Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Glasgow

The rich scent of wild blackberry breezing over gentle rosy heather.

I had high hopes for this one, as a big fan of Scotland, and BPAL has not let me down! This is sweet but not oversweet, calm, thoughtful, feminine but not "girly", and slightly wild. The mix of notes puts me in mind of blackberry jam enjoyed in a forest, with a freshly laundered blanket to sit on and a bouquet of wildflowers nearby. I also envision gray skies and a cool breeze, but maybe I'm just suggestible, thinking of Scottish weather. I feel so soothed when sniffing this! May need a bigger bottle indeed. Yum!

The first scent I tried (lightly at first, and then splashed it gleefully on my wrists):

Old Glasgow

In the bottle, I smelled sweetness, almost like violets. On the first application, I really smelled the blackberries. As it dried, it turned to the smell of wildflowers (the heather) or a meadow being walked through. The heather really prevailed. An hour later, I kept thinking, "Why do I smell roses?" And then realized the smell keeps tricking my nose into thinking of roses, but I don't like the scent of roses and I like this. It does have the aroma of crushed flowers, as if they had been walked on.

My husband's first reaction was funny, because I had picked up the dog when it was still wet on my wrists, and now my dog smells like blackberries.

I love this one. I feel like it matches my personality and reminds me of places I have loved.

This was very bright and fruity wet, but after a couple of hours of wearing it, the blackberry and heather have blended into a soft, warm scent. The blackberry is still the most prominent element, with the heather underneath. This one's a keeper, I'll probably order more when I run out of this bottle.

Old Glasgow

I got this one from Miggins, and it is a delightful blend of blackberries and heather. Each scent is complete and compliments the other, neither overpowering at all.

Straight in the vial it is a strange blend of blackberries and heather.

After the drydown, it mellowed to a beautiful scent of heather overlayed by blackberries.

Unfortunately this scent fades fast, but for the time that it actually lasts it is beautiful. Definitely a keeper and worth getting a much bigger bottle. :P

I wish this scent liked me more so I could like it more!

First sniff: Smells like and herbal/floral. Like lavender but...not. This has potential.

Wet: Hmm, going floral (what a surprise). I'm getting hints of rose, hints of fruit but mostly sweet

Dry: THis is not working on me. I now smell sweet but there's this cloying quality to it that is just making feel...bleh. Too bad, because I wanted to like this scent!

The heather in this smells vaguely rosey, which makes for a wonderful blend of roses and blackberries -- at first. But then, as berries are wont to do on my skin, they become powdery and cloying. Oh, my precious berries....why do you always do this to me?!!! :P

First application of this unleashes a very sweet, fruity smell which I assume is the blackberry. Weirdly, though, it smells almost the same as the tropical fruit notes in Machu Picchu for me. The heather starts to ground the blackberry a little, making the sweetness somewhat more bearable, but it still isn't quite my style. As the drydown progresses, the heather becomes stronger and thicker, reminding me a little of the background in Tintagel, though fortunately not turning fabric softnerish like that one did. I'd be very interested in seeing what a single note of heather is like.

So all in all, Glasgow is a nice scent if you are a berry type, but I don't think it'll become a mainstay for me.

In bottle: Blackberries and herbs. Similar to Bewitched, but it's far more medicinal and green.

On me: Berries bow to the background while the heather moves to the front. It's a bit green, but still retains purple fluff. I don't really know what heather smells like, so even now when it's in front of me, I can't quite describe it. I wish I could get my hands on a single note and figure this out a bit. Very intriguing scent, but ultimately not for me.

Wet: Sweet berries with a slight green twinge. Something almost...I don't know what heather is supposed to smell like. This is nice, but I'm worried about it giving me a headache. And it's not one of those instantly fall in love ones like I was hoping. It's still rather nice.

Dry down: Berries lightened with that touch of floral. This is less complex than a lot of the other scents. I'm not saying that's bad. I have to be very careful with complex scents as I never know what note might be making me ill or sending me into convulsions of happiness.

Dry: The floral wants to become the predominant scent, which is okay as it's not one of those florals that sends me running to the bathroom looking for soap. It's a very nice floral, and I'm quite fond of it. I was just hoping for berries. Really, I kinda want to smell like a Strawberry Shortcake doll only in blackberry rather than strawberry. What can I say? I'm a geek like that. This is a much more mature scent that I thought it would be, which makes sense for Glasgow. There's that breath of berries mixed with that nice floral. I haven't decided whether I want a big bottle, but I do really like this scent. I'll wear it a couple more times to see how it plays out.

The blackberries smell so good, I wanted to take a big bite out of my arm.

Yum.

I've never been to Glasgow..this is a bit brighter, happier, less sort of misty and magical than I imagine that city, but a very nice daytime scent.

Like someone else mentioned, it didn't last too long on me and I had to add more mid-day.

Sweet, tart blackberries and the soft, dry smell of grasses and heather. Very fresh and feminine. On the dry-down I do smell a hint of the "green" scent that others have been describing. Overall, this one just isn't me. It's a bit too florally and soft for my tastes. I like my perfumes on the resin/spice/wood side of the spectrum, so I think I will swap this one off to a new home.

ETA: This one reminds me somewhat of Queen Gertrude.

Edited by Theravada

Initial Sniff: Blackberry and heather, just as promised. I can see where others got the impression of rose, as the combination does smell a little like an odd sort of rose. This smells fresh, happy, and grown-up (in an innocent but wise, uncomplicated, very grounded way).

Wearing: I would be surprised if this actually has any rose in it because it doesn't go all strange on my skin like rose blends. Instead, it stays true to the sweet florally herbally scent that I smelled in the bottle. It doesn't really morph into anything else - it just fades away over time. This scent has medium staying power - I can go several hours without reapplying.

Final Impressions: This is very beautiful, and I love how straightforward this simple scent is. I find this blend to have a calming effect, and it has very positive energy about it.

I love this one. It is like standing in a big field of heather. It smells fresh and inviting, calming. Then the berry kicks in just a little, like a wind bringing the scent along the heather. I have been in Scotland and the northern Midwest and the oil gives me the memories of berry picking time.

If I ever want a heather based oil, I will get this. Might be a good oil before bed, to give one wonderful dreams. If I ever get another Wanderlust scent, it will be this one.

Edited by Madame Nyx

Wet: Green soapy blackberries with a hint of boozy cough syrup.

Drying: The blackberry warms and sweetens considerably, the soapiness fades, the heather blooms. After time the blackberry and heather together seem almost too sweet.

3-5 hours later: Lingering berry sweetness with a hard sniff.

My favorite stage is right after the blackberry warms, but before the heather kicks in. I accidentally spilled this imp on a concrete floor during a class break and had to endure 1.5 hours of the cold volatile soapy parts wafting up. (I apologized to my neighbors but luckily they hadn't noticed... why, I have no idea. :P) That event definitely turned me off of Glasgow for a while, but I might give it another try down the road, since the blackberry was pretty nice.

Edited by amrita

Glasgow is the perfect blend of a heather field with blackberry bushes to the sides. As you step into the field, you can smell the blackberries kissing the wind as it wafts over the heather. *Sigh* I am in heaven.

Oh, wow. I had dismissed this as being overly heathery. I'm glad I gave it a second chance. This time: blackberries! This is so gorgeous. It's fruity, but not really, which makes no sense but it's true. It makes me think of blackberry bushes rather than just the fruit--the dark berries and the dark green leaves with the paler, sage-green undersides. This is beautiful. I bet it'll make a fabulous room scent, too.

annnnd my body chemistry strikes out yet again.

i got nothing green from this at all - not heather, not even blackberry leaves. what i ended up with was a "blackberry flavored" smell - the sort you get in candies and drinks that are supposed to taste like blackberry.

despite that description, it was more of a perfume-y than a food-y smell. i can't for the life of me figure out what candy/drink i'm thinking of, but i remember smelling something remarkably similar to this and being afraid to eat it, for fear it would taste like perfume instead of just smelling like it.

there was none of the tartness i love about blackberries... it was both sugar-sweet and floral-sweet, neither of which are really my thing, unless paired with incense scents.

to the swap pile with ye!

Edited by shadowsong

Origin:

Lagniappe from the Lab. :P

Preconceived notions:

I've considered buying an imp of this more than once, so I'm glad I get a chance to try it...I'm terrible about waffling on scents that I'm not sure about. My family is mainly Scottish, so I've been curious, plus I love blackberries although I'm not sure I want to smell like them. :D

First sniff:

Good God is that gorgeous! Glasgow isn't anywhere near as fruity as I'd feared. It's more like heather with a faint touch of true blackberry - none of that artificial BBW blackberry here. This smells like the real thing wafting over fields of heather. I'm so glad I tried this one! :D

Wet on skin:

The blackberry is still taking a backseat to the heather, which is just fine by me. I love the way this smells. It's very calming and clean in the same way that Oisin is clean. I have a feeling this would smell gorgeous on a guy, too, although you might have to resort to pretending there's no fruit in it to get it on them. :D

Dry down:

Glasgow is remarkably stable. It smells pretty much the same from imp to dry down: heather with a light touch of true blackberry. On me, this is similar to Oisin, but with the musk replaced with blackberry. I really like this a lot. :evil:

The bottom line:

This is really very wearable without my having to worry about smelling like I was attacked by a giant piece of fruit. I'm definitely getting a bottle of this at the next update. :D

Glasgow is a lovely airy-aquatic, and lingers nicely through the day.

The scent is like cold air over brilliant green, and the blackberry is barely sweet, drifting in and out. There are also tiny wild roses, the kind you have to look at twice to realize what they are.

I should get more of this.

Unfortunately, Glasgow didn't work on me, which was a major dissapointment, since I had lived there and would have loved a scent named for it! But on me, no blackberry, at all, even in the form of sweetness. :P All I get is heather, a very dry, herby, gritty heather...

I may try it again, and hope it was just bad chemistry that day...

I don't get any blackberry from this either. On me this is a clean, slightly soapy, wild-smelling floral (as in something that you would smell outside in a field, rather than in a flower garden or a flower shop) that develops an interesting salty note as time passes. Pretty, but not me.

Wet it's blackberry over a bed of florals.

Rich and balanced, with the perfect touch of sweet fruit.

Very, very special indeed. :P

It took me a little while to make up my mind about this one.

In the imp: Berry sweetness.

Initial application: Oh dear. The heather jumped up and got in my face, hovering on the edge of turning into either strong soap or air-freshener spray. Meanwhile, the blackberry was slightly medicinal, like a throat lozenge. I was afraid Glasgow might break my heart.

After about 20 minutes, it started to settle down, but was still a bit soapy-floral for my taste.

However... as the day wore on, the heather mellowed and the berry got juicier. A slightly misty/rainy note came in as well to complete the picture. I'm not sure this reminds me of Glasgow, per se, but it certainly does say 'Britain' to me.

I'm still not 100% sure if it'll be a big-bottle contender, but I've definitely wound up enjoying it today. Looking forward to a second test.

hmmm, i am wondering.....

no blackberries, or even the slightest hint of fruit. this is very very green on me, and a touch of ozone. heather is there but barely it is a soft clean almost soapy but not quite scent. i was hoping for some juicy berries *sigh* my wonky chemistry is at it again

I went to Scotland for Mother's Day, courtesy of Glasgow!

Wow, is this lovely. I got a predominant note of Blackberry all the way through, from application to drydown, and the scent remained pretty stable. The heather did come out more towards the end before Glasgow faded into a powdery loveliness. The berry was not too sweet or cloying. I adored this- it had a relaxing, cheerful effect on me that I needed badly that day. Thanks Glasgow :P