Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Leopard403

Slippery Poppy Tincture

Poppy flowers, acai berry, and honey.

got this as a frimp from the lab! :) i originally avoided this because i knew none of these notes would be "my thing." that's pretty true, though i do notice that poppy flowers smell different than the opium/poppy note, which turns gross on me. there isn't any of that in this scent, but instead a sweet and sharp fruity-floral. the honey is subtle, i can't really smell it at all. i think i mostly get the berry and the poppy flowers in the background. nice for those who like springy fruity-florals.

First on, it's a bright, peppy, happy scent - then the sharp grasses take over. The smell is not just sharp, but on the verge of going rancid. This long middle dry-down is most unpleasant. Could this be the acai berries?

It fades to a very faint, slightly sweet poppy scent. I don't get any honey.

Not bottle-worthy.

From the description, I was dreading trying this, expecting it to be oversweet. I shouldn't have held out for so long, I'm very glad to have been wrong!

This didn't morph at all on me - it keeps the same tart, freshly-picked charms it had in the bottle. As others have said, there is a green note to this, which makes it much more interesting than a straight-up floral.

Going to have no trouble using this up. :wub2:

This didn't smell red to me at all, but green through and through. Wet: dust, dirt and a heavy layer of green apples. I felt like I smelled patchouli (the dusty notes) and green bell pepper (grassy green notes). As it dried, the apple and grassy stem-greenness lingered, and a dusty-powdery floral smell emerged, which must have been poppy but it smelled like rose to me. There was a bit of peppery spiciness as well. The drydown on me is dusty grass, a little bit bitter, a little powdery, with a hint of the flowers still peeking through. Green grass seemed like the core note, with apples (or acai berries, I guess) and poppy flower seeming almost like an afterthought. I didn't pick up the honey note at all on this one.

Edited by orata

Have no idea what to expect from this. Let's find out!

Imp: A surprisingly green poppy and a surprisingly powdery honey. There's a sharp fruity smell that I assume is the acai.

Wet: Whooo! Strong fruity tangy honey powder, then huge lush poppy blooms over it. Big throw on this baby too. There's a certain green smell that reminds me of spring mix greens, or fresh-mown grass, too, which is actually kind of nice. It's a little bitter, a little tangy, a little sweet.

Dry: This has turned into a unified scent full of honey-sweetness and fresh green grass. I'm going to guess the acai berry is the tangy note, although it doesn't smell fruity at all, and the poppy is a sort of translucent floral on top of it all. I don't feel very strongly one way or another about this one-- it's just sort of inoffensive. It's also almost certainly off to a new home.

On me, this started out green green green, like freshly-cut grass. I didn't get any berry, honey, or poppy -- just green, like Demeter Fragrance Library's Grass scent.

After about an hour, though, it did dry down to a definite red flower. I got a tiny whiff of honey after the drydown, but frankly, if I hadn't known this one was supposed to have a honey note, I probably wouldn't have been able to pick it out.

Not bad at all, but for me, not interesting enough to be bottle-worthy. I'll probably use my imp and that's all.

I thought I had reviewed this one before and not liked it. I got a sample of it in a swap and didn't care for it. But I traded for a bottle on a whim because I love the decoration of this line of perfumes and now I love it. It reminds me of being out in the backyard of my childhood, where lilacs and wild poppies grew, along with the grass of the backyard and forest behind it. It is beautiful and outdoorsy. Highly recommend for those who love grass scents.

In the imp: Berry. A hint of floral.

On skin, wet: A little more even berry/floral mix, with berry still on top. No honey/sweetness.

On skin, dry: The floral note has pulled ahead of the berry, but it's still very much a blend of both.

After an hour: Floral berry, but there's a bit of a nuttiness to it now almost. It's very interesting! But the floral component is just a little too dominant for it to really be a winner for me.

In the imp: Strangely foody...poppy cake.

On my skin wet: Cakey poppy, slightly green. When it's drying down the cake disappears and a bit of citrus appears. Still rather green.

On my skin dry: Tart, fruity poppy. It's getting more perfumey, I wonder if the floral note is the poppy or the acai. I have some poppy perfumes but they don't have this light sweet scent. I had always assumed poppy to be a bit of an earthy, green floral.

This ends up as a light fruity perfume. It's nice, but the floral in it doesn't call to me.

The lab sent me decants of this and Seance with my bottle of July 2012's 13. Yay themed imps! :wub2: :-P I put some on before bed because, well, poppies. I couldn't put it on my pulse points as I was already wearing two other BPALs, so i put it on the backs of my wrists and tops of my ears. Thus I'm sure it won't smell quite the same next time.

But it was enjoyable. I feel like it's something I would put on after work and wear to bed often enough to keep the imp, but not something I would put on to start my day or anything, so I likely won't get a bottle. I don't know how to describe the scent - a sort of languid, bursting floral. Now that I look at the notes it makes sense, although it's not as chocolatey as I think of acai and I usually amp honey but didn't really notice it in this. Mostly it was like big, wet, juicy poppies.

In the vial - Wow, this is different! I've never felt poppies had much of a smell, but this really does capture the feel of poppies in early autumn; a sort of peppery, dusty redness. The acai berries behind it are bright and sharp and juicy.

Wet on the skin - acai. Lots of acai. Nothing much else.

Next developments - Ooh, there's the honey, just in the very background. I'm begining to really smell the green note that others have described. It's like fresh sap cut from a cut flower.

Over time this blend is becoming just too green for me. To the swaps pile it goes.

Imp: Fresh-picked flowers, stems, leaves, and all.

Wet: That green fresh floral with a slightly sweet and acidic kick from the acai berries.

Dry: It has maintained that fresh-picked flower aura and is slightly sweetened by the honey and berries. This is definitely a springy, happy scent! I shall happily use up my imp.

In the Imp (ITI): Honey and berry is all I get. Sadly, no poppy yet.

Wet: Ah, there's the poppy - floral and bitingly green at the same time, flanked by berry and honey.

Dry: Very green, slightly bitter floral, and berry splashed with honey. It makes my nose tickle, though.

The Lab sent me this unusual blend as a frimp with my last order. It's a juicy red and green floral scent that's very true to its inspirations when I first put it on. As it dries, though, the honey emerges and I could swear that something in it reminds me of a note in Obsession by Calvin Klein after it's fully dry.

Floral blends are like little minefields for me, as I'm never sure if I'm about to encounter a note that makes my head pound or turn my stomach. Even this scent, which was soft and pleasant in the morning, threatened me with a headache in the afternoon while it was still wet on my skin. After it dried down and stopped shouting its presence, though, everything was copacetic again. It could simply be that I shouldn't have applied it to the pulse point at my throat, because when I applied it that morning it wasn't so close to my nose.

I've learned from this that a little Slippery Poppy Tincture goes a long way and I should avoid putting it anywhere on my neck or behind my ears. The poppy and acai stick around for at least three hours. Even after that, there's a long-lasting honey.

This is probably going to be one of those imps that I'll take forever to use, so I'm unlikely to need a bottle. I'll keep the imp for sure.

Imp: Spicy, floral, very true-to-life planty with the scent of green, growing things. I get a tiny whiff of berry and honey.

Wet: This is really lovely! It smells like I have a fresh bouquet of flowers in the room. It's not a girly, soft floral either, it's a POW of really lush fragrance. There's just a bit of the juicy berry lifting the floral. I really don't get any of the honey at this point.

Dry: Spicy, flowery, and fruity. The floral spiciness has an almost incense-like quality to it and yet remains very "just-cut flower" feeling. The honey has melded with the other notes to brighten and deepen them. This is really pretty and something I think I might actually wear!

This was a lab frimp that was almost perfect! Drat that honey for spoiling things :(

It smelled exactly like freshly mown grass and dandelions! So bright and cheerful, it actually made me smile as soon as I smelled it! I don't even like "green" scents but this was just amazing, like summer in a bottle. I couldn't smell any honey at all for a couple hours, and I was hoping it wouldn't show up. Alas, this dried to salty play-doh. Hello honey, we meet again.

Started off perfect and unexpected and fun, then play-doh. Oh well, if you can wear honey and like scents like Roadhouse you will likely love this.

I have what I think is an aged imp, which smells very different from the fresh stuff. Where fresh, the sweet-tart acai dominated, aged, it's a much softer floral-meadow scent warmed by the honey. Very pretty, very natural-smelling. Wearing this in winter, it's like a breath of gentle warm weather.

I'm using an aged imp. Not sure if I reviewed this already. I'm really liking this right now. There's a nice poppy and green undertone. And a sweet note that pops up now and then.

It fades to only poppy on me

Edited by Lemonlife

Frimped this one from the Lab a while back, but I'm terribly behind on reviewing most of my scents, so I figured I'd jump on this one while I'm thinking on it.

Wet and in the imp, I get a lot of berries and a bit of the poppy, right down to the green of the stems. Very little honey comes out to my nose in this blend, though I can definitely tell it's there. It's tart, lightly sweet, and surprisingly strong. I love honey notes, and I wear berries quite well, so it was bound to be a match made in heaven.

On my skin, it's berries and a little honey, with a light green note that I actually don't mind. It's crisp and perky, and livens up the sweetness of the berries and honey. And it doesn't go rotting-greenery or otherwise foul as I wear it, so I'm quite happy; far too often, green plant smells go weird on me, and end up smelling like I've been cutting flower stems all day or something. It ends up being mostly berries and honey--very tart berries, as opposed to a sweet blackberry scent like Bewitched--and a faint background note of the poppies to cut the fruity sweet mix at the front. Very nice, not too sticky-fruity-sweet, not too green, just right. Has a fair bit of oomph, so it sticks around for a while and has a decent little throw. Like it, might consider a big bottle one of these days, when LEs quit monopolizing my time.

Lovely bright floral fruit--remniscent of Poisoned Apple to my memory, in the same floral/fruit family., but with a greener floral note. Bright, pretty, girly.

EDIT: Unfortunately after dry down, this goes slightly cold/powdery on me. Not for me.

Edited by delighted

Wearing this for the first time in a long, long time. And the post is actually what made me sign up for the forums again, other than Crimson Peak goodness.

BUT.

My coworkers couldn't stop telling me how good I smelled today.

My bottle is older--I think I have had this smell four to five years. It definitely smells a little different than I remember.

In the bottle: I smell honeysuckle. I suppose that is the poppy scent, but that is all I get. Sweetness.

On me: Sweetness. Flowery sweetness. No honey, no other notes, just that bright poppy.

Hours later: Still just as strong. Fading now, about ten hours after application (which is crazy and wonderful) to a more green scent that I unfortunately cannot describe.

Coworkers said: ... that I smelled like spices. Huh. So they were getting something more exotic than a floral from smelling this on my skin.

The acai berry is overwhelming when wet, but lesser so on the drydown when the honey comes through. I have better honeys so I am not that impressed with this.

Wet: Very fruity - a tart sort of fruity. If I didn't know it was acai berry, I wouldn't be able to pick it out as such - actually I would have guessed apple! There's a very faint floral hovering in the background.

Dry: This is interesting. It goes through a phase where the poppy and berry notes are perfectly balanced, and I really like it then, but shortly there after it starts smelling bitter, with some strange powderiness. Something in here isn't working with my chemistry. Too bad! That middle phase was lovely.

I like the berries in this a lot! Lovely fresh summer/spring scent.
There's definately something green and sharp in there and It's quite strong and remains to be for a good amount of time after applying and it even gets a little sweeter in a herb-y way. I don't need a bottle but it's certainly wonderful. :smilenod: