Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
hellomoonglow

Ether

Translucent blooms, ethereal white resins, and davana.

This had a lemony light scent at first sniff, but on my skin it morphed into a powdery fluffy white floral with a faint underwhiff of honey. Very sweet, harmless, not terribly interesting, alas. There are other florals and powdery blends I like better, so I think I'll pass this one along.

Aquatic and citrusy, but with a strange compliment of sweet florals.

I'm not sure about this one, I really don't go for aquatics most of the time. A success for the concept, though!

3.2 out of 5

I can't pick out any individual notes other than ozone, but I did smell something citrus-y. Maybe grapefruit? Anyway, it smelled nice for about 10 minutes and then faded into the ... (wait for it)... ether (feel free to groan now).

This is an unusual and intriguing scent. When I first put it on and sniffed it, my nose tingled a little bit. Maybe a drop of eucalyptus? If so, it isn’t overwhelming at all. I don’t smell any eucalyptus, and I wouldn’t have thought there was any in here except for the nose-tingle. The floral notes in this are soft and unobtrusive, and the whole scent really does have an airy white quality.

I like this one. Based on this test, I’m going to try wearing it for a day and see how it goes.

Also, I don’t think I tried anything with davana in it before Pollution, but I see it’s in Ether, too. I liked it in Pollution, and I like it in this. I think I need to add davana to the list of notes I like.

Imp: Barest of ozone, and fresh laundry on

the line. Bare citrus in the background. White with a hint

of green

Wet on Me: White! White clean flowers but,

not overly sweet white flowers.

Drying Down: Clean laundry but not a soapy scent.

Like Laundry drying on the line outdoors on a summer day.

Dry: Totally a blue jeans and t-shirt scent.

I love this! Bottle worthy

In the vial and when it's wet, it smells almost exactly like Szepasszony to me. If you put unlabelled bottles of each under my nose and asked me to identify which is which, I'm not sure I could. It's a citrusy, almost effervescent scent, almost like lemon-lime soda.

Dry, it's a different story. Szepasszony stays ozoney/citrusy on me pretty much from start to finish, while Ether turns floral. I like florals but the notes in this just don't really do anything for me. They seem kind of "muddled" and a bit too muted. There isn't a lot of throw or lasting power here and it makes it difficult for me to really form much of an opinion about any of it. It's not really "there". I guess Ether is a great name for it!

Ether - When I first apply this, it smells like a really light, clean, bright, pretty floral. It was a lot stronger on my skin than I expected. However, as it began to dry down, it took on a soapy quality that got heavier and heavier until it consumed all of the other lovely smells, so it’s one that’s just not going to work for me at all.

this is a pretty floral aquatic. very clean and fresh but with a hint of sweetness. it smells like freshly shampooed hair to me. it's kind of familiar and comforting. it's also cooling-perfect for the spring and summer.

In the Imp: Sweet floral and oranges!

On the Skin: Oranges oranges oranges! :P

After a While: Faint - soapy florals and oranges.

Verdict: Quite lovely! Will need a retest when my fall allergies have passed as it was quite faint. I think I like it!

In the imp, it's really floral, with some citrus and ozone-type notes. Also a bit something else, because it DOES smell a bit industrial.

Wet, I'm getting a lot of that "bit industrial" scent, with just a bit of the floral. Maybe the "industrial" is from the davana.

Dry, it's not very floral on me (a big plus!) but it's not very strong, either. I think my skin ate most of the scent. It's a bit industrial still, but there is just enough floral to keep it from being weird.

I'll have to see how long this lasts and try it one more time before I make a decision about it.

Ether

In the imp: a fresh zingy citrus-herbal-floral. I think that’s the davana I can smell.

Wet on skin: there’s gardenia in here, and a citrus blossom (neroli or lemon blossom) too.

Dry: this is very pretty floral cologne. There’s a hint of that gardenia note that often turns bad on me, creating just the barest hint of smoky petals, but in here it is such a small amount that it is bearable. The main notes however are citrus blossoms. I think both orange and lemon blossom are in here, as this scent is very citrus-y and cologne like. It smells perfumey and fresh. There’s a tiny hint of what might be frankincense to this as well, a smoky resinous tang, and that herbal note from before. But it’s mainly sparkly orange blossom cologne.

After a while: the scent then turns to a papery, wispy and soft smoky floral. It almost smells like there’s a hint of poppy or opium to it, it’s a smoky floral which is light and incense-tinged. I now smell something like narcissus, in addition to the orange blossom and davana, and I think there’s a hint of white amber here as something about this reminds me of Pollution. It evokes dry, papery petals floating in the breeze, mixed with a hint of smoke.

Verdict: I was expecting this to be a bit like 51, which I adore, and whilst there’s a resemblance, there’s also something in this scent that I’m not keen on. One of the floral notes is most probably ‘evil gardenia’ and it turns very sharp and burnt on my skin. there are other flowers here though that are quite pleasant. the drydown is a soft white floral with hints of smoke and cologne, and some of the resin notes come out at this point. It’s a very ethereal (of course!) scent, wispy and airy and luminous, otherworldly at times, but it doesn’t quite work on me as well as I hoped it would.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? not really.

If you like this, try: 51, Pollution, Angeronalia, Kindly Moon, Languor

This was difficult to review because it falls in a very hard to describe kind of vein. I guess I was expecting something light and airy and got a really strong floral scent. It's very unique to my nose....i can't pick out anything individually but it's strong and unique. After awhile, it fell into an "annoying floral" category that i wanted to wash off my arm. I didn't pick up the resins that I was aware of...or at least if i was looking for "morphing" of the scent, I didn't get it.

Starts off sweet with a slightly sharp note. The sharp note fades and I'm left with really sweet flowers. Throw is minimal but I love it so who cares if someone next to me can smell it? :P. Lasts a few hours as well.

3.5/5

hmm, nice! very fresh & lovely, also still soft, I dunno hat I'm supposed to smell exactly but I know I like it! :P

Wet this is violet and sweet orange maybe. When first on this is sweet white florals and orange. Maybe lily of the valley too? This smells like a blend of white and pale lavender flowers. There's also a touch of tartness- almost like the Lab's green tea note. This is a light, soft and sweet white floral blend. This doesn't change much more on me. This is nice but doesn't really stand out to me.

Light and airy, ever so slightly sweet herbal smelling freshness. There's something like a touch of aloe here. It's a fairly comforting scent for all its lightness, like newly washed hair in the sun. Close to the skin mild muskiness and tolerably light florals. There's a lovely lemony touch in one of the resins here.

Edited by lilacea

This was another Lab frimp, and a well-chosen one at that. I'm intrigued by the Steamworks line in general (and by steampunk in general, though I've never really dabbled), but have thus far only tried one other scent from it. And now the decision has been made for me with regards to trying another one. Woo!

In the imp: Very soft and subtle. No note smacks me in the nose. There's something vaguely aquatic/misty and something a little sweet.

Wet on skin: Okay, there's ozone in here! The vaguely misty note is also still there, and the slight sweetness now seems distinctly floral, though not overwhelmingly so. This is not a bouquet stuffed in someone's face.

Drydown: Freshly dry, the misty ozoney part of this blend is by far the most prominent thing. Florals are there, but intangible, kind of like they're actually made of the mist. At one hour in, anything vaguely floral has become part of the whole misty feel.

Five hours later: Mostly the same blend of notes as at the one hour mark, only fainter.

End of the day: A little bit of ozone is left.

Overall: This scent fits its name absolutely perfectly. Throughout the writing of this review, I kept wanting to use the word "ethereal" for the scent, but I refrained because it seemed redundant with the scent's name itself. I realized, though, that there is no better word for this, and if the smell is ethereal, than the thing producing the smell must be Ether itself. Though the scent is misty-vapory, it still seems like it's something just thick enough to be tangible, to be shaped and do strange vaguely magical things. In that way, it totally works with the steampunk idea of ether. It also strongly reminds me of fog, which may be less magical, but still works in weird ways sometimes. I also like how the white florals in here work as part of the tangible mistiness, rather than standing out as white flowers specifically. These are white flowers I can get away with, I think, and I imagine this will be a good scent for summer, when it's stupidly hot outside.

I think "translucent blooms" is exactly right.. as is "ethereal". It's one of those blends that you *think* you know what it smells like, and then it changes.

At first dab, this was very green and citrus-like. I was thinking.. gardenia - definitely a white flower. But after about 5 minutes the green faded, but the citrus was still there - I'm still thinking gardenia but now verging on more of a jasmine or honeysuckle - still definitely white flowers but it's not a real strong floral note.

Alas, after about 15 minutes it's all but gone - granted I only put a dab on my skin.. but it was a reasonable dab, and now I really have to poke my nose around on my arm to tell where it was. But when I find the spot.. it's quite lovely, very soft and light.

So unfortunately for me, this lived up to its name and disappeared into the ether. Even if it hadn't, I'm not sure I would want more than an imp of this - there's so many other white floral/citrus options that I don't need another one, particularly if my skin's just gonna eat this up like it did today. However, if you love those mysterious glowing white clean and crisp floral blends, try it out.

An opportunity to give resins a chance. I typecast myself in to florals

Imp: Lemon-y fresh...not gonna lie, it's a bit like the cleaning solution I use

Wet: Still in cleaning solution land, but there's something pepper-y to it now. I might be pleasantly surprised by drydown

Drydown: The cleaning solution is gone and replaced by great smelling clean laundry. The florals are more aquatic than soapy, and I guess it's the resins that are giving it that clean edge

Overall: I actually like it! It's a very Casual Friday Just Want to Smell Clean kinda scent. I don't know if I'll get much use from it, but I'll hang on to the imp and see how it goes

It's like The Unicorn crossed with Johnson & Johnson's Baby Shampoo. Which is not a bad way to smell, but not something I'm going to reach for very often.

Oh, Ether. I've been having difficulty describing this one, even though I've worn it more than any of the other imps from my first order. At first I get a mercurial citrusy/floral blend, and then it softens, the citrus vanishes and I get an ozoney, strange note that I can't identify. It reminds me of the crisp, stormy smell in the air at home, sometimes, in the morning. Love it so much.

I have no idea what davana is so this will be a surprise.

First sniff is lemony and ozone-y, kinda like Lightning. Only in this case, the ozone fades instead of taking over.

After a little bit, things get flowery. This smells almost exactly like Szepasszony, only less ozone. I like both blends, but I didn't wear Szepasszony a lot, and I probably wouldn't wear this one much either. Pleasant without being particularly memorable (on me).

very much floral and sharp. it reminds me of things with ozone and now, it's making me sneeze.