Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Gwydion

The Buggre Alle This Bible

Crumbling paper and ancient cracked leather with a touch of tobacco leaf and incense.

In the imp this reminds me of my Mom playing cards...she smoked all the time, and would play solitaire with her "Benson & Hedges" deck. And I remember sitting in the floor watching her, trying to figure out how to play but being too little, and playing with the tobacco-scented foil from her cigarette packs. That is what this smells like in the imp, the foil.

On, it becomes a dry, neutral tobacco-paper smell. Less strong, and much more something wearable. No dirty ashtrays, no stale smokiness, just tobacco. It's a nice smell, and much less deadly than actual smoking. Edited by Shollin

at the outset, there is a strong wood scent. i couldn't place it, but someone here said sandalwood, and i think that's what i am smelling. bpal's sandalwood turns kinda wonky on me at first, but now that it's dry it smells better. it's warm incense with sandalwood and leather. not sure about the paper or tobacco, perhaps they are background notes on my skin. there is something sweet in there, almost floral...maybe that's the tobacco. i like this scent, but i don't think i'd wear it often, and the sandalwood-morphing is too slow for me to really want to wear it.

On wet this scent comes out very incensey. Dry the incense simmers down and the tobacco/leather notes come up. This smells a little masculine on me, I think this would be heavenly on my guy.

Mostly sweet (from the tobacco) leather. It smells just like a Bible cover, to paraphrase Bobby Hill. Very musty.

Buggre Alle This Bible - This is a soft scent full of the odor of paper and ink hot off the presses. Within 15 minutes, however, it turns entirely to soap on me. The person I passed it off to absolutely loves it, though.

Since I'm the person Edenssixthday passed this off to who absolutely loved it, I figured I could try to eke out a review here.

In the bottle, it's sharp woods—maybe sandalwood—and a subtle leather.

On my wrists, it alternates between a dusty incense, warm woods and leather, and sweet soft tobacco. A lot of reviewers say this is too masculine for their preferences, but to me it feels perfectly gender neutral. Another reviewer's comparison to a freshly unwrapped pack of Benson & Hedges is spot on. After 10 minutes, it melds into a perfect composite of paper or books warmed by the sun, a little leather, and fresh tobacco.

A+, I'm ordering a bottle today as this half decant is not long for this world!

There is a redolent warmth and spiciness in Buggre which reminds me of Malkuth. This leather is indeed ancient, but alive and glowingly warm. I get the impression of the incense and tobacco leaf notes being very dry; the incense has gone stale, and the tobacco leaf is of an old cheap cigar. The combined effect manages to be very elegant.

This is my favorite-named scent of all time.

In the bottle this smells very woody to me.

Wet: old leather and old paper.

Drydown: my college library, which is a very happy association for me. Also, the tobacco emerges. It really smells, however, like old, well-handled books. I'm not getting the incense note in this at all.

If you like this try: The Lurid Library.

Ahhh, now I can smell like I'm at work when I'm at home! I started working part time in my university's music library and if part of my job included walking through the stacks swinging an incense burner - this is what it would smell like :P Lots of bitter decay in the bottle, but once on the skin: Woosh! Hello leather and incense! It's a little strange, but that part of Good Omens always has me laughing my ass off. Good associations to the perfume.

I was looking forward to this scent so much and now I wish I'd never opened it up. I love the smell of old books and tobacco and incense and got an imp of this to inspire me while writing a character who very much smells exactly like the description.

In the imp: dust, dust, and more dust with a hint of headache.

Wet: dusty and some sort of pungent something that I think is the tobacco. Very strong, very headache inducing. I'm already nauseated but praying it will soften and I'll have the scent of my dreams.

Dry: more tolerable, very tobacco/leather.

I am sick and have a headache. Woe. I may try this on my boy but I'm scared of nausea 2.0. Will have to find a different box to store it in till I can swap it out. Even the outside of the imp makes me feel ill. :[

I love love love this one! I smell all the notes and they just blend beautifully together. There is something poignant about this scent.

I can't wait to see how it smells on hubby. :P

Initial impression:

All that was promised – incense, tobacco leaf, leather and old books.

First on:

Incense and tobacco leaf – yummy, wise and booktastic.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, this is a potent blend of tobacco leaf and leather. Mm, books.

Hours laster, it's a dusty but manly scent thatr reminds me a lot of Dee.

Finally:

Lovely, but I'm not swayed enough to keep it, I think...

In the bottle: Dark, old, books. Very old library! I'm a bookworm and a librarian; this works for me...

Wet: Definitely smell the tobacco. Spicy incense.

Dry: More tobacco, more sweet (from the tobacco?). It still makes me think of old books! My grandmother's basement, with stacks of them. Dry old pages, with old flowers and clippings from 60 years ago pressed inside.

I love that someone said that Rupert Giles would wear this. I could totally smell this on him. Mmmmmmm. I don't know if I would wear this for every day, but I want to curl up around it next to a fireplace with a cuddly blanket and a good book.

Edit: a couple hours later, and I am sneezing. Noooo! It smells more sharp now. What is hitting my nose like this? Spending too much time with my nose in this dusty musty old book?

Edited by Aoibheann

impsniff: smells like vetiver :P

on skin: vetiver and gag-inducing dry, dusty leather.

i get no paper, no incense and no tobacco - just a vial full of scents that don't work on me. ah, well. was worth trying!

edit:

i gave this another sniff before i send the decant along to a better home, and now all i smell is cedar. but, then, many "wood" scents turn to cedar for me. :cry2:

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

In the bottle – Clean, washed leather and a hint of tobacco, it’s a bit like the tobacco in A Bold Bluff, Herr Drosselmeyer and the original Hearth

Wet on me – The paper is the main note, clean and dry, but touched with the tobacco and incense

Dry on me – A clean, slightly sharp wood scent that fades down to a musk

Overall – At first it’s a little sharp, but I like the dry down. I’ll consider it further, but it seems just a little too masculine for me.

I seem to have trouble with the lab's leather note sometimes. In some blends it behaves, and in others it smell sharp like fresh patent leather (even through the description clearly states "cracked"). This is what happened here. The paper and tobacco smell divine, unfortunately the leather note here ruins it for me.

The first time I tried this it was to faint for me to smell, but i did have a sinus infection. I tried it today and my boyfriend said has someone been smoking in here? He sniffed me and said that's not good it makes you smell like an ashtray. :cry2:

Geeked for this scent-

In the imp: Dust, leather & resins.

Wet: I feel like I'm opening an ancient book - the cracked leather blooms into a burst of air from dusty, crumbling pages.

Drydown: The dust's settled, now the tobacco and incense shine through (faintly, though, as if the scent was accumulated over many years of exposure, long ago).

After a day's wear: Fades to incense & leather after several hours.

Adding a bottle onto my next order!

Edited by Castrensis

The name piqued my interest, so I decided I should try this in honor of my general disgruntlement towards homework. ;)

Leather! Though very indoors-y, if that makes sense. Dusty and kept inside a dark place for a loong time. I think there's a smidgen of vetiver in here. This overall effect smells rather like "gray" leather to me; a little bit like Dee as well. Smooth, well-worn, and tinged with incense and tobacco smoke, as described! It's very nice.

Oh dear, this is Lurid Library (my go-to used book smell blend) on steroids...everything is amplified and overexaggerated to an exponential degree. The paper note is bolder, as is the incense note...there's a buttery element that doesn't exist in LL that's here that I really like, the dustiness is more pronounced, as is the cracked and worn leather. It's like all the disparate elements really pop here, whereas in LL they just kind of blend together more, I think. I love this. I'll be getting more!

:heart:

When it is wet, it's all paper, paper, paper... and the scent of a freshly sawn wooden plank. I didn't really like it all that much at first but on the drydown, I get something dusty and bitter. I can't imagine what that could be... is it the tobacco? I probably wouldn't wear it on its own. Might layer it with another lighter scent to add some depth. :D

... oh, I am getting an elusive whiff of something that reminds me of my antique hunts with my father. Wow, now I really want to make a trip to Guangzhou.

I think I am growing to like this blend. :D

Well, this did not end up smelling like I thought it would. None of the notes show up on me that are supposed to be there lol. What I DO smell is cedarwood. With a touch of a clean linen scent. That's it, but MOSTLY it's cedar on me.

I have been dying to try this. Sometimes things are not worth the wait.This smells like cologney incensy paper. :eek: Where is my tobacco leaf? My dry dusty paper? *sigh*

ETA: This dries down to a cologney incensy dry paper smell. Alas..it will have to find another home.

Edited by Dark Alice