Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Lady_Ell

Morocco

The intoxicating perfume of exotic incenses wafting on warm desert breezes. Arabian spices wind through a blend of warm musk, carnation, red sandalwood and cassia.

I ordered a custom perfume a few months ago that is a blend of red musk, marshmallow, cinnamon sugar, and vanilla. Imagine my surprise when I tried Morocco for the first time and realized I accidentally created my own! They are very, very similar.

Morocco smells like heavy musk on a cloud of airy vanilla, with a very faint heat underneath from the spices.I generally dislike carnation (it's very close to being a death note for me) but have no issues with it in here. This scent is very light and floaty, perhaps a bit too insubstantial for me. I'm thinking of mixing it with Bengal to get a bit of stronger spice, I think that could be lovely.

In the imp: I immediately imagine a sort of reddish-brownish color. Almost the color of cinnamon, which is interesting, because this isn't a very cinnamon-heavy blend (at least not right off the bat). It is very spicy and a little sweet, but not cinnamon-spicy.

Wet: Is that incense??? It's warm, a little musky and smoky, whatever it is. The cinnamon-y cassia makes itself known after not too long, giving it a strong "Oriental" vibe. Amber is always a bit Russian roulette on me - sometimes it's powdery, sometimes it isn't; this time it is. I mean, it's not pure powder like Brisingamen became, but there's a definite baby powder note there all the same.

Dry: Lovely ambery warmth! Yummy without being in the least juvenile or foody. Sign me up!

The dry woodsy-ness of this reminds me a little of Tombstone, but this is warmer and sweeter. It's almost a foody scent here -- something smells like baked goods, which is basically always my favorite thing to smell like. But it's spicy and incense-y and musky too.

Total SEX. I will probably need a 5ml of this.

Unfortunately, Morocco reminded me of shaving cream - the barbisol one I think. Whatever my dad always used!

I couldn't get past that. I really wanted it to be this sexy, desert sort of scent. Not so much.

Edited by ziggystardust13

i got Morocco as a frimp at NYCC 2010. ive loved it ever since and found it hard to review.

my first impression was that it smelled sandy. like sun warmed sand. and the most wonderful creamy vanilla milk with spicy carnations steeped in it. i guess the sandalwood is giving the impression of dry, warm sand. maybe the cassia, too. it's almost like a hyperreal sensation of smelling the actual tree that cinnamon comes from. woody cinnamon. the only kind i can do.

it's awesome in perfume oil form and just as awesome in hair gloss form. layers well with snake oil.

everyone seems to like it on me. my best friend said it smelled "like a girl."

definitely a work-friendly scent. wore it on my job interview. it's not gonna offend any sensitive noses even if you overapply.

color impression is most definitely a creamy pink.

i find it nice both fresh and aged, but aging seems to make it more intense.

highly recommend for anyone anywhere.

Hmmm, at first application I'm not getting what everyone else is getting out of this, but my nose has zero sophistication. Maybe after all the heavy-spice incense foody snappy blends I'm missing it, but wet I can't smell any spice at all.

This is a very soft, light, perfume thing. Maybe a bit of floral. Maybe a bit of vanilla.

Ahhhhh, it's drying down, there's the warm hint of spice maybe. A bit foody, like cinnamon. It's so faint I don't know if I'm hallucinating it. Sometimes I can pick it up, and sometimes I can't. Definitely not in-your-face-spice blend, like I thought it was. Just a slightly warmer soft floral/vanilla. Very pleasant, soft, and completely inoffensive. Quite nice, if very light.

Origin: Frimp from a Lab order

Initial Thoughts: I had crossed this one off my list even thought I love carnation because the combination of musk and sandalwood usually mean amp city. And then I went to a Dragon*Con and got to try Moroccan Pumpkin Patch, which turned out to be marvelous when there was pumpkin involved. So now that an imp has fallen in my lap, time to try it.

In the Vial: Very sweet and rich musk. On the second huff I can detect the carnation. On the third I can pick out the sandalwood.

Wet: Okay, where is the vanilla coming from? Because what I'm getting is that very sweet musk/sandalwood combo, a bit of the carnation, and the overwhelming impression of vanilla. Is my nose broken?

Drydown: Okay, the impression of vanilla fades a bit. It's got a bit of spice to it now, but it remains mostly musk and sandalwood. While the amping is keeping the other notes to a minimum, the musk is not going overboard the way dark musks often do. So I'm guessing this is a light musk.

Verdict: This is not at all what I was expecting. I rather like it and think it would make a comforting work scent.

I get the spice and musk, but the cassis make this smell a little like cola on me. Cola and cream. Not bad, actually really yummy...but also not what I want to smell like.

In the imp: Sweet, spicy musk.

Wet on my skin: Warm, sweet, musky and slightly spicy carnation.

Dry: This is a rather lovely thing, isn't it? It's a sweetly spiced carnation, with a musky base and hints of dust. Very warm and cozy, and exotic. Reddish brown in colour. It's fairly light on me, definitely more a skin scent than one to wear for others to notice.

In the imp: Light, creamy spices.

Wet: Same plus a slight floral edge and maybe some almond?

Dry: Carnation, light musk and spices. It's nice, but not a keeper.

After the initial blast of carnation mixed with a very sweet vanilla subsides the red sandalwood pokes through and it melts into this glorious arid scent of spice on my skin.

I detect almost no cassia - its so amazingly blended that Im left with more of a tingle of its presence that the note itself.

Glorious blend, and one that every bpal fan should try.

Caveat: my bottle is close to 3 years old and I find this is a scent I much prefer aged; fresh is too much carnation.

Edited by sarandipitee

Wet. Mmmmmmm. Warm sweet spiciness. Hard to pick out individual notes. But good.

Dry. Still mmmmm. Ya. I need to get me more of this. Hard to review though. Sweet and spicy, but I'm struggling to be more specific. Either way, right up my alley.

I loved Morrocco. It reminded me of a Turkish market on a summer day. On me the carnation comes through strong, and is warmed up by the spices. Its of perfect combination of smooth, creamy, and spicy. Long wearing and moderate throw on me. I'll definitely need a bottle of this.

Vanilla scented plastic with an undertone of the cheapest red hots made.

What happened to me? My chemistry is destroyed!!!!!!!

In the imp: strong musk, vanilla and something plasticky and unpleasant underneath.

Wet: oh that's better. Musk, carnation, and vanilla, with a spicy undertone. It's not too sweet, but not dry either. It reminds me of the smell of warm sand? Either way, it's lovely.

Dry: the vanilla mellows and dies down softly and I'm left with musk, carnation and spices. It is a lovely scent.

Throw: average on me.

I like this, but not enough to warrant a bottle. It's a little bit too musky and spicy. I will probably use my imp though!

Bottle: A mild cinnamon musk.

Wet: Barely there. Light carnation and an even milder cinnamon musk.

Dry: The gentle carnation comes out more on me after drying. I get vanilla at this point, too. I can see the "warm desert breezes." There's nothing harsh about this blend: it's a pale, slightly rosy, sand-colored scent to me. It feels subtle and adult.

This is lovely. It became much more than I expected from the bottle whiff. A nice desert blend for someone who wants one that stays pretty close to the skin. I liked how this one unfolded on me. I feel like I want two bottles -- one to wear and one to age.

This is absolutely lovely... but.

I'm definitely getting the Vanilla, Carnation, Musk, Spices thing which is beautiful. Unfortunately it also smells exactly like the combination of my grandparents' perfume and cologne. That's lovely and obviously nostalgic but oh so traditional and just doesn't feel like me. I also find it a little too sweet which is odd considering how fond I am of Alice. I feel like I can detect ylang ylang in there (which is probably just the carnation mixing with something sweet) and I find ylang ylang waaaay too sweet, headachey and perfume cloudy.

Oh well, I shall enjoy taking a little nostalgic whiff of the imp now and then. Will be glad to have this around when my (possibly immortal) gran leaves to find grandad.

ETA: I keep trying it because I have a feeling it's going to do a Dorian on me... and one day I'll wake up and love it.

Edited by Scarlet Woodland

First impression:Morocco would smell awesome on a guy. Very masculine smelling to me. I was super surprised because so many people seem to love it... I thought I would at least kinda like it based on the description. But no. Morocco was an epic fail on me. To the point that I washed it off. It's very hard for me to describe, there is a yummy sweetness somewhere in there. But like the reviewer before me said, it smells like very traditional perfume mixed with cologne. Sooooo not my thing.

I was surprised by how foodie this smelled - not sugary sweet foodie, but exotic baked good foodie which is probably why for an incense-based scent, I didn't find it off-putting like I usually do. The red carnation adds a spicy, floral touch that makes it not as overtly foodie, too.

In the bottle: I'm not going to lie, I hate how this smells in the bottle. I also hate it fresh. So I let this puppy sit for over a year, and now it's been 3 years and I still don't like it in the bottle. Sorry carnation. You're not my fave wet.

Wet: You're better on skin, now I can smell the musk and spices -- I want to say cardamom? -- and still that gd carnation.

Drydown: The carnation takes a hike. Thank godddd. The musk, spices, and cassia come out to play and hnggggg I love it. I get a creamy note too -- what's that? Not quite vanilla though. All I know is the floral has backed off and I get a skin-hugging musk with some beautiful spices and just a hint of creamy vanilla-ish goodness.

Status: I own a bottle, and once it's low I'll seek out a new one but this one is definitely better with age.

Imp: gentle carnation
Wet on Me: the softness of the sandalwood with the gentle carnation
Drying Down: soft, slightly spicy but not OMGS spicy.
Dry: gentle musk and sandalwood and carnation. seductive but not overwhelmingly heady and yet not meek either. You wear this with a secret smile.

Not much I can add that hasn't already been said, but I'm trying to review all the scents I've tried

It's dry, incensey and sweet spicy. It's true to it's notes list, you get what you see with this one

I like it, but I prefer the non-dry incense spicy blends

This was an imp I bought in my first BPAL order (along with a Snake Oil imp, plus the frimps Eden and Tavern of Hell, full bottle of Nasty Woman). Technically, I got it for a relative, but I also tried it for the sake of this review.

In Bottle: The first time I sniffed it, I swear it almost smelled like vanilla extract to me. This sniff was spices and carnation blended together, sort of sweet.

Wet on Skin: It still smells like spices and carnations to me. It's more creamy because of the floral in it than super spicy or anything; it smells very even and a little sweet. Strangely enough, my relative tried it previously and got more of a powdery smell out of it than I did. Body chemistry, I suppose, which makes me worry that the carnation note is what did that on her (carnation is her fave flower).

Approx. 1 Hour Later: I feel the sent has mellowed slightly. It's always had a tinge of powder or marshmallow to me, just a bit admittedly (but not as much as the relative that tried it), and it seems a little more prevalent now.

------

This is another scent I find alright, but I don't think it's entirely my thing. If you like something with carnations that can come with a powdery vibe, this may be something to look into.

♔ Morocco

In the Bottle: Sweet, warm and gentle spices

Wet: Warm light musk and carnation, with gentle, creamy spices. I feel like there must also be some sort of cream in there with sugary spices because this is quite sweet! I get a similar warmth and glow from the red sandalwood as I do when I wear Jingu, though its amplified here to smell a little more resinous. The red sandalwood is riding with another note- amber? I mean, it's not mentioned anywhere in the description, but I’m getting hints of some sort of soft, warm, golden amber. It’s creamy and musky and the resins are more pronounced. It could be what is making everything so creamy and sweet as amber tends to turn like that on me (and why I love it so).

Drydown: Much more muskier now and the incense wafts in to further ground the sandalwood, the spiciness from the carnation, cassia and Arabian spices are taking the forefront now and the creaminess I got from initial application is fading. An incredible creamy, gently spiced and lightly glowing oriental scent with a speckle of reddish-pink carnation.

TL;DR: Gentle, creamy spices, reddish-pink carnation, and warm sugared incense.

I'm gonna start by saying that I cannot wear Morocco fresh. The Carnation amps to the moon and makes the whole thing smell off and funky.

I found that the Carnation note is considerably mellowed out in aged Morocco and strikes the right balance with the rest of the notes.

Review is for Morocco aged approx. 4 years.

In the bottle - warm musk and spices

wet - a warm, desert sand note swirling with spices. There's a really nice, creamy vanilla overlaying the sand. At this point the carnation is starting to peak out.

dry - Once this dries down the creamy vanilla changes and becomes drier...more of a vanillic haze...and it hits me that this is the sandalwood morphing into its final state. The sand note goes to the back; meanwhile the musk comes out and I get whiffs of incense. The carnation is there just to lend some floral spice/complexity.

My impressions of Morocco are sexy, sultry, warm, musky, exotic, and dry with a dusting of light spices and a little sweetness. I would put Morocco in the Oriental scent category. A truly stunning scent but not overpowering.