Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Glasgow

The rich scent of wild blackberry breezing over gentle rosy heather.

Hm. I get what people were talking about with the laundry thing, but to me it's more a feeling of "hot dryer sheet" than an actual scent. The scent itself is very nice - I don't get the rose, but there's a nice blend that my nose can't really separate into "blackberry" and "heather."

In the Vial: I was worried that this had an ozone note (because of the "breezing") but I'm not smelling any in the imp, except in that it's a very cool scent. The blackberry is deep, sweet, and juicy, and the heather is light and herbal.

Wet: Right away it gets very herbal, and then powdery - that must be the "rosy" part. Yes. This definitely smells rosy. I can tell by the way the other notes are being slowly choked to death. Oh, rose. Must you always be such an attention whore?

Dry: Rose with a slight sweet fruitiness in the background. Sigh.

An Hour Later: I layered some more on, hoping that might help the rose not completely take over, and... I think it worked. The rose is still a big old attention whore, don't get me wrong, but the blackberries are holding their own.

Overall: Quite nice, but how I wish my skin didn't amp rose so much! I'll have to look for blackberry notes (and blueberry notes for that matter) in more blends; they're a nice, soft alternative to the more punchy fruit notes.

Glasgow made me realize what people mean when they say a scent is "soapy." To me, it smells exactly like health store berry- and rose-flavoured soap. Sweet and pretty in a simple, clean sort of way, with a herbal touch that's probably responsible for the "health store" association. It's inoffensive, but bores me to death, although I can see the people who like to smell like they've just showered would probably like this one.

I ended up making a hand cream out of this one, and it works much better as a lotion than as a perfume. The dilution brings out the complexity of the blend better and tones down the sweetness, and the soapiness means that it smells like a store-bought lotion, only better. I may even end up ordering another imp in the future for soap- or lotion-making purposes.

Three out of five stars.

In the imp, I smell sweet floral fruit. Freshly applied, I get sweet, simple, girlish, blackberry and heather.

Once it dries, this smells light and clean, juicy and ripe blackberry with a hint of opaque floral sweetness from the heather. It is really simple, verges on boring for me, and definitely strikes me as the scent for a person young in years.

The blackberry and heather amplify each other’s worst qualities, becoming sweeter and headier, and after a while I find Glasgow way too cloying to wear.

this is a lovely, simple scent--I'm pretty sure I'm only really getting the heather, because while it's sweet and gorgeous, I don't really get any blackberry from it--the sweetness that goes with the heather is almost honey-like, to me. There's a really pure feeling to it, and while it's definitely not my usual sort've scent, I find I keep sneaking sniffs of it on my wrist.

This is one of those that I'll have to debate as to whether I want a whole bottle of, only because I rarely go for really typically girly scents--however, for the days that I want to smell downright pretty, this imp will definitely be one that I reach for.

Imp -- yep, blackberry and heather. Slightly dusty, which is how I think of heather.

Wet -- not much throw. I get that dusty note with the soft heather and bit of fruit. Gentle.

Dry -- turning into soap on me. Nice classy rose soap. I can see the bar of it, it's round with embossed lettering and rose design on it. I'd wash with it, but I don't want to wear it. Swap.

I love this scent when I first put it on. It's all delicious blackberry without being overly fruity or juicy. The blackberry is nicely layered over a background of heather. For about 40 minutes. After that, it all goes to roses and it makes me a very sad girl. The dry scent is lovely, but not what I want. I'm definitely keeping this one; I WILL find a use for it, even if it's as a room spray.

Glasgow is certainly simple, but it is also deceptively pretty.

Right off the bat, I smelled blackberry-laced heather in the imp. It is perfect sweet Scottish heather, and reminds me of trekking through the rain down the streets of Edinburgh and through the gardens of Inverness.

Once I applied it, it got very crisp and clean. I personally wouldn't describe it as dryer sheets or laundry, but I do understand the association. I find it to be incredibly relaxing; I want to curl up on the couch with a mug of homemade chicken soup and a good book.

As it dries, the rose comes out of hiding, but only a little. Thankfully, the rose here doesn't turn soapy. It just adds a bashful softness to the heather that I find intoxicating. I'm really on the fence about this one; I really enjoy wearing it and smelling it, but I don't how many opportunities I would have to wear it.

Thanks to the labbies for the frimp! Never would have tried this otherwise. Glasgow is an unexpected winner! :smile:

Wet, this is soooo pretty! I don't think I've smelled a Bpal quite like this one! It starts out fresh and green, though it's kind of hard to describe for me. After a bit, it becomes kind of herbal, I'm thinking it's probably the heather doing this. This reminds me of the smells that come out of my mom's herb garden, but in a slightly florally way. Heather kind of reminds me of lavender in a way, but not as pungent as some lavenders can be. The blackberry adds a slighty berry vibe, but does not take away from the fresh herbalness of this blend. This is so well blended, and reminds me of my mom. I may spring for a bottle at some point when funds allow, but for now, I'll just enjoy the imp. Well Done!!

So, I've been wanting to try Glasgow since I found bpal. Braveheart has been my favorite movie since I was in junior high and that's probably why I have wanted to try this one so much. I hope I like it!

In imp: Smells just like soapy water. After using a white bar of soap. Hopefully that changes.

On wet: Still white soap. There is a tangy, herbal, clean thing going on. I'm assuming the tangy thing is heather since I don't know what heather smells like. I think i'm getting some ozone too possibly.

Dry: Still like soap but softer now. I really am only getting hints of blackberry in a very subtle way. I think my skin amps berries though so maybe it will sneak out more over time. The more it dries the more it softens and the tangy thing is disappearing, thank goodness. When I get a slight waft of the berry scent I am surprised at how lovely it smells. I think I really like this. It smells very clean and and soft. I think I could imagine Murron smelling something like this. :)

Glasgow is a soft, pretty floral. It goes on a little tart at first, but that soon fades. I don't get much blackberry from this, but I'm sure it's in there somewhere and my untrained nose can't smell it. I mostly get a soft, simple, floral which I think must be the rosy heather. Glasgow is a light, natural scent on me, and not perfumey ... it blends into my skin really well. The only drawback that I have about this is that it fades within half an hour, perhaps because it is such a light scent.

Edited to Add: Glasgow has really grown on me and I ended up ordering a bottle :wub2:

Edited by becca_s

This really doesn't smell like Glasgow - Glasgow smells of sour beer and stale cooking fat!

This is far too pretty, very soft floral heather and almost creamy once it has dried but I don't pick up any blackberry which is a shame. It fades within the hour on me so it just doesn't have the staying power to use again.

imp: I don't smell blackberry at all. Just...herbal soap.

wet: lots more soap.

drydown: not liking this one so much. It goes intensely soapy on me and stays that way for quite a while. Reminds me of my Grandmother's potpourri dish. :unsure:

Glasgow was sent to me by mistake (I'd ordered M.oscow) but it was on my wishlist anyway as Glasgow is my most favourite city in the UK. I was a little skeptical as to me Glasgow should be a Charles Rennie McIntosh building in a bottle, particularly, the Glasgow School of Art building... drool. So, should include blackberry and heather but also thistle, red brick, slimy moss, grey rain, wet dirt, etc.

Anyway architecture geeking over... I wore this on a cold and rainy day in Bristol to profile a small brook (basically profiling just means falling into the river and sliding in the mud at least a dozen times while trying to take precise measurements) thinking 'well, at least I can pretend I'm in Glasgow'.

In the imp I got a vague sweetness.

On my skin... it was akin to a high street sweet floral... or as Maleficium says above, kind of like potpurri.

It did have amazing throw, everyone on the excursion told me I smelled sweet - even after sliding down the bank into the freezing water - and lasted all day despite the water adventures. It just doesn't go with my skin chemistry.

You win some, you lose some.

I ordered this as part of an imp pack. I should have gotten a bottle, unsniffed! This is heavenly, on me.

Wet, I get blackberry and something green - the heather?

On - I don't know what it is, exactly. It's like a just almost-ripe blackberry, but with a floral-y sweetness to it. All I know is I can't stop huffing my wrists! This is very light and refreshing on my skin, and I will be ordering a bottle for spring and summer wear, ASAP. It makes me feel cool and refreshed just sniffing my wrists, something that might come in very handy when it's really hot out!

It's so tempting tae write this in the style of Irvine Welsh, I cannae even tell you... but I'll stop know, I'm annoying myself.

In the imp: Sweet blackberries with a herbal edge.

Wet: What I assume to be heather - a herby rose scent.

Dry: Awww, I was hoping for something badass enough to reflect actual Glasgow (I'm saving up to move there), but I just get a handcreamy heather. After a few hours, this smelled just like the dry stages of the Apothecary, weirdly.

... ye ken?

This is one BPAL scent I consistently get compliments on! While it goes slightly powdery on me (oddly, I don't seem to have any issues with soapiness or laundryesque notes), it fortunately doesn't morph all that much on me. This is a really wonderful warm weather scent, with a perfect balance of fruity, green, and slightly rosy floral notes. I'm very likely to get a 5ml after the imp runs out.

Soft, cool heather, dribbled with blackberry juice and wrapped in a misty breeze.

Glasgow reminds me of washing my hair after brewing heather beer. Obviously, we're missing the warm hoppiness, but it's quite charming.

Surprisingly, I'm in love.

Glasgow+my skin and nose=not meant to be. I like the scent of heather, and the berry in some other BPAL scents, but somehow the fruit and floral combined on me to amp an extremely-sweet bathroom scent. Augh.

Posting from my old (summer '06) BPAL review journal; I will update as I retest

(circa July '06 - don't know if imp was lab fresh or eBay lot, so imp age/freshness is unknown)

I tested this without checking the scent notes...

In the imp: Glasgow is floral, yet clean. It reminds me of high summer back home in Southeast Alaska (which, ironically, is similar in climate to much of Scotland).

Wet: On my skin, it is a bit richer, but in no way cloying. I am getting a bit of something that I would *swear* is the Sitka rose (a wild five petaled rose that grows all over back home). Yup - I want to slather this on and wander around in a scent induced haze of treasured childhood memories :wub2:

Dry(ing): after a few mins (5 or so), I'm picking up a hint of fruit... Berry, perhaps? Berry, rose, and something that reminds me of a heather scented candle I had as a kid, living in Sitka. I took that candle everywhere, including to school, lol.

Dry: Yes, it's official - I'm in love. I will have to reapply often, as this fades after an hour; but it is *so* worth it. This is a beautiful amalgam of rose, berries and heather, and it reminds me of a very happy time in my life as well. Double win!

Current thoughts:

I read the scent notes for this, and I was spot on in my estimation of the scent. Well, sort of. No *actual* rose, but I think "rosy" in the scent notes is close enough ;) This is still a scent that I love, although I have so many imps and bottles now that it has fallen out of use. I need to correct that...

Edited by beakerwill
Punctuation...

In the bottle: Herbal Essences. And heather. The heather is there once I give it a chance to be less shampoo-y.

Wet: Heather. I see what is meant by “rosy”!

Dry: My skin seems to be really amping the rose? I guess I can sort of tell the blackberry's edging through? - Ah, after about 20 minutes the blackberry is definitely there, and it's starting to smell beautifully like being on a moor. Yes. It is like being outside and it is lovely and I love it: it smells not like blackberry cultivars, but like proper wild blackberries, with that hint of a bite to them and the complex taste and the small firm segments and lots of pips - I can almost feel them in my mouth. Yes. This has really cheered me up. Hurrah.

On me, this is a faint, generic scent, sweet but powdery. My skin just eats it and it's mostly gone after an hour. I don't smell berries or heather at all, just a sort of bath-lotion rose.

Wet on skin: Miscellaneous green things. Kind of pleasant. Nothing I'd identify as blackberry, but heather, sure that could be heather.

Drying down: Rose. Artificial rose.

Dry: Artificial rose scented soap.

To the swaps with ye!