Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Glasgow

The rich scent of wild blackberry breezing over gentle rosy heather.

In bottle/imp: Spicy heather.

Immediately on skin: As soon as this was on my skin, the peppery feel I got from the imp is gone. I now smell the sweet and cool heather and a gentle hint of blackberry in the distance. There is sort of an herbal undertone to this though.

After a little while: As I wear this, the heather calms down into this soothing, cool blue floral. It’s lightly peppery and subtly sweet. The barest hint of blackberries lingers beneath, adding a gentle but perceptible sweetness. I have to say though that this has gotten very light on me. It doesn’t seem to have much throw, though the scent is nice.

Overall Impressions: This isn’t the most complex scent bpal has, but it’s light, cool, and pretty. It has a definite cool floral feel with a gentle pepperiness in the heather. The blackberry note isn’t as strong as the heather, but it whispers gently in the blend. Very pretty, and definitely a great spring scent. Edited by Delirium1009

First let me say that I am SO excited to finally try Glasgow. I have been eyeing this scent for a long time, but I always put it off in favour of other scents. When I got my Hallowe'en order and saw that the lab frimped me Glasgow, I squealed with delight.

in the imp: sweet berry!

wet: Sweet blackberry magnified, with a touch of a rose-like scent hovering underneath

drydown: the herbally rose smell gets stronger, and the blackberry calms down into less SWEET FRUIT and a more rich, mild berry scent. I really love this. The heather is definitely a nice floral that I like, I'm discovering.

overall: this scent does not remind me of my time in Scotland, sadly, but I do really like it. It's a very clean and fresh floral-berry blend.

keep or swap: Keep the imp, but it's not bottle-worthy.

This is mostly a light heather scent, with just a hint of berry lurking somewhere underneath. It's a perfect springtime scent, or for those times when you wish it was spring. *g* Definitely a keeper.

I decided this should be one of the more simple and straightforward scents of my recent over large order, thus first for testing. It is very floral to me in the bottle, but fairly mild on application, quickly mellowed by the berry undertones (which do quite well on me).

However, most humorously, we hopped into the car and my spouse said

*sniiiiiiff*

"mmm what are you wearing today?"

and I think aha! finally, we have perfume worthy of kid-disdaining ravaging.

offering my wrist-

"Glasgow. It has heather in it"

"mmm. nice. i like it. you smell like a dryer sheet"

"!!! a dryer sheet!!!"

"a very pleasant dryer sheet"

*sigh*

Somebody doesn't like florals as much as I do. I shall have to keep trying, because it is very pleasant. I don't think I'll be wearing it much this fall, but I suspect it will be a quick favorite in spring rotation.

In imp: Springtime in a bottle! I smell green grassy notes and tiny fresh flowers. Lovely.

Wet on skin: This is a pleasantly herbal mix, lots of greens. The description is spot-on; it’s summers in the hills and sparse woods amplified.

Drydown: It’s still fresh and green and not at all overpowering. There are some florals mixed in, but not enough to bother me. It’s overall a feminine smell, which surprised me upon testing it.

Overall: A nice spring scent, I love how genuine and green it smells. The softness from the floral notes is just enough to take it above and beyond just a grassy scent. Definitely one for the top ten and bottle list.

My first impression of Glasgow was of sweet berries and flowers. After it had been on my skin a while, I got a sense of fruit with a little floral... no, wait... make that a LOT of floral! (And floral and I don't work too well together.)

Over time, this one never amped into the flowers-of-headache-bringing-doom that I get with some other scents, staying instead a sweet, fruity flowery scent.

"Generic girl-perfume" was my initial impression, but upon reading through the reviews, I think I agree with the "really nice dryer sheets" description. It's a nice scent, but not one that works particularly well on me.

In the Imp

Fresh and bright blackberry. Very spring-y.

On My Skin

So far so good. I quite like this one, it’s sweet with a touch of tart. This is a light scent that I could wear to work without offending anybody.

After a Bit

Faded pretty quickly. I really liked the smell of this blend though.

Rating 1-5

Scent - 3.5 Throw - 3 Longevity – 1.5

Overall (not an average) – 2.8

Final thoughts

I’d like to retest this one in a scent locket.

Someone suggested that when ordering imps you order four with the notes you know you like and two just to try something new. I did that with Glasgow and I am glad that I did. When first applied it smells too bright, but as it dries down it really warms up. It's as if you are outdoors in the middle of a blackberry patch with the sun shining and warming the ripe berries. It smells fruity, but the heather keeps it from being too fruity if that makes sense. I'm delighted to have something different that works on me to wear when I'm in a different than normal mood.

In the imp: Fruity and flowery and oh so very girly.

Wet: The heather is strongest at first, dusky and soft. It's gorgeous on it's own. I can't foresee much throw with this one.

Drydown: The blackberry makes an appearance and mmmmm, this is smelling better and better. It mixes beautifully with the heather, creating something that's out of the ordinary and quite poetic in the simplest of ways. The throw, as predicted, is not strong at all. In fact, it's rather weak, but I don't mind keeping this one close to me.

Overall: I'm going to have to buy a bottle of Glasgow. The simplicity and subtleness of it has completely won me over. It's delicate and feminine without the need to bathe in the obvious and pungent rose/floral scents. It's a perfect light, springtime scent.

I'm not getting the blackberry in this -- in the imp it's all herbs, albeit very nice ones. I don't know what heather is supposed to smell like, but I guess this is it.

Dry: Blegh. I'm not sure how to describe this, but cleaning supplies come to mind. There's something in here that obviously doesn't agree with me :(

Juicy blackberries and soft pink & purple florals with a hint of aquatic freshness -- not the dryer sheet kind of aquatic, either. It makes me think of bright green hills covered in purple flowers with an ocean breeze wafting the scent of luscious ripening blackberries to my nose. Another poster used the word "lively" to describe Glasgow, and that's a perfect description!

On the skin, the blackberries amp most, and are sweet but not too sweet (in other words, they are perfect IMO!); the heather is soft, springy and fresh, with a bit of a herbal and even vaguely soapy undertone, but I mean that in a really good way. It's too bad it doesn't last longer on the skin, because skin-wear is the most beautiful way to get the full effect. It fades very fast. A slatherer.

In a scent locket it's more balanced between the berry, floral and light herbal/aquatic aspects. The blackberry doesn't amp as much and the scent is a bit sharper overall, but it's still gorgeous. Truly gorgeous. This will likely last all day in the locket.

Mmmmmmm, Glasgow.

In the imp: Tart blackberries, green leaves and sweet/herbal heather with a healthy aquatic/ozone zing to it. This isn't as sweet as I imagined it could be, and that's good. Just from sniffing it, I can imagine being out in the Scottish countryside, rambling through the heather and smelling the ocean breeze.

On, wet: The heather is definitely rosier on my skin, and it blends nicely with the blackberry, which is fresh, tangy and fruity. I'm still getting green leaves, although not as much of the sea air—just enough to keep the sweeter berries and heather in check. This is a beautiful, slightly wild and ruggedly beautiful place. In fact, this reminds me just a bit of the Jersey Devil, in feel if not in substance.

On, dry: Very rosy, lovely heather. There's only a trace of the ocean breeze and greenery now, but the blackberry is warm and sweeter, like delicious blackberry preserves. This is mellow, round and very lovely, a pale rosy purple scent with a trace of subtle green.

Later: Blackberry jam and a fat bouquet of heather, still with that lingering hint of green. It's sweeter and much fainter, but still delicious.

Overall: Given my own Scottish roots, I just had to try this one—and I loved it. It's subtle and beautiful, feminine but totally unpretentious, and it really captures the spirit of the place, from the sea air to the heather on the hill. It's sort of an instant pepper-upper, because it's hard to smell this bright, cheery scent without feeling a little bit happier.

Unfortunately light and powdery: not a keeper. I don't get any of the blackberry and the heather is powder. It also has absolutely no throw on me. Boo. :(

In the imp: Mmmm, wet, juicy, plump blackberries, grounded by something green and lush.

On, wet: Somewhat the same as it was in the imp, but with a dash of something that smells like clean linen and soap.

On, dry: There's something about this that reminds me of a perfume I wore when I was much, much younger called Sunflowers. It's seriously kind of tripping me out and taking me back to the early '90s. I like it, just as I liked it then, but I can't see myself wearing this because I'd just cringe at the memory of 12-year-old me.

I ordered an imp of Glasgow in my ongoing quest for a non-floral, non-sweet spring/summer scent.

Wet on my skin, I got a nice green-heather smell very faintly, with no blackberries in sight. Maybe they'll pop up on drydown?

Dry, I get nothing. Absolutely nothing. :unsure:

Ah well, on with my quest...

Fresh! A wonderful spring/summer scent. Its bursting with blackberries and lush with heather. This is a wonderful combination. It is very outdoorsy, not heady at all. very nice.

Very berry. Smells rather soapy though while wet. In the imp you could smell the heather a lot better. The heather comes out as it dries down. Gets a bit greener. Strange.

Retest 5.27.09-- Smells shockingly flowery & soapy. Where are those berries...? Settles down a little, but not enough, I think.

Imp: Sweet with no tart

Wet: Still sweet. Very light and pretty.

Drydown: Soft and fluffy with not a blackberry to be found.

Overall: Note to self - look for more blends with heather. It's a really nice, simple scent that feels clean and light while not going dryer sheet or soap

Some one here said "it's smells like one of those cone air fresheners in a bathroom" and I totally see that on myself at first! but, then it totally mellowed on me and I did get a lot of blackberry coming through with hints of heather.. it's really lovely.

I was shocked, upon application, to realize this smells like my Grandma Catherine, my father's mother that passed when I was maybe 8 or 9 years old. I didn't know it at the time, but she smelled like this, like a heather-based hand lotion, sweet and unassuming, feminine and comforting. The blackberry note is subtle, just enough to round out the heather and keep it gentle.

She looked a lot like Barbara Bush with her quiet grace, strands of pearls, and glorious cap of silver-white hair. Her top dresser drawer held a few treasures for us grandchildren to discover with every visit--an old "Indian" wallet, a small French doll with a traveling chest full of clothes and tiny button boots.

She wasn't Scottish, but a proud Swede married to a Scots-Irish man, and this is her scent. It is a time capsule perfume, a scent that isn't seen as very modern or youthful, but one that I think holds it's own very well as classic, feminine--the picture of wool and pocketbooks and walking adventures.

Wow, I miss her.