Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco.

Well, this is interesting.

Wet: tobacco flower and mint. The mint is just hinting around the edges to make it appear more cool.

Drydown: tobacco and vanilla.The teakwood or oak seem to morph into a sarsaparilla note on me. It smells more like a microbrew root beer, heavy on the root.

Dry: tobacco comes out a bit more. The vanilla backs off a bit. The woods are still making me think of rootbeer, although less sweet now.

Overall: it's nice. I don't know that I'd recommend it for tobacco lovers since I think the woods take precedence, but that could be just my chemistry. I do think it's unisex enough that men or women could wear it.

Elegant and intelligent, this is the scent of a Victorian gentleman inventor's study stocked with leatherbound journals, cigars and brandy. The vanilla isn't foody in the slightest, just a tinge of sweetness around the edges of a gloriously refined and woody scent.

On me this doesn't morph very much, but it seems to become stronger with wear, with an increasing throw.

I was gifted a bit of this to try as I am slowly being introduced to this new rabbit hole. I am unfamiliar with the majority of scents here so I can not give any comparisons I'm afraid.

With that being said, I love this more than I think I should. When I initially sniffed the vial, I was afraid this was going to be more of a scent for the hubby. But, as I'm sure we all do even when we're unsure, I skin tested it anyway! In the opening, I was still leaning to perhaps a -bit- too masculine for my tastes, but as it begun to settle in and latch onto my chemistry...oh wow. This is such a warm and comforting scent once it melds, this is the sweater scent you're looking for. I can say my first impression of BPAL is a winner. I'll be back for a bottle of this beauty, especially for cooler months.

My chemistry just makes this a vanilla coated vanilla with vanilla wood and vanilla tobacco and vanilla smoke. Did I mention the vanilla? I'm not sure I did. I smell like I was doused with a very expensive vanilla extract. Someone might be super excited about this prospect, but that someone is not me.

I mostly smell an oak note that reminds me of Black Annis. Another wood, similar to the dryest aspects of Ouija, comes through as well. The farther drydown reveals the dark tobacco sweetened by vanilla. I dk, need to test again. It was very masculine for me. One of the woods is so light it's almost citrusy...

I think my chemistry was off the first test day, because the second try was much nicer. The tobacco was smoky and heavy and the vanilla was rich and sweetened it nicely. The woods gave the effect of the box holding the mechanism. Beautiful woods and the heavy darker sweetness and depth of tobacco and vanilla. THIS is what I had expected the first time I tried. The wood notes lend an image of an old desk in a Victorian study. After a couple of wearings I really love this one!

My skin apparently loves the vanilla, because that was boosted right away. Slowly, the woods began to bloom out of it, and it turned into a rich vanilla woody mix. I can't smell the tobacco at all, which is a plus for me but might not be for others. I love vanilla scents so this was perfect for me - the woods really gave it a depth that I miss in more gourmand vanilla scents.

This is one of my first BPAL scents - now I'm hooked.

Date: November 15.2016

In the bottle: A gentle wet/moist tobacco scent, with a grounding wood smell. My brain recognizes the vanilla, but it isn't sweet like candy. It reminds me of a tobacco shop cabinet Right before the exhale, an incense like scent comes up front. More like a tobacco cabinet opened in a pagan shop/new age shop with unburned incense.

Wet on Skin: A strong tobacco (raw) scent. Cedar scent and vanilla are indistinguishable from the others. It reminds me of a lumberyard. It is very woody, but not living wood. More like a wooden pipe filled with tobacco before being lit. This is almost too masculine for me to wear, I want it on my husband (he has since refused).

Worn 30+ mins: The vanilla is coming out and is mixing well with the wood scent. It's creating a leather like scent.

Worn 3+ hours: The wood scents are dominate here, the vanilla follows with a deep note that drags into my lungs. The tobacco scent is nearly faint. Now the smell reminds me of the wood shops at the Ren Faire. This is a wonderful scent. I love it but it's almost too masculine for me. There doesn't appear to be any musk. Maybe my husband will like it. (He likes it... on me. He refuses to wear it, but loves it when I do.)

in the imp: tobacco... like sniffing a fresh marlboro, I haven't had a cigarette in 6+ years but this is what i remember opening a fresh pack to smell like. then the woods and the faintest whiff of vanilla follow. this feels more masculine than feminine to me, but i don't dislike it.

dark, bitter smoky. Remains bitter throughout, almost a burning rubber smell. I was very disappointed in this one.

This is one of those scents that, to and on me, is not even remotely similar to the descriptors (or other reviews I read beforehand here.)

In the bottle: This...smells like those coca cola bottle cap candies

Wet: Coca cola bottle caps and now...licorice. Black licorice.

Drydown: The cola is fading, but the licorice just will not quit. There’s spice coming up in the background now...so spicy black licorice. Or maybe ouzo prepared with sugar cubes and some pfeffernusse as a snack on the side. Ok yea, I like that comparison. Ouzo and Pfeffernusse.

Last/throw: Lasts all day, and has decent throw.

How I ended up with Pfeffernusse and Ouzo I don’t know. I had a few other people try it (in my family and friends.)
My mother also got Ouzo, cola bottle caps, and Pfeffernusse (she refused to put it on, this was from the bottle.)
My sister got spice and tobacco (she wore it.) Her friend declared that on my sister it smelled like 'a really good smelling head shop.'
On said friend, it went 'antique shop' which was actually really nice and what I had been hoping for. Like old furniture and a touch of vanilla tobacco.
My room mate
got Ouza and Flaming Dr Pepper (the shots.)

Ultimately I gave this to my sister and her friend. It worked much better with their chemistry...and something with the anise smell was making me sneeze. Also I hate black licorice with a passion. But it was interesting to see how it worked so differently on a few of us, and at least I was able to find someone it worked really well on to give it to!

Once it's on for half an hour or so, it's a barely there woody musk.

But that first half hour...whoo boy. It is terrible. The woods are sour, the tobacco is dusty, and the vanilla is nonexistent.

For me, the end result just isnt worth it.

In the imp: Tobacco with a hint of vanilla. 

On my skin:

Wet, it's the same as in the imp. As it dries, both the vanilla and woods come out underneath the tobacco. Once it's had a little more time to develop, the woods recede and get caught up in the tobacco. The vanilla is detectable in the background, softening and rounding out the scent. As it starts to settle, the vanilla and oak, blended, amp a bit so there's a note that's not unlike root beer alongside the tobacco. I like both notes, but the combination is a little odd. 

By about an hour after application, the tobacco dies down, though not entirely, so I'm left mostly with soft vanilla and soft woods. It actually reminds me most of a less sweet, less foodie Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener. Additionally, the throw on this is much softer. 

I received an imp of this and fell in love! I have since purchased a bottle. 

Imp: I can't help but smell oil and gears in this for some reason. In the imp I didn't like it at first but I accidentally got some on my nose when sniffing and actually liked it afterwards. 

I tried it on both myself and my partner. 

Me: I get wood, tobacco, but it's quite light, almost citrus on me but vanilla sweet not sour. 

Him: vanilla and tobacco 

Neither of the scents morph much on us, but I do think the woods faded first on me. My partner amps sweet but this wasn't overpowering. 

Overall: lovely, and something both of us can wear. It's not overall gourmand and I just love how the scent works on my skin. 

I have 2 frimps of this (I need to start putting dates on my frimps because I'm starting to lose track of when I received what). 

This is so lovely on me. Tobacco and vanilla blended ever so well together. It's sophisticated and I get none of the sour or mint notes some others get (yay!). This really does evoke a classic study, with leather bound books, cigar smoke and whatnot. A very work safe scent that skews a bit "masculine" and I may need a bottle. 

In the imp: leftover vanilla dessert in a wood paneled room that’s seen a few cigars. Smoky sweet woods. I literally smelled it and went "yummm..."

On my skin: it's reminiscent of slightly burnt caramel. As it dries, it's not so much sugar sweet as the association of sweet that vanilla has. The smoke is more campfire than tobacco, which is nice, and the wood is clearly oak. Lovely.

Scratchy tobacco and polished woods - more teak than oak. I can't smell the vanilla so much as feel it - it makes this scent smooth and warm. A traditionally masculine scent that isn't boozy or herbal - huzzah! An antique wooden box lined in gold and the dust of tobacco leaves...

The teak and vanilla together are rich and heady, loving how much the tobacco comes through, and the oak barely keeps it from too sweet. This is a good one for fall and winter,-cozy, rich, and just sexy! I'd say this is quite unisex, but my husband would consider the vanilla too sweet. 

This one is interesting. 
min the Imp: the sweetness of vanilla mixed with a woodsy scent

wet: very sweet with something I’m assuming is the tonka coming out.

dry: the vanilla merges with the other scents and deepens with the tobacco becoming something nice. It has a good throw and lingers on my skin for nearly the entire day

The Antikythera Mechanism:

Wet: Definitely a strong tonka note with a strange soapy-acrid undertone.

Dry: Whatever that sharp, biting note may be only becomes stronger on dry-down and it is not working well with the tonka and my skin. Washing this one off pronto!

Doesn't work on me!

In the bottle

Soft vanilla balanced by the woodsy notes and a hint of the tobacco.

On my skin

Vanilla? A little something sharpish/metallic pops up (oh no!) but settles back down. It's there if I sniff closely but it seems to be adding just a bit of an edge that compliments the sweetness of the vanilla. It starts to turn cologne-y which is lovely.

Dry down

DEEPLY SEXY. Like, I want to wear just this and nothing else.The sweetness and softness of the vanilla is perfectly balanced by the woodsy notes. I love the masculine cologne-vibe. It's elegant in a beautifully tailored three-piece suit way but with the top two shirt buttons undone.

Duration

This is an all day one on me.

Verdict ✔️

The Antikythera Mechanism is an absolute keeper. Loved how this one made me feel when wearing it.

Edited by donnaehm

In the Imp: Sweet light musk and something

citrusy or clean smelling (possibly the polished wood)?

On the Skin: The same light musk-like smell. It's a warm smell and it's sweetened by vanilla. I do smell a polished wood. I don't really smell tobacco or if it's there the sweetness hides it from me. "Masculine" but still yummy on my skin. I'd buy a bottle for both my husband and I. ❤ 

I've had an imp of this for a couple years now. Smells foodie to me. I get the warmest vanilla & slight tobacco, deepened with woods. Interesting, but not my taste.

In the imp, I get a strong chemicaly note that I can't really pin down. Maybe it's a wood polish or brass note? It covers up most of the other notes so I wasn't sure what to expect. Wet on my skin, this note persisted for a while but it did eventually fade as the perfume dried. I do mostly get vanilla, shadowed with a nice tobacco note. The wood notes are definitely there, supporting the vanilla. It is primarily a non-foodie vanilla perfume.

This is all right! I wish the tobacco was a bit stronger, but it is very wearable.

I can't decide if I like this scent. The oak is warm and woody, the vanilla is sweet but not gourman, the tobacco has that spicy, chewy quality of pipe tobacco, but the teakwood, the teakwood is chaotic neutral. I never know if teak is going to behave and be decent, or if it's going to wreck the scent. Here, it does the later. The teak amps the sweet aspect of all the other notes, which makes AM go overly sweet on me. It's such a bummer because this should be a no-brainer scent for me. 

I really like this. The only other one in this series that I've tried is the Robotic Scarab, which I liked so much I purchased a bottle. I may have to do the same thing here for Mechanism. If you have read A Dead Djinn in Cairo, or A Master of Djinn, THIS is the scent of that world. It is steampunk, it is ancient, it is mechanical, it is sacred. I haven't dabbled in too many teak-prominent blends before, and I like what it's doing here. The tobacco doesn't take over like I find that it often does, and the vanilla gives it just a little bit of sweetness. I'm sorry, did I say little? Because as it dries, it almost goes gourmand - not complaining though! I'm going to be obsessing over this lab fresh frimp before I make the big bottle decision.