Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

Morocco

The intoxicating perfume of exotic incenses wafting on warm desert breezes. Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia.

(Thanks for clover for the imp.)

Imp: The carnation and the cassia are the strongest notes I sense when sniffing the imp.

Skin: My chemistry is amping the musk, which is delicious, but it's muting the spices I fear. What I discern is a musky, flowery sandalwood.

Drydown: Eventually the carnation appears again, but the cassia remains fairly quiet. This is a very sophisticated type of scent, very warm and decadent, though I'm not sure if I get the true sense of Morocco from it, but it's romantic in an ancient sort of way nonetheless.

Edited by luna65

I'm not a sandalwood fan, but something about this scent changes that for me. The musk comes out very strong on me and blends wonderfully with the sandalwood. It's a mature scent and an intoxicating one. I personally couldn't pull off wearing it on a daily basis but one special occasions this would be wonderful. I really love how deep the musk is in this. :P

And I realize there's some vanilla in it too, but not very strong.

Tested thanks to the GC swap quikslvr arranged!

My notes on this are limited, so I really need to find another imp to test it more completely, but here's my take on what I remember and what the notes in it are. Here's the thing: Sandalwood and carnation shouldn't work on me. Morocco is gorgeous straight on, but then it goes powdery- I attribute that to the sandalwood. I love the spiciness of this one, and wish it would last longer.

I'm definitely going to need an imp of this.

I was rather meh about Morocco the first couple of times I tried it. It seemed to be terribly popular, and I couldn't see what all the fuss was about. I thought the carnation was too strong and I thought the whole thing smelled dry like a desert and unpleasant.

Then I got a frimp of Morocco from the Lab, so I decided to try it again. This time it's wonderful. The sandalwood and cassia is a great combination (and the cassia fortunately doesn't overpower everything else)... mmm, musky, dry, and spicy. And there's something creamy under there too. It's exotic and mysterious, and I love it!

I think that the first time I tried this it was wintertime, and that was the wrong time to try this. It is perfect for a very hot summer day like today, just perfect. Wow. I can't believe how much my opinion about this oil has changed in just a few short months.

Also I have a hunch that I should get a big bottle of this and put it in the back of my closet for about a year to let it age.

Bottle: sweet spices

Wet: sweet spices, incense, carnation, a little random perfume smell

Dry: this warms up on dry down, soft, dry, gentle musk, the spices blend together so well, incense, very golden and comforting, almond?

The Tunisian pastry shop description above is accurate, this scent is very golden, sun warmed, and comforting. This reminds me a lot of Eclipse, another favorite.

This is simply the best smell. Ever. Warm, musky, creamy, spicy. Flippin fantastic. This is one GC I hope never goes discontinued.

The main notes I can smell here are a warm musk and smooth, rich, creamy sandalwood. I think it’s the sandalwood that mainly provides the creaminess and richness to this scent, but the carnation and spices add depth and complement the other elements beautifully.

This is a classic, classic scent that fits anywhere but is beautiful and sexy at the same time. It stays close but all the better. This is olfactory velvet.

In the bottle: Musky carnation, I think

Wet: Still the same, musky carnation, sweet and a bit spicy, even a bit fruity.

Drydown: The musky carnation starts getting dryer, more spicy and woody. I start smelling all kinds spices through someething a lot like vanilla. It gets stronger and stronger, peppery, and very sandalwoody. It's sweet and nearly... fruity? I keep on thinking there's plum in there.

Overall: It reminds me quite a bit of a stronger Baghdad or a carnation Snake Charmer, it has the same musky warmth, and the floral/fruity element. A very sensual oriental blend, creamy, gentle despite the spices. Not something that I would wear, but I get the appeal.

All I can think is 'spices and cream'. The description is very apt, the spices do seem to wind and swirl through the other notes. Lovely! It has hardly any throw on me, but it lasts a long time.

I ordered a 5ml of this unsniffed because I knew I was going to love it.

In the bottle: Soft warm golden spices.

Wet: Exactly the same.

Drydown: After about 20 minutes it warms up and starts to waft round my nose; a warm soft sweet spiced creamy sandalwood. I adore sandalwood.

Dry: Exactly the same until it eventually fades to a soft warm spiced creamy vanilla - I never get the carnation. I know I keep using soft and warm, but that's exactly what it is.

Surprisingly for what is such a soft and light scent it lasts ages on me - I've had it on for nearly twelve hours and can still smell it on my wrists and am getting the occasional waft. It doesn't have a lot of throw, just enough for me and those I let close enough to sniff. It's a very calming and relaxing scent, one sniff instantly makes me feel calmer and I wouldn't be surprised if my pulse rate dropped.

This is gorgeous and I absolutely love it. I am so thankful I bought that bottle!

Edited by Trishek

"Here, sniff." I say.

The creature sniffs my elbow and makes a face, "Smells like Old Spice. You're not supposed to smell like my dad."

I don't get the Old Spice vibe, but it's definitely not wonderful on me. Vanilla does it's usual sit on the skin and sulk thing, and the spices are off in a corner having a party with the musk and not speaking to the vanilla. Not a good scene.

Kalli

Wow, Morocco is very sweet- when I first put it on, it's all sweet vanilla. As it dries, I'm searching for more notes and get a little bit of cassia, and faint spices, but no sandalwood or musk. Once on for a while, the vanilla's sweetness tones down a bit and turns creamier, but it's still almost all vanilla. The cassia and spices are gone, and just a teeny bit of carnation comes through and gives it a touch of a musty(not musky) smell.

Overall, not what I was expecting, but most scents do weird things on me. I hope that it will round out more with age, though it isn't too bad as it is (I like vanilla). This has a lot of throw on me, and I smell more of it wafting around a foot from my arm than by sniffing my skin directly.

In the bottle: spicy vanilla, even though there don't appear to be any vanilla notes listed.

Initial application: the scent of incense kicks in, presumably from the sandalwood.

Drydown: the vanilla edges back in, along with a little floral to tone down the incense-like scent. This is a very warm, dry scent, and it really does give one the image of a small shop in a Moroccan promenade, a blend of sweet and spicy dust lingering in the air. However, the closest I've ever gotten to Morocco is at Epcot, so I'm going strictly on imagination. Very pretty, very mature, the only negative is that it seems to fade quickly on me. It probably makes for a wonderful room scent.

Smiley rating: :P

Morocco-

In Bottle: I can barely smell anything! Onto the skin it goes...

Wet: Faint and powdery-sweet.

Dry: This fades quickly and I never got much of an impression of it. Too bad; it sounded like such a nice description!

Overall: Fades too fast. Not useful for me.

Wet: Yeah! Strong-ish wafting spicy sweet goodness!

Dry: Where'd it go? Ahh... it's become a lovely dry, slightly creamy, spicy-sweet skin scent. Has some real lasting power too, since it's still strong on my skin ~8 hours later.

Verdict: Love the scent, wish it was a tad more waft-y, but it's safe to wear to work 'cause I know I won't knock people out. :P And I hear it only gets stronger with aging.... so that makes it a bottle candidate.

i was excited to try this one, as it seemed right up my bpal alley. i get a warm creamy spicy scent, like many others. i definitely smell something similar to white musk too. i like this scent, but don't love it. but i will keep my imp, because it seems like it'd be a comforting scent.

Edited by theseagrows

in the bottle: a very light and subtle creamy spiciness. It smells very yummy, but very faint. Lets hope we get some more on.

wet: Mmm... we do get a bit more :D Light, but rich, spices swirling through a vanilla scented sandalwood. Very warm.

dry: The vanilla (musk?) amps and I get a soft, light cloud of spices smoothered with delicious, creamy vanilla musk. I sadly don't get much sandalwood at all or, less sadly, any carnation.

overall impression: I do get a tiny bit of the old spice vibe, but in a much prettier, more feminine way. Can we have this in a deodorant please? :P I know I would wear it! Anyway, as a scent, it is very nice, it is very warm... like the sun beating down over hot sands... so it will be great for winter. It is fairly light though, and while throw is decent, the scent itself is so light that what it throws is not much at all (if that made any sense). I'm going to keep the imp and hope it intensifies some with age.

A

Edited by Natch

If Baghdad and Snake Oil got together and had a baby, its name would be Morocco. It has the dry, dusty, slightly spicy feel of Baghdad and the deep vanilla of Snake Oil. It's beautiful, and I might eventually get a bottle.

In the bottle: vanilla and almonds (and I guess those notes are not listed, so I'm weird!).

On my skin: spicey vanilla. Not at all what I would imagine Morocco (the country) to smell like (I'd expect jasmine or orange blossom) but very pretty and feminine.

After a couple of hours: it stays there... all warm and lovely. The cassia's present now. It's a lovely winter scent (because it makes me feel warmer).

Verdict: nice! Golden.

from the listed notes this looked like it would be pretty good on me. musk was the big maybe- sometimes musk works (esp red musk :P ), sometimes not.

this, it turns out, was a not. somehow the whole thing became cloyinging perfume-y and kind of headachey.

on the other hand, it smells gorgeous on my friend! ah, the vagaries of skin chemsitry....

Very pretty scent. On me it's not very spicy at all, it's all vanilla and musk. I'm still waiting to see if the cassia comes out to mae my skin erupt in angry hives, but so far the carnation has beaten it into submission.

It's like a spicier, less floral version of Antique Lace. I likey!

I thought I had reviewed this already, but apparently not. So, here goes. :P

In the bottle: creamy and spicey.

Wet: creamy and spicey, really lovely, but very light.

Dry down: creamy, spicey, lovely and exotic.

30 minutes: a spicey, creamy, lovely exotic scent. Still very light, and no throw.

Conclusion: beautiful. This is really nice, my only complaint is it is a close to the skin scent, and my skin rather than amping the spice, seems to eat this one like it was a snickerdoodle cookie. But I think I might need more of this one.

Rating 1-5, on my skin this is a 4.5.

I actually get sort of a myrrh out of this, with a light sandalwood. It's pretty and delicate. Reminds me of one of my favorite Bath and Body Works body washes. Musk is hiding, as are the florals.

this smells like a spicy, creamy vanilla on me - I don't see any vanilla notes listed though! very strange. Morocco is gorgeous; I'm going to see how quickly I go through my imp, but I may want a bottle of this in the future. :P

Morocco threw me for a loop at first...it smelled nothing like I was expecting! It reminded me a lot of Oblivion (the sandalwood, maybe?) and a little bit of Black Opal, somehow.

After a while, as it dried and warmed and I started to get past my expectations, I very much enjoyed this scent. Smells dry to me, woodsy, and spicy. I am also picking up the sweetness/vanilla (?) that others mentioned in their reviews. At first I thought of it as feminine. Then I realized it could actually work really well for me, in the right setting, like a formal occasion or wedding or something like that. I kept thinking of hot desert winds, although not so dry and harsh as Scarecrow.

Mmmm, instant love! This is creamy and spicy and surprisingly softer than I thought it would be. I was expecting something heavy and strong, but this is just right for when I want to feel beautiful and exotic without bowling people over. Musk, carnation, and spice are the most prominent notes on me. Staying power is good. This is bottle-worthy... really stunning.