Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Glasgow

Glasgow

The rich scent of wild blackberry breezing over gentle rosy heather.

in the bottle: warm, lush, tangy. fruity with herbs - ayup, that's blackberry and heather

wet: blackberry yum, but not overly fruity - essence of blackberry, not blackberry jam or pie. The heather combines very nicely with this, making the scent lighter

drying/5 minutes: more heather now than blackberry/sweet/fruit, but still very nice. They've melded together so it's less distinct

dry/30 minutes: mmm, it's mellowed a bit, becoming a warmer scent. The heather isn't as prominant and the berry loveliness is pulling its weight.

:P

Wet, this was *strong*. The blackberry was pronounced toward the beginning, but now it's faded a bit and I'm getting predominantly (what I suspect is the) heather. Kind of a powdery mauve sort of floral scent. There might be a bit of berry under there somewhere, but I have to really stick my nose in my elbow and snort to get at it, which doesn't strike me as being worth it. :P It seems inclined to stick around.

It's nice, but not as much my thing as I thought it would be. Oh well!

This is almost all heather and flannel to me. There isn't any kind of blackberry to it at all. Weird, isn't it? If someone took clean linen and dried it over heather on a bright sunny day, that is what this smells like. It is very soft though, and recedes a lot into the background very quickly. It almost seems like it could be a unisex fragrance, for a man who didn't mind smelling just a little sweet. It's very pretty, but rather nondescript on me. I think if the blackberry came out more it would seem more vibrant. As it is, it's smooth and mellow and quiet.

The Wanderlust series has been very good to me... this is another one that I'm in love with :P.

I have no clue what heather smells like, but it is apparently one of the few florals that works very well with my skin chemistry. Very sweet and wonderful along with the blackberry.

I am very familiar with blackberry, and this does have a definite berry scent to it. I want to say that it is slightly musky as well. A lovely blackberry musk.

For the first 3 hours, this was all wonderful blackberry and floral sweetness... it gets more herbal and green smelling to me in its final stages, like it has been mixed with Kostnice.

Lovely all the way through <3.

Vial: Spicy floral with hints of blackberry.

Wet: Heather smells spicy. Not sure why. Blackberry was strong initially, but appears to be fading.

Dry: Heather now smells rosy. Blackberry came back, thought it would disappear, but nope, it returned. More heather than blackberry, very floral.

The first time I tried this, the florals seemed to come out too much, but I didn't get to wear it for long because I had to slather myself in sunscreen for work.

I tried it again today and it didn't change a whole lot from the way it smells in the bottle. In the bottle, the blackberry smell is very rich and juicy and definitely the primary smell. On me, the florals come out and the berry dies down so that each note seems to express itself equally. A very pleasant scent all around, just not one that really suits me. It generally reminds me of a lazy summery day. Quite nice.

Mmmm....this one really does make me think of rolling green hills that you see in films & pictures of Scotland. Damn I need to go there.

In the bottle: At first sniff it's all blackberry, but by the end of the inhale it's all heather. Interesting.

First on: It goes on as above, but within a few minutes, the berry & the heather blend together into the perfect scent that's not too fruit & not too herb. I loooove it.

Drydown: The heather is in the forefront, but I keep getting whiffs of blackberry, which I love. It's the tart berry, not the oversweetened flavor. I still havne't decided if this will be a bottle or another imp, but I definitely like it.

My favorite of all BPAL scents I've tried! Maybe it's the Scotswoman in me. Who knows! :P

In the bottle: Strong blackberry smell, but I get a hint of a thickly petalled flower as well.

First on: At first the blackberry is extremely strong, almost biting.

Drydown: While still faintly smelling of blackberry, the scent of heather takes center stage and it becomes a more casual and mature aroma. It wafts rather than strikes and is very comforting and somewhat breezy like a walk on a path through a fluttering field.

Blackberries!

I put this on the back of my hand, and now this wonderfully sharp blackberry note wafts over me every time I move my hair out of my eyes. The berries are so fierce that it's hard for any other notes to compete - I smell the heather only slightly, but it softens the blackberries just enough to keep me from licking my hand.

This scent is nicely simple compared to the other scents I wear all the time. I'll grab a bottle for sure!

In the vial: A nicely even mix of berries and floral.

Wet on my arm: Turned to heather. I couldn't even smell a hint of blackberry. Just heather.

Dry: Very faint note of blackberry... well not even blackberry so much as a tinge of sweetness, but I have to keep sniffing to find it. The heather is drowing it out on me. I'm reminded of a linen or drawer spray or maybe one of those scent pouches you would slip in your draw to give it a fresh aroma.

Sadly, this scent isn't for me. But that's okay because so many others are. Beth does a wonderful job!

In the Bottle: Smells like blackberries. But it also reminds me of cherry cough syrup.

On Skin: Very sharp, there is a freshness to it. The blackberries are still there, but it still has that faint smell of cherry cough syrup. :P

On Drydown: I can still smell the hint of berries on it and something kinda floral, which I am assuming is the heather.

Verdict: Not really me. This is going to swap.

Glasgow

Nice. It smells exactly as promised - heather and blackberries.

It's clean and wild-smelling at the same time - the heather makes it a light, daytime, freshly-shampooed fragrance, and the blackberries give it an earthiness that keep it interesting and steers it away from a cleaning product scent.

I think it's an early spring scent - there's a combination of frost and early Spring green - life emerging from under a gloomy, dun-colored, sleepy landscape.

By midday, I had the nicest rain scent on my hand. This is a definite winner in the clean scents category.

In the bottle

Nice fresh heather and the slightest touch of blackberry, not very sweet.

On

beautiful, slightly perfume-y but light on the blackberry, a touch of sweetness and the lovely fresh smell of heather.

30 minutes

smells like a fresh floral should. :P

Throw:

a bit more than average

Scent category:

Fruity/floral

Summary

It's not as seet as you'd think, if you like herby, grassy, with a bit of muskiness and subtle blackberry, you'd like this.

Purchase again?

Yes. It doesn't replace my beloved "Bewitched" or anything but it's a nice option for wearing blackberry.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

I bought this because I love blackberries (Bewitched is one of my favorites), I love heather, and I love Scotland. :P

In the imp and on wet, this is all ozone on me--I'm assuming it's used here to capture the breeze in the description. Unfortunately, on my skin, BPAL's ozone note comes across as dryer sheets, or a very sneezy white flower. In 20 minutes or so the ozone calms down and the heather emerges. It's very pretty at this stage. The blackberries are there, but they're definitely in the background.

This is OK on me, but I wish there were more berries and less breeze.

Soft sweet fruity florals. This doesn't have much throw or staying power but it's beautiful. A very casual, relaxed and calming scent. I really like this one a lot!

In the imp: Soft floral. It's pretty!

Wet: Still floral, but a nice soft floral. Not too overpowering. It projects just enough to make someone want to get closer.

Dry: The berry comes out and mixes sweetly with the floral. The only word to describe this scent is innocent.

In the Bottle or Imp:

Sharp, light herbal floral. A bit astringent.

Wet, on Skin:

Hello, deep and dark berries! There's a hint of grassy, very green herbal. Like when you're in a field and crushing grass between your fingertips and there are faintly fragranced flowers around.

Drying/Drydown:

Gets a touch lemony, and adopts a currant-like fruit tone on top of the green floral.

Over Time/Longterm:

Basically goes floral with just a hint of berry. Kind of Body Shop Dewberryesque.

Final Verdict?

Pleasant, but not really a keeper.

Wet on me this was blackberries, strong blackberries with wine in the background, I think that the heather might be there softening the edges, but it is not self-evident. Dry it smells of coconuts, which is unlikely, but true. It fades to a very sweet soft floral. On the whole I like this, even if I don't really understand it :P .

In the imp, Glasgow smells wonderful. Nice & sweet.

Wet? Not so much. Definitely smelling the heather. It's very overpowering and I can't smell the blackberries at all. :P

Gah. I really don't think I like this at all. I've attempted scrubbing it off, but underneath the smell of my handsoap.. it's still there. :D :D

A sweet, breezy, berry and floral scent. Light, innocent, enchanting. The heather is so lovely and feminine, and the blackberry undershadows it perfectly. I really like this one, it reminds me of my childhood for some reason. It's magickal!! :P

glasgow.jpg

I could have sworn I smelled some kind of fir or balsam in this blend. I swear it. Blackberries? Well, if you say so. There is a fruity undertone in Glasgow and it's quite appealing. It's almost too sweet in some ways and then it's spot on. Heather? I have never smelled heather in my life. Not even in the garden store, so if it is in there I would never be able to identify it

Because it smells like fir to me, I have to say this is a great cold weather blend. You just can't go around smelling like winter in August. No. Not. The berries make it really appealing and the fir is so soft and non astringent that it melts me. Glasgow is a winner in my book, a frimp from the lab. Nice job, laddies or labbies!

The icon? "X" marks the spot, of course. Glasgow, city of multiple enchantments.

Edited by olympia301

Glasgow is all heather on me and no blackberries, not even a dry blackberry bush carried on the air. I'm so sad because I love blackberries! It smells like a very lovely and expensive soap---which I think is the result of the ozone mixing with the heather.

All in all, I think I prefer Bewitched for my blackberry fix.

The heather in this has almost a haylike/green/herbal/floral scent to it, and the blackberries complement it very well. I can smell each of them equally, however this is so light on me I have to slather it on to smell anything, and in 3 hours it was completely gone. It was nice while it lasted at least.

In the bottle:

Ooh, a very fresh, green/herbal scent, with berries beneath. Don't know what heather smells like (out here in CA), but if this is it...yum.

Wet:

Still that bright grassy scent, now blossoming, with the rich berries coming up.

Drydown:

Well, as I learned with Bewitched (which I love), berries really like me, and this scent is no exception. However...the berries smell much, much less fake in Glasgow. Instead of a creamy-sweet bubblebath type scent, the heather makes the scent much brighter and richer, almost like there's a white musk. It's very fresh and relaxing.

I wish this lasted longer (I should try a scent locket), but I like this much better than Bewitched, and will be swapping the latter, I think. I feel like I'm betraying my old favorite Bewitched (I was just wearing it yesterday, after all), but there's no sense in having two similar scents, I guess. :P Or maybe I should just try layering them...