Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
flyingpizza

Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener

Sassafras, vanilla extract, oak leaf, CO2 butter extract, and onycha.

It smells like plastic rootbeer and vanilla (and there is something in here that is seriously making me cringe):P I had wild dreams about smelling like a rootbeer float (one of my most favorite things in this world), but right now this just isn't my thing. Breaks my heart it does

I’ll add my voice to the throng of endorsements for Doc’s SSS. It is a thing of wonderment, a divine gift of buttery rootbeery delicousness. I’m all agog. :P

I get no snaily bits from this.

Disclaimer: The Pharmacopoeia is not responsible for injuries sustained whilst walking around with your nose buried in your own cleavage.

I really love the vanille but I dislike that oak~thing, to bad bout that :P

the sassafras is okey, but it's not like I'm all over it..

everything together this is not gonna be a bottle for me :D

ADDED Dec. 25:

to me this (still) smells like fresh laundry haning in the sun :D

Edited by Shollin

Not just any root beer... the creamiest yummiest syrupy root beer.. the kind that will give you shivers if you ever tasted it in its true form. A divine root beer Popsicle handmade at the Ritz Carlton. This isn't yer run of the mill grocery type. Foodie haters, don't fret! I am a foodie atheist. This is fantastic!!!

Oh I am in heaven... Thank you Doc Constantine.. I feel much better now :P

I've been loving the Stimulating Sassafras. I don't think that it smells like a rootbeer float, exactly, because the vanilla isn't strong on me, but I think the vanilla adds a smooth bit of sweetness to this that makes it smell like the perfect rootbeer. It goes on smelling like rootbeer candy, and then dries down to smell like really good rootbeer.

Oddly, I don't get any butter from this while I wear it, but if I wash my skin where I've applied the oil, it smells like pure butter (ie: if I put this on my wrists and then lightly wash my hands, it smells like butter). Thankfully, I love that smell.

I'll definitely need a couple bottles of this :D and I have the urge to put some of this oil into unscented lotions. I want to be able to really slather it on :P. The staying power of this isn't great on me, probably only 1-2 hours and it doesn't have a lot of throw. I don't mind re-applying, though, because this is a great pick-me-up scent.

OMG. I just got a decant of this, and it is the total crack! WANT. I want to bathe in this. I want to swim through oceans of it. The sassafras is perfectly mellowed by vanilla and something else, probably the onycha, and it's good good GOOD.

I want my whole house to smell like this. Oh, so good.

Wow. It smells, both wet and dry, like the world's best rootbeer float-- not too sweet, a touch herby, and the perfect amount of vanilla. Brilliant!

I love creamy, vanilla scents, so I was interested. After comparisons to Love’s Philosophy, I had to try this. I searched around until I snagged and imp of it.

In the imp, I’m waiting for the cream to jump out at me, and it doesn’t. My initial impression isn’t of cream at all, but strong, herbal, medicinal, capital-S Sassafras. On second sniff, there’s also something faintly aquatic about it. But mostly it smells like a sweet old-fashioned tonic. Horehound or the cola syrup my grandma had for upset tummies. It verges on licorice-y. It’s sweet, but dry.

Wet on my skin, I get a super-strong kick of sassafras, followed immediately by a sweet spiciness. It makes me think of the feeling you get it your mouth when you drink sassafras tea. It smells wholesome, and refreshing, but more like a treatment than perfume. Happily, a lot of the medicinal sense I get from this falls right off as the oil settles and warms.

As it dries on my skin, oh noes! I’m getting hints of the freshly sharpened pencil smell that prevents me from smelling the vanilla in Tombstone. The oak leaves maybe? It’s not as strong in this scent, possibly because the spicy sassafras is holding it down. It dries a little further, and the pencil sharpener smell settles back to a mild wood-dry leaf-y scent. I breathe a huge sigh of relief. The sass and the wood settle into something warm, smooth and spicy sweet. At this stage, this is something I would wear as perfume.

Dry on my skin, it’s curly, woody dried sassafras bark and ahhh, here’s the creaminess. It’s been hiding behind the more aggressive notes all this time, lending smoothness, and waiting for its turn to peek out. It’s not crazy creamy or buttery on me though, which I appreciate. There’s just enough creamy sweetness to make this velvety to my nose. Sniffing it is the olfactory equivalent of stroking a length of light golden brown silk velvet. It’s comforting. I bet this would be amazing layered with something lightly musky.

This isn’t really much like Love’s Philosophy to me. To my nose, LP was vanilla cream, butter cream, ice cream, and a dollop of spicy root beeriness. SSS is more herbal, dry and almost peppery spicy, with a bit of cream to take the edge off. This is different enough for me to justify owning a bottle of both. LP is for when I’m in a definite food-y mood, and SSS is a refreshing, yet warm and spicy scent that I can wear whenever I want. I’m rather pleased that SSS isn’t a root beer bomb on me. As much as I like a root beer float, I wasn’t sure I wanted another scent to make me smell like one.

Positively delightful.

In the bottle: Sassafras and/or sarsparilla, crushed leaves, ice, a touch of maple sugar, and something bubbly but not specifically root beer to me.

On me: It almost smells like someone was trying to make root beer from things in their garden, it's too earthy for me to call it 'root beer' although it is very reminiscent of the beverage.

Later: Nice staying power, does get herby and slightly medicinal while still retaining that fresh and bubbly sweetness.

Love. This I purchased at the Whole Foods in Georgia that recently started selling BPAL.

I just can't get enough of SSS. It is a delightful blend of creamy vanilla rootbeer.

Sassafras is definitely the dominant scent which lends a herbal/medicinal vibe, along with tthe slightest

hint of licorice. Oak leaf adds dimension and somewhat tones down the sweetness of vanilla extract.

All in all this an extremely playful and fun blend.

Wet this is sweet vanilla and root beer which I guess is the sassafras. When first on this is slightly sweet and herbal sassafras, a bit medicinal with and underlying sharp bite. After about an hour this smells just like Lick It! How strange. It really smells like a warm vanilla/mint blend. After a couple of hours the sassafras is blending with the vanilla/mint combination. This doesn't change much after that. This is a somewhat strange blend. I wasn't expecting it to turn into Lick It after starting as strong root beer scent. I think I'll keep trying this one because it's a bit unusual and I'm curious to see how it will age.

Interesting, interesting. Stimulating Sassafras Strengthener brings to mind breakable-to-the-touch brown leaves. I suppose that's the oak. It's an earthy, mild scent. Though a little more astringent and herbal at first, it calms down to this lovely stage pretty quickly. Behind the outdoorsy, dry leaves note is certainly root beer. More of a root beer float considering the thick, creamy vanilla mixed in with it. I think this suits late autumn-- cold, brown, and down-to-earth, but comforting. Not too sweet, not too foody, not too anything. Just a pleasant oil, which I think will grow on me with time and maybe a bit of aging. :P

In the bottle: Black Necco wafers!

Dry on skin: The first time I tried this, I was very disappointed, because I could hardly even smell it when I tried it on my arm. I tried it again on my pulse points, and wow, what a difference! Something about that magic half-degree, I guess. This is a very lovely scent- warm and pleasantly medicinal. It's got a bit of throw, but it's light enough not to be bothersome. Very nice for everyday wear, I'd imagine, and just forceful enough to be a good unisex scent.

Edited by prettybird

Tombstone light--if Tombstone is a rich, decadent rootbeer float, this is the diet version that's still pretty tasty. Mostly sassafras and vanilla, with nice staying power.

I really liked this in the imp -- sweet vanilla, sassafras, not too medicinal or herbal. Unfortunately when it goes on my skin, it turns into dirty diapers. :D Since I like this one so much in the imp, I'm going to try and hold on to it till next summer to see if it's any better once my skin chemistry settles down. Right now, though... :P

imp: root beer float. this is root beer and vanilla.

wet: sassafras. this is not strong and sharp (as i feared it would be) it's smooth.

dry: this dries to a soft sassafras scent, more leafy and fresh than rootbeer-y.

Holy crap, this is GOOOOOD. Root beer float with a slight earthiness. I bought an imp of this after someone on LJ said it smelled like Black Lace on her. It doesn't smell like BL on me, but I truly dig this.

Sniff-glued-to-wrist yumminess: sweet root beer! With a creamy vanilla. It's draft root beer, not mass produced commercial root beer. Something a little down-to-earth about it, perhaps the oak leaf. Seriously addictive.

I LOVE root beer (ginger beer, ginger ale, etc) so I had to try this.

Definitely root beer in the bottle. I'm a little concerned; I don't really want to SMELL like root beer, do I?

But on, it's just sweet and buttery with a little sharpness. The root-beer that is overpowering when wet definately settles down to a calmer more soft sassafrass-y-ness as it dries.

This is unusual and hard to describe, but really wonderful and unique. Not too foody, not to sweet, not too sharp. A nice, warm winter scent.

Imp: yum; I suppose that's the vanilla and sassafras...

Wet: still pretty yummy, but I detect a faint medicinal tone; kind of metallic...

Initially applied, this scent is a pure root beer--like natural root beer, with a slightly herbal and medicinal quality to it. (When I first tried it, there was a strong initial butter note, but that has thankfully disappeared over a few months of aging.)

Drying down, this is a scent of sweet, herbal root beer, that becomes more and more indistinct until it's a fuzzier, less sweet scent in a couple hours.

After a bit, this starts to go sour on me, confirming my growing suspicion that certain BPAL vanilla notes do this on my skin… Interestingly, over the next few hours, pure sweet root-beer swaps out with fuzzy sour-staleness seemingly every half-hour or so. This is probably not a good skin scent for me in the future, but I will probably try it elsewhere.

Recaplet: Natural root beer, but then the vanilla goes bad.

My rating: 1 of 5 (I'm not fond of it.) … with potential to change if it works in a locket or my hair.

Color impression: Pale root-beer brown.

In the imp, that's definitely root beer.

On though, it's a herbal-ish root beer that's lovely without being generic root beer. I think it's the oak leaf I'm getting along with the sassafras--saying the word sassafras alone will forever make me think of saloons in the Old West--I think the vanilla is there too, but it's hiding in the background.

In the bottle – OMG :yum: first you get a hit of vanilla and the almost rubbery scent of the sassafras :yum:

Wet on me – A layer of thick sugary vanilla, which disappears to leave me smelling like a dentists surgery

Dry on me – At first the rubber of the sassafras makes it very like Tombstone, but then it becomes sweeter, and richer, and creamier

Overall – I like this a lot – a cross between Tombstone and Antique Lace :yum:

Edited by Ajila

Fizzy sassafras, vanilla, and herbs. Yummeh! I am a little worried of a plasticky note I notice in the imp, but I'm hoping I won't get that on my skin.

Oh man, this is awesome! Like Love's Philosophy double the sassafras and half the vanilla. Sooo delicious and great throw! I can also tell this will be a blend that lasts.

After giving this some time to settle I am confident in saying that this is an amazing blend. If you liked LP but want something with an even more supercharged Sassafras kick, this blend is for you.