Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Bronze gears spin inside a polished wooden case, and an entire universe dances within.

Teakwood, oak, black vanilla, and tobacco.

in the bottle: the teak is a strong note, right off. i got this because i loved the teak in Glowing Vulva, and it doesn't disappoint here either.

wet on skin: wow. the teak is opening up, blooming into something more complex. it maintains it's sweet, unusual wood note, but there's something more under it, i'm thinking it might be the tobacco. it's adding a depth and something a bit more...sophisticated? than Glowing Vulva

dry down: GORGEOUS. complex, sexy, heady, sweet without being over bearing or cloying.

in all: the sexiness of Smut, the beautiful complexity of Glowing Vulva, and something wholly unique in it's own right, Mechanism, in one day, has easilly slipped into my top 10 of all time.

get it!!!

:P :D :D

I agree with Violet, this scent is unbelievable!

It reminds me of a well decorated, oak paneled lounge, smoking fine cigars over a nice glass of bourdeaux or maybe a single malt scotch.

If I had 50 bottles of this, I would still want more. This is the wood scent I have been dreaming of, and lucky for me, it pulls in Beth's unbelievable tobacco notes.

In Bottle: Mmmm… wood, tobacco, and vanilla smelling vaguely alcoholic. This smells like display cases in Victorian gentleman’s study, fitting the concept beautifully. Wet: I know this doesn’t list a bronze note in the ingredients, but seriously, this does smell like polished brass mixed with the above. This is instant love. The wood gets so much richer on the skin and the tobacco and vanilla mellow into the others. I’m in love. Dry: The vanilla comes out turning the whole mix into something even more fascinating. I’m mesmerized. I can’t stop sniffing. The effect it androgynous enough to read as men’s cologne or darkly sexy women’s perfume. I can’t get enough of the way this smells on skin.

...and the award for Best New Scent goes to...

Antikythera Mechanism!

Yes, Antikythera Mechanism is stunning audiences across the forums with its smoky, tobacco-y start and heady vanilla finish. Though the big players in this scent are the tobacco and vanilla--and what chemistry those two have, whew!--let's not forget teak, in its best supporting role yet, and oak, who really keeps vanilla from going overboard.

We sat down with the cast to have a word.

US: So, tobacco, this was a big role for you--how does it compare with your other roles, like Perversion and Ogun?

TOBACCO: Well, this was somewhat similar to Perversion--you'll remember that vanilla and I were in that together too--but it's not as sweet as either that or Ogun, in which I was with melon.

US: Yes, we remember that. Both were lovely. Vanilla, how did you feel about working with tobacco again?

VANILLA: Well, as you know, Perversion was a smash hit. I'm glad that we got a chance to work together again in a scent that has such a wonderful cast of supporting notes. I personally am on par with tobacco in the beginning--

TOBACCO: On par?!

VANILLA: Okay (laughs) maybe not quite on par, you are the star, after all! But still, I'm definitely there--

TOBACCO: Yes, I can't argue with that.

VANILLA: But after my encounter with tobacco, I am stonger and sexier on the drydown. It's a very exciting transformation.

US: It certainly is. Now, you've mentioned teak and oak--how did the two of you feel about being involved in this project?

TEAK: I was very excited to work with vanilla. I've done mostly smaller parts where I've been the central note, but when they said I had the chance to work with vanilla and tobacco I just knew I had to do it. I took the opportunity to take more of a background role, but one that's still noticeable in the scent and that stays throughout the wet and dry stages.

OAK: That's true, you are present in all the stages. I think you add something very unique to the scent as a whole.

TEAK: Thank you. But don't let oak fool you, he had a difficult part to play.

VANILLA: Yes, oak is the deterrent for tobacco and I. He keeps us from becoming too sweet. He gives the whole scent more of a...oh, how can I put it? A calm feeling, almost earthy, but not...

OAK: Stop, you'll have them thinking I'm vetiver! (laughs)

VANILLA: Oh no, vetiver you are not. It's a very subtle, lovely green kind of note.

US: Oh, hey--sorry to cut this short, but that's all the time we have right now. Thank you so much, all of you. Any parting words?

TOBACCO: Just a thank you to BPAL and all their loyal customers.

VANILLA: We love you guys! *blows kiss*

Very strong! At least on me, that is. I definetly get the smokiness, although I don't know that I've smelled oak and teak before. I bought this particularly for the tobacco and vanilla. The cool thing is, after a little while (I was watching a movie) I kept getting a whiff of smoky vanilla. Of course, I did have 6 oils on my arms, whoops, make that 7, but I'm sure that this smoky vanilla was coming from the wrist with Antikythera Mechanism. A keeper? Yes. Not an emphatic yes, but yes, all the same.

Perversion stalked up behind Glowing Vulva like some great cat, slipping between the high grasses in the hot, moist air. He snaked one arm around her and she shuddered as he whispered in her ear...."you are mine"....

They worshipped each other for hours, there on the polished floors of the great hall. Bodies entwined, and their sweat scented the air around them with vanilla and tobacco.

Their legacy came nine months later....

...Ladies and gentlemen, meet the union between Perversion and Golden Vulva.......I present Antikythera Mechanism!

(This is like what I'd imagine the best parts of Perversion and Glowing Vulva would meld together to make in a bpal blend....totally beautiful, with a bit of softness, but an undertone of danger- I assume that's the tobacco note!)

I need more wear to be sure, but I think I'm going to love this scent.

It's an almost seamless blend of wood, tobacco and vanilla on my skin. Smoky, but soft and creamy at the same time. Very nice.

It's not masculine or feminine really. I'd say this blend falls in between.

Lovely. And it does feel very steampunk. Or at least refined Victorian gentleman.

This is an amazing blend. I ordered ten different bottles (Tikis, Dragon Moon, some Steamworks, and some Pharmacopoeia), opened each one in turn to sniff, and this is the one that made me go WOW! out loud and make my OH stare at me. Then I got up and brought it over to her to sniff, and she also went WOW!

It's warm and sensual and sweet but not too much. I don't know what teak or oak smell like on their own, but in this blend I can tell there's a delicious warm wood scent mixing with the sweetness of vanilla, and the tobacco lends a little spiciness to the whole thing.

On my skin, it maintains the same deliciousness -- there isn't a single thing wrong with this blend!

I already have it on my list for my next order -- must get a backup bottle. Possibly two. I LOVE this scent!

Nyomnyomnyom... 'scuse me whilst I rub my cheeks, cat-like, over my wrists...

Silky smooth exotic wood, rubbed smooth from years of handling... luxurious & yet functional, if you can imagine. So many of Beth's wood blends have a touch of harsh sandalwood, but not this one. The vanilla & tobacco are a faint veil of fragrant smoke that's permeated the woods somewhat, adding to the sense of age & use... It could be simply the power of suggestion, but there is the slightest tinge of something warm & metallic, barely perceptible, the cogs hidden within...

A pretty spring day isn't doing this justice... I can't wait to slather this on in winter :P

ETA: As to the Glowing Vulva comparisons, Antikythera is far lighter, and much less thick & sweet. They are certainly in the same vein, the vanilla & teak combination being really distinctive, but with very different feels... If you found GV just a hair too cloying sometimes, as I do, Antikythera is a spectacular alternative. And GC, to boot!

Edited by tartchef

straight sniff from imp is very similar to glowing vulva...hrmmm...

once applied this is fantastical!! i must agree with other reviewers as this is not as thick

as GV (amen!) and the polished wood and tobacco notes are truly astonishing...

great sillage as well...this is near and dear to my heart!!

now to find a big bottle :P

2 for 2 winners with the phonenix steamworks & research lab for this gal...yay!!

SEX. Victorian sex. Victorian sex with a mad scientist. Victorian sex with a mad scientist in his laboratory.

You had me at teak, black vanilla and tonka, I bought a bottle unsniffed. This scent is made for my skin chemistry. So sexy/sweet/woodsy/sensual. Perfectly balanced, rich and delicious.

OH.

When I first put this on, all I could smell was teak and I was like "damn, wood fails me again." BUT NO. When will I learn that the Lab's tobacco note is almost ALWAYS amazing? Its vanilla and tobacco with a fabulous woody base. I'm so glad I waited for my imps to arrive before I placed my next order, because this is a must.

and of COURSE this will age beautifully.

edit a few days later:

Okay, ever since I got this imp in the mail I've been reaching for it nonstop. Antikythera Mechanism is probably going to go down as one of my top 5 scents of all time. I bought a bottle. I think I'll need a couple more soon. This wonderful.

Edited by iiinterstate

THE ANTIKYTHERA MECHANISM

In Bottle: Sweet, smokey woods

On Skin: Ooohhh… so yummy. The teakwood is that gorgeous creamy blonde note that I have come to love as my favorite woody scent. The black vanilla is very sweet but also dark and deep. The tobacco adds a very smokey note and the oak offers the perfect solid base. This scent does have a more masculine feel, to me it’s like Glowing Vulvas male counterpart, sexy, sweet and drop dead fabulous. It makes me want to lean in, snuggle and maybe sneak a nibble. It’s feels like velvet and is quite warm. I love this scent and know even though I’m a woman, I’ll wear it when I want my more aggressive “masculine” side to show. Absolutely lovely. Medium throw and short to average wearlength.

The Antikythera Mechanism smells very similar to Lucifer but without the patchouli and sweetness. I actually think this is better than Lucifer, but my skin completely swallowed the scent within 20-30min. This is really good stuff though.

In the bottle: Mainly wood smells.

Wet on skin: Warm, dark wood infused with the lingering scent of tobacco.

Drydown: The vanilla is beginning to come out to play.

Dry: Similar to Perversion, though not nearly as sweet. I love Perversion, but have to use it sparingly because the vanilla can become cloying. With the Antikythera Mechanism, the sweetness is blunted by the oak and teak notes. It makes me think of a Victorian drawing room, with a gentleman smoking his pipe while his wife sits nearby reading. It's warm and comfortable, and makes me want to go wrap up in a soft dressing gown and relax with a nice hot cuppa.

Yeah. May have to get a full 5ml of this one.

Bottle: Glowing Vulva like

Wet: Warmer than Glowing Vulva

Drydown: So very similar to GV, but much warmer and more complex.

3.0 outta 5

In bottle/imp: Warm, smooth teak.

Immediately on skin: The teak is the main note in this blend, and all the others seem to blend into it. It’s sweet and woody with a very musky feel (probably from the black vanilla and tobacco). This is definitely unisex and VERY sexy.

After a little while: The teak calms down a little and blends into the other notes a bit more. This is a sexy, dark, slightly sweetened woody scent. It has just enough sugariness to balance out the wood notes, and isn’t creamy from the vanilla as much as just sweet and sexy.

Overall Impressions: I really like this. It’s a unisex blend and very sexy and deep. The combination of the notes is woody, sweet, and smoky. The black vanilla is gorgeous in this and the teak is kept in check nicely by the other notes.

Ohmigod, the best gentleman's cologne ever! And I'm not even a gentleman...

I dabbed some on my wrist, smelled, and was transported into some etheric realm of Victorian refinement. After a deep inhale, I thrust my wrist under the nose of my housemate, who was talking to a friend on the phone, and watched his eyes dialate and him start inhaling deeply. (He said later it was like he was trying to avoid sounding like he was having an orgasm on the phone, while he was sniffing this.)

It's light vanilla when it first goes on, nothing special, but then it BLOOMS. The teak comes out and blends with the vanilla, and it turns dark and woody and DEVINE. I'll take tea and ravishment with the wearer any day.

This is simply gorgeous! Anything that Beth makes that has tobacco in is always works for me, so I ordered this as soon as it was released. I was not disappointed at all. In the bottle, it is subtle and warm, with vanilla, teak and tobacco notes. As it warms up it the scent just seems to blossom and become richer, fuller and a little sweeter. It is very sexy too. This rates right up there with my most favorites. I think I will order another bottle to age. This is one that is going to be a beauty next year. :P

OMG this is amazing :P Seriously, best BPAL so far for me. It's a gorgeous smooth, creamy, woody smokey scent. It's "strong" without being masculine, and just a little sweet without being feminine. And the tobacco doesn't smell like a dirty ashtray on me, hurrah! And it lasts and lasts, far longer than any other oil I've tried thus far. I am definitely going to be buying a big bottle of this, because not only do I love it, my husband does too!

If you like black lace, you'll like this too. It's black lace's vanilla/tobacco combo with wood instead of sugar floss. But the good kind of wood, the polished, smooth, goooooood kind that you actually want to smell like (not the 'I'm going to get a splinter if I put my nose to my wrist' stuff). Perfectly well blended, long lasting and luxurious. Good stuff.

Smells a bit like Glowing Vulva, and… cologne. Men's cologne, and not a good one. Rats. Wait… getting sweeter. Vanilla gets much more prominent on the drydown. That's better. Vanilla pipe smoke in an oak chamber, with teak making a noticeable statement. Close and less creamy cousin of GV on me. Occasionally getting a sharp smokiness that isn't so great, but it goes away. Tobacco is trying to be fickle on me, I think.

I ended up liking this one very much, which is good because two minutes in I was going "UGH." It's similar enough to GV on me that I don't think I'll get a bottle... but might consider it as an alternative when my GV bottle runs out.

The Antikythera Mechanism is one of my very favorite artifacts in the world. I love all the shows that are cropping up now with the folks who have tried to reconstruct it. Looking at even the most complete looking reconstructions, let alone the views I have seen of the original, “vanilla” isn’t something that springs to my mind, and I’m not sure about the tobacco, either, but I totally get the woods. Anyway, an imp, at least, was a given when this was introduced.

Generally this is a warm, golden brown blend from start to finish. Teak and oak are my two favorite wood notes and they really work in this blend, both restraining and supporting/presenting the vanilla and tobacco, both of which can be rather thick and dessert-like on me. This, while certainly a robust blend, isn’t as solid and heavy as I rather expected it to be, given the named notes. The woods dry it out a bit and keep it afloat.

The dry down is long lasting, with not a lot of throw; a warm, smoky vanilla with dryer wood notes surrounding it. Comfortable, calm, stable, and gender neutral with a slight list to the masculine. I really, really like it. This may end up as a bottle. We’ll see how often I reach for the imp.

I thought this scent was going to smell like a cigar box. But as I try everything I can, I did...

And it's really lovely! Most vanilla usually wimps out on me, or powders out. But this vanilla stays soft and sweet, and contrasts nicely with the wood and tobacco. There's a deeper creaminess to this vanilla than the usual, too...ooh, I like this a lot!