Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
seamor

Dragon Moon 2008

… Our Dragon Moon represents the forces of rebirth and the vigor that springtime brings: dragon's blood resin, galbanum, blue sage, lavender, peppermint, sweetgrass, frankincense, moonglow magnolia, bergamot, and green cedar.

This was one of those rare Dragon's Blood scents that I thought would work for me. I tried an imp, and it was lovely. I tracked down a bottle about a month later and it went to soap. Strange. I tried the imp again, and I got soap. I kept trying this throughout the month, and it just wasn't worth the effort to track when it would be best to apply it.

What I wanted: Cedar, DB, peppermint, lavender, sage.

What I got: Toothpaste.

There is some note in a regrettable number of BPAL's blends that inevitably goes to slightly resinous toothpaste on me. I think it's galbanum, I was just hoping it wouldn't be so nastily prevalent. It's not the peppermint, since things without mint notes have in the past turned to toothpaste.

Going to let it sit for awhile, but at least for the moment....

Toothpaste. Yech.

Working through my entire collection to review or revisit and quadruple-test-drove four Dragon's Blood scents today, this among them.

I was gifted with an imp of this a few years ago and was so besotted that I was thrilled to be able to buy a bottle off this very Forum. I am embarrassed to admit I don't recall what lovely boardie was kind enough to sell it to me, but I know she made GORGEOUS cap-labels because this stands out in my box with its beauty.

(I also owe a huge debt of thanks to the lovely forumite who gifted me with this imp to start with ... it was a double-gift of this and The Ifrit, which have become among my top two BPAL scents EVAH!)

The scent equals the label in its loveliness.

IMP: Dragon's Blood, yes, but not that obvious upon first sniff since this is such a complex and complicated blend. I would use the term busy (just look at all those notes!) except that sometimes I think "busy" is a euphemism for something that doesn't work, and this really does! I'd call it rich, complex and green.

Dabbed onto my wrist.

WET: Just very, very beautiful with a different note coming out upon each sniff. I'm not totally sure I'd recognize the Dragon's Blood for what it is among all of the notes without the list ... while "green" to me in the bottle, when applied it is more golden. Sweet, slightly spicy, mellow. I think the frankincense is the most predominant note for me. Which isn't a bad thing.

DRYDOWN: Light and lovely and remains a golden blend out of which I'd have trouble picking the notes but put all together is an absolute winner.

OVERALL: Outstanding and lovely. SO glad I was gifted with this and so glad I was able to buy it.

On a scale of 1-5, a 5.

In the Bottle (ITB): It's a bit green from the sweetgrass, sage, and a touch of peppermint, but cedar and peppermint do seem to appear after a few seconds.

Wet: It's wet, strongly resinous with the dragon's blood muddled with the sage, lavender, and peppermint. It reminds me of baby oil a little, but it's also a scent I wouldn't mind using for relaxation.

Dry: Once dried, the sage and peppermint mellow down to the extent that the frankincense, bergamot, and magnolia can shine. I like this one!

I've had this imp for a year now and never tested it. It's now a big 10 years old, so let's see if it held up.

First whiff is pure resin. I like it even though I’m usually not a fan of dragon’s blood. On my skin, cedar, and then puffs of peppermint emerge. A little woodsy. I don’t smell a lot of the very distinct dragon’s blood scent, but it’s there lurking in the background. I think I’m getting some herbal lavender, too. Makes me think of going for a walk through some very fragrant woods. Definitely getting bergamot on drydown. A very calming nature scent.

Seems like it held up very well after a decade!

Starts out light green medicinal like Avon Skin So Soft then dries down woody with more cedar than BPAL's fruity floral dragon's blood. Not floral, just a powdery edge. Not pepperminty, just brightened. The herbs lend a bit of a magickal, ritualistic feel, although I would enjoy more sage and sweetgrass in this. It's okay, more atmospheric. Might use for meditation or ritual. 

Edited by RoseThornAndOak

A tingly, sparkly green scent with a slithery, murky dark undertone. Cedar, mint, frankincense, sweetgrass and the lavender lift this up to a really bubbly, joyful blend, and the db resin, sage, and other notes (and i swear a dirt note) give this a molassy-type sweet depth. Very different but really enjoyable!