imp, but on, it's a very green, grassy scent. It smells more like fresh cut grass than anything else.

Dry - ah now there's a bit of blackberry, but it's overshadowed by the heather. This is a much greener scent than I anticipated. I wish the blackberry were a bit stronger here.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, this rates a 2.

In the bottle: Blackberries, just the right sort (not too sweet, not too tart), mixed with something sort of aromatic and, hm, almost soapy? Huh.

Wet: Wet, unfortunately, I'm getting more of the aromatic/soapy than I am the blackberry. It sort of - and I don't know if this is the power of suggestion or what - smells like a bath shop I went into when I was in Haworth. Still, it's not pleasant enough to wear as a perfume, at least on me.

In the imp: Light musky floral.

Wet: HEATHER.

Drydown: SOAPY HEATHER. And surprisingly, staying rather strong.

Dry: HEATHER SOAP. SOAP EAU DE HEATHER.

10 minutes later: Suddenly, blackberries! Totally overwhelming the heather.

20 minutes later: More balanced between blackberry and heather, finally.

Once I learned to trust this blend, I became really fond of it. It has a soapy heather phase on me that lasts anywhere from 2 minutes to 20, depending on my chemistry at the time. But it always eventually becomes a really beautiful mix of heather and blackberry-- fruity without being foody, rainy and fresh, wonderful and wistfully sweet.

Intitially it was sharp berries but after a few minutes it settled down to a subtle mixture of berry and heather. I really liked this until my mum said "it smells like talc". I'm going to stop asking her opinion.

Oh and I can personally vouch that this smells nothing like Glasgow, although that's not necessarily a bad thing.

Edited by Smurf

In the Bottle: A LOT of dried herbs and some heather.

Dry: Smells a lot like a very natural upscale version of the "Heather and Hyacinth" soap scent, with the inclusion of some gentle dried herbs. Since I like that scent very much, I really do like this. I can't wait for a windy Fall day to slather it on!

i refuse to believe the imp i recieved in my swap is glasgow.

i am from glasgow and proud to be so, therefore i am gutted this smelled of old ladies toilets and overly floral perfumes.

i am so upset as i was totally totally convinced i would love this.

i am hoping that perhaps this imp had been left in the sun too long by someone at some point before i received it in my swap. :P

if anyone wants glasgow for free let me know :D

as i slather on dirty for my next review xxxxxx

Ack! Floral soapy powdery artifice. Love the city (go Celtic!); not sure about the imp.

Evocative of these horrid little flower-shaped soaps that my grandmother uses to decorate her bathroom.

And strong! It's always the ones I don't like that waft beautifully and last FOREVER after a small dab (if I don't scrub it off, first) :P

Edited by erikasilverstein

Soft, wispy, sweet, pleasant flowers. Then the blackberry comes out, beautiful, soft and sweet. It's distant, light, but doesn't seem to be fading too fast. It's very pretty, but not my favorite.

This is quite nice but it just isn't me at all. I don' t know how to describe it - on me it is a floral, the heather is the most powerful note with the blackberry just peeking out every now and then.

On first application, this is all sweet berry, with a fresh breeze in the background. The floral comes to the fore after a while, but by the time it does, the overall scent is already fading.

This is a beautiful scent, but it doesn't last on me at all.

My first impression of Glasgow was Whoa... way to floral for me. However, I gave it a shot.

I'm so glad I did, the sweet berry notes come out as the oil dries, and smell gorgeous on my skin! Very fresh, fruity and girly. The heather is just faint enough to not go entirely floral on my skin.

lovely scent!

Unfortunately, any prayer I had of getting blackberry out of this vanished when I detected the sour smell of.... damp dirt. There may well be heather and blackberries in here, but any scent with the dirt/soil note in it, on me, turns immediately into sour, almost rancid mossy notes, with vast quantities of throw, and that's exactly what Glasgow did. If I get up right on it and snort hard, I can just baaaaaarely pick up some fruit, but overall... sour, moldering green wetness. Ah well... perhaps someone else shall fancy it more than I...

at first: this lab included this as a freebie in my order. tart berries and heather. a nice combination.

on: definitely green and lush. cool, too. there's just the slightest hint of blackberry in the background.

1.5 hours later: dusty and green. still cool. refreshing. i can't really pick out any notes.

2.5 hours later: gone.

overall: this is nice, but not much else.

I've been trying to find my perfect fuity floral, but this one isn't it. It's wonderful in the bottle and wet, but on drydown, my skin absorbs all the blackberry scent and leaves just the heather. It's a nice floral, which reminds me of roses. It doesn't smell like a rose, but it has the same dry, powdery quality that many rose scents have. I envy those who continue to smell the blackberry when they wear this scent, but on me, it's just another nice floral, nothing outstanding.

This is not one I would normally pick for myself. It was on my wishlist so that I could send it to a friend I am trying to enable. However, I decided that I needed to try at least one fruity/floral blend. It's all well and good to *think* something doesn't work for you, but with bpal it's only smart to make sure. After all, I've read all the stories about surprise favorites. So, I decided to try it before I passed it on.

In the imp: This smells quite floral to me, but with an herbal undertone. I don't smell the berries at all in imp.

Wet: Soap. Floral, icky soap. Or possible air freshener of the type used in restaurant restrooms.

Early dry down: There's something very sharp at the top of this blend. It seems more herbal than floral to me, and I wonder if it's the heather. I realize that heather looks a bit like lavender, but based on the heather infused Scottish beer I've had, I thought it smelled much more floral. Whatever this scent is, it has totally subdued the berries beneath its awesome might. I'm not getting any fruit at all. I also wouldn't classify this as a sweet scent. It seems more clean than fruity or sweet so far.

Dry down: After two hours it's still soap. And I would classify it as slightly sweet old lady floral soap. It kind of smells like my grandma's bathroom cupboard where she has numerous bars of lily of the valley, rose and violet soaps stored all together. Not my thing at all. So much for experiments. Out it goes to its originally intended recipient and off I go to thoroughly wash my wrist.

This was on my wishlist, so when the lab threw it in as a frimp I was very excited. From the imp I could smell mainly blackberries with a hint of something green, almost grassy, underneath. The blackberries stayed on top after I put it on, but the green scent underneath grew stronger. The scent faded quickly. Overall, it's a very nice blend, but not really suitable for me.

Mmm, I love this. Glasgow is a berries-and-floral scent on me, with a hint of green grass underneath. I have never visited Scotland or smelt the moors, but this is exactly what I imagine they smell like. There is even a hint of wind about this scent, somehow. Definitely getting a big bottle of this.

This is so pretty. It's blackberries just beginning to ripen, with a soft, grassy undertone. It almost feels too pretty and girlish for me! :P

So much love! I wasn't qutie sure what to make of the scent in the imp - it was floral, which I'm not always keen on, but there was this sharpness to it, too. So I put some on. And I never want to take it off. LOL

At first, I mostly got the blackberries, and it was perfect. I would have been thrilled had it stayed so blackberryish and fruity. Now it's softened a bit, I think the heather has come out to play. It's a little soapy, but not in a bad way. It's subtle and sophisticated with this just wee little bit of sweetness from the blackberries. I love it.