Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

Morocco

The intoxicating perfume of exotic incenses wafting on warm desert breezes. Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia.

Summary: Very nice, but I I doubt I'll use up this imp before next winter. I'll wait until then to see about refils
In bottle: Musky vanilla
Wet: Musky vanilla with some white florals coming up from behind
Dry: nice warm scent, more for winter than summer (not as spicy as I'd like for summer sultriness)
Later: lasts really well settling down into a very long lasting (15 hours and still going) sweet warmth.

I adore Morocco.

I can't add anything new to what's been said already - It is definitely evocative of Snake Oil, but sweeter and more "golden" while SO to me is more of a "burnt sienna" scent. Vanilla is not listed in the notes, but I'm getting a strong vanilla vibe. Spicy, delicious - very sexy.

This is absolutely gorgeous and just shot right up to my favorites!

Unfortunately, on my skin, the staying power is a bit on the light side - maybe this will change with age. I do suspect this will age beautifully.

Bottle purchase: YES!

:P

The description for this one is everything I could hope or dream of in a perfume. Please work, Morocco, oh please.

In the Imp: This one is very lightly colored, which I wasn't expecting. It's almost clear, and I anticipated a yellow or even orange blend. Hrrm. Let's have a sniff, then. Mmmm... sweet and creamy. I can smell vanilla, and musk, and a few transparent spices. It smells... very classic, almost commercial, but not commercial in a bad way, just a sophisticated one. I think it's the clarion note of the carnation making it seem that way.

Wet: Wow, this is really... feminine and complex and... yeah, commercial, but again, not in the bad way. It smells vintage and wonderful. I was expecting something a bit more like a spice-market, but this is very soft vanilla, musk and carnation with touches of gentle spice. I can smell a little cassia, and a bit of sandalwood. There's an impression, too, of blowing curtains or clean linen, and a hint of powder. It's absolutely lovely, but not at all what I was expecting. It's quite light (admittedly I only put the tiniest drop on), but the throw is decent.

Dry: Creamy, powdery sweet vanilla and musk, with floral and spice. This is Audrey Hepburn or Sofia Loren in a bottle, right here. A classic beauty. I like Morocco a lot, and my boy adores all things '30s-'40s-ish, so I'll probably keep this around to wear when I'm dressed up all vintage, but it definitely feels like a costume-- something I'd put on to not be myself for a while, rather than accentuating my regular old personality. A special occasion scent, if you will.

Like WidgetAlley I was expecting a much darker golden or reddish oil. This was surprise Number 1!

In the imp - a heady sweetness but it's not at all cloying

Wet - A warm, golden softness arises with wafts of vanilla. There are spices here but it's so beautifully blended that they sway in the background rather than dance.

Drydown - This isn't an 'in your face' oil at all, rather it whispers, but it lasts for many hours for all of its gentleness. It didn't change on me the whole time I was wearing it.

Yes, Morocco, you surprised me but I'm putting you on my 5ml list! :P

In the vial: I smell the musk and I think the red sandalwood.

On me: Warm, sweet and spicy yumminess. This lovely scent stays on me for hours and hours. I love how exotic this is and how comforting it makes me feel. I could wear this day or night, Summer or Winter and I would still feel good.

Final verdict: MUST BUY BOTTLE!

In the imp: Sweet, foody spices.

Wet: Ah, cassia -- just enough to give that sweet-spice tang, not enough to burn my skin, although I didn't really slather. Florals come up here -- there is surprising depth and complexity for the light color of this oil. Something almost like apples? Yes, similar to what I get from Manila.

Drydown: I don't smell either the sandalwood or musk as notes per se, but I'm pretty sure of what they're doing in this blend -- amping the sweetness of other notes, and providing the again-surprising staying power. The cassia is just enough like cinnamon to be very foody throughout the drydown. It's hard to pull out individual notes; everything is so nicely balanced.

I don't like to gender-ize blends, but this really is so slinky and feminine that it merits mention. Yum! I love this one.

Wet it smelled ghastly, like medical herbs. I didn't have high hopes for this one, but this is actually the first blend to do a complete change on me. After about 10 minutes I was starting to get more musk and dry spices, which chased all the bitter herbs away. It's a light scent, but I find it's utterly lovely, an incredibly sophisticated scent.

Oh, lovely Morocco... why are you so faint on my skin?

On first application I get a clean, soft, slightly spicy burst of vanilla-y musk. It is lovely, and reminds me of Antique Lace, but not as strong. On my skin it dries down to an even more elusive version of the wet stage... oh so soft, and delicately spicy. Unbelievably feminine and beautiful.

Unfortunately I feel like Morocco doesn't have much staying power on my skin, and most likely not a whole lot of throw. No way am I swapping this imp away, though... maybe it's time for a scent locket?

ETA: What the balls, me? Morocco is not at all faint when I wear it these days; maybe when I first reviewed I was having nose issues? ANYWAY... Morocco has jumped up well into my top 10 BPAL scents. It's so luxuriously, sophisticatedly, come-hither-but-be-suave-about-it divine. I put it on nights when I'm wearing my vintage slips to bed... someone mentioned this is Audrey Hepburn and Sophia Loren in a bottle... yes. It's like wearing the sex appeal of back-seamed cuban heel stockings and a prim 40's cocktail dress. Classy, yet hawt.

Edited by dorothy humbird

This didn't strike me very much in the vial but it makes a wonderful transformation once it is on. I get the impression it would smell nice on clean, unscented skin otherwise it could go a bit foul..

HOWEVER, it is heavenly. A slightly sweet, gentle smokey spice. I get the colour bisque from this. It lasts quite a long time too! I wore it to a party last night and despite the smokey environment I can just about still smell it 18 hours later!

The first review says it all: I completely agree with the musky vanilla verdict. Thevanilla is perfectly creamy, so this feels almost foody, like custard. Not a smell I would associate at all with Morocco, but with Spanish puddings with vanilla, cinnamon, a teensy bit of clove...

Sadly, it doesn't have much throw on me, but it's such a lovely scent that I'd rather slather and use the imp in one or two applications, than to swap.

In the vial (initial impression):

I'm surprised to find that it's quite mild, and somehow vanilla "flavoured" - I expected a wild riot of spice abnd incense! How curious. At a second sniff, I can sense some hidden notes of stronger stuff.

Initially on (wet):

Light spices, soft incense, but really quite gentle.

Wearing it (dry):

20-30 mins after application, it's a wonderously gentle and alluring scent. I'm still flabbergasted at its gentleness and warmth - it's oddly creamy, yet full of exotic twirls. I'm a little in love! My cat approves greatly, as well.

An hour later, I'm a little concerned that it might be so mild that it's already fading, which would be a first for any of the BPAL oils I've tried. But I'm still in love.

6 hours later, it's still around, but rather faded. I'm in love though! :P

Finally:

A keeper! ^^ I'll just have to apply it far more richly than the others.

This is very much like queen of sheba on me...except with distinct carnation at one point. (almonds in the other dont come out on me)

I love this one but it is so similar to both qeen of sheba and scherezade on ME that I dont know which one I will end up on my big bottle list...but its in the running...and one of the 3 will be on the big bottle list for sure!

I must mention though, strong scents are not so strong on me. Even things with vetiver and dark musks are kinda light on me. So, for what its worth...this was the least strong of the 3 I need to pick from. Totally yummy though! Before I had tried Queen of Sheba or Scherezade, this was one of my top favorites. LOL, and now I am just confused!

I've had this imp sitting around for a while, and hadn't tried it because every time I sniffed I went "eehhh" and put on something else. The past couple days I've seen it mentioned a lot, though, so I went for it.

O.M.G.

This has vanilla creamy sweetness, delicate spiciness, and the musk and sandalwood are just right. Wet, I wasn't taken by it, but as soon as it dried, it blossomed into this heady, lush scent that was distractingly sexy- enough that I don't think it will make it into my regular rotation unless I get used to it. It's too hard to do research when all I can think about is getting it on. I'm definitely getting a big bottle, though, for when I don't want to think about anything else. :P

While wet, Morocco is fruity and spicy. It reminds me of mulled wine, but both the spices and the fruits used to flavor the wine are exotic.

On my skin it's very musky, and the musk and the sandalwood are of equal strength. There's a strong spiciness in the background--I think it's the cassia.

However, it fades very quickly.

In Imp: Smells like men’s deodorant and automotive fluid.

Wet: Changes to men’s deo and vanilla. #1 says it smells like icing, #2 says it smells like cake. No wait, he’s changed his mind: oranges. I don’t get any of those at all. This has a complex blend of changing scents! I get the musk and cassia (like cinnamon).

½ hr. Dry Down: Still strong, the men’s deo is hanging in.

2 hrs. Dry Down: Nicer! More like women’s perfume, I have a bottle of something that smells like this. Lu Lu Guiness “Cast A Spell”. Love it!

When my Lu Lu and this imp run out, I’ll buy a bottle of Morocco.

I can't really pull out any of the specific notes from the imp. Actually, it's like walking into a perfume store.. getting that generic perfume smack in the face.

On my skin it is much better.. musk and sandalwood. Hints of something spicy.

Ouch, it is dry and it is burning me.

I had to wash it off, it was burning.. not in a super painful way, but it was itchy and unpleasent. Too bad, it smelled good, but I can't keep it on.

To me, Morocco smells like true vanilla - the kind my aunt brings me from Mexico. It's sweet and delicious, but not sticky or overbearing. It makes me feel happy and homey. This is the only vanilla-esque scent I've been able to wear and enjoy. I can't help wondering what it will smell like on my hubby, who does all the baking in our house. Mmm.

What the hell? This has to be a mislabeled imp. I pray it's a mislabeled imp. (ETA: It wasn't. :P ) Because all I smell is a faint, creamy vanilla with a slight hint of floral. I am DEVASTATED if this is what Morocco smells like on me - I wanted the smoky incense and spices and carnation. This is rather nice, but I expected dark and exotic. Surely this is Antique Lace or something?

Sniffing the vial again, I can kind of smell what might be incense or spices, much fainter than I expected though. And the spiciness completely disappears on my skin. In fact, even the vanilla is nearly gone, ten minutes later. The carnation never made an appearance at all.

If this isn't a mislabeled imp, I am beginning to suspect there is an incense note the lab uses (red sandalwood?) that I am actually incapable of smelling (I also found Tushnamatay and All Souls to be extremely faint). That would be a tragedy, because I love incense.

I may have to try this in a scent locket, but I'm not too optimistic. If it doesn't work in a locket, I'm afraid I don't need another vanilla scent, especially one I can barely smell.

(And to think I nearly bought 5mls of Morocco and White Rabbit unsniffed! I'm so glad I didn't - both turned out to be big disappointments, and if I'd gone for the 5mls it might have put me off BPAL forever. Thanks to Sarada for the frimp - it was at the top of my wishlist!)

Edited to add: I got a second imp of Morocco as a frimp, and it seems more strongly scented than the first, although it is still not what you'd call a strong scent. It was good to confirm that the first one I got was not mislabeled, but I still don't love the scent as much as I thought I would - not enough carnation and spices, too much vanilla.

Edited by ClareN

In bottle/imp: Carnations and musk… very sweet!

Immediately on skin: This is very pretty. The carnation is the strongest note… it’s sweet and spicy, and some other spices lurk just underneath it. I can smell the sandalwood slightly.

After a few minutes: Sweet, creamy carnations. It’s very warm and creamy and not as earthy as I was expecting.

Later on: This scent is beautiful, but I was expecting something much spicier. It’s a warm, golden scent with a lot of carnation and a little musk. I think it smells a lot like the creamy carnation base in Zarita.

In the imp: warmth with powder and a hint of bandaid.

On the wrist: Carnation, with a faint hint of spice. I’m not getting musk or sandalwood except as a vague warmth which backs up the carnation. Which is odd, coz sandalwood normally jumps out on my skin. I shall wait and see.

An hour: The sandalwood started to come out, but then the whole kit and caboodle faded to virtually nothing. What’s left is carnation, the faintest whiff thereof. Swapsies.

Morocco

Lovely. The spices are warm and welcoming, they instantly are at home in my skin. There are no awkward stages; from bottle, to skin, and even after it's mellowed, it is absolutely divine. Twice I asked Ian what he thought of it, and he said "vanilla fruit". I can see how he's getting that, but that's not what I'm getting. I'm picking up on the spices, especially the warm scent of cassia, blended with musk, and sandalwood. I remember carnations to be a very faint, delicate scent, which I'm not picking up at all. This blend is perfect, the notes all compliment each other so well. It wears well, too, my wrists still smell amazing even hours after I first applied.

I love this just as much as The Dodo.

[1 - Hate] .. [2 - Dislike] .. [3 - Like] .. [4 - Really Like] .. [5 - Love]

5 : Without a doubt, one of my favorites.

*scratches head*

This one is barely even there. SO light I have to almost concentrate to pick up the scent.

Its light vanilla musk with almost undetectable sandalwood. This is SO much lighter than I imagined it would be, and I was sure I'd love this one. With the listed notes, it sounds divine.

But it's far more pale and feminine than the spicy musk I expected. There's just a touch of the carnation now, but it's still so faint.

This is so disappointing, because if it was only stronger, I think I'd love it.

In the imp: vanilla musk, like Possets' Madame X or an Oriental Antique Lace.

Wet on me: smells like root beer or cream soda. Cool!

After a few minutes: Still predominantly sweet vanilla but I can smell sandalwod too, as well as some very soft, very sweet spices that I can't identify. They blend beautifully together. Very creamy and warm and rich without being overpowering. Just a touch of carnation.

Drydown: Vanilla, sandalwood, carnation, musk. Warm, sensual and beautiful.

I can see why this is Top 10 material for a lot of people. :P

Oh, Morocco, how have I neglected reviewing you?

I got an imp of Morocco in my very first BPAL order, enticed by the promise of an exotic whirl of spice & sandalwood. I was a bit disappointed when, on me, it went 100% straight up cinnamon churros. Very foody, bakery-sweet, and a dry but ultimately non-descript dusting of cinnamon. I wore it occasionally, just for kicks, but it eventually sifted to the bottom of my imp tin.

Fast forward 3 years, and I get a frimp of Morocco in my Lab order, and I'm inspired to dredge up my original...Wow. What a difference aging makes! Gone is the fried dough, and in its place I get a glorious, rich cloud of smooth spice, pale musk & carnation :P It's still not an assertive scent - throw is modest, and it only lasts half the day before fading to a faint whiff of dry vanilla spice. But it is lovely, just the thing for when I want to feel pretty, but grounded. It's on my Top 10, a comfortable constant that warrants a big bottle to age...