Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
jj_j

Rome

Refined, austere and graceful. A recipe gleaned from Classical Rome: cypress, juniper, chamomile and rose.

Wet: rose and chamomile

Dry: Tea rose, with a hint of chamomile and something green behind it. My skin really likes to amplify rose; I wish I liked it more.

This is not what I was expecting at all. I thougt this would be more 'golden,' more because of the name of the scent than because of the notes! :lol:

But...this was more green and fresh and herby smelling. I get a bit of pine (?) from this. Not really too heavy. No rose though. Alas...

Very very juniper-y in the imp. A bit sweet (not sugary though). Getting some cypress-not much chamomile or rose. Yes, on my skin this is super juniper-y with some cypress. Fresh and clean and a bit sweet. Still not much chamomile or rose, at least while this is still wet on my skin. Maybe a little juniper-cleaning-products-y. As this dries, it goes WAY more cypress-y/woody and less juniper-y. Also, the rose comes out now (still no chamomile really)-the more it dries, the less woody and more rosey this becomes. This is a huge morpher on my skin. On full drydown this is a soft woods/rose scent. I pretty much lost all the juniper. As I said before, this was a HUGE morpher on me and I get the feeling it could be very different from person to person. Not something I would buy, but an interesting and pleasant scent experience.

I do not like this one at all. In the imp and wet on my skin, all I could smell was the bathroom in the poolhouse. It got a little less acrid as the rose took over, but this is the rose that doesn't like my skin. All I smell is soap.

Off to the swap/sale pile it goes. :ack:

First Sniff: Some sort of fresh citrus mixed with a hint of green leaves.

Wet: Light lemon. I think I can detect some rose too.

Dry: As it dried down, the lemon faded to be hiding in the background and the rose popped out a bit more (although not as perfect a rose as The Rose!). It also softened to a point where I could smell the chamomile.

My Reaction: Unfortunately, I didn’t get the juniper or cypress at all. And in all honesty, I would’ve thought Rome would smell more like laurel leaves, smoke, stone and power. This was a soft scent that faded rather quickly on me. Pleasant, and feminine, but not really something I need to buy more of.

Rating 1-5: 2

Wet: Bug spray. The notes sound good, though, and scents tend to morph a lot on me, so I want to give this one a try anyway.

On my wrist: Still bug spray I'm afraid, but this would be the nicest smelling bug spray there is. I also smell something humid and green.

After a few hours: A bitter green scent, probably the juniper. I never picked up the rose. This just doesn't work for me, I'm afraid.

Rome faded very fast on me. Not much after I made the previous evaluation, the scent is completely gone.

Astrigent and herbal lemon at first, dries with with a lot of evergreen and seriously, the teeniest bit of rose for me. It's a nice clean smell but this has zero throw. If it lasted a bit longer I think I'd hang on to this imp, but off to the swaps you go, Rome!

Disclaimer: My review is from an imp of unknown age, so I don't know how it would square with something fresh. That said, though, I really liked Rome. It was a more "dried" green scent than fresh – lots of juniper and cypress, some camomile, a little rose. It was very unisex, not strong, but it did fade quickly – I'd probably put it in my hair if I wanted it to last all day.

Rome was a frimp for me in my last order. I found it bright and fresh in the bottle, reminded me of my fave lemon verbena soap. Overnight it morphed into a David Austin classic rose. It is a good, lemony rose, going on twelve hours now! I will be using this one again for sure!

Received as a lagniappe in a swap. I'm pretty sure I've tried this before and it didn't work for me but I can't recall why and I didn't review it, so adding this to my project of reviewing and/or revisiting every single scent I own, including ones that I know are scents of death (those are the next two on the list, later this evening, before I shower LOL).

IN THE IMP: Cleanser? Clean cleanser, not Pledge or Lysol, but definitely some sort of household cleanser.

Applied very delicately on wrist.

WET: Very very faint. And still like a cleanser. Maybe "toner" would be a better word for it. Like the flowery water they sell for sensitive skin? It's not strong, it's not interesting, it's not complex. I add a little more to try to get a read on it and it still remains so faint on me I can barely smell it.

DRYDOWN: Of course, the rose rises and that's my least favorite note in the blend. So it's basically very faint rose. Clean rose. Enough that I know I'm wearing something with rose in it, but that's about all. Not in your face at all.

OVERALL: I guess this would be a good gift if you wanted to give a scent to someone who doesn't really like strong scents. It's not unpleasant.

On a scale of 1-5, a 2.

ITI: It's astringently green but comforting at the same time from the juniper, cypress, and chamomile. At this point, I'm not picking up the rose note, but I'm actually okay with that.

Wet: Ah, there's the rose, adding a slightly powdery, pinkish sweetness to the bitter juniper and cypress, while the chamomile soothes the more bitter tones of the scent. As someone suffering significant ice-pick migraines currently, this scent is strangely soothing. I'm going to bring it with me today to see if it can just help provide that sense of calm I need right now.

Dry: The rose develops nicely as it dries, blooming into a full-bodied red rose that gently shines alongside the chamomile against the greens (which have subsided to more subtle tones). Very nice and something I would consider getting a bottle of.

This was a frimp from the Lab.

In the imp: Cypress and juniper.

Wet: Now I smell the rose.

For the first few minutes it’s on, Rome has a wonderfully clean, fresh smell. Then, unfortunately, the cypress and juniper turn to Pine-sol. Not exactly the pines of Rome.

The throw is almost entirely rose. After about an hour I get an almost candylike smell that I realized is the chamomile, mingling with that rose note.

I really like the idea of this blend, but I don’t think this combination of notes works fantastically well on my skin.

Wet, this is just GREEN GREEN GREEN. Fresh and clean smelling but a little overwhelming. The green-ness calms down after a bit, but this is a masculine scent.

A very clean scent, but oddly enough, what I smell most is....lemon?? Is that the juniper I wonder? Because there's nothing in it that should make it smell like lemon, but on me it sure does! It's nice. Not WOW or anything, but nice.

Very happy the Lab frimped this to me! Not something I'd normally get but I wanted an imp to take to Rome with me this spring.

In the imp this was a very herbal, just getting cypress and juniper. Clean and green.

This one stays pretty much the same wet and dry for me. This is golden, herbal, and sparkling. The chamomile comes out and and is warm and golden. It's a fresh chamomile, not like dried chamomile tea which was what I was expecting. Unfortunately I'm not getting any rose from this, but it's pleasant enough.

In the vial: Chamomile with herbs. A tinge of rose.

On the skin: Yeah, this isn't very pleasant to my nose but certainly makes me think of Rome. The juniper disagrees with me, which of course my skin amps. This is a very clean, fresh scent, not exactly green but in that vein. Very herbal.

Wet: The juniper is overpowering when wet, combined with a little cypress in the background. It is almost too much - at first I smell like eau d'industrial campground bathroom cleaner. But Rome dries down into a lovely, herby-astringent rose. It's quite nice and relaxing - smells like an expensive spa treatment. I think this could be a good sleep scent if applied about 45 minutes before bed.

Dry: The rose is quite understated and refined in the background - it's there - but the cypress and chamomile take center stage. As a rose lover I'm thinking of layering Rome with a more straightforward rose scent and seeing where that takes things.

All in all I quite like this. I'm not sure if I need a big bottle but I just might!

I'm gonna be honest, I got a slap in the face of nostalgic related love for roman history only a couple of days ago and man have I been anticipating this one since. :P

In the imp it's a lovely, vacation-y smell. Warm, dusty, slightly sweet. Herbs and rose (which thankfully amps on my skin).

Yep. It's love. Gonna need a bottle of this one! :wub2:

Imp: very faint whisps of the juniper that are getting trampled by the Rose
Wet on Me: faint chamomile and cypress, Rose is still hogging the scent light.
Drying Down: Rose, rose, rose. all rose all the time. very heady rose. heady air freshener rose. At least that is what my body does to rose. Amps it all to high heaven
Dry: sigh...just rose. I don't know if I will ever find a scent that has a rose note that does not amp on my skin something fierce. Rose notes do NOT play nicely with others on my skin.

Pretty blend in the wet stage. The first impression on my skin is of white chamomile, blue-toned cypress and juniper, an unlisted lemon, and a scant hint of pinkish rose. The chamomile doesn’t have any of the dry, pollen-like texture that I’ve gotten from some of the lab’s chamomile blends.

Rome, unfortunately, turns to soap on me in the drydown.

Woah on first opening the imp all I smell is Ammonia/ Cat pee, which is the juniper and cypress not playing nicely in my nose. Scared but swiped on lightly. Strong notes of Pine-sol although thankfully the cat pee is gone, dries down to a very watery rose which is quite nice but the initial cat pee is a deal breaker for me. Probably be suitable as a non binary/ asexual type of perfume? Definitely not my cup of tea, I've learned that I hate juniper (and cypress) except when it's in my drink.

Upright evergreens

give way to realistic

rose. Rome, I'm in love!

For daytime wear while

sipping cappuccino on

Via Veneto.

Edited by Lucchesa

Chamomile and cypress in the bottle, which turn to pine and rose. The wood makes a brief return, but then both pine and wood depart for rose, which is where I get off this train.

In the imp and once applied: Strong, herbal, astringent cypress and juniper. As it dries down, the rose and chamomile amp up more and tone down the astringent notes. Rose tends to go powdery on me, but I don't notice it as much here -- the cypress and juniper could be balancing that out. Overall impression is rose and chamomile with a backbone of cypress and juniper -- the latter notes don't dominate the scent, but they keep it from being a pure floral. I was skeptical when I first applied it, but the drydown stage is better than expected. Will hang onto my imp.