Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Polished metallic notes, glossy leather, frankincense, star anise, and thin lubricating oils.

This frimp almost got away from me! I was opening my BPAL birthday box in the car and it scuttled away under the car seat! Thankfully, I was able to recover it and try it out.
My first impression was "WOW! Leather!" Then the metallics, and the spice. I didn't think I liked star anise, but I love what it does in this blend. The overall effect is spicy and strong and expensive-smelling.
This is a very warm and cozy blend. Unique!

When I first put it on, the metallics (ozone?) really took over, and I'm not partial to those--too much like a guy's cologne.

However, as it dried down, a sweetness of--I think--the anise emerged as a counterpoint, which really counteracted the "man-cologne" initial impression I got. The two blend together into a smooth, indeed polished, scent. I keep getting the impression of "aquatic" from it which I know can't be right, but it reminds me of a "spring rain" type scent.

As it continues to metamorphose, the frankincense emerges and adds another confounding factor (for me). See, I love frankincense--even in a scent where I don't love anything else, frankincense can save it. I think that's what's happening here…

As far as I can tell, I don't get the leather note at all. I suspect my skin may eat leather, or maybe it's part of what reads as "man-cologne" to me.

Overall, it's not bad, but it's not great, either. And since I have a powerful love for No. 93 Engine, which has some of the better features of this one in common (frankincense!), I don't imagine I'll be reaching for this often in the future.

In the vial, it reminds me of a machine shop or a garage. It has a tinge of 'generic cologne' - probably the leather and star anise, something vaguely petroleum based, and a hint of exhaust. I know it sounds weird, but that's what it smelled like when I opened the imp. Color, oilslick black.

Wet on my skin, oh wow. I'm getting leather and frankincense, with a little sweetness from the anise and a bit of the acridness from the 'lubricating oils'. This is so much better than I expected.

10-15 minute drydown - There's a little bit of sharpness coming out from the metallic notes, which is nice. That keeps the frank from being too heavy. This is soooo much nicer than I anticipated. Definite bottle material.

30 minute drydown - Spoke too soon. Apparently, I amp mineral/metal/oil notes. Erk. All of a sudden, I smell like a gas station. That interesting, not unpleasant petroleum acridity I was smelling... now smells like I spilled half a gallon of Unleaded on myself. Same thing happened with Inganok Jewelers, but not as bad. Whew! Stinky!

My friend ended up talking me into adding this to my imp order because the notes reminded her of what our favorite fictional space marine might smell like if you were to give him a big hug after a long day of him working. He's all I could think about as I opened this one up, and it's exactly what I was expecting and more. I can close my eyes and smell his greased brow that had been collecting oils and dirt as he worked tirelessly on the various machinery around the ship, and the leather is the warm hug you give him after missing him all day. This is amazing.

Edited by Sultaana

In imp: Very soft. It's very much like Mechanical Phoenix, save that I get a whiff of anise.

On skin: Discovering that metallic notes disappear the moment they hit my skin. I think I can faintly detect anise, maybe with the leather and frankincense blended in. These add a spicy/nutty flavour to the blend, but overall the Scarab is vanishing and barely detectable.

Verdict: From what itty-bitty-little I could smell, The Robotic Scarab could've been quite pleasant. I wish metallic blends worked on my skin! Sadly, not worth keeping.

Frimp

The smell from the bottle is making my mouth water :huh?:, it's reminiding me of the smell of my boyfriend's hair right after he's washed with Head & Shoulders. I can't even begin to imagine what notes are making that smell?? This is my first experience with metallic and lubricant oil scents so I am not sure what they are meant to smell like, or how they will turn on me. This didn't stay very strong on me and pretty much remained a non-descript head & shoulders sort of smell on me. Odd, but I'm glad I got to try something different.

Out of all of the metallic, steampunkish blends I've tried, this is the only one that has smelled like I thought it would smell. After trying Galvanic Goggles and Kroenen I was a little afraid to try this one, but I'm glad I did. It's not at all acrid like those two were. It does smell mechanical, but in a pleasant way. It's masculine and leathery and oh so good. I really like it on me, but I would LOVE to smell it on a guy. I'll probably attack my current interest with it next time I see him.

Ugh, ok, based on the notes in this I would not normally go for it, but in the imp this smells desperately sexy. I've been dying to try this imp forever-I still remember sniffing it at will call when it was first released and going DAMN. It's like unf sexy metallic cologney goodness. I normally hate leather but it doesn't bother me in this blend at all. We'll see how it goes on my skin though...

Nggh, I wish I could get my boy to wear bpal because I think this would smell so sexy on him-it's like a sexy clean metallic scent cologne-the star anise is just perfect in this. The frankincense/leather give this a dark, mysterious edge. Sometimes the leather smells a bit too strong, but mostly it behaves and doesnt go ashtray doom on me.

I'm the kinda gal who likes to wear super girly scents-fruity, foody, light/bright florals. This isn't really a ~me~ scent, but it's just so rawr and sexy. I seriously cannot even imagine how hot this would smell on a guy. :yum:

I really do love this blend-it dries down just as sexy-maybe a little more leathery but a crisp, clean leather...less cologney I would say. Maybe I'll try to nab a partial of this and beg the boy to wear it...

When first applied, this smells like an old fashioned powdery sweet cologne to me. Very interesting! It turns more masculine and that powdery sweetness fades just a bit after time goes on, and while it's probably something I wouldn't wear, I could totally see my man wearing this! It's very sexy! :yum:

Imp: Ozone and leather. Weird and a little :( I was hoping for a good kick of anise.

Wet: This goes on like a men's cologne. I'm assuming there is ozone in those "lubricating oils" because it is really, really piercing. There might also be mint in here because I am getting that tingle I get from anything with mint or menthol in it. The other predominant note is the leather and maybe a little citrus-like hint of the frankincense.

Dry: In order: Leather, ozone, frankincense, star anise. It's not terrible but it's not drool-worthy on me. In fact, it's kind of... professional? Like a slightly twisted office-appropriate perfume? The sort of scent I'd wear for a meeting regarding my mortgage at the Arkham Savings and Credit Union?

Throw: Close to the skin.

Overall: It walks the line between "office appropriate leather" and "just really damn weird" on my skin so closely that I know I just would not be comfortable wearing this on a regular basis. It is damn weird, however, and I will probably hang onto the imp for sniffing purposes when I feel like messing with my olfactory sense.

This smells mostly like leather and the lubricating oils on me. I was hoping for more frankincense. This is a very unusual blend. It really does smell like someone who has been working on machinery all day long. I'm not sure if I'll wear it often, but I think I'll keep the imp because it's such a unique scent.

First Sniff: Faint new leather and perfume.

Wet: Leather and a Middle Eastern herb, probably the frankincense.

Dry: During the dry down this became perfumey with only a slight hint of leather leftover which was disappointing. However, once it dried completely it mellowed out a bit and I think I can smell the anise. Sadly, no lubricating oils though.

My Reaction: I’ll probably hang onto this one simply because it’s Steampunk, but the overall scent wasn’t that pleasing to my nose. I didn’t get the metallic notes and the overly flowery perfume was not particularly pleasant. And why does it fade so quickly? Maybe I need to slather on lots to get any kind of lasting effect or throw?

Rating 1-5: 2

Impression: I am a robot and I just went for a very refreshing swim. (I guess in thin, clean flaxseed oil or something that robots would like to swim in.)

I think I get separate notes if I try: leather, metal, resin. Maybe anise? I think so. But really this scent is one of those that transcends its notes to a round smell-scape. It's a bit confusing because it seems sophisticated yet also maybe sporty. In theory, it ought to smell of the working class machinist. But that's why I still say: I am a swimming robot - refined, sporty machine. I keep smelling it; it keeps intriguing.

I agree that this is what I thought Steamworks would be, while No. 93 Engine, Antikythera and Phoenix Steamworks underwhelmed me with steampunkiness (while having other virtues, to be sure). This one smells refined (read Victorian) yet like exotic metallics (read complex, overwrought mechanisms).

The imp was a sniffy, so i didn't get too much from the wand,but the scent seems to lack throw. Still, it smells really good. To me, this is a fresh man scent, but it could definitely work unisex.

Edit: I can't stop thinking about this. I've scraped every last bit of moisture from the sniffy like a desperate junkie.

It is gobsmacking. Golden resiny warmth balanced by a bright, wet edge. A warm frankincense infused, brassy scarab with leather wings that still smell of crushed star anise from the fingers of its maker, a curiosities dealer in steampunk hong kong. Impolight was right in calling it "eroticized C3PO" - golden, metallic refinement - absolute perfection.

I had some chinese floormates once that made 5 spice flavored potatoes regularly, the halls smelled of cassia and star anise and golden potatoey loveliness. This scent is even better (and I really like potatoes).

Edited by Urpflanze

Every note stands out, especially the oils, leather and anise. I even get the metallic notes. There has to be clove in here although it's not listed, because it reminds me of Saqqara v2 with leather/oils/metal. Masculine but wearable for a woman, and I kind of want a bottle just for the name.

I'm trying to remember what made me think I would like this....it must have been the Frankincense. I sniffed the bottle in the middle of one of my DD sniffing binges, and was fascinated enough to buy an imp.

In the Imp: Greazzzy, metallic, and something spicy trying to be floral? Like lillies left to die in a transmission shop...

Wet: OMGLEATHERWTF. Nothing but brake fluid and leather....pleasedrypleasedrypleasedry.

Dry: MUCH less wretched....there's the sexy spicy star anise and francincense I was promised, but I still get wafts of leather and eau de motor oil from time to time.

This is ne to try on the Mr., because it defininetly isn't for me.

ETA: On Him, it's all spicy/leatherness, with none of the clashing I experienced. Perfectly masculine, in a sweaty, garage-y way. Yum.

Edited by Autumnsky

This is one hell of a nice men's cologne..

Imp: Aftershave balm. I can smell the frankincense, spices, maybe something like lavender and rosemary. So.. herbal spicy goodness but with a soft creaminess. I guess that could count as "glossy".

Wet: Yes, smells very mainly and tarty fresh and aquatic. I can detect the frankincense and the anise. How wonderfully it blends! Only slightly sweet and oh-so-good!

Dry: Frankincense, anise, cinnamon, maybe myrrh. Only a faint leather note. Very manly and really fragrant. I will get a bottle for the bf. :D

This is so metallic in the imp, and I can catch the slightest hint of frankincense. Wet, the metallic notes are fading and the resins are more prominent. This is smelling better on me than I would have ever expected. There is something sightly medicinal in the background, but it is still so warm from the resins, and slightly sweetened too. I don't even smell any star anise in here. The leather is very faint, which is surprising since I amp that stuff like nobody's business. It is staying medicinal on me with a hint of frankincense. While it is better than I imagined, I ultimately wouldn't wear this.

In the imp: Warm leather and expensive incense. Gender neutral. Thankfully, I can't single out the metallic notes or oils, they just meld into the scent.

On my wrist: The metal emerges and tips this scent into the masculine spectrum. A little too much so.

Dry on my wrist: The scent has softened and become almost comforting. No note is too strong, they are all in harmony.

When I close my eyes and breathe in this scent, I see a man in the corner of a very upscale bar. He is dressed well, but in an understated way, and he is never tacky. He has enough money to take him anywhere he wants, but the charm to take him there for free. Especially with the ladies. Would I wear this scent, no. I wouldn't mind meeting that man though... :twisted:

If you missed out on Old Moon 2011 then give this one a try. I was so surprised how similiar they are. I get the same leather note with the same sweetness that I adored in Old Moon. This one does have a different start with metallic and spice, but the dry down is so close I would have a hard time telling them apart. I can not believe this one has missed my nose for so long ;). It is georgeous, warm, and comforting. I need to get a bottle in my next order.

Edited by damonkitty

I'm kind of obsessed with The Robotic Scarab. It's a frimp from the lab, (an extra goodie that came along with a 5ml bottle that my brother bought me for Christmas!) and I'm so glad they sent it along, because it's super awesome and I never would have picked it out for myself.

In the imp: The metallic notes are sharp and strong, and - this isn't going to sound like a compliment, but it totally is - instantly reminded me of the metal instruments in a hospital room. I think the leather note added to this effect, too, reminding me of the smell of wooden tongue depressors. Really intriguing, and totally different from anything else I've ever smelled.

Wet: Once it's on my skin, it smells pretty much the same as it did in the vial, although I definitely start to smell the anise a bit more, which makes it seem sweeter and less masculine.

Dry: Unfortunately (for me), the metallic notes are the first to fade, leaving behind mostly leather and frankincense. But it's still a very pleasant scent, and I find it very comforting.

I already have a 5ml bottle of this on order. :) 5/5 stars.

Edited by Cthulhuesque

I think I need a bottle of this...

Wet: Gorgeous light oils and the star anise shines giving it a very exotic Egyptian feel.

Drying: Barely there metallics gloss over the frankincense and star anise. I love this. Highly polished leather adds all the more to this scentscape.

Dry: The oils are still there and the star anise shines with just a bit more metallic bite.

Absolutely perfect.

Let me start this review by saying I really enjoy the smell of fresh motor oil. I'm serious, before I pour the freshly opened quart into the engine, I always take a few whiffs. Would I want to wear that smell? No, but it's a scent that I enjoy smelling and it brings back old memories...Moving on...

In the imp: Frankincense, anise, a bit of the metallics. I was scared to try this as the two others I've tried from Steamworks have gone awry.

Wet: Every note in here seems to take turns coming out and saying,"Hello there!" Cheesy, I know, but bear with me here. First it's the metal, then the anise, then the leather amps and peeks it's head out. It changes enough on me in the first 10 minutes to make my head spin.

Dry: This is good. This really smells like what I would imagine an old, dirty auto shop to smell like, but in a GOOD way. I mean old, classy cars that have been renovated with brand new leather seats. The auto shop would have tools scattered everywhere with an oily residue on them, the floor has old oil spills that have dried. It's the old town garage that people go to because they know the guy is old-school, been in the community for 50 years, and wouldn't lead them in the wrong direction.

But, the big question is: Is it bottle-worthy? For me, I'm not so sure. I love the smell of it, it's a very inspired blend, but it might be one of those scents that I love to smell (motor oil) but would rather not smell like. I am going to keep the imp and see if I can use it in the car. My car's very own BPAL!

In the imp: Hm.. Smells like the leather note in "The Bow & Crown of Conquest" mixed with Axe. Very masculine and nothing I would pick out for myself.

On me: Leather and saffron. Yes, you read it! Saffron. Or is it yeast?In any case, this is a very manly smell, but in a good way.

If I had a man here, I wouldn't mind if he wanted to wear this one.

One hour later: Leather and saffron/yeast still.

I don't mind this scent at all, but I don't think it's anything I would wear very often. I tried it on at night and barely couldn't sleep since it was so strong. But it felt like I had a man next to me, haha!

The last steampunk blend I tried was No. 93 Engine, and that was basically my boyfriend, so I'm looking forward to this one!

In the imp: OOH. Spicy-metal amazing. :wub2: This is really strange, but there's almost a floral-fruity undertone that reminds me, of all freakin' things, of Blossoms in Springtime. I have no idea what that could be, but I'm okay with this!

On me, wet: This, to me, is the perfect olfactory representation of a legendarily beautiful ruby dunked in Goldschlager. I definitely smell something like cinnamon, and this is a very glittery red and clear scent to me. The leather comes out more as it starts to dry...okay, so a ruby wearing a leather jacket, drinking Goldschlager. :lol: Honestly, I really like it--it's kind of what I expected Dragon's Blood to smell like, and there's something in here that does remind me of the part of Dragon's Blood that I loved before it because horrible cinnamon chalk. It's rich red spices, metal, and a tiny bit of leather.

On me, dry: I'm not sure I need a bottle, but I like it and the imp is going to go fast! It's got these two sides to it, this devil-may-care attitude from the metal and leather and this super classy air from the spice and whatever smells like dragon's blood, and it feels like it would be appropriate to wear to a smoky bar or a ritzy hotel, but not really in-between. I think this is a scent for a formal geeky event, like a masquerade ball at a convention or something. :D

The description to the Robotic Scarab is, what I'd like to call, extremely accurate to the fragrance itself. The note which I notice the most, personally, is the star anise and the leather. The smell of wet brass (described as lubricating oils and small moving parts), is a very unique note in the blend which never fails to be noticed, no matter how faint it becomes.

This fragrance, to me, smells like a spicy, unisex fragrance. However, it falls more on the cologne side. Think a steampunk, 'epic-ified' version of "old spice" cologne, and there we have Robotic Scarab.