Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Leopard403

Bruised Violet Compound

Crushed violets, red currant, patchouli root, and Spanish moss.

Received an imp of this as lovely lagniappe in a purchase from a wonderful forumite.

I was very intrigued by the notes. I am a big lover of violet-scented goodies but generally in a more old-fashioned girl way (for example, one of my very favorite things in the world is the box of violet-scented dusting powder you can by in Williamsburg, Va.)

IN THE IMP: "Dirty violets," using the term "dirty" in the best possible way ... as in real, dark, moist earth you dig up while gardening.

Dabbed onto one wrist and crook of arm while co-testing with Baba Yaga on the other arm (trying to make SOME headway through my collection for reviews and a fully-functional swaplist AND wishlist).

WET: Unfortunately, the more masculine (IMHO anyway) "sub-notes" quickly amp up to the surface with my skin chemistry so that while the spicy scent of violets and their friends remain for a little while, it gradually becomes much more men's cologne than feminine perfume.

DRYDOWN: It's just not me. Despite the name which makes me thing of girly things (my own inference, I'm sure not implied), it's just a guy thing.

Score: On a scale of 1-5, a 3 but not a keeper.

OVERALL: I think this would make a wonderful scent for a guy. And if MY guy was even remotely willing to wear cologne I'd keep this and ask him to dab it on. But he hates smellies on himself (sensitive skin, whatever) and while his sense of smell is so minimal that he doesn't mind my constant playing with my BPAL because he doesn't really notice it unless I stick my wrist in his face, he won't wear it either. So someone (or someone's guy) will be the eventual beneficiary.

Very pale yellow, tested blind.

In Vitro Perfumy and slightly sweet.

Wet First impression was citrus, which turned into something like lemon verbena. It reminded me of a lemon-herb Ricola lozenge.

Drying This mellowed and sweetened but retained the bright top note. It faded very quickly and was gone after two and a half hours.

Huh. I like the scent of violets but I didn't pick it out in this test, and I don't know where the citrus came from. This imp will stay in its box for a while.

Got my Big Bottle of this with my last order. I love violets, this is my favorite violet from BPAL, right up there with The Raven. It's rich and lasting, very violet with something deeper grounding it and making it interesting. :wub2: :wub2: :wub2:

The Lab sent me a frimp of this, but given my bad history with the Lab's violet note I was afraid to open the imp at all. It's the one note that is sure to give me a migraine if I put it on my skin, but I wanted to see if this time it might somehow be different. I so love patchouli and currant notes, and I was curious about the Spanish moss note because the stuff grew all over the place at the beach in South Carolina where my family would spend many a summer weekend when I was a kid. That piqued my curiosity enough that I risked at least smelling the imp in hopes that the violet might not be too powerful.

:uhuhuh:

At least I was able to get it away from me before the pain started, and all that happened was a head spike and a little nausea. This should be my lesson never to take the chance on smelling a scent containing violet at all. Actual violets have never seemed to bother me, but I just can't handle it in in a scent.

Even though I couldn't give it a skin test, I decided to review it anyway because if anybody else out there finds that violet is a migraine trigger, they might want to steer clear of this scent. Having said that, if you enjoy the Lab's violet note, then by all means do try this. I have a feeling that it, like the other violet blends I tried before finding out it hates me, will have a lot of throw and smell deeply purple.

Received as a frimp.

Overpowering floral in the imp, dries down to pure violet. There's a strange depth under the floral notes that definitely doesn't agree with me. Maybe the moss? It's something earthy and it makes this blend more interesting than violet alone, but it's not for me.

I have wanted to try this one ever since the Pharmacopoeia was announced, so hurray for frimps!

Wet: soooooooooooooooooo much moss! Cheap aftershave territory for Tzi :(

20 Minutes: still lots and lots of moss. I can kind of detect the patch and the violets (or I just really really want to and so I'm imagining it), but it is still mostly straight up aftershave. It takes me back to my grandfather's bathroom. His aftershave smelled exactly like this.

Dry: I don't think I'm going to make it to the dry down. I usually like masculine scents, but apparently not ones with oakmoss!

Tzi

In the imp: Patchouli! Big, dirty, earthy patchouli. I can spot a little bit of violet but really the patchouli is too big for anything else to show up much in the imp.

Wet: Still lots of patchouli but the oakmoss amps quick behind it (me and oakmoss have that sort of a relationship) and it keeps the patchouli in check with it’s lovely moss-y, musky scent. The violet is there in the top, it’s not a big floral but it really works well with the patchouli and oakmoss, it’s the perfect complimenting flower! Not getting much red currant at all, which makes me sad because I usually really like it in blends like these.

Dry: Really even blend between the oakmoss, patchouli and violet. Dirty, almost herby patchouli, beautiful oakmoss - a little musky, a little citrus-y, and the violets.

It really ends up like a floral “Omen” for me! That's probably the oakmoss association talking but really, this is a great floral and patchouli blend for me. It's pretty, herbal and dirty, but it's something I wear a lot of. When I'm through my two frimps I'll probably grab a big bottle of this.

Back in the mid-80s, I loved to wear a patchouli oil my sweetheart had given me. My work supervisor objected to it, saying that it smelled like liniment. That's my initial scent impression of Bruised Violet Compound: earthy, camphorous patchouli. It really fits the old-fashioned medicinal concept. It amuses me, but that kind of fragrance is not my style anymore.

The brash patchouli phase lasts about 15 minutes on my skin. Then something gorgeous happens. The patchouli softens and moves back to support the violets and moss. Now it smells like a misty, shaded forest in autumn, with violets and rich earth underfoot and moss on the rocks and trees. It's lovely and delicious and absolutely worth the initial phase. Low throw at this point, and long-lasting.

I've found a new BPAL love. Thanks so much to my circular swapper who surprised me with a bottle!

In the imp: Smells like this one Herbal Essences shampoo/conditioner I use sometimes. The one in the purple bottle.

Wet on my skin: Very sweet violet with a juicy under-currant. (ha ha)

Dry: This remains sweet on me, with almost none of the patchouli or moss. There's a very faint hint of spiciness, but otherwise this one is all sweet, powdery violet and juicy currant. It's fading very quickly, which is alright with me since this is a little sweeter than I usually like to wear. I'm sure it would be much nicer if my skin brought out the moss and patchouli, so I'll try it again after it ages a bit and see how that goes.

Just got this in the mail, and I'm happy I bought a full bottle.

In the bottle: *strong* violet and patchouli... very very "wet" smelling, the violet was overwhelming for me versus the patchouli

Wet on skin: the patchouli and violet fight for dominance briefly and then settle into an order with the patchouli in the background fading, a little sweetness from the currant starts to come out.

Drying Down: The sweetness of currant comes out more and plays with the violet, which becomes more dusty. I can definitely see this being a cellar with the floor covered in dusty trampled violets with the scent of wafting home made red currant preserves. Patchouli is in the background amping everything up. It's actually a little overwhelming in sweetness briefly and makes me dizzy if I keep smelling it. There is a surprise at the end when the patchouli comes back out as a prominent note and sits side by side with sweet yet tart violet. This is very calming and makes me feel like meditating in nature, by water where violets are growing, no longer sweet so much as tart and fresh. Like violets coming back to life outside. Triggers my body to relax and merges very nicely with my chemistry. The last note to come out strongly is the moss with the violet fading in the background, the fading violet prevents it from smelling too aftershave like and is definitely still there, but I can see where the aftershave comment came from. ...Oh no wait, I'm wrong. All of the above keeps playing as I walk around and keep sniffing. Patchouli comes back, then fades, sweet violets again. I love this! It keeps changing...

Definitely a keeper, but use sparingly... it's strong. I was hoping for more of a soil note, but I love love love this. 4/5

Edited by MarlaMoreau

I got a frimp of this, and because of my "must try everything possible" rule, I bravely soldiered on. Violets give me a migraine, so I just dabbed on the tiniest amount and am standing ready to scrub it off.

But it doesn't actually smell like violet at first, I get mostly moss and what I think is the patchouli root - doesn't smell like patchouli, smells woodier. Could be a combo of the two, but it's not currant or violet, I can tell you that.

It's starting to smell like....buttered bread?? When my I put my nose to my arm it's beyond weird. In the throw there actually is some violet, but not enough that I'm feeling sick yet. I'm still getting a weird, buttery yeasty thing going on too. Huh.

Well, I'm going to wash this off before the violets come out and make me sick, but it's actually kind of interesting, and if I was just a little braver I might let it dry completely, but I'm not.

I'm not usually a fan of violet, because to me it often smells kind of "chemical", but I try to test all the imps that come my way, so here we go...

This scent has a cool freshness to it, and that chemical-smelling violet is there, but I feel like it fits in with the overall scent and its medicinal aesthetic. I think the cool freshness is mostly from the Spanish Moss - I tried the SN a while ago and described it as "kind of earthy, but kind of light in a way, and green; fresh without being dryer-sheety." I'm definitely getting that kind of impression here too.

On my skin: Mostly I get that chemical-violet at first. I think I can smell a bit of the currant, it warms the scent a bit and gives it a teeny bit of spice. I'm not sure how patchouli root differs from a normal patchouli note, but I'm not smelling the "BO" type patchouli scent in here. I think it's just kind of giving the scent a "base", a bit of an earthy scent.

As it starts to dry, it's kind of reminding me of soap. The actual "soap" scent itself isn't there (in some blends it definitely can be) but it's one of those scents that kind of smells like a nice bath product.

This is a scent that I don't actively dislike, but I find it only "okay" on me.

Edited by sunlitgarden

Got an imp from the lab. Mmm, lovely. Sweet and earthy with a definate floral (violets) on top. Doesn't morph much on my skin. Very pretty.

Ok so for this one I don't get any currant that I notice. I can't quite pick out the patchouli and moss per say but I definitley smell something in addition to flowers. I really get the dill note mentioned in a bunch of other reviews. I was so confused what the dill was until I read some reviews that mention it. I knew it smelled like something but couldn't quite figure out what. Violets are apparently a bit powdery on me. I don't really mind scents that are 'powdery' though. The color I get from this is pale purple with a blue undertone, with green/brown at the edges. I don't quite get the dark vibe other ppl are, but it's definitely an earthy, heavy floral vs a fresh, light floral. The throw is fantastic. After wearing for a couple hours, it's kind of all combining and blending and I get the sense of a "bruised" violet. Oh and at about 10 hours it's still going STRONG. This lasts a while. The scent keeps reminding me very strongly of... something... but I can't put my finger on what...? Oddly evocative and I'll update when I figure out what it is lol.

I LOVE Violets, but Violet scents don't love my skin. Alas, BVC continues my losing streak with the fragrant purple charmer. (I will have to get over my sad by lying on one of the huge patches of Violets in my parents' lawn and letting the honeybees walk all over me.)

In the imp: Violets "bruised" by patchouli, and green notes from the oakmoss. I didn't notice the currants. Smells good!

On my skin: Powdery attar of Meh. Everything flattened out, and wilted like moist cardboard. Why, skin? Why!?

Whew! Violet and red currant whammy.

These shine by themselves for a few seconds -- long enough for me to like them and look forward to more -- and then patchouli shows up and asses it all.

The patch ruthlessly crushes the flowers and fruits under its mean, fibrous heel, and sits on them with its nasty self. I look for Spanish moss to save this, but it's nowhere to be sniffed. The patch follows the rule (never written, but observed by many) that the notes we don't like have the greatest throw. It sends its odor wide, blasting out the other test scents for today.

I'm glad I put this on last. Now to scrub it off?

I love violets, but I don't always love them in perfume where the scent can take on a maiden aunt vibe. But I like this blend a lot. Besides violets, and the earthy notes of patchouli and moss, I got what smelled to me a little like bergamot and must be the red currant, which brightened the blend up for me. Unfortunately, it doesn't last long on my sponge-like skin at all.

True to its name, it is a very nice violet heavy scent. It's almost all I get except for a nice support of oakmoss and patchouli. Neither the oakmoss or patchouli are particularly overwhelming. They mostly go towards making the violet smell more earthy and like they were found in a forest. I don't get any currants, but I'm kind of okay with that.

This was my first frimp ever, and while it smells wonderful and I love it, it just doesn't seem to last on me. It's wonderful in my diffuser though. I've never been one for violets, but this one is very dark and velvety. My roommate described it as a sexy funeral home scent, and I agree!

In the imp: The patchouli root and moss are the strongest notes in the imp. The red currant adds a tartness to the scent, but refrains from making it fruity, and the crushed violets do have a crushed aspect about them.

Wet: The tart red currant is the first note to jump out at me, followed by the patchouli and moss. It's actually rather sharp to my nose. Then, the violet note emerges, with a very distinct crushed quality to it. I believe the patchouli in this is a red variety. The red currant only seems to be getting stronger over time.

Dry: The red currant note is still the dominant note on me. The patchouli and moss remain pretty strong for a long time, but after a while, the crushed violet note comes out more, so that I get currant, followed by crushed violets, spicy red patchouli, and moss. Sometimes I get more violet, and other times, I get more of the patchouli. It's tart and earthy.

Verdict: This one is not my cup of tea. I'm not very fond of violet, but it actually took a long time to assert itself on me, even though the scent takes its name from it. I didn't actually mind the violet here, but the combination of the tart currant with the red patchouli and moss just isn't for me.

This is STRONG oakmoss from the get-go, with violet underneath and patchouli in the background. It's weird enough that it took me a few hours to realize I liked it, but I find it oddly soothing. It is kind of medicinal. But I feel mysterious and witchy in it. I'm not quite sure what kind of occasion or mood to wear it for, but for now, I'm keeping this imp.

LOADS of staying power, sweeter in the late late drydown.

Wet on skin: violet and concrete. A little bit of the scent of rain on tiles after the sun has been shining for a while.

After 10 minutes: becomes slightly more sweet. Concrete has faded and violet becomes more prominent. It is not at all a dark scent for me though as others have described, reminds me of my fave Chowards Old Fashioned Violet mints. Slightly powdery, but not sugary sweet.

Overall: like it a lot, but this does not make me conclude my hunt for a black dark sensual violet. This scent is more of a pinkish violet, scent wise...like a fuchsia. Anyways! Great but not top fave. 

Starts off with soft violets and moss and quickly turns into scratchy patchouli with a touch of red currant juice.

Fresh, clean, herbal dirt.

Edited by monocainsheresy